Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by kmersh
The EWR Airport Marriott took out desks and desk chairs and instead put in a couch/bench thing with what appears to be a fancy hospital table (the kind the lower/raise with a lever).
When in the area, I stay at either the EWR FS or the Ren... whichever is cheapest. I guess it is only the Ren now. I know they recently remodeled and there are desks there.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by username
That is a good point. I am a thin guy but the walk-in showers I have seen in mid-price hotels (e.g. HGI, CP) have been too narrow. It hurts when the elbows bump into the glasses. I just hope they don't break.

Then, some hotels put the shower head on the opposite end as the door. So, it is a little tricky to not get splashed by cold water...
I am a thin guy too and I bumped my elbow twice during my stay there and my wife bumped her elbow at least once that she mentioned to me, as opposed to the tub/shower combo where most Marriotts had gone to curved shower curtain bars which "created extra room" and made the shower seem bigger than it probably was.

Upon checking out the clerk asked what I thought of the new room and I mentioned that the lack of a desk and desk chair was IMHO a bad move. She seemed to agree, but said something about Millennials and preferring to lounge around with a device rather than sit formally at a desk.

Then she said I am a Millennial and I would not book or book a hotel room because it had or didn't have a desk and desk chair and then said but who am I and people who get paid more than me obviously know more than me. I said I am a little older than a Millennial and while I do not do any work in a hotel room I appreciate having a desk and desk chair to surf the next/etc.

No idea if Marriott will reverse their decision or not and honestly it will probably not effect my choice of hotel, but it is still annoying.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
No idea if Marriott will reverse their decision or not and honestly it will probably not effect my choice of hotel, but it is still annoying.
If it affected more people's choice of hotel, it would be more likely that Marriott would fix their decision.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:23 pm

Whether or not you sit at the desk to work, the surface area and chair are useful. Especially if there are multiple plugs, the desk is a place for charging all the electronics, keeping things organized rather than scattered around the room getting misplaced, a place to sit and eat a meal. A desk chair in the room besides the armchair is nice to make calls and take notes, hang your jacket on the back, a place for a visitor to sit. This whole design concept of minimalism is OK as long as it still provides the same useful functions, but too often minimalism sacrifices practicality in the name of style.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I've stayed in a few different SpringHill Suites and haven't seen these "laptop trays" you speak of --
I've only seen these at a Hampton Inn...
Old May 26, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I've only seen these at a Hampton Inn...
Oh, those. Those are called "lap desks" and existed LONG before laptop computers ever existed! They aren't necessarily for computers -- they can also be used for any reading or writing material and probably for other things as well. @:-)

I have a lap desk which I rarely use. I received it as a Christmas gift long ago.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Whether or not you sit at the desk to work, the surface area and chair are useful. Especially if there are multiple plugs, the desk is a place for charging all the electronics, keeping things organized rather than scattered around the room getting misplaced, a place to sit and eat a meal. A desk chair in the room besides the armchair is nice to make calls and take notes, hang your jacket on the back, a place for a visitor to sit. This whole design concept of minimalism is OK as long as it still provides the same useful functions, but too often minimalism sacrifices practicality in the name of style.
Exactly. A desk serves multiple functions. @:-)

Another of my gripes is armchairs that look stylish, but are uncomfortable to sit in. (I think this was already mentioned upthread.)
Old May 26, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I have a lap desk which I rarely use. I received it as a Christmas gift long ago.
White Elephant?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
White Elephant?
....Like a lot of Christmas gifts.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Recently I stayed at a Residence Inn that had just been fully remodeled. Same issue there wasn't a desk in the room. There was a tiny ledge with the phone on it on the back side of the couch that had to pass for a desk. There was some kind of contraption next to the arm chair that looked like you could pull it over while sitting to use as a pseudo desk while watching TV. I am all for new design but I still want a real desk with a real office chair to work at. I am also in my fifties. End of rant...

