Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I have stayed in quite a few 5-year old or newer properties. And here’s my impression: generally modern, almost “minimalist” look for Courtyard, Marriott, Ren, and even some new JW. I really don’t like these. I can get the bare-minimum look for AC or Courtyard, but Marriott and JW?? I’m in my mid-30s and find the cookie-cutter modern design boring and cold, especially when I travel alone.

Especially Marriott Marriott, the style is so consistent and bland among all the new builds that I could easily mistake one property for another.

I love modern twist on classic designs— think of Gwen Chicago, St Regis Zhuhai/Shanghai, as well as old world glamour in Ritz.

I checked into a relatively new JW Marriott in Shenzhen last year and just sighed. The suite was huge but so much wasted space. Just... gah, all the straight lines, cold corners, clean cut surfaces, barely any character! Made me a bit depressed and thankfully it was my last night before returning home.

I love St Regis Shanghai. It might not have the best service but I appreciate their effort in trying to create a modern yet classic European look. A bit too much is better than none at all
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:32 am

Don't forget Marriott's current color schemes for renovated properties: Prison gray, battleship gray, and slightly darker gray.

As far as who to blame, it's these guys: https://www.hdbdesigngroup.com/

They did a real hack job on the SHS Anchorage. Yes, this hotel gets used hard and was showing some wear, but other than the expanded breakfast area, the renovation is much worse.

They removed the ever-useful wedge coffee tables for an ottoman with flimsy tray that's difficult to clean and you can't eat a meal off of. They took out the upper half of the wall dividing the living room area from the sleeping areas, so if someone wants to stay up, the sleeping areas are showered with light. I might add that they removed it quite poorly, as there's still a bit of it left hanging from the ceiling as well. Gone is the ceiling fan, replaced with some crappy ceiling fixture that looks like they found it at a garage sale. Still has a desk, but now the desk chair is very uncomfortable. Tubs were removed and replaced with showers. At least they left the wet bar alone.

Worst of all, they've taken ALL references to Alaska out of the room! The old rooms were the teal SHS scheme, but the artwork on the walls reflected the native culture.
Mahogany and madmanshoney like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Thank you Marriott (Atlanta Gateway specifically) for the desk but as this is 2020 I could really use some outlets instead of a LAN cord.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I have stayed in quite a few 5-year old or newer properties. And here’s my impression: generally modern, almost “minimalist” look for Courtyard, Marriott, Ren, and even some new JW. I really don’t like these. I can get the bare-minimum look for AC or Courtyard, but Marriott and JW?? I’m in my mid-30s and find the cookie-cutter modern design boring and cold, especially when I travel alone.

Especially Marriott Marriott, the style is so consistent and bland among all the new builds that I could easily mistake one property for another.

I love modern twist on classic designs— think of Gwen Chicago, St Regis Zhuhai/Shanghai, as well as old world glamour in Ritz.

I checked into a relatively new JW Marriott in Shenzhen last year and just sighed. The suite was huge but so much wasted space. Just... gah, all the straight lines, cold corners, clean cut surfaces, barely any character! Made me a bit depressed and thankfully it was my last night before returning home.

I love St Regis Shanghai. It might not have the best service but I appreciate their effort in trying to create a modern yet classic European look. A bit too much is better than none at all
The StR Shanghai is one of my favorite properties in Asia due to it's modern yet European look.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 8:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yesterday I stayed at the Buffalo Marriott at LECOM HARBORCENTER. While I really liked the hotel overall, the rooms didn't have desk.

The King Room wasn't too bad with its larger couch and larger table

But the two queens I was staying in had a really tiny little couch and smaller table. It also meant having to plug my devices in an outlet around the corner. Real annoying for working.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Yesterday I stayed at the Buffalo Marriott at LECOM HARBORCENTER. While I really liked the hotel overall, the rooms didn't have desk.

The King Room wasn't too bad with its larger couch and larger table

But the two queens I was staying in had a really tiny little couch and smaller table. It also meant having to plug my devices in an outlet around the corner. Real annoying for working.
Bummer. Again, idiot designers don't have a clue as to who uses hotel rooms.

David
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:53 pm

I was at a round table discussion years ago prior to the Bonvoy program where Mr. Marriott CEO took softball questions from his daughter. And Mr Marriott clearly said the future included no more closet, armories, drawers, etc. And the new hotels would have shared work area tables in the lobby area with internet electric outlets etc. These changes have been in the works for years.
cfabar1 and Mahogany like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Given the explosion of remote work in the last couple of years, I think it could be time to create a thread featuring Marriott hotels by city which have office chairs and a desk that you can sit in for more than 2 hours without needing medical care. I suspect the list could actually be quite short, but would certainly be very useful for me.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It annoys me that basic information like this can't be included in the room descriptions on the Marriott website. Sometimes only certain category rooms at a property have desks and desk chairs, so this might be a way to encourage customers to reserve more expensive room types.

I'd also like to know whether the room has a shower and/or bathtub or a combination one (usually with a shower curtain). [Bathroom details do seem to be included in the descriptions of handicapped rooms.}
SPN Lifer, KRSW, cfabar1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Given the explosion of remote work in the last couple of years, I think it could be time to create a thread featuring Marriott hotels by city which have office chairs and a desk that you can sit in for more than 2 hours without needing medical care. I suspect the list could actually be quite short, but would certainly be very useful for me.
SHOCKINGLY (as i live in the UK at the moment) i found an extended stay at a RI in aberdeen to be just perfect for this.

after two weeks i moved to an IHG property (indigo newcastle) for a bit and while the room was lovely and stylish with a wrap around roof deck--the furniture and chairs were excruciating.

i moved to a more traditional marriott (durham) and that was the best desk seat and set up for working all day from your room.

i do believe marriott here has generally given thought to this which ive only appreciated after spending days working in my room. currently sat in a sheraton in edinburgh, and while not as comfy, it still works well as the furniture is easily modular to work for me (lighting on calls and comfort)
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:23 pm

this sheraton edinburgh looks much more tacky on their website than it is.

however i am alone which is great since like most european SPG hotels were heading...all glass bathrooms which silence NOTHING. even now, i could close the bathroom glass door, and the toilet room door and easily hear the TV. like c'mon!

but for one, its grand. great views from the bath to the castle outside my windows.

Old Jul 21, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VSLover
this sheraton edinburgh looks much more tacky on their website than it is.

however i am alone which is great since like most european SPG hotels were heading...all glass bathrooms which silence NOTHING. even now, i could close the bathroom glass door, and the toilet room door and easily hear the TV. like c'mon!

but for one, its grand. great views from the bath to the castle outside my windows.
Should post a pic of the views.

David
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Should post a pic of the views.

David
well there you are.

Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well there you are.

Thatsa nice view! And no haar!

David
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
SHOCKINGLY (as i live in the UK at the moment) i found an extended stay at a RI in aberdeen to be just perfect for this.

after two weeks i moved to an IHG property (indigo newcastle) for a bit and while the room was lovely and stylish with a wrap around roof deck--the furniture and chairs were excruciating.

i moved to a more traditional marriott (durham) and that was the best desk seat and set up for working all day from your room.

i do believe marriott here has generally given thought to this which ive only appreciated after spending days working in my room. currently sat in a sheraton in edinburgh, and while not as comfy, it still works well as the furniture is easily modular to work for me (lighting on calls and comfort)
I officially opened the RI Aberdeen. Quite appropriate as my surname is Aberdonian!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.