Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Srisarin
.... but I wouldn’t recommend staying along the river unless you feel the need to wear a coat and tie to get coffee in the morning ....
What plane of existence do you live on?

And illegitimate data shall in my sole option be challenged.

Fake news, again.
:facepalm: The only fake news in here is that which emanates from your ludicrous postings.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
While I agree that the Grand Palace area (reopening next month) should be visited via the tourist express boat it’s an easy 4 -stop SkyTrain ride from Rajadamri to Taksin Bridge to catch the boat, but I wouldn’t recommend staying along the river unless you feel the need to wear a coat and tie to get coffee in the morning or want to find a restaurant for dinner as Charon Krung is more of a business district along with a few bad street food places while the Rajaprasong area offers anything and everything desired.
A coat and tie to get coffee in the morning? Whatever are you talking about...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
I have a client who loves to stay at the Oriental.
Try getting into Sala with flip flops or Normandie without a jacket (one will be handed to you).
Walk around the Renaissance or Courtyard area with shorts and flip flops vrs being totally out of place at the MO.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
A coat and tie to get coffee in the morning? Whatever are you talking about...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Google map distances are once again inaccurate.

Although you can walk from the Renaissance thru Maneeya Plaza, one does not arrive at the Chitlom BTS station but only at the SkyWalk which leads past Central Chitlom and finally getting to the station (so double your numbers).

I’ve walked the CY to Rajadamri BTS station over 1000 times (although I go the back way via the 7-11 Soi, where I live for over 15 years) to get to Rajadamri BTS. You can use the St Regis lift instead of walking up the stairs, or once operational the newly installed lift or go up to Soi 3 where there’s an escalator) and I doubt the distance is more then 250M otherwise I’d need O2 !

As to your comment of stopping off at the Erawan Shrine when leaving the Ren for Chitlom Sta, the Shrine is to the left while the station is in the opposite direction. Perhaps you meant Central World via Gaysorn.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Your analysis is spot on. As long as you know the CL is good but not as great, the rooms as smaller and the walk to the BTS is farther, you are good to go. The walk to the BTS isn't horrible, nor as bad as the Marquis walk because from the CY there are good sidewalks. The price differential is enough to make it worth your while. As was mentioned above, the MoMo breakfast is better than the lounge breakfast at the Ren.

IMO, not by a long shot. From the Ren, you walk the distance of a small building and you are at the BTS stop. You can actually walk into the building next door and stay inside until you are at the station, using an escalator or elevator in the building to avoid the BTS steps. From the CY, you need to walk down the alley quite a bit before making a right turn, walking a slightly longer distance than you would from the Ren and then make a right, walk a bit before going up the steps to the BTS station. It's all outside and you have to walk the steps. The Ren is between the CY and the Sukhumvit BTS line, so the Ren is closer. The CY shows as a 650 meter walk on Google maps. The Ren comes in at 190. My personal experience is these are very different walks. The Ratchadamri Station on the other line is 500 meters from the CY.

The tuk-tuks help, but getting back to the CY requires good timing and some luck.

If you do walk to ChitLom from the Ren, be sure to dart into Erawan Shrine. And should you need anything, there is a small upscale supermarket in the building/mall basement behind Erawan Shrine.

Last edited by Srisarin; Oct 16, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:51 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
While I agree that the Grand Palace area (reopening next month) should be visited via the tourist express boat it’s an easy 4 -stop SkyTrain ride from Rajadamri to Taksin Bridge to catch the boat, but I wouldn’t recommend staying along the river unless you feel the need to wear a coat and tie to get coffee in the morning or want to find a restaurant for dinner as Charon Krung is more of a business district along with a few bad street food places while the Rajaprasong area offers anything and everything desired.

