Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:11 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I usually stay at the Soi 57 Marriott for various reasons, but for your circumstances the river would be better. I actually prefer the side of the river where the Shangri La is located and actually prefer that hotel although I have not stayed at the RO.

By market I assume you mean food market as opposed to flea market? I have been to several food markets selling everything from frogs to insects to exotic fruits and veggies as part of different cooking school programs. Ask at the hotel for a recommendation near where you are going to be as you tour during the day. IMO each are good experiences but none is worth going especially out of the way for, if that makes sense.

As for temples, when you are in Siem Reap there are several temples in and around town that are awesome. There is one along the river in town that has beautiful statues. There is one a half hour tuck-tuck ride south of the city that has an orphanage. Another on the edge of town has a human bone collection and there is one with a university attached that has chatty monks who are very interesting. I am in the process of moving but will see if I can find my travel notebooks for the names. If you lprepare a list of wats you want to visit you can hire a tuck-tuck to take you from one to another.

ADDED: The Wat mentioned above with the orphanage is not one of the tourist orphanages. If is not someplace tourists usually go. The tuk-tuk driver suggested it the day before because he thought I would find the monks interesting and the ride there a way to see how people live. The orphanage was separate but there were two young boys walking around who talked to the driver for a minute before he told me they wanted their picture taken. They asked a few questions about America which indicated they knew American TV, but they were not the "Mister, Mister, one dollar please" kids.

ADDED ADDED: Found pics on my FB page. Wat Bo (chatty monks) Wat Athvea (south of SR, not many tourists, may be where I was the orphans) and Wat Damnek (monestary).
If you're going to Angkor Wat, I'd skip seeing more temples and touristy sights in Bangkok and just enjoy the city as a city. Do the rooftops, the markets, the nightlife, the food, etc.

Honestly, I've been to BKK a bunch of times and never been to a temple there. None of them will come even close to comparing with Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by helvetic
SNIP
Honestly, I've been to BKK a bunch of times and never been to a temple there. None of them will come even close to comparing with Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm
You may not be a temple kind of person, which is fine, but you cannot make comparisons like that. Angkor Wat is a sprawling, ancient ruin. The various temples and palaces in Bangkok are living, breathing properties. The experiences, if visiting temples is your thing, are utterly different. You may as well tell them to skip Sacre Coeur in Paris or La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona because, you know, they won't compare to the ruins at Angkor Wat and they're all places of worship and that so basically the same.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
You may not be a temple kind of person, which is fine, but you cannot make comparisons like that. Angkor Wat is a sprawling, ancient ruin. The various temples and palaces in Bangkok are living, breathing properties. The experiences, if visiting temples is your thing, are utterly different. You may as well tell them to skip Sacre Coeur in Paris or La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona because, you know, they won't compare to the ruins at Angkor Wat and they're all places of worship and that so basically the same.
Yes, of course you’re right. One needs to be careful in Bangkok ,though, when visiting temples/wats....you might end up in one run by the loony monk charged with kidnapping and torturing police officers, or the one with the drugged tigers ( there to be petted by the moronic Khao SAN Rd brigade, prior to being disposed of and sent to China for making “medicine”), or those run by the drug dealing, private jet monks, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Stick the the main , better known ones and there is a chance you might encounter something genuine.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by paolo64

Yes, of course you’re right. One needs to be careful in Bangkok ,though, when visiting temples/wats....you might end up in one run by the loony monk charged with kidnapping and torturing police officers, or the one with the drugged tigers ( there to be petted by the moronic Khao SAN Rd brigade, prior to being disposed of and sent to China for making “medicine”), or those run by the drug dealing, private jet monks, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Stick the the main , better known ones and there is a chance you might encounter something genuine.
Temples in Bangkok really are not especially dangerous. If you stick to the main ones you'll have a chance to meet a lot of fellow tourists, but visiting (as described above) living, breathing places of worship is somewhat different (and I say this as someone not really into temples). Anyways, I feel we've drifted somewhat off topic.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Just noticed for the first time a Marriott Vacation Club property in Bangkok on marriott.com called "Marriott"s Bangkok Empire Place" in Yannawa.

"Marriott Vacation Club(sm) International offers spacious 1- to 3-bedroom villas that feature a full kitchen, living and dining area, and gracious master bedroom and bath. The finest amenities and Marriott service complete the experience."

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-empire-place/

Does not seem bookable yet.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by escape4
Just noticed for the first time a Marriott Vacation Club property in Bangkok on marriott.com called "Marriott"s Bangkok Empire Place" in Yannawa.

"Marriott Vacation Club(sm) International offers spacious 1- to 3-bedroom villas that feature a full kitchen, living and dining area, and gracious master bedroom and bath. The finest amenities and Marriott service complete the experience."

