Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by jb3t
Dude.... BOOK IT AND DONT LOOK BACK! I was there in December and loved it. I just booked another 5 nights on points for November and may book another 5 for April for the hell of it.

Yea the resort fee is steep but there is some value there with free yoga and paddle boarding in the AM. The plat breakfast is awesome too. I think for $7 you can buy up to the full buffet, which is incredible.

One word if advice... at all restaurants, they include gratuity on the bill. It took me 3 nights to realize I was tipping like 40% on my meals. Hahah

I'm not quite plat is there any advantage to being gold?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by jb3t
Dude.... BOOK IT AND DONT LOOK BACK! I was there in December and loved it. I just booked another 5 nights on points for November and may book another 5 for April for the hell of it.
Yea the resort fee is steep but there is some value there with free yoga and paddle boarding in the AM. The plat breakfast is awesome too. I think for $7 you can buy up to the full buffet, which is incredible.
One word if advice... at all restaurants, they include gratuity on the bill. It took me 3 nights to realize I was tipping like 40% on my meals. Hahah

My experience was quite different - I actually didn't like the resort at all - too crowded, fees that were to cover towels, etc. useless as towel people just stood around never offering to help, etc. For me it was a highly overpriced, crowded, experience with few redeeming features. YMMV
(Went as a lifetime plat and had to get cust service involved to get them to pay attention to the then required "alternative amenity" for plats when charging the (IMO outrageous resort fee), concierge was unhelpful, etc.)
miadukes likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by miadukes
So I am thinking of doing a 4 night stay here in April, wanted to take advantage of my SPG points and I transferred a good chunk of my Marriott points over to SPG to be able to book a 4 night stay here before the price jumps. Mainly thinking for a couple days of scuba diving since i see there is an outfit right at the resort. I am going to start reading thru this thread but have read the last couple pages. It seems like this is a good deal at 12k points, the nights I am looking at are $700 a piece (yikes!!) Are there other deals on the island that might be better. Hadn't even considered traveling to GC until the whole points program merging and this came out as one of the hotels to book before the rise in points. advise, thoughts, etc.... just wanted to get an opinion from people who might have been there. Worth it?
short answer on other deals on the Island---NO
The Westin pts/resort fee will by far be the best bang for your buck on GC
JMHO
miadukes likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:19 am

This resort is one of my favorites despite the high fee. Rooms have ben completely refurbished and it sits on a world class beach. GC is expensive in general but well worth every penny to me. The hotel at a cat 5 with 5th night free is a complete steal and everyone considering this place should book before it goes up. Places like this make me sad to see the SPG program destroyed by Marriott.
miadukes likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:24 am

What is the cheapest way to upgrade to a suite at this property as a Marriott platinum elite? We booked a partial ocean view with points prior to the merger. Travelling with our 2 kids next march and could really use extra space. Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:37 pm

If I book an Island view King with Gold status, will I only be upgrade to a partial ocean view? Island view is all you can book using points.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by departingBOS
If I book an Island view King with Gold status, will I only be upgrade to a partial ocean view? Island view is all you can book using points.
I stayed at the hotel last a year ago last November as a gold and was upgraded from Island to Partial Ocean view.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by departingBOS
I wouldn't bank on an upgrade, a lot will depend on how full the resort is and if there are Plats and such. Stayed twice as a Gold and first year no upgrade. Second year I did get one but I emailed the hotel in advance requesting a better view.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by estnet
My experience was quite different - I actually didn't like the resort at all - too crowded, fees that were to cover towels, etc. useless as towel people just stood around never offering to help, etc. For me it was a highly overpriced, crowded, experience with few redeeming features. YMMV
(Went as a lifetime plat and had to get cust service involved to get them to pay attention to the then required "alternative amenity" for plats when charging the (IMO outrageous resort fee), concierge was unhelpful, etc.)
What was the "alternative amenity" for this property?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
What was the "alternative amenity" for this property?
It was a few years ago so I'm not sure I remember but I think it was on the order of $10 food credit/day (when fee was $45 for no value that I wouldn't get with status). Nothing like a benefit that would weigh evenly with the new cost - but as I said this was after a massive effort (they kept denying anything was necessary) and I'm sure that things are different now - esp post merger.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:40 pm

We stayed there In July on points, 5th night free. We are not usually beach people but GC and this resort were great. Nice beach, great snorkeling just in front of the adjacent Governer's House. Good restaurants on the property and even better nearby. The resort fee is steep, but heck, GC is expensive all around. We had a very nice room. Yes, it's crowded (or busy) but not unreasonably so given the size of the property.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:12 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I’m booked on points mid mid-December and have requested SNAs to be used. I’m Platinum Premiere. What’s the likelihood of the SNAs working — or would I have been better off saving them for another property if I would have been automatically upgraded anyways?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:31 am

What’s going on with the availability at this hotel? It looks like rooms disappeared over night. It also says this hotel is not accepting points reservations. Are they waiting to reopen availability until the new year?

i have an existing reservation on points and was checking the availability of rooms regularly to see if there was a chance of an upgrade at checkin for a plat.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:55 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe that right now the way the online tool tells you that the hotel has run out of award rooms for a particular date is "the hotel is not accepting points reservations". But if you try other dates that do still have award room inventory, you will see that they do still take awards.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:35 am

I just got back from the hotel on a points stay the first week of December. I booked the stay before the points increase, so it was only 12k SPG points per night (60k for 6 nights), and it only allowed booking an island view room. Turns out that was an eastern view of the parking lot. Hotel showed completely full the first night, so no upgrade was available and was told the "Gold/Diamond Ambassador" would contact the next day about a possible upgrade for the remainder of the stay. Heard nothing by noon the next day, so I stopped by the front desk and was told the Ambassador was out. Stopped back a couple of hours later, and the front desk clerk was very helpful in showing me three rooms that were available for the remainder of my stay - they were all first floor beach-facing rooms. Not much of a view, but extremely convenient to just walk out directly to the pool/beach. FWIW, I'm just a lowly Gold, but I'm not sure that made much difference. Had a great stay with perfect weather. Available to answer any questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.