Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by m3seeto
There are 2 option and am having difficulty to decide
Option 1 - booking with an overwater villa for 440k points
Option 2 - the GV for 240k and pay to upgrade to OWV

Do anybody know how much is the upgrade to OWV ? OK to contact hotel directly prior to booking ?

Also i only have Marriott Gold Status. so no breakfast options for me. Do anybody know how much will it cost for adults and child (4 year old) ?
In peak season the upgrades from GV to OVV is USD 300++ per night. I can't remember off peak, but if you scan the thread I know the information iis here. Please note the upgrade fee is for all nights, also the fifth night points free if you book that many.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Hi everyone,

I already have OWV secured for five nights in early April. Considering upgrading to SOVW for additional $130 USD/ night. Is it worth it? Are the rooms the same, but just with a different view/ privacy level?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Hi everyone,

I already have OWV secured for five nights in early April. Considering upgrading to SOVW for additional $130 USD/ night. Is it worth it? Are the rooms the same, but just with a different view/ privacy level?

Thanks!
The OVV can be more private than the SOVV. We had 528, which faced to the ocean. Which we really appreciated. Admittedly the deck got less sun, and the pool was probably less warm than a lot of people would prefer, but the deck did have sun in some parts for most of the day. The SOVV will get massive amounts of sun most of the day, so if you prefer some shade as we did, it may not be ideal.

Is it worth it, only you can assess that. We were anyway at the bar at sunset time for a few drinks before dinner. I guess it depends on what you really want to do.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by tygran37
I've got a couple questions ahead of my stay in April... I tried searching the thread but was having trouble finding anything.

1) What did you tip your butler? What about tips elsewhere, are they expected above the service charge? (edit: either I'm an idiot or searching the thread just wasn't working for me the other day as I'm now finding a fair amount of discussion on this point. I'll leave it in the post but feel free to ignore.)

2) Did anyone do the Coral Gardens snorkeling trip? Was it worth it over the house reef?

3) Did anyone do a Manta Ray/Whale Shark dive/snorkeling trip? I'm considering this one but it's *expensive*... (I was quoted $2700 for up to 4 people). Wonder if I can make 2 friends on the island who would want to go and split the cost? lol.

4) I may need a scuba refresher and I see they offer one (been a few years). Has anyone done this and what was your experience?

5) Can anyone confirm if the hotel will accept an American Express card?

Thank you!
I would also like to know about items 1-4. And will add - are there any preferred butlers?

Also - is it better to wait and see if any complementary upgrades are given as a PPE upon check-in? Or would a better price be obtained by contacting hotel ahead of time. I was given a price of $392/nt for an OVW which seems a bit higher than others I have seen. I have not responded to that email quote.

Last edited by CherylD; Jan 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm Reason: adding info
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL DM, UA SL, CX GO, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CherylD
I would also like to know about items 1-4. And will add - are there any preferred butlers?

Also - is it better to wait and see if any complementary upgrades are given as a PPE upon check-in? Or would a better price be obtained by contacting hotel ahead of time. I was given a price of $392/nt for an OVW which seems a bit higher than others I have seen. I have not responded to that email quote.
I did not pay for the upgrade to OWV. In terms of preferred butler, I had Ahmed when I stayed there. But I believe he has been promoted. Everyone raved about him.

1) What did you tip your butler? What about tips elsewhere, are they expected above the service charge? (edit: either I'm an idiot or searching the thread just wasn't working for me the other day as I'm now finding a fair amount of discussion on this point. I'll leave it in the post but feel free to ignore.)
- They don't expect tips, but given the outstanding service I received there, I tipped my butler $300 for 7 days. I also tipped one of the servers in the restaurant $100 for the week. They're locals, but their hospitality is outstanding.

2) Did anyone do the Coral Gardens snorkeling trip? Was it worth it over the house reef?
- I went on the Coral Gardens snorkeling trip with Roman from the Dive Center. I think it was quite a bit better than the house reef.

3) Did anyone do a Manta Ray/Whale Shark dive/snorkeling trip? I'm considering this one but it's *expensive*... (I was quoted $2700 for up to 4 people). Wonder if I can make 2 friends on the island who would want to go and split the cost? lol.
- No I would not recommend paying that much for a manta dive. I was offered the same, and went and did it in Bali for a fraction of the cost, in a natural environment. The manta points in Maldives are feeding points I believe.

4) I may need a scuba refresher and I see they offer one (been a few years). Has anyone done this and what was your experience?
- Yes I did my scuba refresher in the house reef. It was fine, the dive instructors there are incredibly friendly.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: honour, marriot
anyone had experience stay for a group of 4?

my friend had a family of 4, 3 adult + 15years old.
he plan on using 60k point but I see that room only accept 3 adult.
is there any solution? paying more to upgrade? or can they get extra bed?

thx
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:14 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by Nuttha Soontornampol
anyone had experience stay for a group of 4?

my friend had a family of 4, 3 adult + 15years old.
he plan on using 60k point but I see that room only accept 3 adult.
is there any solution? paying more to upgrade? or can they get extra bed?

thx
Need 2 bed villa
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:57 pm

How is Maldives as a destination if one does not enjoy swimming or scuba diving?
Is there enough activities on land to warrant a trip here?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Commie
How is Maldives as a destination if one does not enjoy swimming or scuba diving?
If you don't enjoy water going to Maldives is not a great choice in my humble opinion. You can get something that likely suits you much better, much cheaper and likely much closer to home (say Hawaii). However, I don't think you have to scuba to enjoy it but wanting to be in/near water, snorkel and generally do nothing would likely be what your day would look like.

Last edited by jjakobv84; Jan 31, 2019 at 3:54 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Commie
No. Please do yourself a favor and don't go. You will be confined to a small island with nothing to do but water based activities.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kkl

Need 2 bed villa
Anyone managed to get a quote for the upgrade charges to this?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Somewhere up thread, someone was mentioning upgrading to GV to a Family villa of kinds. Within the last couple of months of posts.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
In July,
from 1x GV to 1x 2-bedroom family villa : 1100 USD + taxes
from 2x GV to 1x 2-bedroom family villa : 550 USD + taxes
onlysuites likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:31 am

I'm assuming this doesn't include the extra person fees. Every person over the second person costs $330/night, so bringing 4 people would add an extra $660/night on top of the upgrade fee.

If you have enough points and there's availibility, it may be worth it to just book 2 GVs.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:29 am

Will be going at the end of March for 5 days of scuba diving. Should we reserve the scuba diving ahead of time? Or can we book it after we arrive at the hotel? Any recommended dive sites for whale sharks and mantas? Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.