Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Bolding mine as we are advanced and wreck certified divers.

I am most curious to hear about the quality of your 4 dives and what you saw. I’m also curious about your relative experience if you don’t mind. Any details you can share will be most helpful. Thanks!
My wife and I and both PADI divemasters with hundreds of dives - red sea, komodo, sipadan, malapascua, surin/similan islands, koh tao, fiji, bora bora, zanzibar, mozambique, cape town etc..

We enjoyed the dives - we saw white tips / black tips, rays, turtles, lobsters, eels, crabs.. some really nice big school of fish and some cool coral.

We could have dove, lived and ate for an entire month in Koh Tao for the price of those 4 dives .
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree re single use plastics. And it really is a shame in the Maldives especially, where there is actually a very critical waste management situation, even if it is hidden from resort guests.

Resorts here usually incinerate much of their garbage on property. So, it seems very wasteful and foolish to have unnecessary plastic items in use, only to be incinerated after a guest has used these items. Some resorts, on the other hand, have in house drinking water purification and circulate reusable glass bottles for this purpose. Equally, some resorts are very careful to avoid single use plastics. There are many ways to provide comfort and luxury to guests without so much waste.

By the way, how does Baglioni compare to StR? It looks quite good.
We told Dominic our #1 disappointment was the amount of plastic, especially water bottles, in use.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The end of single use plastic containers is coming to all Marriott properties by 2020:

https://skift.com/2019/08/28/marriot...tries-by-2020/

These sort of transitions don’t happen on a dime. But it’s coming.
MikeFromTokyo and VCURamFan like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by porkie
Congrats on the upgrade, did you book the base garden villa?
I have the same question. Were you upgraded from a GV or another level room?
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by friedablass
I have the same question. Were you upgraded from a GV or another level room?
We booked GV on points last year. However, we are Virtuoso/Stars travel agents so may be more likely to greet an upgrade because of that.

Had IVD last night - great quality and large portions so a good way to manage budget (we ordered way too much for $140). Breakfast offered fantastic choice, quality good but not superb. Service is very good throughout.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
By the way, how does Baglioni compare to StR? It looks quite good.
In my view, the StR is a high end luxury resort that happens to be in the Maldives. The amenities and services are great but you could almost be anywhere - less of the barefoot escape. That is a positive for some people - the room is very spacious, great quality amenities, good F&B etc. However, all extras are very pricey so massage, food etc will add a lot to the bill.

The Baglioni is nice but very different. For my taste, the villa density is too high so it doesn’t feel as private as I like. Everything is new of course and we didn’t have any snag items in the room, which is impressive. The F&B was excellent at the 2 restaurants currently open. Activities and spa are very reasonably priced. However, I feel the prices are too high for the rooms based on their size, and many villas do not have a pool. At present, they have a half-board opening offer, which is good value. Also, many people may be less bothered by villa proximity (I hate beaches with rows of beach-chairs; others love them).

The Shangri-La is similar to the StR in many ways but of course, not as high end. Main benefit is the proximity to Gan (direct flights from Colombo and then just 5 min boat so very quick transfer) and range of activities including golf.

Kanuhura is quite similar to the Baglioni in style (with almost identical outdoor bathrooms). They have a great beach and made us smile a lot (e.g., breakfast in the sea, best dolphin cruise with music, dancing etc).

Park Hyatt I’m not a fan of but it has been years since I last visited.

Milaidhoo is at a similar level to the StR and has great villas too. F&B choice less extensive but still very good. It’s a very small resort with more of a Maldivian vibe. This tends to be the property i lean towards when considering all factors, based on those I’ve visited but there is huge choice in Maldives and everyone has different priorities.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by porkie
Was anyone successful in getting a confirmed comp upgrade more sooner than a day or two before checkin?
On my first visit in 2017, we were upgraded far in advance, can't recall how long before but it was a weeks or months to a Beach Villa. However, on my second visit this year, I was upgraded to a SOWV 2 days in advance.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Anyone there right now can you check if the kids eat free promotion is still going on? Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by price123
In my view, the StR is a high end luxury resort that happens to be in the Maldives. The amenities and services are great but you could almost be anywhere - less of the barefoot escape. That is a positive for some people - the room is very spacious, great quality amenities, good F&B etc. However, all extras are very pricey so massage, food etc will add a lot to the bill.

