Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by godbreath
I emailed the hotel yesterday and this was the response I got:
I received the exact same response via email.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:05 pm

Will be interested to see what responses come back this week from the hotel about the renovations. The overall communication and timing seems strange so hopefully there's more clarity.
esc2476 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, HH LTD, Bonvoy Tit (LTG)
Originally Posted by Jesset8
No one asked me for PCR tests yesterday. EK check in, Maldives immigration, and hotel staff all never asked for it.
So just finished checking on QR at IAH. We were asked for our test results, which we had.The couple at the next counter over (coincidentally also traveling to the Maldives) didn’t and had apparently been pleading with QR staff for a while before we got there. Fortunately I had a print out of the notice from the Maldivian govt showing tests were no longer required if vaccinated and I gave it to them. The supervisor took it somewhere in the back, came back 10 mins later and allowed them to continue checking in gave them their boarding passes.
senyah likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
This might be an odd question to ask. But has anyone been to STR Maldives alone? My gf just broke up with me a couple days ago 1 month before we were set to go so I'm in a bit of a rut and wondering if it's still worth heading all the way down there alone. I'm leaning towards yes but its such a romantic destination that I'd rather go with a special someone.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Derman0524
This might be an odd question to ask. But has anyone been to STR Maldives alone? My gf just broke up with me a couple days ago 1 month before we were set to go so I'm in a bit of a rut and wondering if it's still worth heading all the way down there alone. I'm leaning towards yes but its such a romantic destination that I'd rather go with a special someone.

Sorry to hear that. You make your trip however you want to IMO. Yes it's type casted as a 'romantic getaway', but a good property will cater to a wide array of guests including couples, families, and hell even single people. I think staff are pretty engaging enough to not make you feel alone.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT

Here's an idea for you...
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-30530070

Man finds travel companion with same name as ex-girlfriend

Jordan Axani, 28, broke up with Elizabeth Gallagher in May but couldn't get a refund for the trip.

After putting out a request on Reddit for a travelling companion with the same name and a Canadian passport, he received thousands of responses.

One was from student Elizabeth Quinn Gallagher from Nova Scotia.

Jordan picked the 23-year-old, a homeless shelter volunteer who has a boyfriend, after talking with her on the phone.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
Here's an idea for you...
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-30530070

Man finds travel companion with same name as ex-girlfriend

Jordan Axani, 28, broke up with Elizabeth Gallagher in May but couldn't get a refund for the trip.

After putting out a request on Reddit for a travelling companion with the same name and a Canadian passport, he received thousands of responses.

One was from student Elizabeth Quinn Gallagher from Nova Scotia.

Jordan picked the 23-year-old, a homeless shelter volunteer who has a boyfriend, after talking with her on the phone.
bahahaha, that's quite the idea. I mean, my ex bought her own flights and stuff and I can just change the reservation to 1 person but just wondering how bored I'd be alone on the island for 5 nights. I guess we'll see
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
bahahaha, that's quite the idea. I mean, my ex bought her own flights and stuff and I can just change the reservation to 1 person but just wondering how bored I'd be alone on the island for 5 nights. I guess we'll see
It depends on how much you enjoy things like snorkeling, diving, etc. That can make you spend quite a bit of time. There are plenty of activities, but a lot of them will come with a price tag.

The one thing I know from countless business trips, I find dining for one a bit dull. Not that I don't enjoy the food, but sitting in a restaurant alone is just a bit strange/tiresome. Go for the Whale Bar for food, as there might be a bit more life. Keep an eye out for anyone else travelling alone, and ask if they'd like to share a table for dinner, as it is more interesting to be able to strike up a conversation.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It depends on how much you enjoy things like snorkeling, diving, etc. That can make you spend quite a bit of time. There are plenty of activities, but a lot of them will come with a price tag.

