Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:59 am

I want to thank you all for this thread, its super helpful. A couple of questions for you guys.

I was lucky enough to score one of 85k per night OWV for a 5 night stay in April, however, my wife and I learned that we're pregnant last month.

First question is has anyone one had a successful attempt at moving one of these "glitch" reservations? I'm platinum with ambassador if that matters.

Second question, assuming the answer to the first is no, is it worth going while my wife is ~4.5 months pregnant? Knowing that she obviously won't be able to drink and will have some limited mobility (e.g. unable to go diving)? Is the resort worth traveling halfway across the world for given the circumstances (since I technically got a deal on the reservation), or should we just cut our losses and get the points back while we still can?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mindovermatter
......should we just cut our losses and get the points back while we still can?
I recommend that. You don't have a loss, you just didn't win.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:02 pm

Curious if anyone has stayed at both the St Regis and Park Hyatt Maldives. I'm really torn between the two for our 10 year anniversary trip in November. I'm holding a reservation for OWV for 120K per night for 4 nights but could also book Park Hyatt for 25k per night. I think about the StR as 40K per night when comparing to Park Hyatt rate. At Park Hyatt I'd probably upgrade to overwater for $500 per night for a few nights. I don't have Plat or equivalent status at either so no free breakfast. Seems like StR is nicer overall, particularly the room, and its got a nicer breakfast spread but not sure if its enough to justify the increased points and emptying out my Marriott/SPG account. It also seems like I'll probably spend a lot more while at the StR, mostly for food. Based on my research we probably would just do late breakfast (we love breakfast) and dinner and would be fine with most of the free activities at either as we'd probably just relax in the villa, at the beach, or snorkel. We aren't big drinkers either. We can afford the expense at the hotels but I like making sure I'm getting my moneys worth. Would appreciate any thoughts, especially if you've experienced both hotels!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I checked some random dates in July, and while the initial screen shows 60k GV availability, it then defaults to 100k OWV when you click through. Pretty sure it wasn't doing this last week?
Is it me? Or is it that the rates for OWV just went up to 120k per night.. I used to remember OWV rates were not that ridiculous.. That's twice the amount of the basic garden villa..
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
I emailed the hotel today to make some dinner reservations in advance of my stay later this month. They replied indicating that my reservations were made, however they included this - "please be informed that their might be some changes in the restaurant opening schedules, which your butler will coordinate with you upon your arrival to the resort."

Could anyone confirm if this is standard language used in response to restaurant reservations? I'm hoping I'm just paranoid, but ever since my stay at the Andaz Costa Rica a few months ago was completely taken over by a Taco Bell corporate event, I'm terrified that I'll end up in the Maldives at the same time as a wedding or something that practically shuts down the resort.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Is it me? Or is it that the rates for OWV just went up to 120k per night.. I used to remember OWV rates were not that ridiculous.. That's twice the amount of the basic garden villa..
Maybe it depends on the dates? I was checking for July '19.

I'd rather book a GV at 85k points in the offseason than pay 100k or 120k for an OWV.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
OK, we are settled in on our stay. 8 night garden villa on points for our 25th in August--points attached so I dont have to worry about this policy change.

We are going to do the paid upgrade to over water. Is it worth it to make the jump to sunset? Its about $1000 more. My wife's a little concerned about glaring sun blanketing the room. But, it seems those rooms are a bit more private with better views. I'd hate to have an interior OWV.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCroots
I emailed the hotel today to make some dinner reservations in advance of my stay later this month. They replied indicating that my reservations were made, however they included this - "please be informed that their might be some changes in the restaurant opening schedules, which your butler will coordinate with you upon your arrival to the resort."

Could anyone confirm if this is standard language used in response to restaurant reservations? I'm hoping I'm just paranoid, but ever since my stay at the Andaz Costa Rica a few months ago was completely taken over by a Taco Bell corporate event, I'm terrified that I'll end up in the Maldives at the same time as a wedding or something that practically shuts down the resort.
I don't recall getting such a note with my dinner bookings However, we did have our Cargo booking changed, not due to causes as you mention, but simply as we were the only ones booking it for that evening. We cycled past of our way to another dinner location and all was indeed dark and closed up.

I doubt a corporate event or a wedding would be allowed to shut the resort down. Even more so, I doubt you'd even get a corporate event of magnitude here.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't recall getting such a note with my dinner bookings However, we did have our Cargo booking changed, not due to causes as you mention, but simply as we were the only ones booking it for that evening. We cycled past of our way to another dinner location and all was indeed dark and closed up.

I doubt a corporate event or a wedding would be allowed to shut the resort down. Even more so, I doubt you'd even get a corporate event of magnitude here.
Exactly. IME, the only dinner reservation you need to make ahead of arrival is the wine dinner (only twice a week, limited capacity)...the rest we made day-of, based on how we were feeling, what we wanted to eat, when, etc. I think the language they are sending you is simply that they reserve the right to be flexible with what restaurants are open on a given day, based on # of guests on property, current reservations, etc (fwiw, we never experienced a last min closing, but it may happen I guess). I doubt it's a huge risk, but if you are there for 5+ days, as most ppl are, you will 100% be able to eat at any of the non-wine dinner restaurants during your time there. And if they happen to close Cargo one night, you'll get enough heads up to move it to another night.

Fear not...I've never met a hotel staff less inclined to screw over their guests than at this Reeg
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LonghornFlyer
Curious if anyone has stayed at both the St Regis and Park Hyatt Maldives. I'm really torn between the two for our 10 year anniversary trip in November. I'm holding a reservation for OWV for 120K per night for 4 nights but could also book Park Hyatt for 25k per night. I think about the StR as 40K per night when comparing to Park Hyatt rate. At Park Hyatt I'd probably upgrade to overwater for $500 per night for a few nights. I don't have Plat or equivalent status at either so no free breakfast. Seems like StR is nicer overall, particularly the room, and its got a nicer breakfast spread but not sure if its enough to justify the increased points and emptying out my Marriott/SPG account. It also seems like I'll probably spend a lot more while at the StR, mostly for food. Based on my research we probably would just do late breakfast (we love breakfast) and dinner and would be fine with most of the free activities at either as we'd probably just relax in the villa, at the beach, or snorkel. We aren't big drinkers either. We can afford the expense at the hotels but I like making sure I'm getting my moneys worth. Would appreciate any thoughts, especially if you've experienced both hotels!
I've been to PH Maldives and am headed to St Regis on Sunday. Will let you know... I expect the St Regis to be a step above PH.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NYCroots

​​​​
We got the same language from the resort booking Decanter for our stay at the end of April.

Last edited by mjrobson; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:55 am Reason: quote
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by jjakobv84
I've been to PH Maldives and am headed to St Regis on Sunday. Will let you know... I expect the St Regis to be a step above PH.
We will be there Sunday as well...but with 2 kids. I won't be offended if you run in the opposite direction!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by LonghornFlyer
I hated the PH but maybe they've improved since I was there a couple years ago. An absolute hike to get there, OWV's were dated, AC sucked, had an ant infestation prob the the management didn't give two sh*ts about. I actually ended up downgrading to a beach villa from my OWV bc of the ant issue, and they still charged me for the OWV lol. Diving was great there though if youre into that
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jjakobv84
Thanks. I would expect it to be as well. I'm just trying to understand how much more I will end up spending while there and if its worth me shelling out 120K points per night for the StR.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Quick question for those of you with experience at this resort: If I am on a Qatar Airways flight landing at 3:15pm from Doha, will I be able to make the seaplane transfer the same day? I read the cutoff is 5pm / daylight, weather permitting. Sunset is 6:15pm that time of year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.