Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
I’ve stayed at both ... with same statuses noted as above.
I would take Westin all day. Ritz is a beautiful hotel but not on the beach. To me, it’s that simple ... if you want to walk out the lobby door and have feet in the sand go Westin.

If yiu want a nice hotel hotel and service and don’t mind a stroll around the property and over the street walkway to ultimately end up on the same beach ... ritz.

I have kids. I didn’t want to walk. If it was only a couple trip, I might have considered the ritz.

But if a strnagers opinion matters. ... Westin is a gorgeous property beachfront. I went that path.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AustinFlyer76
If yiu want a nice hotel hotel and service and don’t mind a stroll around the property and over the street walkway to ultimately end up on the same beach ... ritz
This is a good point. The base "award" rooms for RC will be on the other side of the hotel requiring a little extra walking which for the little ones could be more of an issue. It would be interesting to know if Plat/Titanium/Ambassador levels now include upgrades to at least the beach side of the hotel.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by AustinFlyer76
I’ve stayed at both ... with same statuses noted as above.
I would take Westin all day. Ritz is a beautiful hotel but not on the beach. To me, it’s that simple ... if you want to walk out the lobby door and have feet in the sand go Westin.

If yiu want a nice hotel hotel and service and don’t mind a stroll around the property and over the street walkway to ultimately end up on the same beach ... ritz.

I have kids. I didn’t want to walk. If it was only a couple trip, I might have considered the ritz.

But if a strnagers opinion matters. ... Westin is a gorgeous property beachfront. I went that path.
What status did you have again?

Would the beach be the same if you had been upgrade to the ocean tower at Ritz?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
For what it’s worth, the free breakfast at the Westin is incredible. Especially if you use your credit to buy up to the full buffet. If you time it right, you won’t need to eat lunch.

Another consideration is the lovely resort fee. Are they both similar??

Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by jb3t
For what it’s worth, the free breakfast at the Westin is incredible. Especially if you use your credit to buy up to the full buffet. If you time it right, you won’t need to eat lunch.

Another consideration is the lovely resort fee. Are they both similar??

Yes, they are both the same
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Also trying to decide between both properties. Don't want to end up in island/parking lot view at Westin, and also worried about crowds at the pool. Is it a fight to get a spot by the pool, and is it over-run with kids? Definitely looking to relax.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by svo242
Also trying to decide between both properties. Don't want to end up in island/parking lot view at Westin, and also worried about crowds at the pool. Is it a fight to get a spot by the pool, and is it over-run with kids? Definitely looking to relax.
I cant imagine staying at the Ritz over the Westin but it might fit you more. Plenty of kids at the Westin and pool area fills up fast though we always found a spot. We had the island view the first time we went but didn't mind as we spend so little time in the room
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by MNHunter
I cant imagine staying at the Ritz over the Westin but it might fit you more. Plenty of kids at the Westin and pool area fills up fast though we always found a spot. We had the island view the first time we went but didn't mind as we spend so little time in the room
Thanks for the info! Just curious, why do you say you can't imagine staying at the Ritz over the Westin?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Does anybody know what benefits us lowly golds get, if any at this hotel? We have a points reserve coming up and was curious
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: United, Starwood
Does anyone know how much it costs to rent the cabanas at this hotel? And how far in advance do you need to book them? If you have any experience with the cabanas, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by askias
Does anyone know how much it costs to rent the cabanas at this hotel? And how far in advance do you need to book them? If you have any experience with the cabanas, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
Not sure when to book them, but I did get some pricing! See below for pricing as of Jan 2019:

Premium Cabanas - $225.00 CID* (+ 16% service charge)

White cloth canopy and four curtains on a metal structure, elevated platform atop the sand, four beach chairs with padded cushions. Premium Cabana capacity – 6 people maximum.

Luxury Cabanas - $300.00 CID* (+ 16% service charge)

Covered wooden structure with four curtains, elevated platform atop the sand, one bed or hammock, two beach chairs and a mini fridge. Luxury Cabana capacity – 6 people maximum.

Double Decker Cabana - $350.00 CID* (+ 16% service charge)

Two-story wooden structure, featuring daybed and two chairs on ground floor, two lounge chairs and umbrella on top floor. Luxury Deluxe Cabana capacity – 6 people maximum.

Upgrade Package – “Fun in the Sun” $65.00 CID*

Choice of a bucket of 5 local beers OR bottle of house red or white wine, battery-powered fan, Westin-branded beer koozies, 4 bottles of Fiji water, welcome smoothies.

Upgrade Package – “The Foodie in You” $100.00 CID*

Choice of a bucket of 5 local beers, bottle of house red, white or sparkling wine, battery-powered fan, carafe of fresh lemonade, 4 ice cream cups/bars Westin-branded beer coozies, 4 bottles of Fiji water, super food amenity plate.

Upgrade Package – “Night Cabana (6pm-9pm)” $100.00 CID*

1 bottle of prosecco, battery-powered fan, 4 bottles of Fiji water, and option to add dinner experience.