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-empire-place/

Does not seem bookable yet.
When it opens, we should create a separate property thread for it so individual trip reports can go there. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheer.s
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
So, I'm flying in to Bangkok today and due to a slight change of plans, my mom will be joining the trip unexpectedly. This switches things up in that my LM return reservation is probably no longer ideal. I've never done the "family friendly tourist experience," so a little unsure of what hotel would be ideal. The ROS looks like it has a good location for that, but is otherwise a dump. Most hotels seem sold out of suites. I'm considering SGS and Athenee (both of which would be first time visits). Perhaps I should consider the Surwasonge. I'm here during Songkran, don't mind getting wet, Ambassador elite, like the sound of free drinks at the bar or a good club lounge and value a good breakfast. Location is not crazy important since I'm comfortable getting around BKK.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:16 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
First time for mom? I’d go for the SGS.

I’m heading to BKK today as well. Happy to catch up before Monday.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
First time for mom? I’d go for the SGS.

I’m heading to BKK today as well. Happy to catch up before Monday.
First time for mom.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

SGS — 4112.5 THB on their buy 3 get 4 rate. | Seems to have suites available, unlike Surawongse
Surawongse — 4500 THB + bfast in restaurant + triple points on my corp code. | The rooftop pool, bar, and club lounge are enticing. Not sure what the location looks like.

Always good to be in BKK! Enjoy Songkran!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:40 am

SGS — 4112.5 THB on their buy 3 get 4 rate. Seems to have suites available, unlike Surawongse
Surawongse — 4500 THB + bfast in restaurant + triple points on my corp code. The rooftop pool, bar, and club lounge are enticing. Not sure what the location looks like.
Marriott Surawong is on average 800 THB cheaper than SGS according to my tracking of rates in Bangkok. I rarely see SGS as low as 4.1k THB so to me this would be a no brainer in terms of relative value: pick SGS and don't look back.

I am surprised Surawong does not have suites for your dates - they normally have far more suites than SGS.
helvetic likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:58 am

Marriott Surawong is on average 800 THB cheaper than SGS according to my tracking of rates in Bangkok. I rarely see SGS as low as 4.1k THB so to me this would be a no brainer in terms of relative value: pick SGS and don't look back.

I am surprised Surawong does not have suites for your dates - they normally have far more suites than SGS.
Interesting. I've been taking a look at BKK rates for a couple years and was under the impression that SGS was regularly 4-5k/night.

I took a flyer on the Surawongse and checked in yesterday. So far, extremely impressed. It's a 4-star hotel, but is probably the best 4-star hotel I've ever stayed at. Everything is executed very well, including a great rooftop bar, club lounge, and infinity pool that can rival the best. The rooftop bar and club lounge have the Marquis beat by a mile. The breakfast at the restaurant is one of the best I've had in BKK. Great views from the property: you can see MahaNakhon up close, can see the river and wats, can see the State tower and Sathorn Unique Tower. Rooftop bar has 360 views. The location, at least during Songkran, is not an issue at all.

It really seems like the hotel is popular, being sold out of almost every room type. They were quite apologetic about not having any upgrades for me, but generously offered to move me to a suite mid-stay (tomorrow). Understandable for Songkran.

I'll post a full review soon.

I still really want to try the SGS and see what the fuss is about.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:07 am

Interesting. I've been taking a look at BKK rates for a couple years and was under the impression that SGS was regularly 4-5k/night.

I took a flyer on the Surawongse and checked in yesterday. So far, extremely impressed. It's a 4-star hotel, but is probably the best 4-star hotel I've ever stayed at. Everything is executed very well, including a great rooftop bar, club lounge, and infinity pool that can rival the best. The rooftop bar and club lounge have the Marquis beat by a mile. The breakfast at the restaurant is one of the best I've had in BKK. Great views from the property: you can see MahaNakhon up close, can see the river and wats, can see the State tower and Sathorn Unique Tower. Rooftop bar has 360 views. The location, at least during Songkran, is not an issue at all.

It really seems like the hotel is popular, being sold out of almost every room type. They were quite apologetic about not having any upgrades for me, but generously offered to move me to a suite mid-stay (tomorrow). Understandable for Songkran.

I'll post a full review soon.

Thanks for the feedback, I should try Marriott Surawong at some point.

Regarding pricing at SGS, based on my records the base room goes for something between 4.5k to 5.5k THB more than 90% of the time. It is not often below 4.5k or above 5.5k.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:12 am

Thanks for the feedback, I should try Marriott Surawong at some point.

Regarding pricing at SGS, based on my records the base room goes for something between 4.5k to 5.5k THB more than 90% of the time. It is not often below 4.5k or above 5.5k.
So, in this case, the best rate I saw at the SGS showed as ~5.5k with 4th night free, and the 4th night credit applied at check-out. You'd have to look real carefully to see it really only cost 4.1k. It might have just flown under the radar.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's consistent with my observations.

Suites have been climbing in price. A year ago, the Grand Suite was often available for under 10k THB on a cancellable rate; now it is typically12k or higher.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

Prepare to be disappointed. The hard product is average, The pool overcrowded and not particularly conducive to actual swimming, the breakfast is good but not significantly better than many others. People rave about the service but I really dont even understand what that means, all the hotels if I need something I ask and am rarely disappointed. It is a good hotel but so are the others around Bangkok, it has easy access to the BTS and so have several others and it is convenient to Terminal 21. Worth staying there but there are many options and usually better value elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.