FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1683445-st-regis-maldives-vommuli-resort-master-thread.html)

Mr. Vker Feb 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by faselt (Post 30789915)
I'll try one more time to ask as I'm leaving in a few days. The inflatable lilo seems like it may be fun if tied off the dock of the OWV but I don't really know if there is danger to damage coral which I really wouldn't want to do. Anyone else have experiences with these or seen them at the resort previously?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Also in regards to upgrades I was offered the following for upgrade from GV

Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 246.40 per night
Sunset Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 369.60 per night
Overwater St. Regis Suite with Pool at USD 616.00 per night

We just paid for the OWV upgrade August Stay and $246.40/night. CC charged and reservation now reflects the new room type. I did have some trouble getting CC info them. First time, I typed the info into the PDF and sent it. They could read it due to pixelization. I hand wrote it and it was fine. They wanted me to fax...We don't have a fax and my office doesnt either. The nice thing was, they did the upgrade right away and gave me 48 hours to make sure they got payment info they could read.

Every correspondence with them has been great. They apologized for a delay one time as they are overwhelmed with the changes and upcoming Cat 8. :D

faselt Feb 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12 (Post 30791127)
What kind of luck have people had requesting specific villas? I have a reservation in Dec for a SOWV and the hotel noted my request but seemed very noncommittal.

I would be very curious on this too. What villas did you request for SOWV?

sydneyflyer12 Feb 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by faselt (Post 30791203)
I would be very curious on this too. What villas did you request for SOWV?

In the following order:
1. 536
2. 537
3. 538

Based on what I've read here and from the photos/map of the resort it seems like those would have complete privacy while also not having to look at the back of the JJA Villa.

Mr. Vker Feb 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12 (Post 30791211)
In the following order:
1. 536
2. 537
3. 538

Based on what I've read here and from the photos/map of the resort it seems like those would have complete privacy while also not having to look at the back of the JJA Villa.

Any suggestions for OWV preferences? Do all of those face the lagoon-inside the curve-or might we get something on the outside of the curve facing out to sea?

sydneyflyer12 Feb 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 30791241)
Any suggestions for OWV preferences? Do all of those face the lagoon-inside the curve-or might we get something on the outside of the curve facing out to sea?

If you do a google image search for "St Regis Maldives Villa map" you'll see a map of all the villas with hand written numbers on them. Just add "5" to the front of the number to get the full villa number (e.g. "36" becomes "536").

There are OWVs on both the inside curve facing the island and on the north curve facing the ocean. The villas facing the island, can get more sun on the decks and thus have warmer pools during the days depending on where on the curve you are but also have somewhat limited privacy because they face other villas and the island. I would assume 513-516 would be the best if sun and a warm pool are most important to you. The north, ocean-facing villas get less sun but have near total privacy as you can't see their decks from the island or from the other villas. Based on the map, I would 522 and 523 would have the best combo of privacy and lack of JJA villa in view.

Seems like which grouping is better would just depend on personal preference.

Mr. Vker Feb 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12 (Post 30791260)
If you do a google image search for "St Regis Maldives Villa map" you'll see a map of all the villas with hand written numbers on them. Just add "5" to the front of the number to get the full villa number (e.g. "36" becomes "536").

There are OWVs on both the inside curve facing the island and on the north curve facing the ocean. The villas facing the island, can get more sun on the decks and thus have warmer pools during the days depending on where on the curve you are but also have somewhat limited privacy because they face other villas and the island. I would assume 513-516 would be the best if sun and a warm pool are most important to you. The north, ocean-facing villas get less sun but have near total privacy as you can't see their decks from the island or from the other villas. Based on the map, I would 522 and 523 would have the best combo of privacy and lack of JJA villa in view.

Seems like which grouping is better would just depend on personal preference.

Thanks! This is our 25th anniversary and my wife is reading and researching daily.

