FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168061-westin-grand-cayman-cayman-islands-master-thread.html)

Hyperacusis Dec 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by enigmamatt (Post 21970953)
Hyperacusis -- can you comment on other aspects of your stay? My wife & I are heading here in March. How does the property look after the renovation? Service? Were you upgraded or had you booked the partial ocean view?

We had booked a base level 'island view' room on points (5 nights/5th night free) so the ocean/pool was an upgrade for us. I believe upgrades beyond this level are quite uncommon, because they have incredibly few suites (junior suites are the only level an SNA will confirm into, and mine failed to clear as I expected), and the 'deluxe ocean front' rooms are supposedly not as nice as the ocean/pool view, despite being a higher category.

I wasn't here before the renovation, so I can't comment on any specific improvements, but I have no complaints. I have stayed at nicer beach resorts for sure, but I don't have anything particularly negative to say about the quality and upkeep of the Westin - it is definitely nice but not exceptionally so. The service however has been great so far, as I alluded to earlier. Definitely happy with that aspect of the stay.

Originally Posted by Flews (Post 21971321)
Try the fish tacos at the Sunshine Grill, behind the plaza across the street. And a 'Painkiller', if you're a drinking man.

Thanks! Excellent recommendations on both counts.

Hyperacusis Dec 17, 2013 4:46 pm

I will add that internet here is incredibly spotty and has barely worked the past couple of days. It seems work fine in the lobby (at least it has every time I tried to demonstrate the problem to the front desk). I would be a lot more annoyed about this if I didn't have an unlimited international data plan (and a VPN passthrough to hide tethering) on my phone.

spellbound2 Dec 18, 2013 12:20 am

would you say this is worth a 5 or a 10 night stay in Grand Cayman? We snorkel and swim, like to hike and explore, shop, and relax, but some places are very small or feel like you really only need 5 nights. Does anyone have thoughts? We are considering going here over Christmas next year.

freeloader Dec 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2 (Post 21985612)
would you say this is worth a 5 or a 10 night stay in Grand Cayman? We snorkel and swim, like to hike and explore, shop, and relax, but some places are very small or feel like you really only need 5 nights. Does anyone have thoughts? We are considering going here over Christmas next year.

Do you really like to snorkel? I mean if you love to dive or snorkel there is certainly enough sites to keep you busy for a week plus. For me it more then 5 days would be a bit much. I snorkeled a bit, but there isn't much in the way if hiking per se, and I was George Town isn't a huge metropolis. For me 5 days was perfect, though again, if you really like to snorkel and dive, I can see you would have enough for more then five

Flews Dec 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2 (Post 21985612)

Christmas is magical in Cayman. Be sure to get their enough before Christmas Day to take in the pirate celebrations. Some of the best residential Christmas light displays you see anywhere in the world. There is lots to so along the lines you state above. Great restaurants too.

My best answer is five days is enough if that's all the time or money you can expend, but I'd do 10 days if I had the choice - and, in fact - usually do.

Cheers,

juliankrye Dec 19, 2013 6:53 am

5 nights on points

Hi,

Looks like you have to call to book on points at this hotel, anyone know how much it costs on points for a 5 night stay, assuming 5th is free?

thanks,
J

freeloader Dec 19, 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by juliankrye (Post 21993427)
Hi,

Looks like you have to call to book on points at this hotel, anyone know how much it costs on points for a 5 night stay, assuming 5th is free?

thanks,
J

48k for five nights low season
64k for five nights high season

juliankrye Dec 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader (Post 21993707)
48k for five nights low season
64k for five nights high season

thanks for your response, much appreciated.

spellbound2 Dec 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Flews (Post 21989976)
Christmas is magical in Cayman. Be sure to get their enough before Christmas Day to take in the pirate celebrations. Some of the best residential Christmas light displays you see anywhere in the world. There is lots to so along the lines you state above. Great restaurants too.

My best answer is five days is enough if that's all the time or money you can expend, but I'd do 10 days if I had the choice - and, in fact - usually do.

Cheers,

Thanks for the tips! That sounds like a lot of fun. We usually spend a good amount of time with our masks in the water, so maybe 7 nights would work well. It always seems such a pity not to use to 5 night awards though, especially with the requal gold gift of 25% off. I'll think about next year soon- this year, we're heading to RBC at Westin Cancun! We've never been there, so we're looking forward to exploring.

enigmamatt Mar 14, 2014 6:50 am

Just got back

All --

My wife and I just got back from 5 nights here this week. I thought I would share some of my observations and thoughts about the property.

Check-in: Arrived early and was told room was not ready (ok, no problem). Offered to store our luggage until it was so we could enjoy the facility. Perfect. Had to fight, however, for the alt plat amenity given that internet is included in the resort fee...but ultimately got extra points (though unclear how many). No plat upgrade as resort was completely sold out.

Room: Our first room, 373, was horrible. AC did not work. Loud grinding noise day and night from some type of work going on on the roof. Crappy old showerhead. We were finally moved to another room once it opened up and it was much more pleasant. Overall, even with the new room, I would describe the actual rooms as just "meh" -- granted this is compared to the St Regis Bahia from last March which had much nicer rooms. Average Westin, I suppose. You get 2 bottles of water free each day -- though I had to call and remind them to provide them 3 times.

Service: Very hit and miss. Many evenings we went out to front of hotel...no doorman for 5-10 min to get us a taxi. Front desk was often less than friendly. Beach service...sometimes you could find folks, often times not.

Beach: The beach is great -- crystal clear water unless it gets a little rough. Much less crowded than the Ritz beach (though still crowded). One thing to note is that they have some umbrellas that are seemingly permanent on the beach...but will put up an additional row of chairs and umbrellas in front of these (kind of ticked me off the first day I got there early to get a front row seat only to have another umbrella put up in front of me...lesson learned).

Other things about trips and the island -- for snorkeling and Stingray City I would recommend Acquarius with Capt Mario -- did a great job...boat was far less crowded than the Red Sail boats that go. Found them on Trip Advisor. The town is pretty dead when cruise ships aren't in port -- restaurants not overly crowded. Our favorite restaurant was Casanova -- ask for table 82 and you can take off your shoes and have your feet in the sand.

Great island -- we'll be back at some point I'm sure. Just not sure if teh Westin will be it...

bworrell Apr 10, 2014 7:42 am

For those of you curious about the Platinum alternate amenity, I was offered 500 points a night (and I chose Breakfast as my normal Platinum amenity).

Medved Apr 10, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bworrell (Post 22681923)
For those of you curious about the Platinum alternate amenity, I was offered 500 points a night (and I chose Breakfast as my normal Platinum amenity).

This is nice! $20 to buy...

BadgerFlyer91 May 14, 2014 7:44 am

We are headed to this property for an end of school getaway. Are there any "must do" activities in the area? We will be happy with relaxing by the pool & ocean but would hate to miss something great.

Flews May 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerFlyer91 (Post 22862486)
We are headed to this property for an end of school getaway. Are there any "must do" activities in the area? We will be happy with relaxing by the pool & ocean but would hate to miss something great.

Check out the Sunday brunch at the Ritz Carleton if you have the cash. Try some local food, such as at the Cracked Conch. One of the most unique things to do in Cayman is swimming with the Stingrays. But avoid doing it, and also going into town, when the cruise ships are in. Otherwise, relax and enjoy. The beach at the Westin is wonderful, and you can walk for miles.

Cheers,

hhoope01 May 15, 2014 6:09 am

Removed reply...Misread Flews post.

I'll agree with Flews in that swimming with the stingrays is a truly memorable experience and well worth doing.