Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by shingu79
Tip what you you feel comfortable ....
i tipped my butler $20 every other day....compared to some other butlers I heard, mine wasn’t as great or proactive.
I did not tip for my meals as there was a prolonged discussion earlier regarding the service charge that is added as being tip, so essentially would be double tipping.

As for the comment on life being being too short for substandard travel...life is really too short for anything, if you take that route

Couple of things to mention, this hotel does participate in Kids Pass. For $30 a day children under 12 are fully covered for morning buffet and all day kids menu purchase at any of the restaurants. This is a bargain since kids buffet alone cost me $45 after tax and other charges. My second child, who is 3 was not charged for morning breakfast buffet at all.

Second, hotel offers complimentary snorkel gear rental during your stay.

Third, a jump into the “blue hole” at the iridium spa usually costs $85 a person, which to me is totally
not worth it, however, if you talk to your butler, he or she may arrange a complimentary session. It’s basically a jetted swimming pool with sea water.
1) For tipping, I completely concur. I never tipped for restaurants as the service charge seemed sufficient - if it were amazing enough to warrant an over-the-normal tip I'd have done it, but it never was, as has been discussed to death here. I also tipped my butler nothing through the stay (I wanted to avoid an awkward "I'm paying you for service" vibe), but at the end, I gave him $50. I had no idea whether it was too little or too much, but that worked out to $10 per day which seemed fair, all things considered. Then he let my son keep the plushy turtle they "lent" him as a "friend" for his stay, so then I actually felt super-guilty because the damn thing was $65 at the airport duty free. Oh well.
2) As a Platinum, they comped everything for my kid (6yo). Which was really amazing, considering, as you say, breakfast buffet alone costs a fortune. This was really appreciated - and as far as earlier nickel-and-diming discussion goes, this was entirely not the case for me.
3) The Blue Hole was a transformative experience. We had a private session, which was completely and totally amazing. I would absolutely not pay the $400 or whatever it is for a normal private session - maybe they did this for me as a Platinum, or maybe because of all the moaning and complaining I did, or maybe because my butler was awesome, but for "free", it was literally one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. Damn, those jets are powerful. And the whole thing is very chill, staring out onto the ocean, see incoming planes sometimes, etc. But once again, actually paying for it would be a bit ... meh.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
2) As a Platinum, they comped everything for my kid (6yo). Which was really amazing, considering, as you say, breakfast buffet alone costs a fortune. This was really appreciated - and as far as earlier nickel-and-diming discussion goes, this was entirely not the case for me.
Thanks, glad to hear about the kids pass - they didn't mention that when I asked about breakfast. Ours is 4, and as plat it would be awesome if they comped the kids pass (did they tell you up front?), but if not, even $30/day isn't too bad.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by nohbdy
Thanks, glad to hear about the kids pass - they didn't mention that when I asked about breakfast. Ours is 4, and as plat it would be awesome if they comped the kids pass (did they tell you up front?), but if not, even $30/day isn't too bad.
Mine wasn't the kids pass - just the breakfast. They didn't really tell me up front but I was prepared for a fight because I dunno, he eats like a bird - were he 10 I'd maybe consider it a huge favour, but I somewhat expected to have him comped - but when he actually _was_ without any discussion, I was rather grateful.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by shingu79
Third, a jump into the “blue hole” at the iridium spa usually costs $85 a person, which to me is totally not worth it
A bit like cocktails at Ithaa. Total waste of money IMO.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Mine wasn't the kids pass - just the breakfast. They didn't really tell me up front but I was prepared for a fight because I dunno, he eats like a bird - were he 10 I'd maybe consider it a huge favour, but I somewhat expected to have him comped - but when he actually _was_ without any discussion, I was rather grateful.
I’m here now. All food/drink for kids under 5 is free. Including room service, provided you order from the kids menus (which are actually pretty good.)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by nohbdy

im 100 plat and they specifically told me play breakfast was for 2. I kept paying $45 a day for my older kid and younger 3yo was waived. So i picked up the kidpass half way into my stay and it ended up being a pretty good deal.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
I’m here now. All food/drink for kids under 5 is free. Including room service, provided you order from the kids menus (which are actually pretty good.)
See, some of these info could’ve been useful that are not advertised up front. We did order a lot of room service off the kiddie menu but none was comped even with our 3 yo in tow.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
What's the weather like right now? The http://www.stregismaldives.com site say it's thunder showers Thurs/Fri/Saturday this week ... that's when I'll be there.