NYCroots Feb 18, 2019 9:40 am

Originally Posted by faselt (Post 30789951)
Did you get resolution on this? It happened to my reservation as well
​​​​​

Regarding Marriott's IT systems randomly adding another person to my reservation, with the additional seaplane fee - I emailed the hotel and they responded back this morning:

"Further to your enquiry, please be advised that we recently moved to new systems and therefore the way the reservations details are displayed have changed which has caused some confusion. Allow us to clarify the charges for you as below:

Return seaplane transfer at USD 695.00 per adult x 2 adults = 1390
Mandatory Government Green Tax at USD 6.00 per person per day x 2 adults x 5 night = 60
Grand Total = USD 1,450.00

Please be advised that you will not be required to pay the extra person supplement rate which is currently displaying on your reservation and disregard any amount which is exceeding the grand total amount.

We hope that the above information clarifies the matter. As this is a system glitch I am afraid I will not be able to correct the amount which is currently displaying on your reservation. However we will not be charging any amount which is displaying as an extra person supplement."

larciel Feb 18, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12 (Post 30791211)
In the following order:
1. 536
2. 537
3. 538

Why not those near the suite at the end?

sydneyflyer12 Feb 18, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by larciel (Post 30793237)
Why not those near the suite at the end?

Because 536-538 have the same amount of privacy as the villas down at the end and don't have their views partially obscured by the JJA villa like those villas do.

aznyc Feb 19, 2019 11:01 am

Hi all, long time reader here, just registered.
I'll be cancelling one of my GV reservations I booked for August once I finally figure out the best available flights. So maybe someone will be lucky enough to grab it if Marriott doesn't play any games here.
So it'll be either Aug 4-9th or Aug 10-15th 2019. As of now it looks like I'll keep 10-15th and cancel 4-9th. Will post the update here in advance next 1-2 weeks.

Mr. Vker Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am

Originally Posted by aznyc (Post 30797921)
Hi all, long time reader here, just registered.
I'll be cancelling one of my GV reservations I booked for August once I finally figure out the best available flights. So maybe someone will be lucky enough to grab it if Marriott doesn't play any games here.
So it'll be either Aug 4-9th or Aug 10-15th 2019. As of now it looks like I'll keep 10-15th and cancel 4-9th. Will post the update here in advance next 1-2 weeks.

We will see you there! We are there Aug 9-17.

