Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:35 pm

Can anyone who has been recently comment on the sunscreen that is available for use? SPF? Lotion/Spray? Will they bring you some to your villa?

Do you recommend bringing your own or using what they have?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by tygran37
Can anyone who has been recently comment on the sunscreen that is available for use? SPF? Lotion/Spray? Will they bring you some to your villa?

Do you recommend bringing your own or using what they have?

Thanks!
The one in the room is SPF 30, by the pool you had a choice between 30 and 50. It is a lotion. It is a nice product, I did bring my own SPF 70 and used that as well.
​​
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:57 pm

Availability was sparse for May but I managed to get 2 separate bookings a while back at the Cat 6 pricing.

I'd like to ideally combine them into one booking for a total of 5 nights and get the 5th night free.

Is this possible? I emailed the property directly and they said since it is now Cat 8 pricing, they can't change the reservations at all or even merge them without the prices resetting to Cat 8.

Do you think this is true? Who can I escalate it to?

Last edited by rp88; Mar 31, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by rp88
Availability was sparse for May but I managed to get 2 separate bookings a while back at the Cat 6 pricing.

I'd like to ideally combine them into one booking for a total of 5 nights and get the 5th night free.

Is this possible? I emailed the property directly and they said since it is now Cat 8 pricing, they can't change the reservations at all or even merge them without the prices resetting to Cat 8.

Do you think this is true? Who can I escalate it to?
Merging reservations was definitely possible prior to March 5 but I suspect they are correct when they say that combining the reservations would cause them to be repriced considering that it was emphasized to me by Marriott CSRs that any changes would reset the rate.

However, in theory it shouldn't matter. I have two separate back to back reservations that weren't combinable because one was for OWV and the other was for GV. I have since upgraded both reservations to SOWV and in the process assured told by the property that although the reservations wouldn't be combined, I would only be charged one set of fees (seaplane, etc.) and would not have to change rooms.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Here now. It’s amazing. Don’t think we’d ever want to leave.

Sadly our departure flight is Sunday around 11PM. Does anyone know we can use the St Regis lounge at the seaplane boarding area for a few hours before heading to the airport terminal? Will the hotel still drive us over?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Here now. It’s amazing. Don’t think we’d ever want to leave.

Sadly our departure flight is Sunday around 11PM. Does anyone know we can use the St Regis lounge at the seaplane boarding area for a few hours before heading to the airport terminal? Will the hotel still drive us over?
We were told that yes they'll bring you to the lounge however you are not permitted to come and go. So say your seaplane is at 2.30pm and you want to go explore Male that's fine, but they'll not let you back into the lounge...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
At the property now. It's simply stunning.

Upgraded from GV to BV the day before our stay, possibly due to TE / LTP status or perhaps due to our anniversary...?

Any complaints about this property are just "noise around the edges" in my opinion. Having stayed at some of Starwood's best properties in the world (STR Punta Mita, STR Rome, STR Florence, Gritti Palace, Danielli, STR Princeville, STR San Fran), this is a truly remarkable property, and an absolutely amazing redemption.

Which is not to say that the stay has been perfect; it hasn't. But staff here are genuine, and quick to address issues (as long as you bring any to their attention).

We have snorkelled several hours each day, and have really enjoyed it. The reef has only slightly recovered, so don't expect to see much healthy coral. But the quantity and variety of marine life is good. We have seen lots of reef sharks, a few rays, and some eels. No turtles yet. The combination of wonderful clear water, little to no wave action, and a shallow reef make the snorkelling quite excellent in my opinion. I had intended to dive a bit while I was here, but I am re-evaluating that in light of the quality of the snorkelling.

Breakfast is fantastic, although surprisingly the quality of the fruit is hit and miss. I had 10 days in Khao Lak, Thailand before this, and the fruit was far superior. Everything else is great though; wonderful variety, and great service.

Whale Bar for sunset is awesome! Great ambiance, good snack plates, relatively reasonably priced drinks (starting with Carlsburg @ $9).

Seems that the Tuesday manager's receptions are on a hiatus for now according to our butler. Not sure why.

They have some other special dining events though. We enjoyed the Seafood Beach BBQ that runs on Sunday nights. Pick out your fresh fish, prawns or calamari and they grill for you. Pay by weight. Tables set up along the beach in front of Crust.

Using WhatsApp is key here for effective communication with your butler. If you chat via the Bonvoy app, you will just be told to speak with your butler.

It seemed that there were going to be a fair number of FTers here in the beginning of April. Perhaps we should convene a meeting at Whale Bar one evening? :-)

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:13 am

Thanks for the insight!

Quick question, how did they know it was your anniversary in advance?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Checking in this Friday! So excited.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by rsh145
Thanks for the insight!

Quick question, how did they know it was your anniversary in advance?
I was researching in advance with the property for childcare to allow us to enjoy a kid-free anniversary dinner.

I suspect that the upgrade was due to status though. Reports seem to indicate that upgrades for Plats are not uncommon.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Has someone been upgraded to GV to OWV before? It seems upgrades are usually GV to BV.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
Has someone been upgraded to GV to OWV before? It seems upgrades are usually GV to BV.
I did, from GV to SOWV. However, I'm a return guest. The first time I was upgraded to BV.
escape4 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I did, from GV to SOWV. However, I'm a return guest. The first time I was upgraded to BV.
Great to hear, that was generous! ^
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:26 am

Here now. No upgrade as titanium. Resort full. Don’t understand the hype.
Anyone who has stayed recently... is tea and cakes in afternoon free as a plat amenity or cost? If cost - how much? I’ve asked way too many times already how much this or that costs! 😉

Last edited by CherylD; Apr 5, 2019 at 6:48 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by CherylD
Here now. No upgrade as titanium. Resort full. Don’t understand the hype.
Anyone who has stayed recently... is tea and cakes in afternoon free as a plat amenity or cost? If cost - how much? I’ve asked way too many times already how much this or that costs! 😉
If you are in a GV then yes perhaps it can be deflating and "not understand the hype" given that you do not have a water view. Sorry to hear.

Afternoon tea is free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.