The Baglioni is nice but very different. For my taste, the villa density is too high so it doesn’t feel as private as I like. Everything is new of course and we didn’t have any snag items in the room, which is impressive. The F&B was excellent at the 2 restaurants currently open. Activities and spa are very reasonably priced. However, I feel the prices are too high for the rooms based on their size, and many villas do not have a pool. At present, they have a half-board opening offer, which is good value. Also, many people may be less bothered by villa proximity (I hate beaches with rows of beach-chairs; others love them).

The Shangri-La is similar to the StR in many ways but of course, not as high end. Main benefit is the proximity to Gan (direct flights from Colombo and then just 5 min boat so very quick transfer) and range of activities including golf.

Kanuhura is quite similar to the Baglioni in style (with almost identical outdoor bathrooms). They have a great beach and made us smile a lot (e.g., breakfast in the sea, best dolphin cruise with music, dancing etc).

Milaidhoo is at a similar level to the StR and has great villas too. F&B choice less extensive but still very good. It’s a very small resort with more of a Maldivian vibe. This tends to be the property i lean towards when considering all factors, based on those I’ve visited but there is huge choice in Maldives and everyone has different priorities.
Wow, sounds like you've been to the Maldives quite a number of times .

Thanks for the comparisons on all these properties, very informative.
bhrubin and escape4 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by price123

Very informative comparison and contrast, indeed. Thanks!

Any chance you’ll be trying out the new WA or any of the other new Maldives properties soon? Any chance you can compare the StR with the two FS properties?
friedablass likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:52 pm

When we leave we are taking the late Etihad flight that arrives in AUH at 2345. Then our connection is next day 1025. I booked premium cabin on miles so we would have lounge access. Thoughts on just staying in the airport until our flight vs getting a hotel just to sleep in for a few hours? Since I'm flying Etihad F out of AUH I would want to get there early to enjoy the lounge which further shortens my hotel stay if I were to get one. Anyone just stayed in the lounge overnight from a Maldives connection?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:30 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Any chance you’ll be trying out the new WA
Comparison WA vs StR coming up next month, 6 nights at each!
friedablass, kkl and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by LonghornFlyer
When we leave we are taking the late Etihad flight that arrives in AUH at 2345. Then our connection is next day 1025. I booked premium cabin on miles so we would have lounge access. Thoughts on just staying in the airport until our flight vs getting a hotel just to sleep in for a few hours? Since I'm flying Etihad F out of AUH I would want to get there early to enjoy the lounge which further shortens my hotel stay if I were to get one. Anyone just stayed in the lounge overnight from a Maldives connection?
My wife and I went to the StR Vommuli for our honeymoon a couple of years ago, so I thought I'd share our experience as a reverse data point, if you will, so please take with a grain of salt. Maybe it'll help your decision-making process...

Our inbound flight on AC (like I said, "reverse") gave us an overnight connection at DXB of about ~13hrs. We landed around 8pm and were outbound to MLE at ~9am the next morning. After 12+hr flight to DXB, even in AC J, a real bed was a welcome thing and worth burning some SPG points, even if it was just 5-6 hours of sleep (as we wanted to hit the EK lounge/etc and be recharged the next day).

Given that you have the short flight first and then F for the longer flight (and of course not knowing you and your companion's full preferences), I would probably also lean towards your plan of staying at the airport.

Anyway, a bit long-winded, but I hope it's useful.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Comparison WA vs StR coming up next month, 6 nights at each!
Can't wait! If you post it to the WA thread instead of here please be so kind and drop a note here that you did so. Thanks!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LonghornFlyer
Doesn't Etihad provide a free night stay in AUH when you transit through there on F? This was some odd years ago, but I do recall getting that benefit then. I too did the reverse. We landed late afternoon in AUH and had an early flight out.

We did one night in AUH and thought it was nice. We visited the gold market at night and had some local cuisine. Next morning we went to the lounge bright and early to enjoy before heading the MLE. That being said, since you arrive so late in AUH, might not be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.