Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zack14
Travel somewhere else then.
More availability for the rest of us.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:45 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by kkl
Breakfast spread was vast and good quality. Hardware and service was top notch.
Right. If a reviewer says breakfast was great but dinner at a couple of restaurants was disappointing in their opinion, I can accept that as a fair and balanced review. But if someone like @Lkaroo has mostly negative things to say about most topics, including breakfast, then I question whether the review is biased. Unless that reviewer only has been to hotels with an even better breakfast than St.Regis Maldives but I would like to see this list.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
Right. If a reviewer says breakfast was great but dinner at a couple of restaurants was disappointing in their opinion, I can accept that as a fair and balanced review. But if someone like @Lkaroo has mostly negative things to say about most topics, including breakfast, then I question whether the review is biased. Unless that reviewer only has been to hotels with an even better breakfast than St.Regis Maldives but I would like to see this list.
I am not sure what you mean by biased..? I am Titanium with Marriott and would have gladly written a positive review had it been the case. For instance, my feedback of EK on FT has always generally been positive.

Our main issue with breakfast was the quality of service. The buffet consisted of a wide spread of cold cuts, cheeses, yoghurts, cereals and some hot food although I do not believe quantity necessarily equates to quality. The selection of fresh fruit was very good. I have eaten significantly plenty of better hotel breakfasts in London, in particular at Claridge's and Chiltern Firehouse. While I have not stayed, the Ned does an excellent breakfast too.

If I had to highlight one positive, it would be that the St Regis staff at Male airport ensured that, despite a significant TMA flight delay, we were able to check in our bags for our EK flight more than 20 minutes after check in closed - but this may have been an exception rather than the rule. Our Bentley driver also demonstrated speed and commitment to rival Michael Schumacher in his prime to get us between the seaplane terminal and main terminal.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:28 am

Perfect Vacation

We are staying here right now, and almost everything has been phenomenal. We have been fortunate to travel throughout the world to many luxury properties, and the breakfast here is one of the best (if not the best) we have ever had.
​​​​​​
PITchic likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dlaiho
We are staying here right now, and almost everything has been phenomenal. We have been fortunate to travel throughout the world to many luxury properties, and the breakfast here is one of the best (if not the best) we have ever had.
​​​​​​
Here now as well and the place is pretty much perfect - with the exception of our butler who the GM is switching out thankfully.

Last edited by ab_initio; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:22 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Lkaroo
I am not sure what you mean by biased..? I am Titanium with Marriott and would have gladly written a positive review had it been the case. For instance, my feedback of EK on FT has always generally been positive.

Our main issue with breakfast was the quality of service. The buffet consisted of a wide spread of cold cuts, cheeses, yoghurts, cereals and some hot food although I do not believe quantity necessarily equates to quality. The selection of fresh fruit was very good. I have eaten significantly plenty of better hotel breakfasts in London, in particular at Claridge's and Chiltern Firehouse. While I have not stayed, the Ned does an excellent breakfast too.

If I had to highlight one positive, it would be that the St Regis staff at Male airport ensured that, despite a significant TMA flight delay, we were able to check in our bags for our EK flight more than 20 minutes after check in closed - but this may have been an exception rather than the rule. Our Bentley driver also demonstrated speed and commitment to rival Michael Schumacher in his prime to get us between the seaplane terminal and main terminal.
Thanks for the additional feedback.

What I meant with "biased" is that if someone goes to a hotel, and there are 5 positive things from their stay, 5 negative things from their stay, and the reviewer comes on FT and only talk about the 5 negative because he's upset, then in my mind it's biased because the 5 positives are not mentioned. That's not to take away that the 5 negatives should have been fixed by the hotel and perhaps were not, but an unbiased review would not fail to mention the positives. Your additional feedback makes the review more balanced indeed, in my humble opinion.

Originally when you talked about breakfast you had mostly negative comments; while I could understand some aspects of the hotel being not ideal, breakfast would be a hard one to criticize. They have an a la carte menu in addition to buffet, omelets with lobster & caviar, free flow prosecco, delicious Maldivian style eggs benedict... I have visited hundreds of hotels from various hotel chains and for someone to claim this breakfast is below average could only come from people who exclusively visit cream of the crop hotels on this planet. If you are Marriott Titanium you must have visited lots of Marriott family hotels and it's unlikely that you could find more than 100 of the 6700 Marriott hotels in the chain which have better breakfast than St.Regis Maldives. It must be top 25 for sure, if not top 10.

I do believe that breakfast has not only quantity, but quality as well so our opinions differ. Also my experience about the service was opposite to yours, as mentioned in my review the chef would prepare orders off the menu specifically to cater to my wife's tastes after he got to know us starting day 3 or so. This is excellent service as far as I am concerned.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:25 am

And what about upgrades from GV for titanium members? Who has recent experience? Thanks! im going there in april and dont know should i pay for upgrade or cross fingers and hope on my luck)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Denis Sidletskiy
And what about upgrades from GV for titanium members? Who has recent experience? Thanks! im going there in april and dont know should i pay for upgrade or cross fingers and hope on my luck)
Hi we recently returned from a six night stay as titanium’s and were upgraded to a BV from a GV redemption. I imagine having a 14 month old may have had something to do with skipping OWV.
Denis Sidletskiy likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Jhx3

Hi we recently returned from a six night stay as titanium’s and were upgraded to a BV from a GV redemption. I imagine having a 14 month old may have had something to do with skipping OWV.
Thanks! I really hope to receive OWV)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
after talking to a few friends and people here, seems April is still a peak time for the resort and we paid $1230USD to upgrade from GV to OWV. Absolutely cannot be stuck on land for a week in Maldives. As titanium, we are hoping for an upgrade to SOWV.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

after talking to a few friends and people here, seems April is still a peak time for the resort and we paid $1230USD to upgrade from GV to OWV. Absolutely cannot be stuck on land for a week in Maldives. As titanium, we are hoping for an upgrade to SOWV.
When in April? Checking in April 24th.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I saw my butler at checkin and checkout. When I requested fruits, they were charged to my bill.
yea we basically only got service from our butler at check in and checkout... and Wow that really sucks... the service seems to be a hit or miss.. maybe it depends on how much money you spend there?
But I ended up not tipping the butler at all because she really didn’t do anything for us besides driving us to our villa at arrival, then driving us back to the seaplane for departure...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:46 pm

On a side note, some people said the seaplane transfer didn’t count towards the eligible spend for them? But it did for mine... so I got 10 points for Marriott spend, another 5 points for being platinum elite and another 6 points because I used my spg card!
tygran37 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Anndr000
On a side note, some people said the seaplane transfer didn’t count towards the eligible spend for them? But it did for mine... so I got 10 points for Marriott spend, another 5 points for being platinum elite and another 6 points because I used my spg card!
And what about food and activities?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:16 pm

And what about food and activities?
The food and activities posted as well, however, I was still missing about 300 dollars in spend and I wasn’t sure why. I called the spg line and asked for them to break it down for me, but they weren’t able to pull the folio due to the resort being outside of the US/Canada, so the rep just asked how much in total did I spend while I was there and he manually adjusted it for me.. he was very knowledgeable (thank goodness) unlike most of the Marriott reps that I’ve spoken to.
3rdworldresident likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.