FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168325-westin-grand-berlin-germany-2008-master-thread.html)

rrgg Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm

I had a good 5-night stay last week. My advice is to request a garden room with a queen bed.

Based on what I read here, I purposely requested a garden room and did not bother with an upgrade, so I'd have little chance of facing the street where people complained about noise. I didn't hear a peep the whole time and slept late 3 of 5 nights. My 5th floor room was toward the Stadtmitte side. I chose a queen because they are described as "heavenly bed" on the website, but the kings are not noted that way.

The main thing I didn't like, as others said, is that the room lighting is a little dim. One minor complaint is that serious finance and news channels were the only English TV. The heated floors in the bathroom are a nice touch, and the city was pretty cold all week.

Yes, Berlin has an incredible amount of construction going on, but I had a great visit. Also, despite the construction you can still use the subway entrance right outside the Westin. The catch is that line only travels south today, which may be OK depending on where you're going. Otherwise, walk north to the Friedrichstrasse S-Bahn station for other lines.

ethang801 May 9, 2013 8:19 pm

Staying at the Westin Grand Berlin and have an 8.30 am flight. What are my options for getting to the airport from the hotel?

remymartin May 9, 2013 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by ethang801 (Post 20726356)
Staying at the Westin Grand Berlin and have an 8.30 am flight. What are my options for getting to the airport from the hotel?

An airconditioned Eclass Mercedes taxi will set you back 17...21 euros. Best bet.

Flying Lawyer May 9, 2013 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin (Post 20726774)
An airconditioned Eclass Mercedes taxi will set you back 17...21 euros. Best bet.

And the TXL Bus departing not far from the hotel does the same trick for around 2 euro. Discussed umpteen times....

rrgg May 10, 2013 6:51 am

You can pick up that bus if you walk to the opposite side of Unter den Linden. The stop is to the left.

LH738 May 10, 2013 11:21 am

You can also check on moovel app ( www.moovel.com ) for various possibilities (e.g. Public transport, cab, car2go) to move between two places in Berlin.

TallestHotelInJapan May 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ethang801 (Post 20726356)

Take the public transport. It's painless, good priced and easy!

Here is the time table. Enter from "Westin Berlin" to "Tegel Airport" and the date!

PhoenixCMC Jun 3, 2013 3:52 pm

Good location but not up to Westin standards

I am just completing the second of two stays. The hotel is very nice and the location is great. But the service was not equal to the property. The first stay was 5 nights and I was told the they could not upgrade me to a suite because they did not have one available for the full time. That's fine, but I checked in again tonight for one night, and did not get upgraded to a suite again and was told none were available. . . But I checked on the web site at 10 PM and there were multiple suites available for sale. Not only that, but when I requested a garden view room (after being told - erroneously - that there were no suites) I was told that would be €60 extra. I had to complain just to get the nicer room at no extra charge.

Not only that, when I chose the continental breakfast for the initial stay, the front desk told me it included everything but eggs and the other hot/premium items, and that was fine. But when my wife and I got to the breakfast room, the desk attendant told us it only included coffee, juice, toast and marmalade in a very cut manner, which - if true - is not up to normal Westin standards that we have received at other Westin properties (including the very lovely Westin in Dresden).

There were other items of lesser importance, but still annoying. (1) When we got the marginally nicer room tonight, there was a welcome fruit selection in the room (with someone else's name on it) . . . we have often gotten this at other Starwood properties from Sheratons to Luxury Collections (including other Westins) but we didn't get it here for any night of our 5-night stay. (2) We received small chocolates with the turndown service the first two nights, but not the other four. (3) The front desk staff was very uneven . . . a few people were nice and helpful, but others gave us the impression that they were unhappy about having to answer questions or do ANYTHING beyond the minimal service of checking us in.

I would recommend this property for its location, but definitely not for the quality of its service.

pantanal Oct 11, 2013 2:24 am

Staying at the Westin right now. Anyone who likes to use the Ubahn(U6) outside the hotel (the closer one) should avoid the hotel for a few months.

