Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Centre Toronto [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Centre Toronto [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:33 pm

If you find the amount too low, why didn't you object on the spot?

That said, I agree 500 is a little low for the inconvenience (not to mention safety and health hazards). But since you never object to their offer (or never tried to negotiate a better offer), it is too late to complain now.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:54 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
Since it is so odd for someone not to have their room cleaned, I would expect housekeeping to verify this is what the guest wanted and there wasn't a misunderstanding. Since housekeeping staff may rotate and not clean the same room every day, I would expect these kinds of questions since the housekeeper would undoubtedly face discipline if a room was left uncleaned on their paperwork or in reality.

And really, if I didn't want to have someone make my bed every day and pick up, I would stay at home. <g> Having housekeeping is one of the few joys of travelling.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by PCheng
If you find the amount too low, why didn't you object on the spot?

That said, I agree 500 is a little low for the inconvenience (not to mention safety and health hazards). But since you never object to their offer (or never tried to negotiate a better offer), it is too late to complain now.
I didn't object on the spot because it didn't post to my Starwood account until after I checked out! The person didn't tell me how many points were being credited, and I didn't think to ask. I'm new to Starwood and I'm not sure exactly what the value of a "point" is, except I did find out it takes 20000 points to get a free plane ticket (given that, 500 points seems a measly amount for hours of inconvenience, plus possible long-term damage to my health (you don't have to have immediate symptoms for there to be damage - these chemicals can do things like damage cells in your lungs or brain which result in noticeable deficits or diseases (such as cancer) only years later; many of the chemicals used in paints/varnishes are known carcinogens. I do neuroscience research and am well aware of the possible long-term effects as I've seen patients with them). The hotel employee should have told me how many points he was crediting. Live and learn; this is the first time I've had such an inconvenience in a hotel and received compensation; I'm fairly easy to please. Minus the housekeeping issue and the fumes, I would have been ecstatic about my stay.

My bigger concern is Starwood's lack of concern for the health of its employees and guests: as I said, no attempts were made at all to improve ventilation on the day they sprayed. The employees working in the lobby were well aware of the smell (in the lobby) when I called.

As for housekeeping, asking once a day seems adequate to me. My experience at Starwood with the multiple inquiries (twice in an hour) is unique in my experience with hotels. If I do stay at a Starwood hotel in the future, I'll be sure to call the front desk and ask them to tell housekeeping to worry about cleaning my room only IF the "Do Not Disturb" sign is not left on the door.

Last edited by Lindisfarne; Jun 20, 2005 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:27 am
Suspended

Actually, I think 500 points would have been adequate compensation for the housekeeping problem, and you should have been offered a free night for the varnish issues. This hotel usually knocks itself out to explain the Service Promise, so I am really surprised that they offered you such a small amount.

I have stayed at this hotel many times and have never been hounded by housekeeping - but we always take our DND sign off during the day when we are out. Otherwise, it remains up the rest of the time.

They are just finishing renovations (obviously) so don't let this ruin your feelings about this hotel. It is our #1 favorite in Toronto, primarily due to the location, the nice pool and great views from the SPG floor.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:02 am
jjj

I will never return to this hotel. I had several issues and never once was the service promise offered. There are several non SPG hotels near that I would choose in the future.
I say take the 500 and let others know not to use the hotel. This was a good start.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
What I don't understand about the "Do Not Disturb" thing is this - didn't you get fresh towels from the housekeeper in the hallway?

I don't let housekeeping in usually - so that I don't have to clean up too much. I bring my soiled towels to the hall, meet my housekeeper, and exchange them There is no longer any confusion as to whether I want my room cleaned that day. I'm happy. They're happy.

If there is nobody in the hallway, I simply call to Housekeeping. THey will bring new towels very quickly and note that I do not want service.

I don't expect Housekeeping to read my mind, and I expect them to want to get their job done. It seems that the OP's tactics were a bit indirect and I don't fault housekeeping for inquiring.

On the other hand, if I had told them not to enter, and they did, I would be all over them. It's happened. Rarely.

Oh, if fumes entered my room I'd be FURIOUS! If this situation is described accurately, 500 points would never suffice for me.

Aloha
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:15 pm

About the towels question: I try to minimize my impact on the environment, thus I don't have them replace a towel I've only used a few times (you're presumably clean when you get out of the shower, so why do people think the towel needs to be washed after only one use??? Just hang it up and let it dry!). I was quite frustrated when they added more towels when they managed to enter when the Do Not Disturb sign somehow fell (I already had 3 bath towels, 4 hand towels, and 4 washcloths; they gave me more of each, although to their credit they didn't take the used ones (I've stayed at hotels where, despite the fact the used towels were hung up and their stated policy was to not replace towels which weren't on the floor, they did nonetheless).

Presumably, after every guest, a hotel has to replace all the towels (just in case a towel was used slightly) so in fact, the hotel ended up washing about 5 bath towels, 6 hand towels, and 6 washcloths, which is not very environmentally friendly by any measure. I didn't need the extra towels; I had more than enough to begin with.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver
My story...

I think the 500 points is a bit paltry. Here is how I was offered 2000 pts last week:

Delta left my bags in my Detroit when I flew to Cincinnati. They said they would be delivered to my hotel via courier as soon as they arrived.

I was staying and the Four Points Sheraton Downtown and informed the front desk of my situation. Their response was that they would leave me a message on my phone as soon as my bags came in and the indicator light in the room would reflect that message.

Just to be safe, I went out and purchased extra toiletries, etc. As of 10pm that same day, Delta said the bags were picked up by the courier, but they were not sure if they would be delivered that night. I called the front desk 3 times that evening to check if the bags had arrived. Each time, they said they would leave a message.

