Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:27 pm

Anyone know if breakfast is included in a redemption? Or how much they charge per person?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Breakfast is only included if you have it as part of your elite status, or a paid package rate.

If you are on an award and do not have breakfast as part of elite status, you will have to pay.

I'm not sure of the cost.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by some dude
Breakfast is only included if you have it as part of your elite status, or a paid package rate.

If you are on an award and do not have breakfast as part of elite status, you will have to pay.

I'm not sure of the cost.
I think TPG has said it's around $67 a day, per person (!)
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
I was given $369.60, tax inclusive for Garden Villa to Overwater Villa. I have a cash rate booked, so it may or may not be the same. On one of the nights I am staying, the OVW is not available online, but I am confirmed for all of the nights into room type. So not all availability may be displayed online.

Somewhere upthread, it was mentioned that St. Regis Maldives is listed on https://marriottmembersdinemore.com/ as participating in dining discounts for elite (20% platinum, 15% gold, 10% everyone else). Can confirm that they are NOT honoring this, and have stated they are in the process of getting their property removed from that website.

Arrival time for flights must before 3:30pm, a tad earlier than 4pm (from the wiki).

Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
Just booked 5 nights GV in August for 240k points and cancelled a similar reservation at the W. Hoping for good weather.

A few questions,

1. What are my upgrade chances from GV to ovw as a platinum assuming there are open rooms?
2. Has anyone been quoted a cash price to upgrade from GV to OVW after booking with points? Is this possible? I want more certainty in getting an overwater room.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by keggers1
Am I crazy for changing my St. Regis reservation (85k for over water) for the W fabulous overwater oasis?

Snorkeling is important to me, but also the W rooms seem more private compared to the St. Regis "sunrise" side rooms.

Would anyone else choose the W over the St. Regis for the same number of points??
I don’t think so. Was at St Regis in May, was at Conrad in ‘17. Stayed in a St Regis suite. Can’t say I understood the hype of any of it. Snorkeling was available outside my room at Conrad and at the House reef. At St Regis they dumped us out in open water, not that great of a reef, and was appalled that they never asked about experience level. The current is strong in and around the St Regis, and two snorkels were immediately overwhelmed by the 1+ swells.

I didn’t think the room was much better than an ow at Conrad, though it was larger. Food was good at both. Bar was much better at Conrad. I did find the service to be excellent at St Regis, initially, then fell off, till I found my wallet.

There’s another resort under construction about a kilometer away, with lights blazing 24/7.

If if you read the reviews by TPG, he initially didn’t like the St Regis, until they finally ‘realized’ (with much prodding) Who he was. Then, he loved it.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Snuggs

I don’t think so. Was at St Regis in May, was at Conrad in ‘17. Stayed in a St Regis suite. Can’t say I understood the hype of any of it. Snorkeling was available outside my room at Conrad and at the House reef. At St Regis they dumped us out in open water, not that great of a reef, and was appalled that they never asked about experience level. The current is strong in and around the St Regis, and two snorkels were immediately overwhelmed by the 1+ swells.

I didn’t think the room was much better than an ow at Conrad, though it was larger. Food was good at both. Bar was much better at Conrad. I did find the service to be excellent at St Regis, initially, then fell off, till I found my wallet.

There’s another resort under construction about a kilometer away, with lights blazing 24/7.

If if you read the reviews by TPG, he initially didn’t like the St Regis, until they finally ‘realized’ (with much prodding) Who he was. Then, he loved it.
The other resort under construction...is that the new JW Marriott Maldives?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
The other resort under construction...is that the new JW Marriott Maldives?
Can't be - JW is the old Viceroy Maldives
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:58 pm

That's a complete bunch of bull. TPG only complained about small service issues he attributed to the property only being open a few months. And I think the property already knew who he was considering he brought a camera crew with him.... If you like the Conrad, that's fine, but don't be biased and make S up.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
That's a complete bunch of bull. TPG only complained about small service issues he attributed to the property only being open a few months. And I think the property already knew who he was considering he brought a camera crew with him.... If you like the Conrad, that's fine, but don't be biased and make S up.
Sorry to displease you bucko, but that’s the way I read his reviews. After staying, I re-read and rewatched all of them, wondering what he was so taken by. As to what you “think” the resort did or didn’t know, I’m guessing that neither of us can speak authoritatively on the subject. I will say that “small service” items at a +$2k/night resort ARE big things. TPG must have felt so as he states that he sought out the GM for several days.

