Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
St. Regis Suite Recommendation

Planning on a 10 day stay February 2020 in St. Regis Suite. Any Preference of room 535 vs 519?

Thank you,

Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by godofchurning
Does anyone know if the plane transfer fee codes as 6X on the SPG/Marriott Credit Card?
Yes it does, because it is added to your hotel bill.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:32 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Anndr000
Is it customary to tip on the resort?? And if so, how much should I be tipping and how often?
Service charge is included in all bills, so we didn't tip. We did tip our butler at the end of the stay, his service was outsanding.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by manish
Service charge is included in all bills, so we didn't tip. We did tip our butler at the end of the stay, his service was outsanding.
thanks for the reply Manish! Can I ask how much you tipped the butler? I just want an idea of how much I should...
also, do you know if we’re allow to use the floaties in the water? I know you can use it for your own pool or the shared pool, but I’m wondering if I can use it in the ocean
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Anndr000
thanks for the reply Manish! Can I ask how much you tipped the butler? I just want an idea of how much I should...
also, do you know if we’re allow to use the floaties in the water? I know you can use it for your own pool or the shared pool, but I’m wondering if I can use it in the ocean
@Anndr000 In November 2017 we had such excellent service we tipped as follows:

Tipping:
  • 10% is added to every bill but we gave some extra cash tips the day we departed as follows (all USD):
  • Butler: $250
  • Somm: $50
  • Fitness instructor: $40
  • 2 waiters: $50 each
  • Alba hostess: $20
It was our honeymoon and wanted to be generous to these people who made it such a memorable experience.

IIRC no issue with floaties... just be careful they don't blow away. Would suck to (a) lose them and (b) pollute this beautiful place.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:38 am

Does anyone know how far out rooms can be booked? Trying for mid-February but none available. Do they release by day or by week at a certain time? Do cash rooms have priority over points rooms?

Thank you

Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:15 pm

I upgraded to SOWV. What is the best SOWV? Need the privacy for the Honeymoon

Anyone have any experience with the room numbers for this type of room?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
I upgraded to SOWV. What is the best SOWV? Need the privacy for the Honeymoon

Anyone have any experience with the room numbers for this type of room?
About midway towards the end of the jetty. The first ones will not as private due to having views from the Whale Bar, people Snorkeling from the beach, etc. The SOWV are not the most private ones on the resort.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime PP, Delta Diamond
Question

First post; have read the entire thread.

My wife and I have 10 nights in an OWV planned for the latter half of this month for the primary portion of our honeymoon. I booked this before the merger using SPG points and, reading through some of the August/September 2018 posts, hindsight says I should have tried to rebook to get a better points rate; oh well. For any FT members who have been, below are my notes, tips and other items, as well as some questions, that I’ve gathered during the course of reading the thread. If you notice any glaring omissions or have recommendations or corrections/clarifications, I’d be most appreciative.

General:
- The resort staff in my interactions to date have been wholly pleasant and responsive. Although I put forward some room # preferences I understand that it’s at their discretion; at a minimum, if not upgraded (which I in no way expect) I hope they can accommodate my request not to be assigned 522-528, where it seems the pool would be unusable (to us) due to the temperature.
- In the case of being assigned an undesirable room it sounds like we’ll have the opportunity to review that with their staff in the STR waiting room at MLE airport. We land from CDG at 10:45am; is it feasible to make it to the resort by 2/3pm?
- Although the coral is nascent in its recovery there are recommendations to snorkel in the coral patches between the Whale Bar and the first few SOWVs and the state of the coral doesn’t seem to have affected the chance to see marine life (rays, sharks, turtles) whilst snorkeling. Another recommendation was at the wall drop-off, which I assume would be good for incoming larger marine life. Any additional tips for snorkeling locations around the island?
- We have quite a number of dives pre-scheduled, including a night dive (offered only Tuesdays and Saturdays) the first Tuesday. For those who have dove are there a good variety of locations and do they work to get you to a new spot each dive for variety?
- We pre-booked all of our dinners and will rearrange as appropriate once we are on island and have a better feel for the options and quality of each option. Because Decanter is open only two nights per week we went ahead and booked both; for those who have done Decanter does the chef solicit any input of likes/dislikes in advance for driving the menu creation?
- Breakfast hours look to be until 10:30am; will they seat guests up until 10:30am? I notice that there are a number of fresh juices available; do they permit taking any of these juices to-go? We quite enjoy watermelon juice with tequila and lime and, if it is possible, I think that’d be quite good to mix in the room. Are there full size liquor (tequila) bottles available or only smaller mini-bar sizes?
- I’ve seen a number of comments on the pizzas from Crust; any comments on Craft, the lunch location listed on the website for burgers and tacos?
- 220v outlets; does the front desk have outlet converters available to borrow?
- One comment listed availability of Netflix in the room; is this correct? Do you simply sign in with your normal credentials?

Some tips I’ve compiled; what am I missing?
- Accept the unpacking and packing; it seems worth it.
- Complimentary bottled water in the room that will be stocked heavily upon request.
- Try to join the weekly manager’s reception at the whale bar. Unfortunately it is on Tuesdays so that means we’ll have only one rather than two opportunities due to the aforementioned Tuesday night dive.
- The beach near Alba is picturesque but unpleasant on the feet; a better beach option is that which stretches from Orientale past the check-in lounge through to the GVs.
- SPF 30 and 50 available at the main pool. There was a comment that it may also be brought to the room upon request; is this correct?
- Book in advance for any dining and activities; bear in mind you can reschedule them if needed.
- If booking a massage request some time in the Blue Hole as part of the service and they may provide it at no charge.
- Whale Bar is the best location for sunsets but try to arrive early.