--Jon

P.S. Unrelated rant, the last few properties I have stayed at that had recent "full" remodels still had the old warn out tub (and sometimes the toilet too). Why go to the expense of fully remodeling a room to make it fresh but still leave the bathroom tired and old? I have seen this at a CY and a RI recently.
The Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf (SFO) just remodeled and has the same kind of thing - a portable desk that sits at the end of the couch and swings out to position in front of a chair next to the TV... not optimal IMO but it was utilitarian and worked fine for me. I do agree that hotels should be soliciting advice from their travelers when they re-design, especially airport hotels. Not having a desk would be a negative IMO.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by DL-Don
When in the area, I stay at either the EWR FS or the Ren... whichever is cheapest. I guess it is only the Ren now. I know they recently remodeled and there are desks there.
100% correct, I stay at that Renaissance all the time (will be there this week) and it definitely has desks. Nice hotel w/solid food and bar too. It always amazes me that the Spring St hotels (Renaissance and Hilton) look so close from the airport but seem like they are 10 miles away when you drive there, lol...
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
They appear to have pulled out the tubs here and replaced them with walk-in showers. One positive in a sea of negative.
Nooo! I always like a tub (ideally with a walk in shower as well) - long soak in the evening after hard day working. At one of my regular hotels in Sri Lanka I always ask for an modernised room as they still have baths.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Virgin Silver
Amusing thread. I may be just slightly too young to be a 'Baby Boomer' but I have been designing hotel rooms on and off for thirty years, and want to defend the design fraternity.

The contour and finish of the hotel room desk might be proposed by us but whether there is one or not, and whether the bathroom door is translucent, that's down to the hotel chain and its brand consultants and marketing 'experts', Generation Y to a man. Those that are out of diapers I mean ;-)

When we did an airport Hilton in Europe it came with a thousand-page ring binder of specifications which could not be varied a whit to any local custom, received design wisdom, current best practice or latest fad. Any revision to that manual is done in focus groups and marketing agencies, not in a design studio. Every hotel chain has such a 'bible', although in its rigid inflexibility 'Qu'ran' could be more accurate.

I agree that 'surfaces' are important and have lost count of the number of times I've told a client that anything the guest needs to know can come on a webpage or through the television - but the marketing kids still strew every available ledge with laminated menus, premium movie adverts, pizza delivery and that perpetual faux-begging to 'save the planet' but actually the hotel's laundry budget by re-using your towels and sheets. Makes me insane. I tend to bundle them up with the Gideon bible and chuck them in the bin for recycling or disposal as the cleaners see fit.

Make your feelings known to hotel management - they are often on your side and bewildered by the decisions at marketing director/boardroom level, but they at least get to speak to those guys when you usually can't.

And keep providing feedback. Designers want to learn, too.

Do the people who are redesigning the Marriott rooms ever try to work in them?

I have been staying at the SFO Airport Marriott for nearly 20 years. I arrive today to discover that
  • There is no desk in the room
  • No desk means only the phone by the bed
  • No closets
  • No luggage stands
  • Door to the bathroom is glass and not well frosted
What idiots! I'm in my fifties... I don't work on my computer cross legged in the bed. The bathroom door is not a problem when I'm travelling with my wife but what are unrelated guests who have to share a room supposed to do?

So what do I do? I throw the coffee pot, coffee/tea box, ice buckets, etc.. on the floor with all the usual Marriott waste of paper and turn the TV stand into a desk. I like the huge TV but not at the expense of a place to work.

Wake up people, not everyone stays at a hotel, especially an airport property, with no intention to work. Why don't you talk to your real customers and not some Gen Y twerp?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by pdsales
It is really amazing that not only remodels but even brand new hotels sometimes have rooms with serious traffic pattern issues, closet doors that interfere with bathroom doors, toilet paper rolls that are nearly impossible to reach from the toilet etc.
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who's noticed those things. Since I'm nearly always in a hotel room by myself, I leave the bathroom door open when possible but often as not, I have to close it in order to leave the room. Or sometimes I don't have to close it because it closes itself. I recently stayed in a Hilton Garden with a self-closing bathroom door that I fixed by improvising a door stop from one of the paper coffee cups in the room to keep it half open so I didn't have to move it when I wanted to leave the room.

The modernizing that I most object to is the updated coffee makers. Before I get dressed, I want to have a cup of good coffee while sitting at the desk reading the morning's e-mail on my computer. I got accustomed to the small Mr. Coffee (or similar) coffee makers and packed some filters and coffee with me. Over the past half dozen years or so (longer for Marriotts) they've been providing coffee makers that can't use anything but the coffee that the hotel provides. Yuck!

I have to give them credit (at least those that still have a work desk) for making it easier to find a place to plug in a computer.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:51 am

Once they've done a makeover, it's difficult to go back. Is there a sensible space to move in a desk and chair? Probably not. If I'm staying for a few nights, I have often re-arranged the furniture (and leave it that way when I check out) but they try really hard to keep people from stealing the TV set so what that's securely bolted to is often too heavy for me to move.

Oh, and I like to listen to the radio when I'm in a hotel room, and those are getting replaced by alarm clocks or iPhone docks (I have an Android). I can have good music in the room these days by filling up a USB thumb drive and plugging it into the newfangled TV set, but I have to rely on my computer to listen to NPR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.