bgraff Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm

St. Regis Maldives - Great Room, Better Snorkeling

Introduction Below are some comments on the St. Regis. I am a Lifetime Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium member. I used points for a 6 night stay for a garden room (60k/night), and did NOT pay to confirm an upgrade in advance. I was upgraded (for free) a few days before my arrival. Additionally, on the small plane over, I spoke to a Marriott Gold who was traveling by herself that also booked a garden suite on points and was upgraded (for free) to overwater. I was there during Chinese New Year, so it was pretty full. YMMV. Also made some comparisons vs the 2 Four Seasons properties and the W (I have been lucky enough to have stayed in all of them) 1) The service was really, really good. We really liked the "butler" service, and while all St. Regis' have this, and the Four Seasons has a similar program, the Vommuli resort has the best implementation i have experienced. Our butler, Tom, found us every morning at breakfast, and we would normally see him once or twice more during the day. He gave us his Whatsapp number, which was an AMAZING way to communicate and make requests... We found it was much easier to Whatsapp Tom than to call the general number. He was able to make and change dinner reservations, get more coffee/water for the suite, iron clothes, answer questions about the resort, etc... Tom is a great butler, and we were happy to have his services as part of the holiday. 2) The Internet! was fantastic. They actually encourage you (technology wise) to stream netflix to your in suite TV (if you want to watch anything). The internet bandwidth was great, wifi was prevelant, and they also had a cell phone tower on or near the island. We have Google Fi, and were happily making calls and getting txts (for free) using our normal phones with no additional charges. For some, this may be a negative, but we appreciated the full connectivity. 3) Snorkeling (GREAT) - The W had a house reef that (to that point) was the best snorkeling i have done ever). I have been told that the bleaching over the past decade has significantly harmed the reef (at the W). Likewise, at both Four Seasons Resorts, we found the snorkeling off the house reef to be poor. Our expectations for the St. Regis were low, but we were blown away with how good it was. I've attached a crude map of where we went and what we saw. Note, we are strong swimmers and felt comfortable snorkeling around the outlying overwater suites, but there is NO ACCESS on the jetty except to your own room. If you are staying on the main island, you need to snorkel out, and back... No jumping in from the jetty, or getting back out. With that safety disclaimer, we saw white and black tip sharks every time out, as well as spotted eagle rays (twice), turtles, moray eels, clown fish, and huge schools of various other fish. Im trying to put a You Tube video montage of the highlights. We snorkeled every morning (8-9am) and evening (4-5pm). The best snorkeling was in front of the John Jacob Astor Suite, but it was good everywhere from the far end of the jetty to the Astor Suite (and continuing in towards the Whale Bar). 4) Scuba Diving was disappointing! We were very disappointed with the dive center. Their service, flexibility, and attitude. (note: the dive center is not managed by the St. Regis. We talked to the St. Regis manager, and he was able to intercede on our behalf, but they outsource the diving and watersports to another entity for liability reasons). Specifically, the local dive center has a unique requirement to do a "check out dive". And they make you pay $250 for that privilege. Yes, a dive with rental gear (and the boat fee, which they price separately) is about $250. My wife and I are both advanced Open water PADI divers with dives within the past year. I was only interested in doing 1 or 2 dives, so wanted to do "good ones"... Deeper, currents, etc... They were ok to book the dives, but said my first dive needed to be "easy", and was essentially a check out dive for them to verify your skills. I did not want to waste $250 and a morning of my vacation doing a check out dive, so declined. My wife did 1 dive anyway, and was very disappointed. Not only was the dive lackluster, but her assigned "buddy" was a beginning diver, do the dive master was handholding this novice diver the entire time and didn't point out anything... After we saw how good the snorkeling was at the house reef, we asked if we could dive the wall by the resort, perhaps even just going off from our overwater suite... no need for a boat, etc... They said no. Lastly, the dive center provides all of the complimentary fins for the rooms for guests to use for snorkeling. The fins they provide are "crap". Very low end, beat up, and made my wife's feet bleed. The fins they use for scuba are much nicer, but they would not let us use them for snorketing... We ended up talking to our butler and the resort manager who got her access tot he better fins, but what a hassle. For $2,000 a night, i think it is reasonable to have reasonable fins for snorkeling. All in all, very unimpressed with the dive center, but super happy with the snorkeling. 5) The food. We tried the whale bar (great view, great food, get reservations, but limited menu), Orientale (favorite place, get there at 630 or 645pm for a prime table by the water) and Alba (biggest food selection, but ambiance just "ok"). All in all the food was very good. As everyone cites, it is expensive, but you need to include this in your planning and just go with it... They have a grill next to Alba that does pizza, tacos, quesadillas, etc... But they are only open till 4pm. I was encourage the hotel to open this up for dinner... After heavy dinners all week, we were craving a pizza or something simple for one night. 6) The fitness center was good, but not large. Plenty of weight equipment, but only 2 treadmills and 1 elliptical and 1 bike. One morning, all 4 were used, the next morning, i was by myself... I would suggest adding a second elliptical. I tried the "included" yoga one morning. It was good but not outstanding... Seemed like typical resort yoga... 10 people in the class, and was pretty easy. Location was beautiful though. 7) Children: more than i recall compared to the W or the Four Seasons... there seemed to be a relatively large % of families there. It could have been because we were there over Chinese New Year and there were a lot of Chines families, but i was surprised with the amount of children. The only time you really noticed was at breakfast and because the restaurant was so full, you usually had a family table within 10-20' of you. Not a big deal, but something to be prepared for. Comparisons to W and Four Seasons: - We really liked the W, and want to go back someday. I recall it having a "cooler" and younger vibe, less families, and they had free ice cream on the jetty (at least they used to). However, i think the St. Regis has the W beat (assuming same price). The St Regis has better food options, better snorkeling (now), and fantastic butler service.- Comparing to the Four Seasons... We stayed at both Kuda Huraa and Landaa Giraavaru. The St. Regis beats Kuda Huraa hands down... More remote, better reef, better service, better food. However, Landaa Giraavaru is a great property, and is better in some ways (and worst in others). Landaa feels more "exclusive" and a little more luxurious. Landaa is a bigger island, so has a much larger beach, a small island you can kayak to, and better dining options. While they dont have a dedicated butler (St Regis wins this hands down), they have fantastic service. We also liked the variety of dining options. However, the snorkeling at Landaa was very poor. All in all, the St. Regis and Four Seasons Landaa are both excellent and beat out the W and the Four Seasons Kuda Huraa.