Last edited by ATCG; Feb 6, 2019 at 3:37 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Seven7
Does anyone know how far out rooms can be booked? Trying for mid-February but none available. Do they release by day or by week at a certain time? Do cash rooms have priority over points rooms?

Thank you

Marriott policy is 50 weeks-however award avail may be limited that far in advance and rates may be wonky that far out as well.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
While the corals are still recovering, the marine life in general is still good around the hotel. We had stingrays coming all the way up to the beach in front of Alba, which was pretty cool.

We had 528, which we loved for the outward facing view, the ease of going snorkeling right from the villa, and the fact that we had both sun and shade on the deck basically all day. But admittedly the pool had a fresh temperature.

We landed at 12:30 and was at the resort at 15:30. We had one stop on the way where they also refuelled the plane, so a it longer than necessary transit. But seems 2,5 to 3 hours from landing is not unusual

We had prebooked about half of our dinners and arranged the rest after arriving. In room dining seemed to be very big, judging from the number of buggys bringing food out in the evenings, thus getting space in the restaurants was not a problem.

Crust and Craft are basically the same location, you get both menus when you sit down. The pizza menu was more appealing to us, but the burgers carried out looked very nice.

They will seat you basically until 10:30, but of you come last second you will only really get one round of ordering drinks and food, so I would arrive earlier than that for a leisurely breakfast. As they do start clearing things aways at 10:30. But they will leave you to finish your breakfast at your speed. We typically arrived around 9:30, and hang out until around 11.

Netflix is ready on the TV for log in with your normal credentials.

Getting a spot for sunset at the Whalebar was not difficult, of course if you only want the very front row tables, you might have to come rather early, but it was never over crowded and no competition for tables.

Originally Posted by ATCG
First post; have read the entire thread.

My wife and I have 10 nights in an OWV planned for the latter half of this month for the primary portion of our honeymoon. I booked this before the merger using SPG points and, reading through some of the August/September 2018 posts, hindsight says I should have tried to rebook to get a better points rate; oh well. For any FT members who have been, below are my notes, tips and other items, as well as some questions, that I’ve gathered during the course of reading the thread. If you notice any glaring omissions or have recommendations or corrections/clarifications, I’d be most appreciative.

General:
- The resort staff in my interactions to date have been wholly pleasant and responsive. Although I put forward some room # preferences I understand that it’s at their discretion; at a minimum, if not upgraded (which I in no way expect) I hope they can accommodate my request not to be assigned 522-528, where it seems the pool would be unusable (to us) due to the temperature.
- In the case of being assigned an undesirable room it sounds like we’ll have the opportunity to review that with their staff in the STR waiting room at MLE airport. We land from CDG at 10:45am; is it feasible to make it to the resort by 2/3pm?
- Although the coral is nascent in its recovery there are recommendations to snorkel in the coral patches between the Whale Bar and the first few SOWVs and the state of the coral doesn’t seem to have affected the chance to see marine life (rays, sharks, turtles) whilst snorkeling. Another recommendation was at the wall drop-off, which I assume would be good for incoming larger marine life. Any additional tips for snorkeling locations around the island?
- We have quite a number of dives pre-scheduled, including a night dive (offered only Tuesdays and Saturdays) the first Tuesday. For those who have dove are there a good variety of locations and do they work to get you to a new spot each dive for variety?
- We pre-booked all of our dinners and will rearrange as appropriate once we are on island and have a better feel for the options and quality of each option. Because Decanter is open only two nights per week we went ahead and booked both; for those who have done Decanter does the chef solicit any input of likes/dislikes in advance for driving the menu creation?
- Breakfast hours look to be until 10:30am; will they seat guests up until 10:30am? I notice that there are a number of fresh juices available; do they permit taking any of these juices to-go? We quite enjoy watermelon juice with tequila and lime and, if it is possible, I think that’d be quite good to mix in the room. Are there full size liquor (tequila) bottles available or only smaller mini-bar sizes?
- I’ve seen a number of comments on the pizzas from Crust; any comments on Craft, the lunch location listed on the website for burgers and tacos?
- 220v outlets; does the front desk have outlet converters available to borrow?
- One comment listed availability of Netflix in the room; is this correct? Do you simply sign in with your normal credentials?

Some tips I’ve compiled; what am I missing?
- Accept the unpacking and packing; it seems worth it.
- Complimentary bottled water in the room that will be stocked heavily upon request.
- Try to join the weekly manager’s reception at the whale bar. Unfortunately it is on Tuesdays so that means we’ll have only one rather than two opportunities due to the aforementioned Tuesday night dive.
- The beach near Alba is picturesque but unpleasant on the feet; a better beach option is that which stretches from Orientale past the check-in lounge through to the GVs.
- SPF 30 and 50 available at the main pool. There was a comment that it may also be brought to the room upon request; is this correct?
- Book in advance for any dining and activities; bear in mind you can reschedule them if needed.
- If booking a massage request some time in the Blue Hole as part of the service and they may provide it at no charge.
- Whale Bar is the best location for sunsets but try to arrive early.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:50 pm

Has anyone tried the "Big Game Fishing"? If so, how was it?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:37 am

I checked some random dates in July, and while the initial screen shows 60k GV availability, it then defaults to 100k OWV when you click through. Pretty sure it wasn't doing this last week?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:40 am

Has anyone here chartered The Norma??
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:51 pm

All basic room at 60k redemption were gone
iluvdoco likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.