Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:04 am
kkl

Originally Posted by Anndr000
Are they supposed to refill the tray of pastries and fruits? Been here for 4 days already and haven’t seen any of those things being refilled...
Ask your butler

Mine visited us everyday with fresh fruits and cookies
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by kkl

Ask your butler

Mine visited us everyday with fresh fruits and cookies
wow really? I’ve seen my butler the first day arriving and the second day because we ran into her... that was it... she would call us to confirm dinner reservations, but that’s about it
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold

wow really? I’ve seen my butler the first day arriving and the second day because we ran into her... that was it... she would call us to confirm dinner reservations, but that’s about it
We saw our butler several times a day and brought fresh fruit maybe every 3rd day or so I'd say.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: NH Platinum; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Are they supposed to refill the tray of pastries and fruits? Been here for 4 days already and haven’t seen any of those things being refilled...
You need to explicitly request fruits and cookies/brownies if you want more. The 'pastries' (I assume you mean the Arabic sweets, half of which are baklava?) are a one-time welcome amenity.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:59 am
kkl

We saw our butler multiple times a day, firstly at breakfast and mid afternoon with the fruits and cookies, and night time if we had dinner reservations, he would pick us up and drop us off if he could
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Curious; did you tip your butler on arrival?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Curious; did you tip your butler on arrival?
im curious to know too.

ive previously asked the forums opinion on tipping the butler a large sum of money at the beginning in hopes of getting free breakfast.

from reading through the thread, tipping does seem to improve the standard of service...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
We already got breakfast covered due to titanium status. Will probably tip our butler a bit at the beginning ($50) and tell him more to come at the end if he’s good.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsut9596
Has anyone tried Local Ferry to arrive the nearest Island?
It costs only about $100 for Local Ferry (3 hours ride) which arrives at Rinbudhoo.
It is only 5 mins boat ride from Rinbodhoo to St.Regis Vommuli.
I'm curious about this too, but after much searching it seems Vommuli is a private island, there aren't any public ferries or water taxis having an option to dock at the island unless you coordinate with the hotel itself. If not, you will have to hire a private water taxi which is presumably equally costly as flying in because you can't really split the cost with any other guest that is traveling into the island.

There is a public ferry service among the Dhaal Atoll islands, understandably, there are no stops between any of the private islands including the St Regis sitting on Vommuli. I wonder if it's possible to ask concierge to arrange departure via a private ferry to Rinbudhoo island. It will be nice to visit the other islands that Maldives has to offer besides flying all the way back to Male..

https://www.atolltransfer.com/dhaal-atoll-public-ferry

Last edited by exploreaswego; Mar 19, 2019 at 12:41 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:30 am
kkl

no tip was given at any time. they were informed ahead that it was for a milestone birthday + plat prem elite status. we had the longest serving butler who has been there since opening (apparently). we gave him a box of chocolates at the end of our trip as a token of our appreciation. I was told they get paid pretty well anyway
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:35 am

I saw my butler at checkin and checkout. When I requested fruits, they were charged to my bill.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: EK Plat
I promised to wait until the GM replied before sharing my views on the property. He has now done so but only after initially claiming not to receive my email, and only after I phoned to follow up given no response was received 48 hours after sending it again...

The Good - the rooms were clean and spacious. Housekeeping was very efficient. The staff are friendly and well-meaning. The resort is beautiful. Snorkelling was better than expected given previous reports here.

The Bad - well, unfortunately, there is lots of it...

Pre-arrival - completely incompetent communication, to the extent that my email requesting confirmation of our transfer arrangements was forwarded back to me in error rather than to the correct department. I had to follow up numerous times to get any reply. Our one and only stay request, namely that my partner does not drink champagne or sparkling wine (yes she's a keeper), was ignored and a bottle of champagne was duly left in our room. Yes, I accept that this is the most first-world of first-world problems. But when you only make one request, you would hope it could be met.

Butler service - our butler's friendly demeanour was only matched by his incompetence. This was generally the case with most of the staff we interacted with at the resort. Upon arrival, we were told that he had booked us a set of restaurants and that is where 'we' were going to eat. I previously e-mailed to enquire about dining options which were open during our stay but we received a reply on the day prior to departure.

