Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by lifeisart
Full-heartedly agree they should honor the discount.

I think if you ask beforehand, they won't be too happy about it, but in person at check out, I think you have a good chance of getting your discount if you can show that it was online.

And, if not, contact Marriott customer service about this.

I forgot the platinum 10% off spa treatment discount ... and they did NOT proactively give me the discount. They also did NOT give me points for any dining or activities from my stay either. At this point, I won't argue with them about it but given the conversations I've had with the hotel, it would be like pulling teeth to get these things credited.

I really feel like the resort hates being part of a chain and hates point redemptions. It really LOVES the high net worth people who stay at the hotel paying full price though. But, again, on the property you have a butler there to take care of you, and that person can extend additional benefits while on property. Be sure to tip him/her well.
How much should the tip be to ensure good service?

is it cultural for people there to give bad service unless you tip very well?

i have read on multiple post here that service is bad until you show them your wallet?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:10 am

1. I don't know about the old Starwood but you shouldn't need to tip. It's the Maldives, not the USA.

2. The Maldivians are the type to give all and receive nothing. They put 100% effort in regardless and giving them money will not make them any nicer or their service any better. Remember, this is a 5-star lux property with a brand reputation to live up to and they have a standard to which they must work to.

3. That's just most likely new staff acting inappropriately or you reading into it too much. The resort is relatively new and there are plenty of staff there that aren't used to the protocols and standards. As a general rule, the only thing you will get if you tip more in the Maldives' top resorts is more freebies and many more thank yous.

You are already paying through the neck at this property so you shouldn't need to tip a cent. And finally, remember that the 10% service charge is already a tip and, at properties such as these, makes up more than 50% of their wages.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:48 am
kkl

Would be good to get some clarification from Starwood Lurker regarding the 20% discount
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So, if I'm reading the above correctly. St. Regis charges for breakfast & W doesn't. Asking so I can update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by lifeisart
I don't think this is true.

I didn't ask for an upgrade but the butler proactively asked if we wanted one (was actually going to decline because we didn't want the hassle of moving). So while it was halfway into the stay, we did get a complimentary upgrade.

I think the butlers have A LOT of power over extending perks so be on good terms with them and they might just comp some things (including meals, upgrades).
The OP I was quoting was referring to an upgrade from GV->OWV. Were you in a GV or OWV to start with when they offered an upgrade?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MP
Originally Posted by Anndr000
Hi! First post on here. Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the useful Information in booking this amazing resort! This is my first year learning and getting into hotels/flights points redemptions and this forum has help immensely!

About 2 hrs ago, I was able to book 5 nights in the garden villa mid March for 240k points. I had the dates saved by making a cash reservation 2 days ago since there was only 1 garden villa left. Today, all my points posted so I canceled the cash reservation hoping the room would show back up in the inventory and sure enough it did within seconds. I was also able to redeem 280k AA miles for 2 round trip business class tickets with Qatar airway for the corresponding date!

just a few questions.. does anyone know if I can apply suite nights award towards this property? I will be platinum elite by the end of this year and was wondering if I can use the 5 suite nights award for this.

secondly, I’ve read on numerous blogs and post that the seaplane transfer is 645 per person for roundtrip.. but on the Marriott/st Regis Maldives it’s showing 665 (one way)... anyone know if this is a typo or did they jack up the price due to the merger?
Has anyone had luck calling the property to pay to upgrade from a GV to an OWV? I also booked 4+1 nights for 240k but I'm not in love with the idea of going all the way to the Maldives and not having a view of the water.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:41 pm

Wait, so is it no longer possible to book Garden Villas with points? Any dates I look at, even out in July, do not show up as having Free Nights as a rate option once I click through to the SPG site...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: NH Platinum; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cycyc
Wait, so is it no longer possible to book Garden Villas with points? Any dates I look at, even out in July, do not show up as having Free Nights as a rate option once I click through to the SPG site...
You need to use the app, not the website.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jaycis
You need to use the app, not the website.
Got it. I am able to see award availability in July now on the app. Any idea why the Garden Villa shows up as being bookable with cash for some dates in December but it's not bookable with points? Do they have blackout dates or something?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: NH Platinum; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Got it. I am able to see award availability in July now on the app. Any idea why the Garden Villa shows up as being bookable with cash for some dates in December but it's not bookable with points? Do they have blackout dates or something?
I'd normally say that that's pretty strange, but that was also what happened (on all booking interfaces, including CSRs') between Aug 18 and Aug 20 so it's not really that strange anymore. But they (officially) don't have blackout dates.

If you can see the cash availability but can't book the points redemption via the app somehow, just try calling in to book it on points.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I think that this hotel oversells rooms with strong revenue management practices

So OWV available for the dates I want. But can't book using points. Calling in says no go. I think oversold!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:19 am

Something is definitely screwy with award availability around holidays. For instance, December 23-25 shows 3 Garden Villas as bookable with cash, but no award availability whatsoever. The last award availability in December seems to be the night of the 17th... what do you want to wager StR is blacking out dates?
shuuy and MaldivesFreak like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:03 am
kkl

Properties do not need to release all available inventory for awards. Im assuming for the GVs they probably allocated 1-2 during ultra peak periods rest for cash
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:00 am

remember, you have to have the necessary amount of points in your account already in order for the app to take you to the booking screen with points!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
11K for a 140km one way journey, eh. Must be on their gold plated yacht which runs on gold instead of 4-stroke, LOL. I swear they must have someone sitting in the office who throws a few semi-loaded dice and adds some zeros to the total whenever someone asks for a quote for something they don't have a price for.
Assuming that was for a plane?

For those complaining about the cost of the Seaplane you have a number of factors. Supply and demand obviously, but have you ever owned a plane? I've managed a few in my day and even flying a little Cessna 172 costs much more than you would think. When you factor in the scheduled maintenance, cost of fuel, etc. it is crazy. One of those seaplanes they use likely costs around $2,000-3,000 per hour just to operate once you factor in all of the scheduled maintenance. This does not factor in the cost of the pilots, and profit.

For example, the small jet we operated had a maintenance check due every five years that cost $200,000 regardless of whether we flew it or not. Landing gear was $150,000 every 10 years, again whether we flew it or not. Engine overhaul $200,000 each, etc. etc. These seaplanes wouldn't be quite as much but given the conditions they fly in you better believe they cost a fortune to operate. Fuel alone is likely $1,000 an hour.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.