Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Macau & Ritz Carlton [Master Thread]

JW Marriott Macau & Ritz Carlton [Master Thread]

Old May 29, 2015, 6:53 am

Some more pics I found. Site in Chinese
http://www.hopetrip.com.hk/news/201505/233665.html
http://gotrip.hk/article/index.php?id=43198
Old May 31, 2015, 10:19 pm

Any review?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:41 am

Would anyone happen to know what floor the executive lounge of the JW Marriott Macau is on?

Also, where might I find pictures of the Retreat Pool Suite? There don't seem to be any on the website.

Edit: Executive Lounge is on the 2nd floor.

Last edited by sniles; Jun 2, 2015 at 9:07 pm
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
I had the opportunity to stay at both the JW and Ritz Carlton just prior to the official opening.

Here are some quick comments - it wouldn't be fair to comment on the service as it was the pre-opening, so i'll comment on the actual rooms and resort itself;

JW Marriott
- The is a large hotel (1000+ rooms) but it doesnt feel like it. The lobby is not some huge cavernous space, but rather quite intimate.
- The room is spacious and very well designed. I liked the photoelectric window between bedroom and bath.
- I had a look at the Retreat Pool and Whirlpool Suites - I believe they are very good value for what you get, whilst certainly not a lap pool, I wouldn't call them a plunge pool either.
- Internet connection was free and very fast (connected 5 devices)
- Amenities were Aromatherapy Associates Ylang Ylang.

Gallery : https://www.flickr.com/photos/133733.../shares/i75cuN

Ritz Carlton
- Check-in on the 50th floor with welcome drink of champagne
- All suite property, around 200+ suites.
- Suites are very similar in layout to the suites at the Galaxy Hotel, but the finishing and decor is very much "Ritz Carlton"
- Living room felt a bit bare - maybe the rooms weren't entirely finished yet, but felt like it needed a nice floral or art piece.
- Bed very comfortable.
- Full marble bathroom, with an excellent high pressure shower head which featured a rotating massage jet. The jaccuzi bath was also very "vigorous".
- Amenities were Asprey Purple Rain.
- Toilet lid has a motion sensor which would lift the seat cover whenever the door to the W.C. was opened.
- I would say these suites are probably the best entry level suites in Macau and certainly very good value for the price.

Gallery : https://www.flickr.com/photos/133733.../shares/NXm39X

The Resort
- The resort is amazing, the water park is a great addition, and something that is very unique to Galaxy.
- There is a big mall due to open with a lot of shopping if you're in to that.
- JW Marriott also features a kids club (peeked in and looked quite big)
- The gym felt quite small (shared between Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott)
- There is an Espa, but didn't see it.
- The dining options are great - there is Bomabna, Fook Lam Moon and Lai Heen from Hong Kong.
- Across the street was their sister hotel, Broadway Theatre which had a street full of restaurants and entertainment. Seemed very lively when we walked around.

Overall I think that the two new properties are very much worth the price they are charging. The place is brand new so certainly there were some service hiccups but overall the staff feel quite engaged and eager to please.

Happy to answer any questions!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update/comparisons to the two properties! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That would be my guess.

Look forward to getting trip reports.

Cheers.
Here's my first attempt at a TR....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-upgrade.html

Originally Posted by neuro0
This hotel was just opened 2 days ago. Wonder which FTer will be the first to stay? Any elite recongization? Want to know what gold will get in turn of upgrade. Thanks!
Very friendly recognition of status, no upgrade mentioned or offered though. Did get an upgrade at 5am...see the above TR for the reason
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report & pictures. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Thanks all for the review.. nice to see the interior of both properties.
My thoughts:
Ritz Carlton: Too bad, they could have done something more modern yet traditional. I like the service at RC's but really dislike the interior, its just so old school (I know this is their theme). Was really looking forward to a more modern interior, so rather dissapointed.

JW: Looks like another missed chance here on the interior. Very old school again in my opinion. Why did they not follow those like at the JW Marquis Dubai? Feel like another missed chance.
The offerings in the lounge looks great - clearly you can make a dinner out from it.
Scary - the incident you faced. I would have been totally scared .... if that happened especially in Asia (hearing too much stories of sort from Asia) since no idea over what former land was this hotel built.

