FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1683445-st-regis-maldives-vommuli-resort-master-thread.html)

cabbit Oct 18, 2018 1:04 am

U can book for late 2019 if u want.

but after 1/1/2019, there won’t me 60,000 rooms.

and a lot of time, they do have to cancel then rebook. Can’t just simple amend

onlysuites Oct 18, 2018 3:49 am

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 30324163)
For anyone that visited recently, did you have the Bentley airport transfer? If not, was it offered for a surcharge?

Has anyone stayed in a sea facing OVW (the ones facing outward at the end of the pontoon) that had a decently warm pool? I suspect they're all the same...I would prefer to be in one of those again for the view and privacy, but the pool was so cold!

I stayed in one a few months back. Really really cold. The one I had didn't get any sun at any point of the day.

rp88 Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Joker0874 (Post 30325740)
Stayed last year, I emailed the resort asking for the Bentley transfer. Told me they'll try their best but no guarantees. I came into MLE the night before and stayed near the airport. In the morning, I was driven back to the airport and the bentley was waiting for me there.

Do you have any status with them? I'm debating trying as well.

Joker0874 Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by rp88 (Post 30328636)
Do you have any status with them? I'm debating trying as well.

​​​​​​​I was SPG Gold at the time. Doesn't hurt to email them and it worked out for me when I did it.

onlysuites Oct 18, 2018 12:42 pm

I sent the hotel a polite email requesting the Bentley transfer and it was there the next morning. I too stayed overnight the day before.

captainamerica Oct 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Theres a ton of GV availability for the next few months now. Looks like most people who reserved ended up cancelling when they did the research on pricing. I have an 11 night stay in dec at the conrad maldives, and now just booked an overlapping 5 night stay at the St regis for the last 5 days. I'm debating if its worth to split my stay into 6 nights at the conrad and then 5 nights at the st regis. I dont have plat status so I would be stuck paying for breakfast everyday, plus an additional $1200 for the seaplane transfer. Is this place really that amazing to make it worth it? I want to take advantage of the 60k point offer but its also going to cost me ~$750 more for breakfast, $1200 for a 2nd seaplane transfer and another $1500 for upgrades to the OWV. Thoughts?

beastieb Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by captainamerica (Post 30333506)
Theres a ton of GV availability for the next few months now. Looks like most people who reserved ended up cancelling when they did the research on pricing. I have an 11 night stay in dec at the conrad maldives, and now just booked an overlapping 5 night stay at the St regis for the last 5 days. I'm debating if its worth to split my stay into 6 nights at the conrad and then 5 nights at the st regis. I dont have plat status so I would be stuck paying for breakfast everyday, plus an additional $1200 for the seaplane transfer. Is this place really that amazing to make it worth it? I want to take advantage of the 60k point offer but its also going to cost me ~$750 more for breakfast, $1200 for a 2nd seaplane transfer and another $1500 for upgrades to the OWV. Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't switch resorts in the Maldives. Especially into a garden villa. I have stayed in the OWV and while its beautiful, if I had a reservation set somewhere else with a beach view/ or over-water, with a free breakfast... I wouldn't pay all that extra. I guess if if the extra almost $4,000 is really a drop in the bucket for you maybe, but I think most people would find its not worth the additional spend if you are already set somewhere else.

larciel Oct 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Do you call resort to get owv upgrade from gv after making reservations? What's success rate?

guy_listening Oct 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by larciel (Post 30334147)
Do you call resort to get owv upgrade from gv after making reservations? What's success rate?

I just emailed the hotel with my reservation number then they are able to quote you the upgrade price. The process was very easy.

onlysuites Oct 20, 2018 4:21 am

Originally Posted by captainamerica (Post 30333506)

I know a lot of people will disagree but having stayed at the Conrad I really don't rate the St Regis that much higher. Yes its slightly better and a lot more expensive if you pay cash. Transferring between hotels will be a right pain for you though.

bgriff Oct 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by h8stn4d (Post 30309194)
If I had been able to book an over-water at the StR for 85K, it would be a tougher call for me. But I now have double-booked a GV at the StR @ 60K and an OWV at the W for 85K. For my first time to the Maldives, I can't imagine NOT being an OWV...and there's no way I'm paying the current premium to get from a 60K GV to an OWV. I too wonder why the StR commands such a price premium and would love to hear from those who have been to both.

