Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Old Jul 3, 21, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The Westin has the better location for restaurants/shopping, but the Marriott has the much nicer and larger rooms.
Old Jul 3, 21, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
The Westin has the better location for restaurants/shopping, but the Marriott has the much nicer and larger rooms.
The Westin is almost 20 years older than the Marriott (1987 vs 2004), and was built by the Communist GDR regime, as the Grand Hotel.

Even though the East Germans built it as a luxury hotel to attract foreign tourists (it accepted only Western hard currency, so it was effectively closed to GDR residents), and the construction itself was run by Japanese and Swedish firms, in the end it was designed by the East German state and built by and for a government for which luxury and even Western comfort in accommodations were alien concepts.

No matter how the current owners renovate it, they're going to be stuck with the basic structure.

Also, hotel rooms were simply smaller in general years ago, no matter where in the world.

I haven't been in the rooms, but I walked through the lobby a couple of times when I was there in 2001. It seemed designed to impress, like most Eastern Bloc buildings.
est-gratuite likes this.

Last edited by James Luckard; Jul 3, 21 at 6:22 pm
Old Jul 4, 21, 11:36 am

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Thanks to all of you for your insights and perspectives.

John H
Old Jul 4, 21, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA-PP, Marriott(T)
I've stayed at the Westin for business purposes. It's closer to the Friedrichstrasse train station which has a grocery and good connections for getting around town. The Westin is also closer to other bus/train lines that connect with the city. If you end up at the Westin, ask for a Garden room. They are a part of the annex and are updated rooms that are larger, quieter, etc. A little hike down two hallways but OK. Breakfast is in a big hall with a bunch of people.
The Marriott is preferable in many ways in terms of the building (not location in my opinion) but I've had little luck with upgrades and the staff has not been friendly despite the many stays I've had there.
Old Jul 4, 21, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Westin has the better location for restaurants/shopping
Yes, most people will prefer the Westin's Mitte location over Potsdamer Platz, where Marriott is located. The best you can say about Potsdamer Platz is that it's relatively central and it's close to the Tiergarten and Philharmonie. It's otherwise pretty awful, in terms of both aesthetics and proliferation of fast food outlets.
Old Jan 8, 22, 2:55 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, LC Sterling, HH Gld, ALL Gld, WoH Disc, Bonvoy, LH M&M FT
You could also consider to stay at Hotel Luc, Autograph Collection, opening soon, 300m from Westin.

Former Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt, fully renovated.

Hotel Luc
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 22, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by submonte View Post
You could also consider to stay at Hotel Luc, Autograph Collection, opening soon, 300m from Westin.

Hotel Luc
A fantastic location. Stayed here when it was the Sofitel, with a great view of Gendarmenmarkt.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 22, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by submonte View Post

Hotel Luc
I hope they made the rooms larger. As a Sofitel it was pretty dreadful. Aigner, the restaurant in the hotel, is fantastic.

Search this Thread