FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1683445-st-regis-maldives-vommuli-resort-master-thread.html)

rarSV Sep 17, 2019 3:00 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 31531256)
That's great! According to the wiki that would be like a 2 category upgrade because the OWV is 1 above the GV. Are you planning to ask to switch to an OWV at all throughout your stay?

Our butler suggested that if a Sunset Over Water Villa becomes available, he’ll try to get us in one. Perfectly with our beach villa.

mjrobson Sep 17, 2019 4:57 am

If they're at 50-60% you can probably chance a comp upgrade and look at a paid upgrade when you arrive in MLE.

friedablass Sep 17, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by mjrobson (Post 31533572)
If they're at 50-60% you can probably chance a comp upgrade and look at a paid upgrade when you arrive in MLE.

How do you know what the occupancy rate will be during your stay?

mjrobson Sep 17, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 31533863)
How do you know what the occupancy rate will be during your stay?

Someone made a comment yesterday about current occupancy around those levels and some changes to breakfast.

Generally speaking, occupancy is going to be higher in peak season and into the shoulder seasons versus the low season.

Fabian822 Sep 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Additional data point, booked GV on points before Cat.8 introduction in 2018 and will arrive tomorrow (currently at the airport). There had not been availability of beach villas for the las few days so I was already trying to get used to the idea of a GV or other options but today, roughly 30 hours before arrival, tadaaa, Beach Villa.
So as I see in this thread I will be able to say hi to at least two fellow FTers on the beach or with a mimosa in hand at breakfast :)

bhrubin Sep 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fabian822 (Post 31535036)
Additional data point, booked GV on points before Cat.8 introduction in 2018 and will arrive tomorrow (currently at the airport). There had not been availability of beach villas for the las few days so I was already trying to get used to the idea of a GV or other options but today, roughly 30 hours before arrival, tadaaa, Beach Villa.
So as I see in this thread I will be able to say hi to at least two fellow FTers on the beach or with a mimosa in hand at breakfast :)

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Congrats on the beach villa upgrade. Enjoy!

Fabian822 Sep 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31535072)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Congrats on the beach villa upgrade. Enjoy!

Thanks! Have been “around” for a couple of years but mainly active in other fora (VFT in German). Will post a summary after the stay. Ah, to complete the data point, Titanium here.

bhrubin Sep 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fabian822 (Post 31535163)
Thanks! Have been “around” for a couple of years but mainly active in other fora (VFT in German). Will post a summary after the stay. Ah, to complete the data point, Titanium here.

Fantastic.

rarSV Sep 20, 2019 1:15 am

Hi all. In correspondence with various butlers re dinner reservations, I asked what would be the occupancy rate during my stay. They replied 50-60%. I wanted to know the number to gauge my chances of an upgrade.

Terry Xu Sep 20, 2019 7:14 am

Checking in tomorrow. App showed upgrade to beach villa

price123 Sep 24, 2019 4:46 am

Checked in today and was upgraded to sunset over-water. Gorgeous villa and great welcome from butler, as well as a lovely amenity tailored to our dietary requirements. We had a quick journey over from Baglioni (<10 min boat trip) - the weather is pretty poor at the moment but fingers crossed it clears up in the next few days.

One negative though - I'm surprised by the extent of single-use plastics used here. From plastic water bottles, to dates in the minibar, individually wrapped in plastic and a loofah wrapped in plastic twice. It isn't really acceptable to do this any more...

porkie Sep 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 31557234)
Checked in today and was upgraded to sunset over-water. Gorgeous villa and great welcome from butler, as well as a lovely amenity tailored to our dietary requirements. We had a quick journey over from Baglioni (<10 min boat trip) - the weather is pretty poor at the moment but fingers crossed it clears up in the next few days.

Congrats on the upgrade, did you book the base garden villa?

I have a 7 night stay coming up in November, the OVW is sold out on the site entirely for my dates however I was quoted $369 per night for upgrade which would be rather pricey for the whole stay. Not sure if I should go ahead and upgrade or roll the dice and hope for the comp upgrade on checkin (I'd be happy with just about any villa type other than garden).

Was anyone successful in getting a confirmed comp upgrade more sooner than a day or two before checkin?

mjrobson Sep 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by porkie (Post 31559259)
Congrats on the upgrade, did you book the base garden villa?

I have a 7 night stay coming up in November, the OVW is sold out on the site entirely for my dates however I was quoted $369 per night for upgrade which would be rather pricey for the whole stay. Not sure if I should go ahead and upgrade or roll the dice and hope for the comp upgrade on checkin (I'd be happy with just about any villa type other than garden).

Was anyone successful in getting a confirmed comp upgrade more sooner than a day or two before checkin?

The general consensus has been no. If the occupancy is that high, you're going to have less of a chance. If they're taking paid upgrades, it could be that they're moving someone from an OWV to a SOWV to accommodate, depending on what's booked.

If you want a specific room, only way to guarantee is to pay for it. If this is a one time trip and you're going to be really disappointed in a GV, no question I would pay.

We stayed for 8 nights and spent 8000 on food (decanter, private beach dinner and a visiting michelin chef dinner), drink, 1 bonvoy special couples massage, 1 signature massage for 2 and 4 scuba dives. In that context, 2583 to get the room you want, isn't that bad if you're already booked on points.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 31557234)

One negative though - I'm surprised by the extent of single-use plastics used here. From plastic water bottles, to dates in the minibar, individually wrapped in plastic and a loofah wrapped in plastic twice. It isn't really acceptable to do this any more...

I agree re single use plastics. And it really is a shame in the Maldives especially, where there is actually a very critical waste management situation, even if it is hidden from resort guests.

Resorts here usually incinerate much of their garbage on property. So, it seems very wasteful and foolish to have unnecessary plastic items in use, only to be incinerated after a guest has used these items. Some resorts, on the other hand, have in house drinking water purification and circulate reusable glass bottles for this purpose. Equally, some resorts are very careful to avoid single use plastics. There are many ways to provide comfort and luxury to guests without so much waste.

By the way, how does Baglioni compare to StR? It looks quite good.

bhrubin Sep 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson (Post 31559669)
We stayed for 8 nights and spent 8000 on food (decanter, private beach dinner and a visiting michelin chef dinner), drink, 1 bonvoy special couples massage, 1 signature massage for 2 and 4 scuba dives. In that context, 2583 to get the room you want, isn't that bad if you're already booked on points.

Bolding mine as we are advanced and wreck certified divers.

I am most curious to hear about the quality of your 4 dives and what you saw. I’m also curious about your relative experience if you don’t mind. Any details you can share will be most helpful. Thanks!