The Französische Straße line (going north) is under construction for the next few months. This is the one outside the hotel so you need to walk to the next one if you are going north. Going south the line still works going towards stadmitte

As a platinum upgraded to the superior garden facing rooms. You are better off with these
rooms rather than a junior suite facing the street where a ton of construction is going on

Breakfast still as good as usual..my rate actually had full breakfast included so did not have to deal with the 14 Euro upcharge for platinum from the continental

Pitero Nov 20, 2013 9:56 am

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC (Post 20860074)
(2) We received small chocolates with the turndown service the first two nights, but not the other four.

Just completed a stay. Upgraded to a Junior Suite, facing the garden. No construction noise disturbance at all, nice room with a coffee pad machine (including four free coffee pads) and large selection of tv channels.

Same experience with the turndown-chocolates, sometimes they were there, sometimes they unfortunately weren't. And it's true that during past stays they often treated me with a welcome selection of small fruits or sweets... not this time.

Usually I don't care, but the mattress was for my taste very (too) soft.

Not sure if it had been mentioned here before, but the public parking deck that was located almost across the hotel is gone. They offer valet parking for 28 Euros per night, but I guess one can find public parking garages not too far from the hotel.

BayAreaTraveler Dec 5, 2013 4:32 pm

Was at the Westin Grand Berlin this past Sunday. Being gold, we were upgraded to a garden deluxe room (from a deluxe room w/city view). I didn't hear any construction noise in the room, but as others have mentioned already, there is construction going on along Friedrichstraße. Also, for those visiting the Berlin Wall Memorial, the S-bahn line going southbound will terminate at Nordbahnhof. As you leave the station, you will have to board a bus or walk further down to the U-bahn Naturkundemuseum station. There also seems to be construction along Invalidenstraße so you may easily miss the station.

In general, the hotel was not bad at all though I didn't have a chance to use much of the facilities as I was out and about. It is also very close to the TXL Express bus line. And yes, please do take the TXL Express bus. It's very convenient and will save you money. I'm definitely an Ausländer and Berliners don't bite. :)

3rdworldresident Jan 24, 2014 5:12 am

Any recent stay reports here?

thanks in advance.

Kelju Jan 27, 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 22213140)
Any recent stay reports here?

thanks in advance.

Just got back home from there after 3 nights stay. Checked in quite early at the morning and was told that my (preupgraded) jr. suite was not ready and was accommodated by another plat member so it could take a while before it could be used and it was the only one available. Then asked for themed suite, but was told to pay extra for that. After that FD manager entered the discussion and found available jr.suite room for us on 2 floor.

The room was one of those windowless bedroom jr suites facing garden, but was good enough, thought the mattress made me sweat all night.

Otherwise friendly staff once again and had no problems with anything. The U-bahn connection to the Friedrichstrasse station is back on, but the construction on Unter der Linden continues as usual.

remymartin Jan 27, 2014 11:12 am

How was the breakfast option? Is it still continental + 14€ buyup for full breakfast?

I find the garden rooms that come with balconies the most charming. I've also had a junior suite on Friedrichstrasse, which was nice enough. That dark windowless suite is weird.

Kelju Jan 29, 2014 11:34 am

Originally Posted by remymartin (Post 22232357)
How was the breakfast option? Is it still continental + 14€ buyup for full breakfast?

I find the garden rooms that come with balconies the most charming. I've also had a junior suite on Friedrichstrasse, which was nice enough. That dark windowless suite is weird.

Yep, i have to admit that the room lacked a glamour that i've also experienced in the same category rooms in this property. Breakfast remains the same. Free continental or +14€ to full buffet bf. However during 3 times i went there, nobody said a thing to me that what is included and what's not in the continental bf and i didn't bother to ask. ;) Food quality seems to be as high as before and nice 'sekt' also as an option.