Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Depending on how sensitive you are to noise, a large number of rooms may be unacceptable due to outside roads, HVAC, etc. at many properties.

When I stayed at a property in Delaware for a year, check-in was always "5th or 6th floor, room higher numbered than 40, odd number if possible, please". There were about 25 rooms (540-550 and 640-650, iirc, plus 3 odd ones in a center core surrounded by hallways) of the 250 in the property that weren't too loud for me.

You would think they'd have enough feedback by now to have eliminated some of them. I understand road noise is just a cost issue, and they'll put up with a certain number of complaints or room moves rather than pay for better glass. But HVAC placement and other controllables should be known by now.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I stayed at a Towneplace that is new, was in construction just a few months ago. The wall mounted AC unit is right next to your bed so you get to feel the air blowing over you. Now, if you were at a junky motel that might be expected, but really?
You seem to be assuming that your preferences are universal. Here at home, I purposely placed my bed directly under the vent because that's my preference.

And now I'm staying at a Residence Inn, which is pretty new, and half the one-bedroom suites are next to the street. You can hear the cars (meaning they didn't bother to change the windows).
This is a developer issue, not a design one. Marriott (and virtually all other hotel groups) will provide stock plans for many of their brands for franchisees. Not every plan is appropriate for every site. Unfortunately, it's not unusual for a developer to choose the plan that maximizes room count and to build with the cheapest materials.

That manager shouldn't be criticizing the designers. Rather, she should be complaining that the owner didn't consider the immediate surroundings and failed to adequately sound-proof the rooms.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
You seem to be assuming that your preferences are universal. Here at home, I purposely placed my bed directly under the vent because that's my preference.
Bingo. I like AC vents blowing on my feet, keeps me cool.

Simply put, RI, CY properties are cheaper because they are cookie cutter. If someone had to individually design each room to be optimal due to the surroundings, well, thats gonna cost a lot more.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I can tell you at least half the world doesn't like air blowing directly on them.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Placement of Air / Heat unit in the SHS / Courtyard level properties is a major pet peeve of mine. Worst is when it is directly in front of the desk. Just what I want when trying to get some work done....

My hack is to drape a towel over the ironing board, and place it directly in front of the unit. Effective to block the air from blowing directly on me while still providing heat / cool air.
I used to tell people in Asia that in America we have it better, we have "central" air conditioning. But then, as you say, there are these "hotels" where it is just something stuck in a wall.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
Bingo. I like AC vents blowing on my feet, keeps me cool.

Simply put, RI, CY properties are cheaper because they are cookie cutter. If someone had to individually design each room to be optimal due to the surroundings, well, thats gonna cost a lot more.
However you can come up with 5-6 different subsets of each brand that meet different needs and conditions based on what surrounds the hotel. Property in rural area at least 100 meters from four lane or wider highway? You don'r have a soundproofing requirement. An airport hotel underneath the runway approach for a major hub airport? You must meet these soundproofing specs because most of the time they will result in room noise levels less than X decibels of noise when a 777 takes off overhead. Here's a product list of approved sound mitigation materials you may select from.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:11 am

My biggest pet peeve with Marriott is they build these brand new hotels or update their hotes and everything looks so nice and modern and then you look at the AC Unit right below the window that looks like it is from 1985!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'd like to bludgeon the designer who designed the lighting in rooms for St. Regis Astana. A suite with separate doors for guest powder room, main bathroom, closets, living area but unable to work and light up the living room. No clear dimmer settings. No independent lamps to talk about for the living room. Ended up working on a chair near front door with bathroom lights on.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I used to tell people in Asia that in America we have it better, we have "central" air conditioning. But then, as you say, there are these "hotels" where it is just something stuck in a wall.
I don't mind the split units in Asia as much. They are typically mounted high on the wall, and have better controls to direct the flow of air where you want it. Most even have a "swing" feature, that directs the flow back and forth. The cheap ones in these hotels have no such flexibility. On or off is pretty much it....

And the ones in Asia are usually much quieter...
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Do the people who are redesigning the Marriott rooms ever try to work in them?

I have been staying at the SFO Airport Marriott for nearly 20 years. I arrive today to discover that
  • There is no desk in the room
  • No desk means only the phone by the bed
  • No closets
  • No luggage stands
  • Door to the bathroom is glass and not well frosted
So what do I do? I throw the coffee pot, coffee/tea box, ice buckets, etc.. on the floor with all the usual Marriott waste of paper and turn the TV stand into a desk. I like the huge TV but not at the expense of a place to work.
Funny to have read your last line. I do the same in many hotels... even in some where they have a desk but they have all these advertisement and materials cluttering it so that it is not usable. First thing I do is take it all off and put by the TV or some other place.

This last time, I was staying for 3 nights so I went ahead and moved it all off so that I could use the desk. Following day when I come back in the evening... you guessed it. Everything had been neatly arranged back on the desk.
I guess, old dogs do learn at some point. So, I take it all off and put it away in the closet on the ledge above the hangers.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by AADFW

For the love of God hotel chains -- PLEASE put in (or keep) closing, locking doors that block out ALL light and noise from the bathrooms. And while you're at it, please keep the showers fully enclosed with either a curtain or doors. No more of this permanent half-barrier glass nonsense that keeps the ambient air freezing cold when trying to take a shower!!
Really. I don't understand these half-barrier glass contraptions either. Not only is the ambient cold air a problem but also, in many instances, you have no way of containing water in the shower area.
melissaru likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I don't understand why hotels, whether new-build properties or renovated properties, don't have better overhead lighting. Seriously. Instead of a half-dozen lamps and switches, how about one or two central, overhead lights that aren't yellow?
airoli likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:41 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
My primary design pet peeve in a hotel room - poorly placed (or lacking) outlets and charging stations (NO excuse in newly renovated rooms)

And the most perplexing corollary- the orphan coffee maker placed no where near power- WTH?

I have seen that in at least half a dozen hotels.
tfred, KRSW, melissaru and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by damon88
My primary design pet peeve in a hotel room - poorly placed (or lacking) outlets and charging stations (NO excuse in newly renovated rooms)

And the most perplexing corollary- the orphan coffee maker placed no where near power- WTH?

Oh yeah, one hotel I found many plugs in the kitchen that didn't work. I thought the blender was broken but apparently it just didn't have electricity. Why make plugs that aren't actually powered?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damon88

Or, rooms that have 5A USBs but cut the power off when the main power switch is pressed. Like when going to bed. Utterly pointless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.