FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott North, Houston, TX [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1679460-marriott-north-houston-tx-master-thread.html)

CMK10 May 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Marriott North, Houston, TX [Master Thread]

Stay Report, Marriott Houston North - 5/8-5/9

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Other/SF-Ba...IMG_0568-L.jpg

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Other/SF-Ba...IMG_0559-L.jpg

Location: First of all, while this hotel does have an airport shuttle and comes up when you search for IAH on Marriott.com, it's not really an airport hotel per se. It's about 4 miles from IAH located by the intersection of the Sam Houston Parkway (TX-8) and I-45. Nearby is the Greenspoint Mall and a few other hotels with "North" in the name

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Other/SF-Ba...IMG_0573-L.jpg

Hotel: A pretty nice property, though one with a small parking area. There's a large lobby with a big restaurant as well as a small store selling sundries and the like. I was happy to see when I arrived that this is the crew hotel for US Airways as well as a couple airlines, airline crew hotels are usually pretty reliable.

Check In: In a word, chaotic. We arrived Friday night around 10 PM and the lobby was mobbed. Two airline crews and a youth basketball camp were using the hotel. The check in desks were annoyingly understaffed so it took a while to get checked in. Thankfully, once I got to the front of the line it was handled quickly

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Other/SF-Ba...IMG_0571-L.jpg

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Other/SF-Ba...IMG_0572-L.jpg

Room: A little small, but very comfortable. Wifi worked well and there were outlets near the bed. We weren't in it long enough to look at all the features, but I was quite happy with it.

Other: The shuttle is a little annoying, it won't pick up at IAH on request but instead on the half hour.

My rate was $95, and the hotel was perfectly fine, in some ways quite nice actually. I just don't think I'd stay here for an airport stay again. Oh, a cab ride is about $29 from IAH.

myperks Nov 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Quick Stay Report

Had a quick overnight connection in IAH last week and stayed at this hotel with an awesome BRG rate of less than $65. (the rate wasn't really bad as BAR was $89)

Nothing really to add as the last review was about the same of what it still is. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute ride on the shuttle from IAH depending on which terminal you are. Terminal E gets picked up first (and dropped off first) and then it makes it way around the terminals before getting to the hotel.

Standard Marriott stuff in the US. I've read rooms "closer" to the freeway are loud so I called ahead of time to ask for a room away from the freeway. Little did I realize the hotel building is perpendicular to the freeway so all rooms are no more or no less going to get the freeway noise, although i did manage to a room at the end of the building farthest away from the freeway. I normally don't get to sensitive with noise but boy was it loud. I realized that a lot of the noise came through the wall hvac unit so I covered it up with the bed duvet which did help a little. I was lucky to have my multi pack earplugs in my carry on and used it to get a good nights sleep. The room is just as pictured from CMK10. Lots of plugs and usb hookup in the room and nightstand.

The lounge on the 8th floor had evening service and dessert service. Honor bar in the evening. Breakfast was continental with 2 hot items (eggs and bacon). Nothing too exciting.

There is a standard gym and an indoor/outdoor pool.

Service was okay and friendly.

For the price, I would stay here again (with earplugs).

BrightlyBob Nov 27, 2016 5:46 am

Yes, I stayed here in September at $59/nt. The rooms are certainly smaller than I've become accustomed to n the USA, but very clean and comfortable. The lounge is reasonable but doesn't stand out in any way. The free IAH shuttle and cheap rate made it for me, so I was happy.

cur Nov 26, 2018 1:37 am

stayed here for a single weekend night last week. it was fine. staff fine. as marriott/spg plat i got free appy and free breakfast with gratuity included. appy of wings was good enough. breakfast was above average; smoked salmon, chocolate milk, no omlette bar per se but wait staff indicated the chef will happily whip something up. breakfast area was massive, tons of rooms, i was super hung over and just wanted the private party room in the corner by myself. no upgrade, ended up on room facing freeway. you hear the freeway and typical freeway noise, and definitely on the top floor. it didn't bother me but that doesn't mean some may not be bothered. a placard indicated earplugs were available in the nightstand drawer. club lounge had a stack of like 200 water bottles for us grubby plats to grab 6 of. that was very professional and i appreciate it as the water in houston tastes weird. speaking of houston drinking water, the pool looked VERY nice (ie large and lots of chairs), definitely worth sneaking into in the summer should someone live in houston and not have access to a pool. typical airport marriott on a weekend night. very clean and professional.

kyushuman Feb 14, 2021 2:03 pm

Any updates for this hotel during Covid times? Very few reports on TripAdvisor even. With a $49 long stay rate, considering a month here for 60 elite nights.....

RobOnLI Feb 14, 2021 4:11 pm

I just spent a night there given some flight issues I had. United put me up in this place.

Everything is closed because of Covid. I don't even know how many floors are open but I know the 12th (top) is closed. I stayed on the 11th.