The reservations were mostly booked at 21:30, and we had expressed absolutely no interest in visiting any of them. Had any pre-arrival contact been made, it would have been abundantly clear that we were not interested in having a Middle Eastern tasting menu given that we live in the Middle East. He would also have known that we do not enjoy eating at late. We felt like were having our choices dictated to us wherever there was availability (the resort was at capacity) as opposed to having our stay tailored to our preferences.

Our butler contacted us during the afternoon or our second day to tell us about a bonfire dinner at Alba. This had never been mentioned to us in the pre-arrival email, nor on arrival. It seemed like there had been a cancellation when he called as he informed us that there was just “one table left” and we felt under pressure to make a decision as to whether we wanted to go. Nevertheless, when we arrived there were many empty tables (and this remained the same throughout the evening). The “bonfire” itself was fairly pathetic; there are gas hobs in many kitchens with larger fires. We also had other issues with the meal, again detailed further below.

I also felt that the butler service phone line always wanted to pass the buck and not take any responsibility. On our penultimate day, I had to actively follow up to get our departure flight time, and to rearrange some massage times as a result. When I called, the individual kept saying he would speak to our butler who would then make the changes. Why not just do it? In the interests of time, I took it upon myself to do so, which led me to speak to an actively hostile woman at the spa.

A further example of failure by the staff to take ownership or responsibility is when I twisted my ankle playing tennis. I asked two staff in the nearby Vommuli House for an ice pack. Despite being in quite obvious pain, both staff felt the appropriate response was to say “we will try and contact your butler to arrange this” rather than actively provide assistance. Let's hope no-one ever needs more serious medical assistance.

Dining - we felt that the food ranged from mediocre at best, to poor at worse. It says a lot that my partner felt that the best meal she had during the stay was the congee at breakfast. The food was, without doubt, the most disappointing aspect to our stay.

Bonfire

The attempt at upselling by the staff member by the fish counter was utterly disgraceful. Upon selecting some oysters, we asked if he would confirm that they would simply be served raw. The response - “would you like some caviar with your oysters?”. Right...

In addition, we felt that our waiter was trying to push us to order as many side dishes as possible even though we mentioned we were not that hungry; while I appreciate the costs involved to import food in the Maldives, being pushed to order a baked potato at US$18++ several times is simply obscene.

Further, upon receiving our pre-departure bill and querying a charge, our butler mentioned that there was an additional Bonfire bill because we ordered food after the initial bill was signed. This is simply not true. We actually had to request the bill four times after our meal had finished before being presented with it.

Crust

Due to a delay in our flight on our final day, we decided to have a pizza from Crust in Alba before departure. When the pizza arrived, it was cold. When telling the Crust staff of this the reply was “this is how it is meant to be served”. Is there any pizzaiolo in the world who will tell me that pizza should be served cold? (Other than when eating leftovers hungover)

Fortunately a staff member from Alba intervened and arranged for another pizza to be made; however, it was tasteless and not much warmer. No-one questioned why we left half the pizza. I'd really like to know what OMAAT was smoking when he says of Crust "The pizzas were excellent, among the best I’ve had outside Italy."

Alba

At breakfast: (1) every day, we had to re-request parts of our order as items would be missing; (2) on our first two mornings, we were presented with our sweet plates before our savoury ones (if I had not requested that we get served our savoury choices first on our final day morning, it would likely have been the same). Perhaps this is a new fashion like cold pizza?; and (3) despite an extensive tea selection, we were told most options were unavailable. The excuse we were given was bizarre (“we get our delivery on Friday”) when it was a Sunday...

Spa - my brief phone interaction with the receptionist to arrange timing of massages on our departure day was almost actively hostile; she made it sound like it was a privilege for us to be accommodated by the spa. It could perhaps best be charcterised as the reaction to pressing the call bell when flying Y.

Upon arriving, we felt very rushed (and it seemed like we were being passed through a ‘conveyor belt’ line of service. So much for being relaxing. While the massages themselves were excellent; they were less than 50 minutes in length as opposed to the 60 minutes that we paid for.

