Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
Checked in yesterday - going to have a fantastic 10 days here.

Regarding sun and pool temperature issues, the bolded statement above is incorrect. @onlysuites seems to comment on the temperature of sunset OWVs without having stayed in a SOWV if I am interpreting his previous posts correctly (?); he can correct me if I am wrong, but I am led to believe he was rather referring to the OWVs which are facing north (522 to 528) as being cold, which is not the same as the rooms labeled “sunset OWVs” on Marriott.com (530 to 544) and selling at a premium over the regular OWVs.

The pool of the sunset OWVs start to get direct sunlight at around noon and are directly in the sun until sunset (~6pm), hence the name of the villas. Since SOWVs have direct sunlight in the pools all afternoon which is when the sun is strongest, I suspect that pools of the SOWVs are warmer than the pools of the inner-facing OWVs which are directly opposite of SOWVs – some of those must get sunlight all morning but not starting early/mid-afternoon.

Our pool (SOWV) is cooler than the ocean for sure, but I would not consider it cold or cool. Granted I am a northern climate guy, but even my wife who is from a southern climate does not have an issue with the pool temperature.
To be honest I can't remember the numbers. If you walk to the Jacob estate villa and take a right I was staying at one of the last ones facing towards the sea. Are these the Sunset ones? Or are the ones before the estate on the left side sunset? We did not get any sun at all on the pool part all day. The open area got sun through the day.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by onlysuites
To be honest I can't remember the numbers. If you walk to the Jacob estate villa and take a right I was staying at one of the last ones facing towards the sea. Are these the Sunset ones? Or are the ones before the estate on the left side sunset? We did not get any sun at all on the pool part all day. The open area got sun through the day.
I can confirm that you were not in a SOWV. The SOWVs are those on the left but before the JJA Estate. The villas on the left and after the JJA Estate are regular OWVs and they are facing north. So your comments about the cold pool echo comments from @tylerc who also had one of those villas that did not get sun. To complete the picture, the rest of regular OWVs are on the right side of the bridge and those are less private but get some sun.

Originally Posted by vikasr
How is the reef near your SOWV for snorkeling?
Regarding snorkeling I agree with comments for other posters in this thread that St.Regis Maldives is not the best place for snorkeling. That said, there is clearly some marine life right outside our villa and elsewhere in the resort, but the reef is bleached. We saw several kinds of fish, there are turtles, baby sharks, etc. Around our SOWV, sometimes the waves and current are quite strong which makes snorkeling conditions less than ideal. Other times the ocean is more calm so snorkeling is easier and enjoyable.

Originally Posted by randomdude
I'll land at 330p from DXB. Any chance i'll end up missing the transfer?
My Starwood Ambassador told me that 3:30pm is the latest they can accommodate a flight to Vommuli. My flight was landing at 2:30pm and I was advised that if my flight was late by more than one hour I would not make it. So your flight landing at 3:30pm is right at the deadline, it better not be late by much. I would check historical stats of that flight to see how often it's on time.

Originally Posted by breef

1. Is the fruit basket are the cookies and coffee/tea replenished daily as suggested in the Platinum Amenities area in the wiki? I've read various accounts that little treats and the fruit basket is updated once every few days. Silly thing to worry about but considering the cost of food and drink it would be nice to rely on a little snack here and there.

6. Anyone bring snacks with them? Curious as to if anyone has experience of bringing some extra little snacks with them and if it all worked out? Did you buy them in Male or bring them from your destination? Don't worry, we aren't going to hold up in the room and eat nothing but breakfast and ramen, but it would be nice to have a few goodies at the ready.
No issue bringing snacks from home in our suitcase. Just don’t bring alcohol – not allowed at customs.

As part of the afternoon beverage service, we get sweets along with a couple of soft drinks every day. Every other day, these come with a fruit plate as well. See what we got today.

miles4CDG and countingmiles like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
6. Anyone bring snacks with them? Curious as to if anyone has experience of bringing some extra little snacks with them and if it all worked out? Did you buy them in Male or bring them from your destination? Don't worry, we aren't going to hold up in the room and eat nothing but breakfast and ramen, but it would be nice to have a few goodies at the ready.

