Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:47 pm

We've been there twice and I don't recall seeing a kiddie pool. There are two hot tubs on either end of a large pool. We were just there in late February and saw many kids and parents. This hotel also had a sign for Westin Kids Club, but I didn't see any formal programs taking place during our visit.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thor17
Does anyone know if they have a kiddie pool here?
No kiddie pool, but plenty of activities for kids. The regular pools were used mostly by kids during our stay. There was also a long list of programs at Westin Kids Club to participate in, although a little pricey.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Where to go for a rehersal wedding dinner?

We're staying at the Westin in a couple months and need to figure out where to hold a wedding rehearsal dinner for 25-30 people. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by iahsooner
We're staying at the Westin in a couple months and need to figure out where to hold a wedding rehearsal dinner for 25-30 people. Any suggestions?
Yes. www.Pappagallo.ky (indoor with separate screened-in outdoor area for about 50 people) www.wharf.ky (outdoor)

The 4-Diamond restaurant on the Westin property is very nice as well and they can setup a large banquet tent on the beach if needed. It's called Casa Havana. Quite expensive, never busy, avg. number of guests per evening: about 5 couples. Its layout may not be conducive to a rehearsal dinner though.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:04 am

Depends what you like and are looking for.

Grand Old House is excellent (we've done a couple of anniversary meals there) and they frequently host wedding dinners with multiple dining areas within the complex including tented areas, private "wine room", etc.
Calypso Grill has excellent food and a little less formal (you could probably book the outdoor tables)
Lobster Pot is decent but a bit small
Wharf is okay - the plastic chairs might be a turn off though
Yoshi sushi - for something completely different (across the street from the Westin)
Pappagallo gets a lot of good reviews (we haven't been there yet)

Originally Posted by iahsooner
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I would highly recommend both Pappagallo and Yoshi sushi. Completely different experiences.

If there are any kids in the party, Pappagallo has some parrots and other entertaining items, while still having an excellent adult menu.

Yoshi sushi is, hands down, the best sushi I've had in the Caribbean.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:02 am

If you're looking for something more casual and much less expensive, try the Sunshine Grill at the Sunshine Suites across the road. Ask them to set up the tables poolside.

I don't like the Wharf at all. I'd recommend Pappagallo's for the Bride & Groom, away from everything else.

Cheers,
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, DL, USAir
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
So, I've been through the entire thread, and there's some truly great information here. I was left with one question.

For those that have visited the property during the January-March timeframe, how is the water temperature? Pool and beach?
Pizzaman we were at the Westin GC in Feb 2009. Ocean was divine and the pool was grand, and I hate cold water. The hotel rooms are a bit tired, but the beach makes up for it in *droves*.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:53 pm

Ocean temp Jan-Mar is typically high 70's, Apr-June low 80's, July-Sept it will be a few degrees higher and will cool slightly into the winter months.

I usually go down to Cayman in early May and it's >80 degrees at 100' down

Originally Posted by PointsMinded
Pizzaman we were at the Westin GC in Feb 2009. Ocean was divine and the pool was grand, and I hate cold water. The hotel rooms are a bit tired, but the beach makes up for it in *droves*.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:03 pm

what extras are no included in $20 resort fee?

i see $20 resort fee includes towels and lounge chairs, is this for pool and beach chair?
does this include pool toys/floats for kids, should i bring my own?
what else does this include?

also, $15 for internet, is this wireless or wired or both? is this for a 24 hour period. i will be there for 6 days but only need internet for 3 24hour periods.

i see kids club is $31 per session, anyone use this? anyway to pay this with points?

anyone have any options for unlimited text messaging or even cell phone for 6 day trip.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG, HH, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by flyer12345
i see $20 resort fee includes towels and lounge chairs, is this for pool and beach chair?
I would say both, as during our stay last week of January 2009 pool and beach lounge chairs were available at no charge. The hotel only provided very minimal toys for kids. I would recommend bringing your own.

i see kids club is $31 per session, anyone use this? anyway to pay this with points?
We wanted to but the kids club during our stay was always locked. I would not count on it. This was just before the high season started though. We did use in-room babysitting instead that we booked prior to arrival. It is best to do it in person as the concierge who arranges babysitting expects a form to be filled in.

anyone have any options for unlimited text messaging or even cell phone for 6 day trip.
Try http://www.iphonetrip.com/ You can use your unlocked phone with their SIM card or you can get their iPhone. There are other iPhone rental options, just search Google.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Very strange! Have a patient who has gone there many, many times and been treated exceptionally well as a Platinum. Looked in to booking a winter trip and it says, "limited SPG participation."

Called the Platinum Concierge and was told (after he spent some time looking into it) that the issue is their cancellation penalty. He said any cancellation within 14 days would result in being charge cash for the entire stay, whether the stay was on cash or on points! This is hard to believe.

Does anyone know if this is possibly correct?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stevens397
A quick look at the hotel's webpage shows the following:

"Due to unique cancellation policies, all Starpoint Award reservations for this hotel must be booked through your local customer contact center."
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by stevens397
Called the Platinum Concierge and was told (after he spent some time looking into it) that the issue is their cancellation penalty. He said any cancellation within 14 days would result in being charge cash for the entire stay, whether the stay was on cash or on points! This is hard to believe.

It is completely correct. If you find the 14 day advance hard to believe, then check out the cancellation policy on a RACK rate reservation for Dec 13-17. That's just one of many dates during which the cancellation deadline is 90 days!

The 14 day cancellation policy doesn't cause problems for spg.com; there are other resorts that also have such penalties sometimes. But this property and the Westin Dawn Beach, St Maarten are the ones that are sometimes so strict that spg.com prohibits online award bookings across the board. Both are owned by Columbia Sussex. See this recent post about Columbia Sussex's behavior with their Las Vegas property, too.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Wow - amazing and, to me, nuts!

So help me understand. If I booked a 5 night stay totally on points and had to cancel a week ahead, what would my penalty be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.