My comments aren’t intended to be an overwhelming endorsement of the Conrad, only that they were suggested by TPG, et al, to be a lesser property. The only bias I have is that his review of the St Regis is what I experienced... not quite five stars... except I never made the turn to “realize” how perfect it was. Probably because they knew I didn’t have a camera crew coming?

Any way, I expressed my opinions from what I experienced, and compared the results. I also simply related what TPG wrote. And, I was suggesting, that, in my opinion, the person who bailed and chose the W did the right thing. You, on the other hand, have a lot of nerve suggesting I made anything up. Quantity of posts neither equal quality nor confer expertise.. Just my opinion to you and all the other flamers who get racked off when someone else has differing experiences, views and opinions.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:14 pm

Sorry to displease you bucko, but that’s the way I read his reviews. After staying, I re-read and rewatched all of them, wondering what he was so taken by. As to what you “think” the resort did or didn’t know, I’m guessing that neither of us can speak authoritatively on the subject. I will say that “small service” items at a +$2k/night resort ARE big things. TPG must have felt so as he states that he sought out the GM for several days.

My comments aren’t intended to be an overwhelming endorsement of the Conrad, only that they were suggested by TPG, et al, to be a lesser property. The only bias I have is that his review of the St Regis is what I experienced... not quite five stars... except I never made the turn to “realize” how perfect it was. Probably because they knew I didn’t have a camera crew coming?

Any way, I expressed my opinions from what I experienced, and compared the results. I also simply related what TPG wrote. And, I was suggesting, that, in my opinion, the person who bailed and chose the W did the right thing. You, on the other hand, have a lot of nerve suggesting I made anything up. Quantity of posts neither equal quality nor confer expertise.. Just my opinion to you and all the other flamers who get racked off when someone else has differing experiences, views and opinions.
Thanks for your insight.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:26 pm

Are you referring to this article? https://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/hot...egis-maldives/

The only complaints I can see on the review was butler-house cleaning miscommunication, dive center not playing ball, and the typical restaurant is "full" BS; which I agree, at a $2500/night resort it should not be happening?

However, I do not see him preferring Conrad over STR? On the contrary, only time he mentions Conrad in his article was :"way nicer than both Park Hyatt and the Conrad. But, that wasn’t so surprising, given that the resort is brand new."

Now this was TPG's final verdict, no where do i see him seeking out a GM for "several days":

"Although there were some flaws in the service, they were probably kinks that still need to be worked out because the property is so new. Everything that came up was quickly resolved, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying my stay at the property." -TPG.

In your personal experience, is the STR still as bad, or has it worsen since TPG's visit?

Also interested to know which direction is the construction in relation to the resort? Any idea what resort it might be?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
2. Has anyone been quoted a cash price to upgrade from GV to OVW after booking with points? Is this possible? I want more certainty in getting an overwater room.
Originally Posted by kristyw0606
I'm interested in #2 as well. I'll gladly pay for upgrade to guarantee OWV for part of my trip, if the price isn't outrageous,
All you have to do is just email the resort and ask.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by wonghenhen
anyone know how bad is the weather late July and early August ?
The wiki has information on this and there was discussion about this just a few pages ago.

Originally Posted by tylerc
Wow. Seaplane fee is up to $695 (!!!)
Originally Posted by porkie
It was $595 initially, looks like they hiked it again. Seems like they will want to compensate all those points booking through increasing prices of incidentals, too bad.
The seaplane operator - TMA, is in full control of transportation and its prices. Correct me if I'm wrong but hiking the price of the transfer by $50 or $100, (imp)lying to guests by saying that's what TMA charges, and then taking that money back from TMA or skimming it off the top before it's given to TMA would be considered fraud.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The seaplane operator - TMA, is in full control of transportation and its prices. Correct me if I'm wrong but hiking the price of the transfer by $50 or $100, (imp)lying to guests by saying that's what TMA charges, and then taking that money back from TMA or skimming it off the top before it's given to TMA would be considered fraud.
Youy are correct it is TMA who set the prices and they very much are the bain of the lives of Maldives resorts as they have no control over the charges or the timings! That said however I doubt charging more than TMA charges would be considered fraud in the Maldives, in fact they would probably argue that they just charge an admin fee to cover their costs in organising etc, but its far easier to just say they are passing on the costs of the seaplane, only people on the inside would know if the charge is what the St. Regos (or any oither resort) for that matter charges! I do knwo that generally the people at resorts that have to deal with TMA really do not enjoy the task!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I'm sure that TMA sets the price in agreement with the resort, it wouldn't suprise me at all if some part of that price was paid directly to the resort under stuff like admin fees or maintainance of the jetty or some other bs charges they came up with to justify it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.