Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dabrain230
Hi fellow travelers. Just made it to the resort yesterday. In contrast to many travelers in this thread I haven't been to that many higher end properties around the world so I guess my expectations are probably not as high. But so far, almost everything has been great. The staff at the airport lounge as well as the wait staff at the resort and our butler. All of them knew our names and the purpose of our visit and were very attentive. One minor thing was that our butler erroneously thought we had booked a dinner at Decanter.

We booked a regular OWV and were put into a panoramic OWV (524). I like the privacy but the pool does stay rather cold. I asked if we could either try a SOWV or the regular OWV if one becomes available. But according to our butler the property is currently running at 90% capacity so it's rather unlikely that we will be able to switch.

If there is any other people here interested in a whale shark tour this week, let me know!

Edit:
How do you tip wait staff at the restaurants? Via the bill or leave some cash on the table?
There is already a 10% service charge added your restaurant bills, which is basically your tip. Of course you can add more if you feel like it, but there is not expectation or requirement to tip additionally.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Hi fellow travelers. Just made it to the resort yesterday. In contrast to many travelers in this thread I haven't been to that many higher end properties around the world so I guess my expectations are probably not as high. But so far, almost everything has been great. The staff at the airport lounge as well as the wait staff at the resort and our butler. All of them knew our names and the purpose of our visit and were very attentive. One minor thing was that our butler erroneously thought we had booked a dinner at Decanter.

We booked a regular OWV and were put into a panoramic OWV (524). I like the privacy but the pool does stay rather cold. I asked if we could either try a SOWV or the regular OWV if one becomes available. But according to our butler the property is currently running at 90% capacity so it's rather unlikely that we will be able to switch.

If there is any other people here interested in a whale shark tour this week, let me know!

Edit:
How do you tip wait staff at the restaurants? Via the bill or leave some cash on the table?
Indeed the resort is fully occupied these days but if you can SOWVs would be much better. Re tipping, you can offer it via bill for sure.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:18 pm

Re Tipping

Thanks for the suggestions. I asked one of the staff as well and they said that any tip on the bill or charged during checkout will be evenly distributed. If I want to show my appreciation to a specific staff I can mention their name on the bill or during checkout. Good to know
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I asked one of the staff as well and they said that any tip on the bill or charged during checkout will be evenly distributed. If I want to show my appreciation to a specific staff I can mention their name on the bill or during checkout. Good to know
Precisely. I also did the same thing- I payed some with my credit card when I checked out and handed a paper of some staffs' name and their tip.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT

I’m here now too and could be interested.

——-

I just arrived today to the resort and got assigned OVW 517.

The villa is very nice, however looking at some details it does show it’s age.

The pool has been quite warm all day, which was unexpected after reading the thread.

The villa has a lagoon view, which I think is very undesirable from a privacy prospective. With the naked eye it’s going to be difficult to see anyone, but a cheap pair of binoculars will eliminate any privacy I have.

I’m pretty confused about why the resorts OVWs were laid out on this circular shape rather than in a straight line going into the ocean like at other resorts.

The other thing I’m still getting used to is the sticker shock on the costs of everything here.

Some random prices encountered:
Glass of juice $15
burger and fries $61
chicken breast $59

I guess I’ll get acclimated to these prices in the next day or so.

As far as service quality goes, I’ve found it to be attentive. The butler provided me with a WhatsApp, and everything is done through the butler there.

I just arrived from Amangalla in Sri Lanka, and found the service there to be much better so far. The butler there was very good at anticipating what I might want and offering it to me before I even asked.

—-
I chatted with one of the management and they said it was normal for resorts here to close every 6 and 11 years for repairs.

Last edited by Jesset8; Mar 7, 2022 at 4:33 am
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by kaptain72
I'm assuming I should confirm with Qatar Airways that they are following those rules prior to our flight on Wednesday.
I was chatting with the QR station manager at MIA, and they had a sheet that is updated everyday with every passengers destination requirements. She showed it to me and it appeared fully up to date. I was flying to CMB who had just changed the rules on testing that day, and the sheet had the correct requirements.