Mr. Vker Feb 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by bgraff (Post 30798151)
Introduction Below are some comments on the St. Regis. I am a Lifetime Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium member. I used points for a 6 night stay for a garden room (60k/night), and did NOT pay to confirm an upgrade in advance. I was upgraded (for free) a few days before my arrival. Additionally, on the small plane over, I spoke to a Marriott Gold who was traveling by herself that also booked a garden suite on points and was upgraded (for free) to overwater. I was there during Chinese New Year, so it was pretty full. YMMV. Also made some comparisons vs the 2 Four Seasons properties and the W (I have been lucky enough to have stayed in all of them) 1) The service was really, really good. We really liked the "butler" service, and while all St. Regis' have this, and the Four Seasons has a similar program, the Vommuli resort has the best implementation i have experienced. Our butler, Tom, found us every morning at breakfast, and we would normally see him once or twice more during the day. He gave us his Whatsapp number, which was an AMAZING way to communicate and make requests... We found it was much easier to Whatsapp Tom than to call the general number. He was able to make and change dinner reservations, get more coffee/water for the suite, iron clothes, answer questions about the resort, etc... Tom is a great butler, and we were happy to have his services as part of the holiday. 2) The Internet! was fantastic. They actually encourage you (technology wise) to stream netflix to your in suite TV (if you want to watch anything). The internet bandwidth was great, wifi was prevelant, and they also had a cell phone tower on or near the island. We have Google Fi, and were happily making calls and getting txts (for free) using our normal phones with no additional charges. For some, this may be a negative, but we appreciated the full connectivity. 3) Snorkeling (GREAT) - The W had a house reef that (to that point) was the best snorkeling i have done ever). I have been told that the bleaching over the past decade has significantly harmed the reef (at the W). Likewise, at both Four Seasons Resorts, we found the snorkeling off the house reef to be poor. Our expectations for the St. Regis were low, but we were blown away with how good it was. I've attached a crude map of where we went and what we saw. Note, we are strong swimmers and felt comfortable snorkeling around the outlying overwater suites, but there is NO ACCESS on the jetty except to your own room. If you are staying on the main island, you need to snorkel out, and back... No jumping in from the jetty, or getting back out. With that safety disclaimer, we saw white and black tip sharks every time out, as well as spotted eagle rays (twice), turtles, moray eels, clown fish, and huge schools of various other fish. Im trying to put a You Tube video montage of the highlights. We snorkeled every morning (8-9am) and evening (4-5pm). The best snorkeling was in front of the John Jacob Astor Suite, but it was good everywhere from the far end of the jetty to the Astor Suite (and continuing in towards the Whale Bar). 4) Scuba Diving was disappointing! We were very disappointed with the dive center. Their service, flexibility, and attitude. (note: the dive center is not managed by the St. Regis. We talked to the St. Regis manager, and he was able to intercede on our behalf, but they outsource the diving and watersports to another entity for liability reasons). Specifically, the local dive center has a unique requirement to do a "check out dive". And they make you pay $250 for that privilege. Yes, a dive with rental gear (and the boat fee, which they price separately) is about $250. My wife and I are both advanced Open water PADI divers with dives within the past year. I was only interested in doing 1 or 2 dives, so wanted to do "good ones"... Deeper, currents, etc... They were ok to book the dives, but said my first dive needed to be "easy", and was essentially a check out dive for them to verify your skills. I did not want to waste $250 and a morning of my vacation doing a check out dive, so declined. My wife did 1 dive anyway, and was very disappointed. Not only was the dive lackluster, but her assigned "buddy" was a beginning diver, do the dive master was handholding this novice diver the entire time and didn't point out anything... After we saw how good the snorkeling was at