How accurate is the forecast on the hotel website?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:45 am

For the weather in the Maldives related to the issue of 'Thunderstorms' / 'Scattered Thunderstorms' and long range forecasts, see this post.
Psychiatrist likes this.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Nov 28, 2017 at 12:11 pm Reason: Updated linked post to include a tip on long range forecasts
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
At the lounge now (1pm local time) - been here for 4 hours. Some people have been here for 5 hours. Lounge is over capacity. Staff are wonderful with drinks and food.

Torrential rains and strong winds means very few sea planes are flying. There’s a storm nearby and staff say it’s been like this for the past few days.

Not sure how things will be ... I’m only here for 2 nights. Not much hope for pics worthy of envy on Facebook/Instagram. Boo.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:05 am

Update: 2 sea planes left with most of the passengers. No more sea planes (now 4pm here).

7 of us are now stranded in Male for the night. We’ve been sitting in the lounge for over 7 hours already.

Hope we get to the St R tomorrow!

Lounge staff told me they will refund the prepaid night, but I’ll have to pay for the hotel stay in Male. I guess this is where I can claim travel insurance?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:43 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Update: 2 sea planes left with most of the passengers. No more sea planes (now 4pm here).

7 of us are now stranded in Male for the night. We’ve been sitting in the lounge for over 7 hours already.

Hope we get to the St R tomorrow!

Lounge staff told me they will refund the prepaid night, but I’ll have to pay for the hotel stay in Male. I guess this is where I can claim travel insurance?
Wow, that sucks that you have to miss the night at the StR due to the storms. I so hope the weather improves tomorrow and that you can make it to the hotel. And that you can make it back to Male the next day! Definitely a travel insurance claim.

But I’m impressed that the lounge staff have handled things so well and taken such good care of everyone in such trying circumstances. And impressed that the hotel will refund a non-refundable night under those circumstances—something that’s only happened to me once, when our Air Tahiti Nui flight was canceled and the StR Bora Bora issued us a credit for our missed night’s stay. (We had another 6 nights.)

Best of luck to you and everyone else to reach the StR tomorrow.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:54 am

Thanks!

Nearly 9pm here and I’ve been informed that there are as yet no confirmed sea planes seats for me - they can’t confirm if I’ll be able to get there tomorrow.

If I can’t get there tomorrow I might as well fly home tomorrow evening (flying QR) ... I don’t want to stay in Male with absolutely nothing to do for another 24 hours.

Never thought my St Regis trip would end up being a HKG DOH MLE mileage run *sob sob*
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Wow, that sucks that you have to miss the night at the StR due to the storms. I so hope the weather improves tomorrow and that you can make it to the hotel. And that you can make it back to Male the next day! Definitely a travel insurance claim.

But I’m impressed that the lounge staff have handled things so well and taken such good care of everyone in such trying circumstances. And impressed that the hotel will refund a non-refundable night under those circumstances—something that’s only happened to me once, when our Air Tahiti Nui flight was canceled and the StR Bora Bora issued us a credit for our missed night’s stay. (We had another 6 nights.)

Best of luck to you and everyone else to reach the StR tomorrow.
I know we usually agree, but are you really impressed that the StR refunded a prepaid night when they weren't able to get the guest to the property (and yes, I know they do not operate the planes nor control the weather)? That doesn't really seem worthy of impressiveness, TBH, but rather table stakes for any truly luxury property.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I know we usually agree, but are you really impressed that the StR refunded a prepaid night when they weren't able to get the guest to the property (and yes, I know they do not operate the planes nor control the weather)? That doesn't really seem worthy of impressiveness, TBH, but rather table stakes for any truly luxury property.
No, you’re right. Perhaps impressed isn’t the best word. I’m still pleased to see the StR handle that so well. Just because a luxury hotel is supposed to handle such unforeseen circumstances with grace doesn’t always mean they do. One need only remember recent reviews here on the FT Luxury Forum of Ani Villas Anguilla, Cheval Blanc Randheli, FS London Trinity Square, etc to know it doesn’t always go well, even at some of the most lauded hotels. Seeing the StR Maldives handle this as as well as it has is still reassuring and a wonderful data point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.