The next morning, no message light. So I proceeded to crack open all of the new stuff I purchased and put on the same clothes from the prior day. Out of curiosity, on my way out, I ask the bellstand if my bags had arrived. They had. Last night. Thrilled and upset at the same time, I head to my room to get ready again and call my client to let him known I was going to be late.

On my way out, I stopped at the front desk. I kindly mentioned that I was disappointed for 2 reasons. One, I spent extra cash on toiletries I did not need, and two, I had to ger ready twice and was late for work. The very kind women acknowledged that somebody did not follow process and offered me 2000 points without blinking an eye. I accepted, and the points were posted the following week.

Sorry to hear about your situation. They should have offered you more.
SN
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:40 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by sbtinme
As for the DO NOT DISTURB sign issue. You'll not get much sympathy here. Here's the deal: across the globe, there are thousands of people a day who accidentally leave the DND sign on their door --- why??? because they slip it on the door know the night before and in their haste to leave in the morning, they simply never look back to see that it's still on the doorknob. That places housekeeping departments in a tricky spot. If they honor the sign, far far far too many of these guests come back to their rooms at 6:42pm after a full day of meetings and are galled to find that they have no new towels, soaps, etc, and instantly call housekeeping and demand that all their needs be attended to at once. Therefore, when housekeeping sees a DND sign up all day long, you can bet they'll bend over backwards to ask you time and again if you really REALLY want them to leave everything alone. Bear in mind you are in the significant minority here. I can appreciate your concerns for personal privacy, but hotels get burned on this very issue so often that they have no choice but to be as proactive as possible. Hope that presents the other side of this issue for you. (BTW, I worked for 3 years at a Marriott where this happened essentially daily and drove us all nuts.)
Well. the OP will get sympathy from me. I'm a big user of the DND sign (helps me remember my room, sometimes).

Now I understand that some people will forget to remove the sign -- either during the day or at check out. But that is no excuse to "harass" a customer. Occasionally, I forget to remove the sign while I'm out during the day. Hey! That's my fault. I'm not going to get all high and mighty about it. I know some will, but catering to the self-important jerks in the world is not necessarily good service.

And if the problem is that people ocasionally leave the sign on after checkout, then Housekeeping's first call should be to the front desk, not to the room. If there is a DND sign on that should is not limited to knocking on the door. Do Not Disturb me means do not call me! Calling me while I'm sleeping is disturbing me. Get it?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just my two cents. If the situation was as bad as your described, 500 points is not enough. They should have offered you enough points for one free night.

As for the DO NOT DISTURB sign, I'm with you. I leave it on all the time and housekeeping have always honored it. They usually will leave a voicemail asking me to call them if I needed service.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by sharkshooter
In addition to the points, you were offered a different room, which you declined. It might have seemed to the hotel that the problem wasn't that bad if you would rather stay than move.
At the time I called, the problem was confined to the bathroom - opening the window had aired out the room (although who knows what chemicals were left in the room that I couldn't smell).

Since my room was not the only one hooked up to the hotel's ventilation system, I sincerely doubted my room was the only one affected, and the maintenance person agreed with me there. He put duct tape on all the vents, I placed a towel in front of the bathroom door (leaving it shut), and slept with an open window. I didn't relish traipsing around hotel rooms after midnight trying to find one without an odor, especially since I had to be up at 6:30. Since I had managed to air out the room (although not the bathroom), and since the hotel ventilated all rooms on the same ventilation system (according to the maintenance person), there was a good chance I'd find a similar problem in all rooms - in fact, they'd be even worse, given the room hadn't had an open window for several hours, as mine had (I opened it as soon as I returned to the hotel).

I'm very surprised that the Sheraton didn't choose to use, in a hotel full of guests, a product containing NO VOLATILE-ORGANIC-COMPOUNDS. Yes, it costs a little more, but isn't the health/safety of guests (not to mention, EMPLOYEES) more important???

This is what bothers me most of all. What else is Sheraton doing to cause a hazard to my health? (and are any hotel chains out there any better in this regard?)

I'm seriously considering reporting the Sheraton to the Canadian authorities. Any Canadians out there who know what agency is most appropriate? I know I can google for this information, but it would save me time if someone knows off the top of their head.

Last edited by Lindisfarne; Jun 26, 2005 at 6:50 pm
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:18 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Thought I should add my experience. I stayed at the Sheraton Centre on Saturday using Cash & Points. The entrance and lobby is definitely a renovation mess and it does smell a bit toxic in there.

However, I did not smell anything in my room or in the Bistro on Two or by the wonderful indoor/outdoor pool.

We had a wonderful stay. Check-in was by a very courteous young lady who graciously filled my request for a high floor corner room. The room was nicely appointed and clean. Requested and received a 4pm checkout - and left the DND on the door with no approaches by housekeeping to enter.

I would definitely be back. It's unfortunate that the OP had the experience they did - and from my contact with the staff here I'm surprised they'd not have bent over backwards to make it right.

Last edited by MilesTalk; Jun 27, 2005 at 10:19 am Reason: sp
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:21 pm

Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel - any deals or corporate rates?

Hello all.

Is anybody staying or working at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel and have some good corporate rates or deals available? I will be in the Toronoto downtown area... am a SPG Plat and looking to stay here. Our companies negotiated rates are not favorable at this property.

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:55 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Best I see now is $189CDN weekdays / 127 on weekends. If going for pleasure, the cash and points is a good deal...
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:30 am

try the AAA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.