Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Or, rooms that have 5A USBs but cut the power off when the main power switch is pressed. Like when going to bed. Utterly pointless.
I know. The sign says 'for your convenience.' It is for saving electricity and money, not for our convenience
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:25 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Some things I don't like:
- closets where the the lights won't ever go off. Why do I even need lights? I have had to manually turn them off at the fuse box level.
- Family rooms where there is a glass wall into the bathroom. Seriously, why would they do this? (I am curious why hotels have gone the glass wall route anyways???)
- Bathrooms where the toilet is next to the the shower and the shower wall doesn't give you a lot of room to sit comfortably on the toilet.
- Bathrooms where the toilet has its own little room. I think sometimes the space could be bigger.
- Lighting controls where you have to walk over the other other side of the king to turn off the left/right side reading light. Why can't the side with the phone control ALL the lights?
- Rooms that don't have a proper desk.
- Bathrooms with those drains that don't really let water go down, so when you shave you have to run the water for 5 mins to get all the foam to go down.
- Hotels with like 20 floors but only a couple elevators.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
How about not being able to turn the shower on without getting wet?
cawhite, C17PSGR, tfred and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:41 pm

The glass wall bathroom can save a few inches as opposed to the thickness of a wall. The additional glass can make a small room feel lighter and airier. But I hate the loss of privacy whether it is in a king room for a couple or a double/double. Who does not want privacy in the bathroom? Even if the glass is obscured glass, you still see the silhouette.

Twickenham likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:14 am

We recently stayed at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Bay, and noticed that in our balcony room, when standing near the sliding glass doors to the balcony, we could both see and be seen by guests on the level below and above us-just by looking at the glass partition on the balcony. This was startling and freaky. This is a great location if you like to people watch, or if you like to be watched.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by shoodawg
We recently stayed at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Bay, and noticed that in our balcony room, when standing near the sliding glass doors to the balcony, we could both see and be seen by guests on the level below and above us-just by looking at the glass partition on the balcony. This was startling and freaky. This is a great location if you like to people watch, or if you like to be watched.
I think most people don't realize the windows at many hotels aren't tinted. Even the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport has see-through glass in the atrium rooms. Hotels should be required to have a small warning sign if the windows aren't fully tinted.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think most people don't realize the windows at many hotels aren't tinted. Even the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport has see-through glass in the atrium rooms. Hotels should be required to have a small warning sign if the windows aren't fully tinted.
Privacy smart glass would be even better but probably too costly for most properties.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't understand why hotels, whether new-build properties or renovated properties, don't have better overhead lighting. Seriously. Instead of a half-dozen lamps and switches, how about one or two central, overhead lights that aren't yellow?
Overhead lights don't work well with the way hotels are built. They want all the wiring in the walls and not in the ceilings, as it saves a bunch of money. Most (Many? All?) of the annoyances and design shortcomings are cost issues.

Stayed at the Newark Airport Marriott recently. Open air, very small closet nook. No desk / desk chair. More like a motel 6 then a full-service Marriott. But I am sure it saved a couple bucks per room when furnishing...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

They were going for the Gilded Age look at St. Regis Astana but the faucet has no indication for temperature or flow. You get blasted first turn no matter what. Designer never took a shower in this hotel.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine

They were going for the Gilded Age look at St. Regis Astana but the faucet has no indication for temperature or flow. You get blasted first turn no matter what. Designer never took a shower in this hotel.
I've stayed at some other properties where either the the water temperature wasn't marked or hot was cold and cold was hot.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dimon84
Handle in the bathroom door falls off.
I have been very disappointed in the quality of decor and furnishings at new and renovated properties, most of which feature that hip, new design supposedly favored by millennials and whatever the generation after them is called. Unlike the older, classic design that lasted a good 7-8 years before it needed replacing, I've stayed at a lot of properties that within 2 years of opening (either brand new or after extensive renovations) show a surprisingly amount of wear and tear, including door knobs and handles. Has Marriott International's standards changed to the point where developers are using cheaper, less durable furnishings and decor elements? Some of this stuff is just cheap. It looks cheap, feels cheap and proves not to be durable. I guess it's true that they don't build things like they used to do.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itravelalot
I have been very disappointed in the quality of decor and furnishings at new and renovated properties, most of which feature that hip, new design supposedly favored by millennials and whatever the generation after them is called. Unlike the older, classic design that lasted a good 7-8 years before it needed replacing, I've stayed at a lot of properties that within 2 years of opening (either brand new or after extensive renovations) show a surprisingly amount of wear and tear, including door knobs and handles. Has Marriott International's standards changed to the point where developers are using cheaper, less durable furnishings and decor elements? Some of this stuff is just cheap. It looks cheap, feels cheap and proves not to be durable. I guess it's true that they don't build things like they used to do.
Post #459 doesn't look like anything any Millennial I know would like. That looks like old geezer style to me. Maybe Boomers with some old-movie-driven ideas of what luxury looks like.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sorry I didn't get a picture of it, but I had a Marriott room recently that was a strange shape, made up obviously out of a corner of miscellaneous leftover space on the floor. The small bathroom was configured so that the shower had half a fixed plexiglass (perspex) wall, and half that slid back for entry. The immovable wall had no obstruction all. Unfortunately, the sliding entry section was "blocked" by the toilet, requiring the guest to squeeze past (over jump over!) the bowl.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flightrisk
This post reminds me of a warning sign I found on the barn door at a revamped FS Marriott. You just know they posted this because too many guests were breaking the doors...

Yet another example of the idiots who design hotel rooms.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First time I've run into this. I was staying at a new construction CY (Columbus Phenix City / Riverfront) and there was a desk (yay) which had a light under the TV which was above the desk:

I could not figure out how to turn off that light. I looked around for five minutes until I finally called the front desk to ask for help. The agent on duty had to ask her manager who explained it to me.

You have to pull the TV away from the wall (it's designed to swivel) and the switch is hidden behind it. In all my years of travel this is the dumbest design feature I've encountered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.