Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by Baze
Hmmm, that table with the desk chair sure looks like a desk to me. Granted it is on the small size.
The room looks NOTHING like that picture. No desk. No chest of drawers. And thankfully, no ugly green and gold duvet.
Old May 17, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL-Don
The room looks NOTHING like that picture. No desk. No chest of drawers. And thankfully, no ugly green and gold duvet.
Sorry, I misunderstood that your room was not like the one pictured.
Old May 17, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jlb3
So I’m a millennial travel and frequently get these Marriott surveys. I always say I have no need of a desk or chair – because I don’t. When I travel for leisure, esp with other people, it just gets in the way and is a total waste of space.
Speaking as a boomer (I'm 56), when I travel for leisure I almost never really need a desk, either.

However, 99.9 percent of my travel is business and, for that, a desk is entirely a necessity. Without a desk, I lose money because I spend too much time fidgeting around and less time billing clients. Like many consultants (and there are a LOT of us in various fields) I only earn a living on billable time, not a fixed salary. Do I work entirely out of the hotel room? Of course not. Plenty of time is spent at my client's offices, but there is always work to do afterwards -- research, collaboration, document preparation, etc. Without a desk and chair I'm screwed.

If Marriott is going to rip out desks because they want to appeal primarily to the vacation crowd and less to the business people, they're perfectly within their right to do that. It will, however, force almost all of us who travel on business and need a desk to look elsewhere for accommodations, regardless of whether we're "Millenials", "Boomers", "Gen X", "Gen Y", whatever. I know plenty of young workers who travel and would be up a creek without a desk, so I really don't think this issue has anything to do with one's age or generation.

Last edited by flyerfmaz; May 17, 2015 at 1:37 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
Without a desk, I lose money because I spend too much time fidgeting around and less time billing clients. Like many consultants (and there are a LOT of us in various fields) I only earn a living on billable time, not a fixed salary. ... Without a desk and chair I'm screwed.
+1

After 34 years as a salaried employee, I "retired" to become an hourly paid consultant.
Old May 17, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
There's always worse:

Fleming's Hotel in Frankfurt
Old May 17, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
There's always worse:

Fleming's Hotel in Frankfurt
Transparent glass bathroom walls -- Always fun to put on a show for the bedbugs.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:45 pm

But there IS a desk. Perhaps maybe the issue is that they haven't put the desks in all the rooms yet, which then yes, shame on the hotel.

I can guarantee you I had a desk at that hotel. We shouldn't bucket it as an "idiot" design to Marriott Rooms when it isn't quite true.

I'm on my phone so can't get the photo uploaded, but there is a clear review in February 2015 where someone posted the renovated room picture, and you can clearly see the desk in there. The desk is a bit smaller than the normal desks, but still plenty of room to work.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link and if not, mod can remove, but look at the first picture on this review....wish I would have taken a picture of the actual room when I was there, but will the next time I go. The poster of the remodeled room was identical to what I had. You can see the desk under eye level of the TV close to the window.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT
Old May 17, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dank0014
But there IS a desk. Perhaps maybe the issue is that they haven't put the desks in all the rooms yet, which then yes, shame on the hotel
The picture I posted is exactly what the rooms formerly looked like.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I can guarantee you I had a desk at that hotel.
As I said early in this thread, the manager agreed with my issues and told me they were in the process of contacting out putting the desks back in the rooms. Why would the hotel spend money to put desks back in if they were already in the new design?

What I used for a desk was the TV stand that was barely deeper than a laptop. That is what you are seeing in the picture in the tripadvisor review with the chair in front of it.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:59 pm

The picture I posted is exactly what the rooms formerly looked like.
Yes but I am saying look at the picture in the link I provided where it says arriving early 2015 and shows the renovated rooms. That picture has been there since late 2014 and shows a desk and I am confirming j was just there and there was a desk in my room. I am sure the hotel didn't just remodeled and two weeks after finishing said lets remodel everything again????

I think you are becoming offense and saying every Marriott redesign doesn't have a desk or that none of the rooms in this property has a desk which is false.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

... and saying every Marriott redesign doesn't have a desk or that none of the rooms in this property has a desk which is false.
I am only talking about the SFO Airport Marriott. Others are contributing concerns about other properties.

I know what was in MY room and it wasn't a desk; it was a TV stand. The TV was bolted to it. If that's a desk for you, fine.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM Lifetime PLT, Hyatt LT Diamond, Marriott LT PLT, Hertz PC
It is unfortunately not just Marriott that is heading done the 'no desk' form-over-function design path. I have encountered the same totally useless [IMO] room set-up at the Hyatt Boston Harbor, and have not been back. And FWIW, Millennials and Gen Y are the same demographic cohort.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jlb3
So I’m a millennial travel and frequently get these Marriott surveys. I always say I have no need of a desk or chair – because I don’t. When I travel for leisure [emphasis added], esp with other people, it just gets in the way and is a total waste of space.
I'm a Gen Xer and I agree, when I travel for leisure a desk just gets in the way. Usually I use it as a second luggage stand when traveling with other people. When I travel for business, however, especially on a trip where I need to do more work from the hotel than simply responding to email for 15-20 minutes in the evening, a desk is vital to my productivity.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm a Gen Xer and I agree, when I travel for leisure a desk just gets in the way. Usually I use it as a second luggage stand when traveling with other people. When I travel for business, however, especially on a trip where I need to do more work from the hotel than simply responding to email for 15-20 minutes in the evening, a desk is vital to my productivity.
What Marriott needs is someone with some real practical creativity. While it would need to stand up to abuse, someone surely should be able to create something like this that is a desk when you need it and out of the way when you don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAa6bOWB8qY#t=64

in order to make everyone happy!
Old May 17, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What Marriott needs is someone with some real practical creativity. While it would need to stand up to abuse, someone surely should be able to create something like this that is a desk when you need it and out of the way when you don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAa6bOWB8qY#t=64

in order to make everyone happy!
The old adage, you can please some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time, but you can never please all the people all the time.

A hotel needs to figure out where it's bread and butter is. For most it is the business travelers during the week. They need to cater to them. Look at the rates for most hotels, they drop like a rock on the weekends for the leisure crowd. Now should they take the desks out Friday and put them back in on Monday? Lot of work and need for a lot of storage area which could be used better for something else. As most business travelers need a desk it would make sense to have one in there. What I am seeing more is a rolling type desk/table that you can move around the room and tucked away under a shelf. This works great as you can put it anywhere you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.