Cheers!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Ritz-Carlton stay

I booked a package as it offered the best value IMHO. Upon arrival into the Macau Ferry terminal met exiting immigration by RC staff member holding gold iPad. Taken up one level to Galaxy Toyota passenger van. That is your first clue the owner has sway over everything being offered. Not Rolls at this property. Arriving at the RC which is the entry stop just before the JW greeted by number of staff members then taken up to 33 for check-in process. The Club lounge is on 53 but not all numbers are being used in the building. At the present time not all suites at the RC are in service. They have been open less than a month.

My suite is located center of the building with exceptional full on view of the Galaxy complex. It could not be any better. As stated prior the room is a mix of style. The entry and bathroom being classic and the living room and bedroom more modern. It would be considered a very fine residence. A number of amenity items were presented along with a welcome note from the GM.

The Hotel has been excellent laying out a plan to tour the limited sites in Macau. I was offered transportation both ways but often just caught a cab back. You can only get a cab at the stand. No hailing cabs off the street. On my own made my way around the huge Galaxy complex.

The highlight of the property would not be the general public spaces aka ground lobby but upper floors. The reception desks if you want to call them that as check-ins are processed in the suites is on 51 along with concierge. This is where the Ritz bar is also located along with the Chinese restaurant- Lai Heen. Take a look at the wall behind the concierge station and views from the public spaces on 51. This is also where you would get another lift to 53 aka the Club lounge.

Let's talk about- Lai Heen. Firstly this is the highest located Chinese restaurant in Macau. The restaurant was designed by a Japanese firm and great care along with style has gone into it. Macau, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese influences are evident. The design and detail will set you back. If possible view the private dining room located in the far back corner facing the Galaxy complex is exceptional in design. Not officially open yet it will be later this week. Trails with invited guests are being carried out.

A real treat and value is the Ritz Café located on one. It actually fronts the Galaxy Mall and has another entrance from the RC lobby. The Chef is from Lyon. Last night I tried the tasting menu. It was amazing. The Chef came out on half the presentations and explained the preparation. Lunch, tea and the tasting dinner menu are values. Very high quality. The staff was attentive. The tasting menu was part of my package!

One of the other additional wonders is the Club lounge. The Club lounge occupies the entire 53 floor. The Club has its own full kitchen and items are cooked to order. This was present at both breakfast and lunch today. Unique there is also a bar just for Club guests. A private bar. I did not see it staffed but it was set up. Take a look at the primary dining room for the Club. Check out the marble and wall panels. Beautiful. Now bring yourself out of this area into the living rooms. Yes, plural. There are private meeting room that when not is use are one of three living room spaces. Very comfortable and spread out.

That's it for now. More maybe after dinner!

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Jun 15, 2015 at 1:05 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Well. My wifi has been dropped four times now so I will do this report when I am in a more stable environment. Sorry for delay.
Can't wait!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I'm looking at a 2 night midweek stay in Macau. Considering booking the entry level room at either the JW Marriott, Grand Hyatt or Wynn since they're all going for around $250/night.

I know Wynn is in a more central location but the rooms look awfully worn for a 8 year old hotel. The Encore in Vegas has great standard rooms (and even better tower suites) but the Wynn Macau standard rooms seem much more of a conventional meh color scheme and room layout.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt last year when I was diamond and it was a great stay. Unfortunately I'm only Platinum this year though luckily the entry level rooms here are the 64sqm grand suite King so room should be very nice, just no lounge access.

JW Macau: I am still Marriott Platinum this year so I will receive lounge access. The lack of platinum upgrades for other Plats is a bit disheartening. (Op-Ups due to catastrophic room hardware failure in a sold out state doesn't count!)

Is the JW Macau worth booking over the Wynn and Hyatt cost being equal?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I would assume the JW is like the RC where not all rooms are available. Think the RC opened with around 50% of rooms ready. Also. Conrad pricing was very aggressive.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I've never been to Macau, and am thinking about taking my wife. Does Macau have beaches if so do either of these properties have beach access?

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:03 am

The Galaxy complex which includes JW and RC has its own man made wave pool with sand and a lazy river like Paradise Island in NAS. Looked fun. I'm not sure of any natural beaches but I would not be inclined to wade into any ocean in the area.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:13 pm

The Grand Coloane Beach Resort (previously Westin) is situated right by the black sand beach. Only "Beach Resort" I can think of in Macau.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.