Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:01 am

Lots of reasons not to like this property & its management but blaming them for getting into a bar fight isn't one of them.

Cheers,
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
We should also have a master thread about not jumping on OPs who come to the forum to share unpleasant experiences with strings of aggressive and interrogatory demands too. @:-)
I think that the comments and questions are entirely reasonable. I asked for additional information; Plumber expressed sympathy/empathy, but disagreed politely, KenJohn said that he was confused and politely requested more information, etc. I just don't see where the OP was jumped on. What do you see that I don't, Oxon Flyer?
KENNECTED, Flews and Plumber like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this event unfolded at lobby bar, there must have been some other guests around. I wonder what compensation those guests are entitled to? Witnessing an event as described can surely ruin one's vacation.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TerryK
As this event unfolded at lobby bar, there must have been some other guests around. I wonder what compensation those guests are entitled to? Witnessing an event as described can surely ruin one's vacation.
This is exactly why I said this is a one sided post and I wish the hotel security video was available to us.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
To answer your comment:
1. I was sucker punched. No retaliation, I walked away
2. I asked for the security tapes. None available as the renovations to the lobby were not finished.
3. Other guests at the bar offered to testify on my behalf.
4. "Gentleman" was held in jail for 8 days before being deported.
5. No security. Only 2 valet by lobby door.
6. How do you explain "I don't care"? That was my impression.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by 122554
To answer your comment:
1. I was sucker punched. No retaliation, I walked away
2. I asked for the security tapes. None available as the renovations to the lobby were not finished.
3. Other guests at the bar offered to testify on my behalf.
4. "Gentleman" was held in jail for 8 days before being deported.
5. No security. Only 2 valet by lobby door.
6. How do you explain "I don't care"? That was my impression.
I think him being held in jail for 8 days is punishment enough for him
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by extremeromance
I think him being held in jail for 8 days is punishment enough for him
Which actually has NO bearing on the hotel's (lack of) response
sapman986 and KENNECTED like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Hi - I am currently at the Westin Grand Cayman. Anyone got tips on local places to grab lunch and dinner? We are on the casual side. Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t
Hi - I am currently at the Westin Grand Cayman. Anyone got tips on local places to grab lunch and dinner? We are on the casual side. Thanks a lot.
Enjoyed "Agua", about 1 mile down the street from the hotel, for dinner. It was somewhat pricey, but most places tend to be in Cayman anyway. Can't comment on their lunch menu.
Camana Bay has a bunch of restaurants and stores and is nice for an evening walk. The concierge at the Westin recommended "Abacus", but I was seriously underwhelmed and would not recommend it. "The Brooklyn" is a casual place with great pizza and sandwiches.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
If you want really local (as in hole in the wall where few tourists would go), try Season to the Bone which is a drive from the Westin south of downtown Georgetown (Walkers Rd at East Blvd). It is a real hole in the wall so don't expect anything fancy.

You can also try Chicken! Chicken! which is totally casual. A short drive from the Westin towards Georgetown.

For dependable dining options:
- Grand Old House
- Luca (about a 10 minute walk from the Westin)
- Deckers
- Abacus (Camana Bay -- I think the same owners as Deckers)

Remember, Cayman is expensive so dining out will not be cheap.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:38 pm

Thanks a lot folks. We are going to check some of these places out. I’m here right now and am impressed.

- service has been very good.
- used SNAs and upgraded to one of the best suites in the house. 5th floor staring right at ocean.
- new remodel is very very nice.
- as mentioned, prices steep and driving on the left side of road is a challenge.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:42 am

Thanks a lot folks. We are going to check some of these places out. I’m here right now and am impressed.

- service has been very good.
- used SNAs and upgraded to one of the best suites in the house. 5th floor staring right at ocean.
- new remodel is very very nice.
- as mentioned, prices steep and driving on the left side of road is a challenge.
Try the Sunshine Grill across the street. Great fish tacos and other reasonably priced eats. Deckers for all you can east lobster tail.

Sunday brunch at the RC next door is amazing, albeit pricey.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
+1 for deckers. Always loved the all you can eat lobster tail special!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:29 pm

Grant Cayman Westin Trip Report - I’m a PLT100 who booked 5 night on points this past week. Overall, it was a great stay and Id come back in a heartbeat. Here’s the deal...

- Checkin was very good. The manager even came out to shake my hand and said that my ambassador sent a note about my stay. They gave me $50 in resort funny money.

- Room... Applied SNAs (hey, I had 10 to burn this late in the year) and they actually went through. They put me in a nice two room suite on the 5th floor looking over the pool and ocean. Jackpot. Two balconies, two fridges, a small kitchen. It was newly remodeled. A great room.

- Breakfast... I took the breakfast amenity and paid the $8 to upgrade daily to the full buffet, which was one of the best best buffet breakfasts I’ve ever had. The Omelette Guy was awesome. I applied $10 of the resort funny money to this daily and also applied my Green Choice certs to it. Oh and if you eat bfast at 10-10:30, you’re pretty much full till dinner.

- Green Choice... as I had a two room suite, they ended up putting 2 certs under my door each night. I used one to offset breakfast upgrade and traded in the others for points.

- Lobby and Grounds... recently updated and awesome. Lobby was great, pool area was great, and beach was great. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

- Amenities... seeing I plopped down $60/day for the resort fee, We took advantage of the free stuff. This included yoga every morning, free paddle boarding at 9AM, etc. I rented a car and parking was free. Used Gym. It’s one of the better ones.

- Food... took advice here and tried several of the local restaurants. We eat casual and all were pretty good. One note is they include gratuity in your bill. I did not notice that till day 2. I’m pretty sure I shelled out a few 35% tips. Lol.

Went off the beaten path one night and ate at the “West Bay Diner”, which was a hole in the wall. Probably good for breakfast or lunch but not great for dinner. No booze or wait service. Whoops.

- Paying for Stuff... You can use USD or Cayman $. The set exchange was $1 US is $0.8 CI. It’s a weird situation, not like other countries. Things were more expensive for sure but not double. I’d say a solid 20% higher on most things. More on alcohol. I did hit the market for some food and snacks.

- Stuff I Brought and Should Have Brought... I Brought Beer and sun screen. Wish I Brought cheap snorkel gear.

- Snorkle... found a place called Aquarius Tours and paid $50US for a 3 hour boat tour given by 3 locals. Well worth it. Went snorkeling, fed Rays in the wild, went to starfish point. These guys are a small, local outfit and real islanders. We had a great time.

- Car... rented a car from Budget. What a hunk of junk. More dings and scratches than my wife’s car, door handle busted, blinkers did not work. It got me through. I was paranoid as I did not get insurance as it was more than the rental. I babied that junk box.

Oh, I’ve never driven on the left. Took 2 Days to get used to it. The directional is on the wrong side and they have rotaries everywhere. Was stressful till day 3. Lol. Especially in the dark.

I would definitely go back. The wife said it was the best vaca she’s ever had. Water was beautiful, everyone was super friendly, accommodations were awesome. No complaints... except for the junk car.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
Posted this in another thread before I found the master thread so I apologize for that....but it looks like the "resort fee" is $65 a day now....anyone have any luck getting it waived or reduced, etc...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.