Departure - we found someone else's sandals (fancy YSL ones at that) in a St Regis paper bag, in one of our checked baggages when we got back home. We have highlighted this to resort, only to receive a nonsensical reply from our butler - "they were outside your room and you told us to pack them". Well we are not going senile quite yet and they definitely were not...

Overall...

We still enjoyed our holiday, but mainly because it was the first time in a while we were both able to fully disconnect from our jobs. We did not highlight service issues at the time as we simply wanted to relax rather than get stressed and complain. Perhaps our complaints might seem minor or trivial but it eventually felt like death by a thousand cuts.

The GM's (quite obviously largely copy and paste) response to my feedback is as follows. It fails to even address the fact that we still have someone else's belongings after we have followed up. In my view, it is totally inadequate and I have told him as much. Quality service usually comes from quality leadership and his response reflects the attitude found at the resort.

"Thank you very much for your email and for your detailed and constructive feedback regarding your stay with us here at The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service that you experienced.
I have personally shared this with our Resort Manager and L&D Manager who are addressing in our ongoing training sessions and quality audits. Unfortunately, as you mentioned that you did not highlight during your stay the opportunity to resolve was missed.

We look forward to welcoming you back where a warm welcome and improved experience awaits you."
cabbit likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
I promised to wait until the GM replied before sharing my views on the property. He has now done so but only after initially claiming not to receive my email, and only after I phoned to follow up given no response was received 48 hours after sending it again...

The Good - the rooms were clean and spacious. Housekeeping was very efficient. The staff are friendly and well-meaning. The resort is beautiful. Snorkelling was better than expected given previous reports here.

The Bad - well, unfortunately, there is lots of it...

Pre-arrival - completely incompetent communication, to the extent that my email requesting confirmation of our transfer arrangements was forwarded back to me in error rather than to the correct department. I had to follow up numerous times to get any reply. Our one and only stay request, namely that my partner does not drink champagne or sparkling wine (yes she's a keeper), was ignored and a bottle of champagne was duly left in our room. Yes, I accept that this is the most first-world of first-world problems. But when you only make one request, you would hope it could be met.

Butler service - our butler's friendly demeanour was only matched by his incompetence. This was generally the case with most of the staff we interacted with at the resort. Upon arrival, we were told that he had booked us a set of restaurants and that is where 'we' were going to eat. I previously e-mailed to enquire about dining options which were open during our stay but we received a reply on the day prior to departure.

The reservations were mostly booked at 21:30, and we had expressed absolutely no interest in visiting any of them. Had any pre-arrival contact been made, it would have been abundantly clear that we were not interested in having a Middle Eastern tasting menu given that we live in the Middle East. He would also have known that we do not enjoy eating at late. We felt like were having our choices dictated to us wherever there was availability (the resort was at capacity) as opposed to having our stay tailored to our preferences.

Our butler contacted us during the afternoon or our second day to tell us about a bonfire dinner at Alba. This had never been mentioned to us in the pre-arrival email, nor on arrival. It seemed like there had been a cancellation when he called as he informed us that there was just “one table left” and we felt under pressure to make a decision as to whether we wanted to go. Nevertheless, when we arrived there were many empty tables (and this remained the same throughout the evening). The “bonfire” itself was fairly pathetic; there are gas hobs in many kitchens with larger fires. We also had other issues with the meal, again detailed further below.

I also felt that the butler service phone line always wanted to pass the buck and not take any responsibility. On our penultimate day, I had to actively follow up to get our departure flight time, and to rearrange some massage times as a result. When I called, the individual kept saying he would speak to our butler who would then make the changes. Why not just do it? In the interests of time, I took it upon myself to do so, which led me to speak to an actively hostile woman at the spa.

A further example of failure by the staff to take ownership or responsibility is when I twisted my ankle playing tennis. I asked two staff in the nearby Vommuli House for an ice pack. Despite being in quite obvious pain, both staff felt the appropriate response was to say “we will try and contact your butler to arrange this” rather than actively provide assistance. Let's hope no-one ever needs more serious medical assistance.

