FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   AC Hotel Chicago Downtown [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1683050-ac-hotel-chicago-downtown-master-thread.html)

SkiAdcock May 27, 2015 8:58 am

AC Hotel Chicago Downtown [Master Thread]

Opens May 29th. Category 7.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/05/ac-...he-public.html

"The AC Hotel Chicago Downtown, owned and managed by Marcus® Hotels & Resorts, will open its doors to guests in the heart of Chicago’s thriving River North neighborhood on May 29. Located on the corner of Rush and Ontario, the AC Hotels by Marriott brand’s first property in Illinois, is part of a new breed of lifestyle hotels targeting millennial and business travelers."

Look forward to a trip report.

Cheers.

CMK10 May 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Walked by it a couple of weeks ago, it's in a great location for sure. You're near the CTA (Red Line is closest), some great restaurants, The Loop and pretty much all the touristy spots. I also look forward to a TR ^

SkiAdcock May 29, 2015 7:27 pm

It better be GREAT (not likely) to justify cat 7 redemption or high hotel rates. Otherwise I'd choose other options.

Cheers

Horace May 29, 2015 9:05 pm

The AC Hotel Chicago Downtown (which was formerly a Four Points by Sheraton property) has a great location.

Traders Joe's Market is on the ground floor.

The choice of restaurants in the neighborhood is vast. Eataly, the amazing 63,000-sq-ft Italian market and restaurant complex, is just a block to the south (in the former ESPN Zone building).

Richard H Driehaus Museum is a block to north. The Magnificent Mile is block to the east. The Loop and Navy Pier are in walking distance.

At a time when more and more ordinary Courtyard properties are category 6 and 7, the AC Hotel Chicago Downtown at category 7 doesn't seem so bad.

SkiAdcock May 30, 2015 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 24890194)

At a time when more and more ordinary Courtyard properties are category 6 and 7, the AC Hotel Chicago Downtown at category 7 doesn't seem so bad.

Well that's true. Forgot CYs were creeping up in cats too.

Cheers.

rasheed Oct 4, 2015 11:43 pm

Remember that the AC chain is like CY, no free breakfast even though they have a pretty significant for sale breakfast offering (15 per person).

Based on the category and comparable price to FS, down the block, as an elite, I would skip the AC in Chicago.

Rasheed

SkiAdcock Oct 5, 2015 6:31 am

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 25518758)
Remember that the AC chain is like CY, no free breakfast even though they have a pretty significant for sale breakfast offering (15 per person).

Based on the category and comparable price to FS, down the block, as an elite, I would skip the AC in Chicago.

Rasheed

Unless it's a weekend & you're talking the Marriott Mag Mile, which has its exec lounge closed & no breakfast offering - just 1,000 points. Then it could be a toss-up (and my guess is the AC rooms are nicer than the old, tired FS ones). If you're talking another FS, then perhaps. And if someone is not a breakfast person, then no free brekkie might not matter as much to them.

Still looking forward to the first trip report.

Cheers.

dank0014 Oct 5, 2015 7:37 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 25519587)
Unless it's a weekend & you're talking the Marriott Mag Mile, which has its exec lounge closed & no breakfast offering - just 1,000 points. Then it could be a toss-up (and my guess is the AC rooms are nicer than the old, tired FS ones). If you're talking another FS, then perhaps. And if someone is not a breakfast person, then no free brekkie might not matter as much to them.

Still looking forward to the first trip report.

Cheers.

The FS is renovating their rooms though and they do look nice. They will begin lobby renovations in the next 2-3 months too

mb1136 Oct 5, 2015 8:17 am

AC Chicago Downtown

I stayed at this hotel for two nights about a week ago. The location is great- lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. The room has a modern design- like the wood floor as it just feels a bit cleaner to me than the carpet that's been walked on by everyone else. Robe and slippers were a nice touch, although I did not like the fact that they give you a plastic package with 3 tissues in it instead of a box like most other hotels. The only option for breakfast is the buffet ($15 per person), which is a European style breakfast. It included coffee/tea, juice, bread and croissants, some cold cuts and cheeses, cereal, fruit and what they were calling an egg tart (basically like a quiche)- one with meat and one without. There is a bar and lounge area that serves small plates for dinner but I did not check those out.

SkiAdcock Oct 5, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks for the trip report! Much appreciated!

Cheers.

alextktan Dec 19, 2015 2:05 pm

It wasn't clear based on earlier discussions. So, I am going to ask: Is there an executive lounge in this property? Thanks!

alextktan

apodo77 Dec 20, 2015 2:32 am

Originally Posted by alextktan (Post 25889493)
It wasn't clear based on earlier discussions. So, I am going to ask: Is there an executive lounge in this property? Thanks!

alextktan

No lounge that I recalled at this property or any other AC property that I have stayed at.

C17PSGR Dec 21, 2015 10:50 pm

I stayed there a few weeks ago and was interested in checking out the AC brand. I didn't realize it was more of a Fairfield Inn level. The staff was poorly trained and I really had to keep pushing for an upgrade as a PP, and they seemed unaware of any elite levels or upgrades. They said there was a lounge with free tapas for elites when I asked but when I went to the bar area, they said everything was with a charge (and the bar was really empty). The rooms were poorly designed, albeit with a Euro flair.

Interesting concept, questionable design, extremely poor execution. One of my few poor Marriott experiences out of my 200 nights this year.

KRS Aug 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Any recent experiences at this property?

Heading to Chicago in October and got good BRG/LNF rates at this property as well as at The Tremont; wondering which one to keep...

LPCJr Aug 15, 2017 5:28 am

Originally Posted by KRS (Post 28691306)
Any recent experiences at this property?

Heading to Chicago in October and got good BRG/LNF rates at this property as well as at The Tremont; wondering which one to keep...

Stayed there last fall, as (at the time) a Gold I was given an upgrade to a larger room. Room was nice, staff was friendly. I would choose this over a CY at same price point.

If I could get into a full service and get free breakfast/lounge for a similar price I would probably go that route.

I have not stayed at the Tremont but have not heard good things about it.