I can only answer the last point as I stayed at the Park Hyatt and Six Senses and Sheraton in the Maldives and I have learnt over my multiple journeys to pack more and more snacks! It wont replace the main meals however it will say stop you going three courses or perhaps missing a lunch and just having the breakfast and then a nice dinner. Naturally you need to be selective with what you bring to ensure it doesn't get damaged or ruined along the route (due to the outside conditions and the various baggage handlers along the way) however I would highly recommend bringing food. (and yes you can get it in Male though all foods might not be available that you want or the brands you want)
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by escape4
My Starwood Ambassador told me that 3:30pm is the latest they can accommodate a flight to Vommuli. My flight was landing at 2:30pm and I was advised that if my flight was late by more than one hour I would not make it. So your flight landing at 3:30pm is right at the deadline, it better not be late by much. I would check historical stats of that flight to see how often it's on time.
Trust me, no matter how good the stats are, this is not something you should consider.

Take @onlysuites advice
Originally Posted by onlysuites
You will probably get in on the last sea plane however I would stress that you stay overnight in MLE or catch a earlier one.
It's the most sensible option by far when you are going to the Maldives
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:34 pm

Is the hotel suitable for baby? I'm thinking to bring our will be 4-month old there. Is there a doctor on site? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:56 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by pointsifu
Is the hotel suitable for baby? I'm thinking to bring our will be 4-month old there. Is there a doctor on site? Thanks in advance.
Personally I do not see a problem about bringing a baby here.

Since I am here I asked the hotel about a doctor and the answer is yes, they have a doctor on staff who is on the island at all times.
pointsifu likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:52 am

Quick question, can I use Marriott GC for dining charges and sea plane fee?

Edit: I guess the answer is no.
The following Marriott Hotel Brands DO NOT accept Marriott or The Ritz-Carlton GiftCards: Protea Hotels by Marriott®, St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Tribute Portfolio™, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, Element®, Design Hotels™
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whimike
The OP I was quoting was referring to an upgrade from GV->OWV. Were you in a GV or OWV to start with when they offered an upgrade?
I was in OWV and upgraded to an even larger, higher category OWV
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
I can only answer the last point as I stayed at the Park Hyatt and Six Senses and Sheraton in the Maldives and I have learnt over my multiple journeys to pack more and more snacks! It wont replace the main meals however it will say stop you going three courses or perhaps missing a lunch and just having the breakfast and then a nice dinner. Naturally you need to be selective with what you bring to ensure it doesn't get damaged or ruined along the route (due to the outside conditions and the various baggage handlers along the way) however I would highly recommend bringing food. (and yes you can get it in Male though all foods might not be available that you want or the brands you want)
I would bring snacks ... otherwise you might get into the situation of paying $50 for a tiny appetizer before going to dinner.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:30 am

2. Should we tip our butler $100 bill upon arrival? Now stay with me on this one, I know this may be contentious for some people. But I've also read in this thread and elsewhere that people seem to get what they consider inconsistent service until they "open their wallet." Do you think this gesture will be a completely empty one? Or do you think it may return some dividends in terms of some additional goodies or complementary items during the stay that might enhance the experience? Elsewhere in the thread someone suggested the butler has a decently wide discretion and some things they seem to be able to authorize are free breakfast (not worred now that I'm platinum) or free Blue Hole experience or the obvious showing up with more cookies, coconut drinks, etc. Any direct experience would be welcome.
Why not?

The butler has huge discretion over making your stay comfortable. I didn't outright ask for anything but did get proactive upgrades, free breakfast, etc. I didn't tip in advance, but it could really help. it's highly dependent on the butler, and a good one (and St Regis properties tend to have good ones) sense what you want and make it happen without you asking. So if you seem like you love snacks, etc., you might just find yourself with extra snacks. Tip them afterwards too!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
More reprehensible incomprehensibleness from this property. Seems they are trying desperately to rake in as many dollars as possible at the expense of guests' preference and convenience. Certainly reduces their reservations department workload.....

My impression of the property is that they aren't so polite to people using points before the stay, but when on the property, the butler handles everything and s/he is professional (and it becomes excellent customer service). This is from my personal experience. I am NOT surprised they give zero exceptions for bookings with points if you ask in advance.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

It is sad that in the Maldives you should have to tip to get above average service, and at a 5-Star+ / lux / branded property it's even more disgraceful. From this thread it is perhaps too difficult to be certain whether the inconsistencies with the butlers have arisen from lack of training and knowledge of brand standards or a mix of smart and conniving butlers and over-zealous tippers.
ab_initio likes this.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Oct 5, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by lifeisart
My impression of the property is that they aren't so polite to people using points before the stay, but when on the property, the butler handles everything and s/he is professional (and it becomes excellent customer service). This is from my personal experience. I am NOT surprised they give zero exceptions for bookings with points if you ask in advance.
I was referring to the resort forcing you to upgrade all of your stay, not just part of your stay.