Dining - we felt that the food ranged from mediocre at best, to poor at worse. It says a lot that my partner felt that the best meal she had during the stay was the congee at breakfast. The food was, without doubt, the most disappointing aspect to our stay.

Bonfire

The attempt at upselling by the staff member by the fish counter was utterly disgraceful. Upon selecting some oysters, we asked if he would confirm that they would simply be served raw. The response - “would you like some caviar with your oysters?”. Right...

In addition, we felt that our waiter was trying to push us to order as many side dishes as possible even though we mentioned we were not that hungry; while I appreciate the costs involved to import food in the Maldives, being pushed to order a baked potato at US$18++ several times is simply obscene.

Further, upon receiving our pre-departure bill and querying a charge, our butler mentioned that there was an additional Bonfire bill because we ordered food after the initial bill was signed. This is simply not true. We actually had to request the bill four times after our meal had finished before being presented with it.

Crust

Due to a delay in our flight on our final day, we decided to have a pizza from Crust in Alba before departure. When the pizza arrived, it was cold. When telling the Crust staff of this the reply was “this is how it is meant to be served”. Is there any pizzaiolo in the world who will tell me that pizza should be served cold? (Other than when eating leftovers hungover)

Fortunately a staff member from Alba intervened and arranged for another pizza to be made; however, it was tasteless and not much warmer. No-one questioned why we left half the pizza. I'd really like to know what OMAAT was smoking when he says of Crust "The pizzas were excellent, among the best I’ve had outside Italy."

Alba

At breakfast: (1) every day, we had to re-request parts of our order as items would be missing; (2) on our first two mornings, we were presented with our sweet plates before our savoury ones (if I had not requested that we get served our savoury choices first on our final day morning, it would likely have been the same). Perhaps this is a new fashion like cold pizza?; and (3) despite an extensive tea selection, we were told most options were unavailable. The excuse we were given was bizarre (“we get our delivery on Friday”) when it was a Sunday...

Spa - my brief phone interaction with the receptionist to arrange timing of massages on our departure day was almost actively hostile; she made it sound like it was a privilege for us to be accommodated by the spa. It could perhaps best be charcterised as the reaction to pressing the call bell when flying Y.

Upon arriving, we felt very rushed (and it seemed like we were being passed through a ‘conveyor belt’ line of service. So much for being relaxing. While the massages themselves were excellent; they were less than 50 minutes in length as opposed to the 60 minutes that we paid for.

Departure - we found someone else's sandals (fancy YSL ones at that) in a St Regis paper bag, in one of our checked baggages when we got back home. We have highlighted this to resort, only to receive a nonsensical reply from our butler - "they were outside your room and you told us to pack them". Well we are not going senile quite yet and they definitely were not...

Overall...

We still enjoyed our holiday, but mainly because it was the first time in a while we were both able to fully disconnect from our jobs. We did not highlight service issues at the time as we simply wanted to relax rather than get stressed and complain. Perhaps our complaints might seem minor or trivial but it eventually felt like death by a thousand cuts.

The GM's (quite obviously largely copy and paste) response to my feedback is as follows. It fails to even address the fact that we still have someone else's belongings after we have followed up. In my view, it is totally inadequate and I have told him as much. Quality service usually comes from quality leadership and his response reflects the attitude found at the resort.

"Thank you very much for your email and for your detailed and constructive feedback regarding your stay with us here at The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service that you experienced.
I have personally shared this with our Resort Manager and L&D Manager who are addressing in our ongoing training sessions and quality audits. Unfortunately, as you mentioned that you did not highlight during your stay the opportunity to resolve was missed.

We look forward to welcoming you back where a warm welcome and improved experience awaits you."

Thank you so much for your honest review!!! Much appreciated!!! Kind of feel maybe I should just stay in my own room and order room service for my trip in 3 weeks time 🤣
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:45 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Wow, that's pretty scathing. Glad I didn't end up booking here after all.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Wow, that's pretty scathing. Glad I didn't end up booking here after all.
We had an incredible time and the exact opposite experience. You are missing out.
ab_initio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.