Upgrade Package – “Luxury Package” $300.00 CID*

Choice of a bucket of 5 local beers, bottle of house red, white or sparkling wine, battery-powered fan, Westin-branded beer coozies, 4 bottles of Fiji water, choice of super food amenity plate or 6 chocolate strawberries, one 25 minute back and shoulder massage, branded sunscreen, 1 Hibiscus SPA beach bag, 2 Hibiscus SPA towels.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:25 am

What are the chances of an upgrade at the Westin? (Titanium) Anyone ever have luck using a SNA here?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott-Titanium, Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by dblue
What are the chances of an upgrade at the Westin? (Titanium) Anyone ever have luck using a SNA here?
They pre-upgraded me to Ocean-Pool from Island View on points reservation during this 4th of July week as Titanium. SNA cleared into Beachfront Lanai the day before arrival.

Arrival said it was a mistake, moved back to Ocean-Pool and refunded the SNA. Ended up with an amazing private balcony room at an angle next to Governor's mansion with a partial ocean view.

Eat across the street, it's amazingly good. Enjoyed every minute of the trip.
avatexrs, svo242 and dblue like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:25 pm

Stayed here for one night and can't say I'd return. Titanium benefits were good: two full buffet breakfasts, two drink coupons, and nice upgrade. We booked an ocean view room and were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite (crappy view of a tent but worth it for the extra space, including two full baths and two balconies). We did request the upgrade in advance and it was granted due to it being such a quick stay, having availability, and the titanium status. While the extra space was nice, the room decor is relatively basic, and when you look in closely, you can see that the hotel is just very old and the finishes are pretty cheap. Furniture on the balcony (only on one, other balcony was empty) was dirty and showed wear-and-tear. The rest of the room was mostly clean other than some stains on the table in the living room. Breakfast was good, nothing outstanding. Service was extremely underwhelming everywhere, particularly at the pool. No one to refresh pool seat covers, not a ton of servers around, etc. On our first day, when we arrived in the afternoon, it was hard to find a pool chair and the staff gave us a hard time to give us a new seat cover as "they usually start picking them up around 4". In the morning, the majority of the pool chairs were wet due to them power washing the pool deck around 8-9am. Cushions on the chair were also thin and not very comfortable. The pool itself has a very rough surface that was not comfortable to stand in, and it was pretty dirty...there was even a trash bag floating around in the morning. Resort felt crowded even though it wasn't full, I'm sure in part due to the hotel sharing all of its amenities with the Sunshine Suites across the street. Hot tubs were also packed with people.

Hotel also clearly caters to events and conferences. Our room looked out to a catering tent where we watched them eating breakfast, and the lobby was extremely loud and crowded in the evening due to a company happy hour. I saw that on the next night, that group took over the entire pool area for a dance party. Not what you want to experience when you're paying close to $1,000 a night.

I will say that the Beach House may have been our best dinner (food-wise) on the island. Service was underwhelming, to say the least, and the restaurant was nearly empty, but the beef tenderloin dinner was outstanding.

Overall, simply not worth the price tag. I realize it's not a luxury hotel, but for the rates, I expect better service and a nicer hard product. I think the difference in the cash rate or in points is well worth it to stay at the Ritz.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by svo242
Stayed here for one night and can't say I'd return. Titanium benefits were good: two full buffet breakfasts, two drink coupons, and nice upgrade. We booked an ocean view room and were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite (crappy view of a tent but worth it for the extra space, including two full baths and two balconies). We did request the upgrade in advance and it was granted due to it being such a quick stay, having availability, and the titanium status. While the extra space was nice, the room decor is relatively basic, and when you look in closely, you can see that the hotel is just very old and the finishes are pretty cheap. Furniture on the balcony (only on one, other balcony was empty) was dirty and showed wear-and-tear. The rest of the room was mostly clean other than some stains on the table in the living room. Breakfast was good, nothing outstanding. Service was extremely underwhelming everywhere, particularly at the pool. No one to refresh pool seat covers, not a ton of servers around, etc. On our first day, when we arrived in the afternoon, it was hard to find a pool chair and the staff gave us a hard time to give us a new seat cover as "they usually start picking them up around 4". In the morning, the majority of the pool chairs were wet due to them power washing the pool deck around 8-9am. Cushions on the chair were also thin and not very comfortable. The pool itself has a very rough surface that was not comfortable to stand in, and it was pretty dirty...there was even a trash bag floating around in the morning. Resort felt crowded even though it wasn't full, I'm sure in part due to the hotel sharing all of its amenities with the Sunshine Suites across the street. Hot tubs were also packed with people.

Hotel also clearly caters to events and conferences. Our room looked out to a catering tent where we watched them eating breakfast, and the lobby was extremely loud and crowded in the evening due to a company happy hour. I saw that on the next night, that group took over the entire pool area for a dance party. Not what you want to experience when you're paying close to $1,000 a night.

I will say that the Beach House may have been our best dinner (food-wise) on the island. Service was underwhelming, to say the least, and the restaurant was nearly empty, but the beef tenderloin dinner was outstanding.

Overall, simply not worth the price tag. I realize it's not a luxury hotel, but for the rates, I expect better service and a nicer hard product. I think the difference in the cash rate or in points is well worth it to stay at the Ritz.
This is somewhat disappointing to hear as I plan out the family reunion for November.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.