The butler has huge discretion over making your stay comfortable.
Perhaps in sub-par properties and in other parts of the world where service industry workers in direct contact with guests are unmotivated, untrained and lazy. At this property this needs to be re-phrased to: The butler is supposed to, and is responsible for, making your stay comfortable.
I didn't outright ask for anything but did get..........free breakfast, etc.
You got free breakfast because your status entitled you to it.
I didn't outright ask for anything but did get proactive upgrades
You were very lucky and there was a higher category room free for the duration of your stay or they overbooked your villa category and you got bumped. Don't fool yourself by thinking that a butler has the final say on whether a guest gets an upgrade or not. All he can do is recommend. And don't you think the reservations department know that a butler has been tipped big when he says "Upgrade Mr. & Mr.s X" without providing a reason such as for the purpose of service recovery?
I didn't tip in advance, but it could really help. it's highly dependent on the butler
As I have mentioned, this is the Maldives and if a butler at a property such as this is not performing to the brand standard, he or she will be reprimanded and given a warning.
So if you seem like you love snacks, etc., you might just find yourself with extra snacks. Tip them afterwards too!
Why not just buy the snacks yourself instead of paying 10x more for them with practically the same result. Remember, the 10% service charge is your tip....and that 10% makes up a huge portion of their salary, usually more than 50%.

I get the feeling in this thread that people feel the more money they throw at butlers the more they are going to get. While that may be true, what they fail to realize is that they are getting 10c on the dollar. "Wow, I tipped the butler a hundred bucks and I got some fruit, chocolates and I got a couple of soft toys for my kids. All stuff that the next villa down the way didn't get! Awesome to be treated like a VIP!!"
Cost analysis:
2x toys made in China worth 50c each, cost to import $1 ea., value: $2
Chocolates made in the kitchen, value $3
Fruits grown on a nearby island, value: $5
Not smart in the least but, as the saying goes, different strokes for different people.....
ab_initio likes this.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Oct 5, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I was referring to the resort forcing you to upgrade all of your stay, not just part of your stay.

Perhaps in sub-par properties and in other parts of the world where service industry workers in direct contact with guests are unmotivated, untrained and lazy. At this property this needs to be re-phrased to: The butler is supposed to, and is responsible for, making your stay comfortable.

You got free breakfast because your status entitled you to it.

You were very lucky and there was a higher category room free for the duration of your stay or they overbooked your villa category and you got bumped. Don't fool yourself by thinking that a butler has the final say on whether a guest gets an upgrade or not. All he can do is recommend. And don't you think the reservations department know that a butler has been tipped big when he says "Upgrade Mr. & Mr.s X" without providing a reason such as for the purpose of service recovery?

As I have mentioned, this is the Maldives and if a butler at a property such as this is not performing to the brand standard, he or she will be reprimanded and given a warning.

Why not just buy the snacks yourself instead of paying 10x more for them with practically the same result. Remember, the 10% service charge is your tip....and that 10% makes up a huge portion of their salary, usually more than 50%.

I get the feeling in this thread that people feel the more money they throw at butlers the more they are going to get. While that may be true, what they fail to realize is that they are getting 10c on the dollar. "Wow, I tipped the butler a hundred bucks and I got some fruit, chocolates and I got a couple of soft toys for my kids. All stuff that the next villa down the way didn't get! Awesome to be treated like a VIP!!"
Cost analysis:
2x toys made in China worth 50c each, cost to import $1 ea., value: $2
Chocolates made in the kitchen, value $3
Fruits grown on a nearby island, value: $5
Not smart in the least but, as the saying goes, different strokes for different people.....
Maybe I am missing something but why so negative on this property? I have 10 nights booked on points and must say so far in advance f the stay the various people I have dealt with have been nothing but superb! Obviously could change once I arrive but its been a refreshing change dealing with such professional and on point service!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:24 pm

@MaldivesFreak , I do not understand your point re tipping butlers. The idea of a tip is to show appreciation for excellent service, and doing so usually results in even better service. Tipping is not intended to be a payment for the purpose of eliciting free stuff from the butler. That’s the wrong way to view it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.