Check-in agent, while efficient, was rude. Wasn't interested in chatting so I couldn't get that much info out of her. There appears to be a "bar" behind check-in. By "bar" I mean they have a mini fridge of beers and some empty shelves that by the looks of them would store wine and pre-packaged V&T's, G&T's, etc. However, they were empty. The agent said she had no idea when they'd be stocked again.

She also refused to take my Bonvoy number reminding me that airline stays don't earn points. I know that but I thought my status might get me either a nicer room or a bottle of water or free internet. Then I realized she never took my ID or C/C upon check-in so I just charged enhanced internet to the room and I have no idea if the airline gets stuck for that or not.

The room I was in looked nothing like the original pics. There is no carpeting in the rooms. The rooms themselves are cheap and flimsy just like every other run-down, old Marriott. I give this property a 2 out of 10.

Because of Covid everything is shut. No lounge, no lobby restaurant or Starbucks, etc. And I was told the only food within walking distance is a Whataburger and Taco Bell but not to walk there after dark. Remember, this is Greenspoint. Unless you have a specific reason to be in that 'hood I'd avoid it. The rates are good but you can do the same or better a little further away from the airport.

Yes, there's a shuttle. It only runs 6a-11a and 6p-11p. If you arrive 11a-6p you have to take an Uber which is what I did yesterday.

If you have specific questions feel free to DM.

-RM

dayone Feb 14, 2021 5:25 pm

There was a time when this hotel was known as the Greenspoint Gunspoint Marriott.

jayer Feb 14, 2021 7:27 pm

There was a time it was a nice hotel despite the neighborhood (and I spent quite some time there because it was so much cheaper than The Woodlands). But that has been years, and the neighborhood was at least as bad then. Even in this stressed time I'm just shocked they can have a "full serve" hotel and not offer any sort of food service. Did they even have a delivery vendor?

RobOnLI Feb 15, 2021 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 33037809)
There was a time it was a nice hotel despite the neighborhood (and I spent quite some time there because it was so much cheaper than The Woodlands). But that has been years, and the neighborhood was at least as bad then. Even in this stressed time I'm just shocked they can have a "full serve" hotel and not offer any sort of food service. Did they even have a delivery vendor?

Every place in the US has a delivery vendor now...it's called Uber Eats or Door Dash.

i did mean to comment in my review yesterday that I was told to look in the fridge of the "pantry" for freshly made meals that could be heated up. I looked and wanted to puke. Everything was pasta in some nasty looking sauce. Considering I don't eat pasta I wasn't interested in the food. But even if I did eat pasta they all just made my stomach churn. The FDA was also quick to point out that the rooms don't have microwaves so I have no idea where they expected patrons to heat up the food. I'll assume there's a microwave that the FDA has access to.

-RM

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Feb 16, 2021 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 33040160)
Every place in the US has a delivery vendor now...it's called Uber Eats or Door Dash.

i did mean to comment in my review yesterday that I was told to look in the fridge of the "pantry" for freshly made meals that could be heated up. I looked and wanted to puke. Everything was pasta in some nasty looking sauce. Considering I don't eat pasta I wasn't interested in the food. But even if I did eat pasta they all just made my stomach churn. The FDA was also quick to point out that the rooms don't have microwaves so I have no idea where they expected patrons to heat up the food. I'll assume there's a microwave that the FDA has access to.

-RM

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay at this hotel. If you could send a Private Message with your dates of stay, or the reservation confirmation number if you have it, we'd be glad to follow up.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison

ElevatorEnthusiast Feb 16, 2022 3:17 pm

This is my second stay at this Greenspoint property, and it has changed significantly since my last stay in 2020. The rooms and hallways have been very renovated, and some construction seems to still be occuring in common areas around the lobby.

Don't get me wrong - it's still a hotel in Greenspoint, but I have been impressed for the price paid ($139 inclusive of taxes) and am not sad that I have several more days here.

The property is very busy currently with a conference of some sort, so there's a lively energy. The two agents at check-in were very friendly and fast. No upgrades, but I'm not even sure there are suites here. No issue with 4 PM checkout. I got a room on the 11th floor out of 12.

The room is small, but there is a nice large couch that's pretty comfortable. The bed is wonderful - plush with great pillows and covers. TV has Internet TV OS. Not much outside noise, but hallway noise can be heard. Bathroom shower has wonderful strong pressure.

The concierge lounge supposedly has evening service Sundays through Thursdays, but I haven't made it yet. There didn't appear to be water bottles or a working coffee machine, though.

Breakfast is a buffet served in the lobby bar. There is an omelet chef - yum. Another novelty was the Texas-shaped waffle maker. Simple, but much better than some other breakfasts I've had recently. Service was friendly, even in this seat-yourself setup.

Overall, it's not the most glamorous, but it's comfortable and affordable with friendly service.
​​​​​​
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cc2217a42e.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c9b5dccb00.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1755aa6a6e.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c65ffbc507.jpg

ElevatorEnthusiast Feb 16, 2022 3:26 pm

Oh, there is also daily housekeeping for towel refresh and bed making. The attendant was friendly and fast today.