I'm leaning heavily toward the W. For me, the reef matters. I expect to spend a lot of time in the water snorkeling and I don't plan to learn to dive. Having to pay $75/pp to take a boat from the StR every time I want decent snorkeling is a bit obnoxious and eliminates the spontaneity of jumping in the water. That said, I do have friends who have gone to the StR and though the snorkeling was excellent...so the W must be that much better.

Food is so outrageously expensive at either place (and even more so at the StR, especially now that they ditched the 10-20% off) that I'll feel ill paying for it regardless. It'd be great to get the StR breakfast, but it's not enough to put me over.

No question I'll bring the average age way up at the W, but oh well.

Just a question, how/when did you get the 85K points/night at the W for the OWV? Was that booked direct with reservations?

I was able to book and hold reservations at both the W and StR for January for 60K/night and fifth night free for the base room category at each property, but the agent quoted me no upgraded room availability on points at the W and only the 170K/night rate at the StR. I emailed each property and cash upgrades were quoted as $369/night (including taxes) for OWV at StR (or $493 for OWV Sunset or Beach Villa, or $739 for the St. Regis Suite), or $332 for OWV at the W. So at those rates, I would definitely go for 60K + $369 at the StR to get OVW rather than 170K points, but 85K for the OWV would still be a solid deal at the W if there's a way to get it.

As others have noted, the upgrade at the StR came with the terms that it had to be for all nights and the pay-up was due at time of booking and was nonrefundable. The W by contrast did not specify whether all nights had to be upgraded, but was clear that the upgrade charge would just be added to the room bill (and is therefore presumably cancelable if you cancel your booking).

FWIW, I had originally made bookings at each hotel last week and had to call (and took a couple of tries to find a decent agent who knew what they were doing -- first agent responded to my question about the W Maldives by asking what city and state it was in :rolleyes:), but ended up shifting my dates slightly and it turned out today I was able to both make new bookings at both properties and cancel one of my old bookings on the app, which is a pleasant improvement, especially since I decided to try it and see if it would work while I was waiting on a long hold, and managed to complete my changes before anyone picked up my call.

h8stn4d Oct 23, 2018 11:46 am

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 30344959)
Just a question, how/when did you get the 85K points/night at the W for the OWV? Was that booked direct with reservations?

My original booking was August 22, direct with reservations. At that time, you could not book online. We then booked a second room, same dates, on August 25, for friends. Also thru online reservations.

My impression is that the 85k/nt still lives at the W, so if on your dates you are able to see a Lagoon View OWV, you should be able to get it for 85k.

larciel Oct 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by guy_listening (Post 30334823)

I just emailed the hotel with my reservation number then they are able to quote you the upgrade price. The process was very easy.

thanks! and it was about $200/night?

bgriff Oct 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by h8stn4d (Post 30347328)
My original booking was August 22, direct with reservations. At that time, you could not book online. We then booked a second room, same dates, on August 25, for friends. Also thru online reservations.

My impression is that the 85k/nt still lives at the W, so if on your dates you are able to see a Lagoon View OWV, you should be able to get it for 85k.

Thanks, interesting, I'll have to try again. Both the Fabulous Overwater Oasis Suite and the Spectactular Lagoon Oasis show available for cash on my dates, though the one competent reservations agent I've managed to speak with so far specifically said he didn't see any upgraded rooms available on points at the W. (Oddly some pages of the site also don't seem to distinguish between those two room categories, so not clear what's going on there.)

84Horn Oct 23, 2018 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 30347975)
Thanks, interesting, I'll have to try again. Both the Fabulous Overwater Oasis Suite and the Spectactular Lagoon Oasis show available for cash on my dates, though the one competent reservations agent I've managed to speak with so far specifically said he didn't see any upgraded rooms available on points at the W. (Oddly some pages of the site also don't seem to distinguish between those two room categories, so not clear what's going on there.)

As an added data point for you, I booked a Spectacular Lagoon Oasis on August 31 for 85K per night. I called Marriott Platinum line and had to be transferred to a Starwood rep to be able to book it.