The one thing I know from countless business trips, I find dining for one a bit dull. Not that I don't enjoy the food, but sitting in a restaurant alone is just a bit strange/tiresome. Go for the Whale Bar for food, as there might be a bit more life. Keep an eye out for anyone else travelling alone, and ask if they'd like to share a table for dinner, as it is more interesting to be able to strike up a conversation.
I travel alone frequently tbh and I'm definitely an independent person but that's the strategy I was thinking tbh but I doubt many solo travelers frequent the hotel! My only thing I'm worrying about is how strict they'll be on the beach dinners. They said it has to be 2 people minimum so the reservation has been booked but I wonder if they'll not allow me to do it if it's only me, we'll see I guess.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: Free agent
Does anyone know about the use of the St. Regis lounge on departure? We have a 4:00pm Emirates flight and need to arrive early enough to do an antigen test but it doesn’t look like MLE has any appealing airport lounges.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by justlaz
Sorry to hear that. You make your trip however you want to IMO. Yes it's type casted as a 'romantic getaway', but a good property will cater to a wide array of guests including couples, families, and hell even single people. I think staff are pretty engaging enough to not make you feel alone.
I appreciate the message. I'll engage myself and make it the best for what it is. Thanks!
Werty7777 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Almost all of my travel is alone, heading to Waldorf Astoria Maldives alone in a couple days. You will be able to make a great time of it if that's what you want to do. Of course, that can be easier said than done when life isn't going well.

The first time I went to Maldives was actually around this same time a year ago, also to the Waldorf Astoria. My best friend had passed away just a couple months prior, we were supposed to go to Japan together but obviously with COVID that didn't happen and now will never happen. I ended up booking the trip very last minute through some "luck" on my part that many folks in India were having to cancel trips to Maldives which opened hotel award space and lightened flight loads, because I just needed to get far away from everything.

I am not normally one for resorts, but I decided to really make the most of the trip by learning how to dive, biking all over the island to snorkel, etc. And at other times there was something about the place, seeing endless ocean for miles or laying there looking up at the sky and listening to the waves, that really allowed me reflect on my life and what had happened in a way I could not have at home.

I hope you can have a great trip.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Almost all of my travel is alone, heading to Waldorf Astoria Maldives alone in a couple days. You will be able to make a great time of it if that's what you want to do. Of course, that can be easier said than done when life isn't going well.

The first time I went to Maldives was actually around this same time a year ago, also to the Waldorf Astoria. My best friend had passed away just a couple months prior, we were supposed to go to Japan together but obviously with COVID that didn't happen and now will never happen. I ended up booking the trip very last minute through some "luck" on my part that many folks in India were having to cancel trips to Maldives which opened hotel award space and lightened flight loads, because I just needed to get far away from everything.

I am not normally one for resorts, but I decided to really make the most of the trip by learning how to dive, biking all over the island to snorkel, etc. And at other times there was something about the place, seeing endless ocean for miles or laying there looking up at the sky and listening to the waves, that really allowed me reflect on my life and what had happened in a way I could not have at home.

I hope you can have a great trip.
Damn dude, that was beautifully written and really helped navigate my emotions just now. I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm happy to hear that you were able find some inner peace on the trip. You just convinced me to stick with my plan
jmail1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sfflyer415
I'm not sure what's the points earning rate for using my Marriott Boundless card on other purchases at this property such as dining and experiences. I called Marriott and they gave me a bit of a confusing answer. I thought if I used my card at a Marriott restaurant for example, I'd get 6x the points on the purchase. The Agent on the phone said I'd get 10x the points on the base at the St Regis Maldives. It didn't make much sense, unless it's true.

Can anyone confirm how many extra points you earn using on your Marriott CC? Thanks.
put it on the room bill. You'll earn 10 points + Elite bonus + 6 from the CC
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by sfflyer415
Sorry, I didn't mean to question the Equipment rental cost, I'm actually asking about the guided snorkel tours. I'd prefer not to pay for guided snorkel tours if we can just snorkel ourselves with our own gear.

I guess I'm asking if we can just snorkel by ourselves anywhere on the property? Does anyone know how far the local Reef is?
i would recommend bringing it for comfort alone, we’re renting the sets they use for diving and there is a world of difference in quality from the free set. I wish we’d brought ours. As others have said there is a straight wall in front of the sunset villas and the reef in front of the JJA suite. There is almost nothing to see in front of the standard OWV, don’t waste your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.