EK at CMB was also following the new vaccination rules the day after it took effect for me.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by MrM2016
Noeatbutgo's review is spot on, we even had the same butler. Similarly my wife also had a medical issue developing a full body allergic reaction to something in the sea, he was excellent as a go between the resort doctor and ourselves.
If you don’t mind me asking what type of reaction? On my first day I developed what looks like ant bites on a 4” area on my arm and on parts of my chest. It’s not painful but they have swollen, also believe I got it when I went snorkeling. Thought it might just be sea lice.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Jay66
They actually sent me a payment link, did anyone else experience this and know how the transaction codes?
Just did this myself and put on my Bonvoy card, attached is a screenshot of the charge, it codes as St. Regis and gets full bonus.

noeatbutgo likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dn10
Really surprised they're closing for 2 months in a couple of months and there hasn't been official communication. The fact that it was pretty sudden and also no communication is making me wonder what's up.
I spoke to their reservations department today and they claim nothing is set in stone yet. They expect to have clarity / final decision by March 11th.

As it's only 4 more days of waiting, I plan to at least wait that long before changing our reservations to the RC or WA.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: UA MM, HH LTD, Bonvoy Tit (LTG)
Originally Posted by Jesset8
I was chatting with the QR station manager at MIA, and they had a sheet that is updated everyday with every passengers destination requirements. She showed it to me and it appeared fully up to date. I was flying to CMB who had just changed the rules on testing that day, and the sheet had the correct requirements.

EK at CMB was also following the new vaccination rules the day after it took effect for me.
Thanks. IATA is now up to date, too. I’m torn on what to do as I don’t want to throw away $500 on unneeded tests.
noeatbutgo likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Jesset8
I’m here now too and could be interested.

——-
The villa has a lagoon view, which I think is very undesirable from a privacy prospective. With the naked eye it’s going to be difficult to see anyone, but a cheap pair of binoculars will eliminate any privacy I have.

I’m pretty confused about why the resorts OVWs were laid out on this circular shape rather than in a straight line going into the ocean like at other resorts.

The other thing I’m still getting used to is the sticker shock on the costs of everything here.

Some random prices encountered:
Glass of juice $15
burger and fries $61
chicken breast $59

No one would use a binocular so do not be too much stressed. I just forgot my privacy during my stay when I was on the deck of the villa but some guests might have felt serious pain in their eyes... just a joke.

Yes I also don't like the layout of their OWVs in a triangular shape which causes unfavourable view and privacy issues in the lagoon side. But they clearly wanted to build more villas.

And another yes- every food items are quite pricey even for pizzas and burgers. Instead I brought a lot of food to save my budget- better to pay charge for extra kgs on a seaplane.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jmail1
If you don’t mind me asking what type of reaction? On my first day I developed what looks like ant bites on a 4” area on my arm and on parts of my chest. It’s not painful but they have swollen, also believe I got it when I went snorkeling. Thought it might just be sea lice.
Not the same, I'm afraid. I certainly got bitten while snorkelling though, but nothing to the degree you were.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Effective today, vaccinated travelers are no longer required to present a PCR test on arrival to the Maldives. I'm assuming I should confirm with Qatar Airways that they are following those rules prior to our flight on Wednesday.
DO NOT CANCEL your test appt. St Regis is still asking for negative PCR results vaccinated or not.

It's possible that the butler that responded to my inquiry was wrong but said despite not requiring a negative test result to enter Maldives, we still require it to enter the resort.

I'm leaving this Friday and was about to cancel my test but I'll be getting it done regardless to avoid any issues. Better safe than sorry!
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: UA MM, HH LTD, Bonvoy Tit (LTG)
Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
DO NOT CANCEL your test appt. St Regis is still asking for negative PCR results vaccinated or not.

It's possible that the butler that responded to my inquiry was wrong but said despite not requiring a negative test result to enter Maldives, we still require it to enter the resort.

I'm leaving this Friday and was about to cancel my test but I'll be getting it done regardless to avoid any issues. Better safe than sorry!
Wow, thank you. We found a way to get PCR tests covered by insurance so we got tested this morning. Should have results before we leave. I’ll update here what the QR staff says on Wed and hotel says on Fri morning.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon

Wow, thank you. We found a way to get PCR tests covered by insurance so we got tested this morning. Should have results before we leave. I’ll update here what the QR staff says on Wed and hotel says on Fri morning.
I've personally never heard of resorts requesting to see your test results on arrival. Your tests are checked by the departure airline's airport staff and maybe by the passport control at arrival in MLE. But that's it.

Don't the resorts want to be as easily accessible ad possible like they were pre-Covid? Why would they want to be more restrictive than their country is being by requiring a PCR that their host country is no longer asking for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.