the house reef, we asked if we could dive the wall by the resort, perhaps even just going off from our overwater suite... no need for a boat, etc... They said no. Lastly, the dive center provides all of the complimentary fins for the rooms for guests to use for snorkeling. The fins they provide are "crap". Very low end, beat up, and made my wife's feet bleed. The fins they use for scuba are much nicer, but they would not let us use them for snorketing... We ended up talking to our butler and the resort manager who got her access tot he better fins, but what a hassle. For $2,000 a night, i think it is reasonable to have reasonable fins for snorkeling. All in all, very unimpressed with the dive center, but super happy with the snorkeling. 5) The food. We tried the whale bar (great view, great food, get reservations, but limited menu), Orientale (favorite place, get there at 630 or 645pm for a prime table by the water) and Alba (biggest food selection, but ambiance just "ok"). All in all the food was very good. As everyone cites, it is expensive, but you need to include this in your planning and just go with it... They have a grill next to Alba that does pizza, tacos, quesadillas, etc... But they are only open till 4pm. I was encourage the hotel to open this up for dinner... After heavy dinners all week, we were craving a pizza or something simple for one night. 6) The fitness center was good, but not large. Plenty of weight equipment, but only 2 treadmills and 1 elliptical and 1 bike. One morning, all 4 were used, the next morning, i was by myself... I would suggest adding a second elliptical. I tried the "included" yoga one morning. It was good but not outstanding... Seemed like typical resort yoga... 10 people in the class, and was pretty easy. Location was beautiful though. 7) Children: more than i recall compared to the W or the Four Seasons... there seemed to be a relatively large % of families there. It could have been because we were there over Chinese New Year and there were a lot of Chines families, but i was surprised with the amount of children. The only time you really noticed was at breakfast and because the restaurant was so full, you usually had a family table within 10-20' of you. Not a big deal, but something to be prepared for. Comparisons to W and Four Seasons: - We really liked the W, and want to go back someday. I recall it having a "cooler" and younger vibe, less families, and they had free ice cream on the jetty (at least they used to). However, i think the St. Regis has the W beat (assuming same price). The St Regis has better food options, better snorkeling (now), and fantastic butler service.- Comparing to the Four Seasons... We stayed at both Kuda Huraa and Landaa Giraavaru. The St. Regis beats Kuda Huraa hands down... More remote, better reef, better service, better food. However, Landaa Giraavaru is a great property, and is better in some ways (and worst in others). Landaa feels more "exclusive" and a little more luxurious. Landaa is a bigger island, so has a much larger beach, a small island you can kayak to, and better dining options. While they dont have a dedicated butler (St Regis wins this hands down), they have fantastic service. We also liked the variety of dining options. However, the snorkeling at Landaa was very poor. All in all, the St. Regis and Four Seasons Landaa are both excellent and beat out the W and the Four Seasons Kuda Huraa.

Fantastic info-particularly snorkel vs scuba. I need to use my own equipment--size 14 feet and a big guy. Have been debating on hauling it 1/2 around the world. You saw exactly what I want to see snorkeling and what had caused much debate StR vs W.

jaycis Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Good review bgraff, and thank you for that snorkeling map!

Additionally, on the small plane over, I spoke to a Marriott Gold who was traveling by herself that also booked a garden suite on points and was upgraded (for free) to overwater.
Wow. A Bonvoy Gold solo guest got comped GV -> OWV during February? Color me shocked.

I'm heading there with my SO in three weeks on a confirmed OWV reservation for 6 nights, so hopefully as Titanium we can get one of the SOWVs...

CPH-Flyer Feb 19, 2019 3:22 pm

We were snorkeling from villa 528, that gave a relatively short swim to the wall and outer parts of the reef, and we had a lot of good experiences with what we saw. One reason why the outer over water vilas are great, even if they have a more chilled pool.