Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
I upgraded to SOWV. What is the best SOWV? Need the privacy for the Honeymoon

Anyone have any experience with the room numbers for this type of room?
532-537 are the best, excluding 535 which is a suite
bean of joy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:12 am

I didn't earn points for scuba diving or sea plane. I only earned 3,700 points for the trip as a Platinum, even though I spent almost $5,000.... Is this right?

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Activities should count unless any of them involved a sub contracted third party provider.

If points received only account for 50% of spend, it probably is worth looking into. Everything is screwed up with the change over to the Marriott system at certain (perhaps all?) former Starwood properties, so I would be extra careful to ensure that proper point credit has been issued.

Seaplane, VAT, and service charge of course will not earn points.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
This is being discussed on some Marriott Rewards point threads. Many here might have Cat 7 reservations working to earn points before the move to Cat 8. The statement below was in the Get Ready for Bonvoy announcement. This goes against one of the main points of points advance.

Points Advance — Members can book stays when they do not have enough points if they earn or purchase the needed points at least 14 days prior to check-in. Members who wish to book a points advance redemption under the current Marriott Rewards and SPG award chart are encouraged to order redemption certificates before March 5 to lock in the rate. On March 5, redemption bookings are subject to the new unified program award chart.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
This is being discussed on some Marriott Rewards point threads. Many here might have Cat 7 reservations working to earn points before the move to Cat 8. The statement below was in the Get Ready for Bonvoy announcement. This goes against one of the main points of points advance.

Points Advance — Members can book stays when they do not have enough points if they earn or purchase the needed points at least 14 days prior to check-in. Members who wish to book a points advance redemption under the current Marriott Rewards and SPG award chart are encouraged to order redemption certificates before March 5 to lock in the rate. On March 5, redemption bookings are subject to the new unified program award chart.
This would be an ENORMOUS issue for me and I'm sure countless others. I've already booked non-refundable airfare under the assumption that Marriott would honor the rates as they promised to many times - Silly me!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by keggers1
I didn't earn points for scuba diving or sea plane. I only earned 3,700 points for the trip as a Platinum, even though I spent almost $5,000.... Is this right?
The seaplane definitely does not count for points, it is a third party service that the hotel is just managing for you.

Since we only did snorkeling, I can't say anything about the dive center activities.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
This would be an ENORMOUS issue for me and I'm sure countless others. I've already booked non-refundable airfare under the assumption that Marriott would honor the rates as they promised to many times - Silly me!
They are honouring the rates until March, which has been the deadline for the new chart for quite a while, plus they are allowing you to book at the old rate even if you do not have the points now, just as long as you have them before the stay. I don't see what there is to get upset about. I would take this reminder as a positive, "Please make sure to book at the old rate while you still can, here is an extra way to make it possible"
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:54 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They are honouring the rates until March, which has been the deadline for the new chart for quite a while, plus they are allowing you to book at the old rate even if you do not have the points now, just as long as you have them before the stay. I don't see what there is to get upset about. I would take this reminder as a positive, "Please make sure to book at the old rate while you still can, here is an extra way to make it possible"
The key thing is that, according to the post above, they are not allowing you to do what you describe in the bolded text I've quoted. They are saying you need to order the redemption certificates, i.e. you need to have the points in your account, by March 5, or you'll have to pay the higher rate even if you made a Points Advance booking prior to March 5.

I have no idea how Points Advance worked in pre-merger Marriott world, but while I agree this sounds like a devaluation of my understanding of Points Advance, I don't totally blame them for taking this approach -- otherwise they would have tons of speculative bookings clogging up the reservations books for every hotel that's going up in category every year. At least if you have to have the points already it somewhat reduces the amount people can do that.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
The new announcement says to order the certificates prior to March 5 to lock in current rate. That's different than booking at current rate then earning the points.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
The key thing is that, according to the post above, they are not allowing you to do what you describe in the bolded text I've quoted. They are saying you need to order the redemption certificates, i.e. you need to have the points in your account, by March 5, or you'll have to pay the higher rate even if you made a Points Advance booking prior to March 5.

I have no idea how Points Advance worked in pre-merger Marriott world, but while I agree this sounds like a devaluation of my understanding of Points Advance, I don't totally blame them for taking this approach -- otherwise they would have tons of speculative bookings clogging up the reservations books for every hotel that's going up in category every year. At least if you have to have the points already it somewhat reduces the amount people can do that.
Maybe I misunderstand what they mean with ordering the certificates, I would read this as just get the booking in the system. But you are saying it is also paying the points for the booking?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:15 pm

Maybe I misunderstand what they mean with ordering the certificates, I would read this as just get the booking in the system. But you are saying it is also paying the points for the booking?

That's what I read. On a points advance reservation, it says specifically to "order certificates" two weeks or more before arrival. Now they are saying to order by March 5.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
"Order certificates" Is Marriott-speak for "pay for the points reservation", basically. Meaning you'd have to have the points in your account.

There's some discussion about this on the main category changes thread and in TPG's article about the category changes they mention that they've reached out to Marriott for clarification on what's required ... hopefully we'll get more clarity before March 5.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
"Order certificates" Is Marriott-speak for "pay for the points reservation", basically. Meaning you'd have to have the points in your account.

There's some discussion about this on the main category changes thread and in TPG's article about the category changes they mention that they've reached out to Marriott for clarification on what's required ... hopefully we'll get more clarity before March 5.
I read through the whole thread, does indeed seem to be the case. Waiting for an official statement from Marriott ....
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
This is not true at all. I was told when I booked that the rate was the current rate and that I had until 15 days prior to check in to earn the points. At no point was I told that the rate would change if I didn't earn the points before the new chart took effect.

Marriott encouraged booking of future Cat8 properties and the use of point advance bookings to take advantage of the current rates and lock them in without ever alluding to this new policy. I certainly feel intentionally misled.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:14 pm

This is not true at all. I was told when I booked that the rate was the current rate and that I had until 15 days prior to check in to earn the points. At no point was I told that the rate would change if I didn't earn the points before the new chart took effect.

Marriott encouraged booking of future Cat8 properties and the use of point advance bookings to take advantage of the current rates and lock them in without ever alluding to this new policy. I certainly feel intentionally misled.
That's because we were.
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I realise that I misunderstood the message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.