And taxis out of the congested river hotel area to even go up to Patpong for night market is a pain due to the traffic and refusal to turn on their meters.
Apparently, you don't know the Bangkok that I know ... what I'm talking about is not the Grand Palace area. Please don't confuse the locations - the hotels I mentioned are nowhere close to the Grand Palace but a boat ride away. A coat and tie to get coffee in the morning? Really? Even Le Normandie French Restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel (which doesn't serve breakfast BTW) did not require me to wear a jacket. Charoen Krung and Chinatown areas are very down to earth and popular and full of street vendors, restaurants, cafes, and bakeries. Try the following:

- Green Curry with Thai-style Roti at the Kallaprapruk Royal Thai Cuisine which also has a food store and a bakery.
- Panlee Bakery at 1337 Charoen Krung Rd, where we had Chinese pork buns and other baked goods.
- Issan meal of crispy catfish, somtam, and other delicious dishes on the Thonburi side of Bangkok next to the Peninsula at Tum Rod Sab.
- Kari Lava over boiled egg at a Muslim Restaurant, 340/6 Si Lom, Khet Bang Rak, behind the Oriental
- Flavorful traditional roasted duck over rice at a Chinese-Thai restaurant Charoen Wiang Pochana Thanon Charoen Wiang, Bangrak

These are just a few. There is Klong San market, a huge street market attached to the Millennium Hilton extending from Khlong San pier to Charoen Nakhon Rd. This market is loaded with popular eatries and street food vendors. There is also the Jam Factory Restaurant further 2-minutes walk. Another street market with food vendors located between the ROS and River City shopping mall across the river.

Lunch with colleagues in September 2006 (when the tanks were rolling down the streets of Bangkok) at the Le Normandie French Restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel - do you see a jacket!

Kalpapruek Restaurant & Bakery (owned by the royal family) - January 2012

Panlee Bakery - January 2012

Yum Rod Sab Issan food next to the Peninsula - January 2012

Kari Lava at the Muslim Restaurant - January 2012

Roasted duck over rice at Charoen Wiang Pochana - January 2012

Down to earth owner, Charoen Wiang Pochana - January 2012

River City shopping mall next the highrise ROS - January 2012

Kalboz Jr. having breakfast by the river - Millennium Hilton December 2016

View of riverside Bangkok from our suite - Millennium Hilton - December 2016

Mrs. Kalboz & her sister buying Somtam at Klong San market next to the Millennium Hilton - January 2017
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Apparently, you don't know the Bangkok that I know ...
I'm going to respectfully disagree about staying on the river. I did stay at the Marriott there back in the day, now the Anantara, and found the transportation to be clumsy and time consuming. But the reason I'm posting is because, as always, I really like your pics, this time especially the one of your kid, especially the other kid in the pic alone at the table with another table looking at him. Even your food pics make me smile.

Again, there are so many good choices...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended

You're correct. I don't know your Bangkok as I am not the occasional tourist, but a 25 year permanent resident who first came to the City of Angels 50 years ago and seen the city change dramatically.

Except for the JW Steakhouse for prime rib, Man Ho for Peking duck with XO sauce or lunch at CY where I'm treated like Norm I don't go to hotel restaurants as you seem to enjoy. (I do however go to a French Rest recommended by the staff of the French Embassy which is literally impossible to find unless you know someone).

And street food has been significantly cut by the Governor's order so the places you recommend are likely no longer in business.

I'm sure Normandie has a published dress code, although Thais are so non confrontational they may choose not enforce it with long noses (farangs), but doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But, in the end, enjoy your Bangkok as I enjoy mine

Apparently, you don't know the Bangkok that I know ...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I'm going to respectfully disagree about staying on the river. I did stay at the Marriott there back in the day, now the Anantara, and found the transportation to be clumsy and time consuming. But the reason I'm posting is because, as always, I really like your pics, this time especially the one of your kid, especially the other kid in the pic alone at the table with another table looking at him. Even your food pics make me smile.

Again, there are so many good choices...
Thank you for the kind words, kid's photo meant to show that no tux is required to have breakfast!

Agreed, there are so many good choices, but, again, you are confusing the area of the river I mentioned. The Bangkok Anantara (the former Marriott) is about 3 miles south of Saphan Taksin. I am talking about a mile or so north of Saphan Taksin which it takes 6 minutes by boat that leave Saphan Taksin every 20 minutes. Hotel boats are on schedule and you can time yourself to depart with them on time. Hardly time consuming as much as the walk from FS Marriott Sukhumvit 57 to Thonglor BTS station crossing that horrible Soi 55 intersection with its chaotic traffic signals (safety hazard).

Here is the bottom line, if the OP wants a chaotic stay, then Sukhumvit and its sleazy scenes is in order. Otherwise, stay by the river for glorious majestic stay!

The Sheraton (ROS) boat - note the Hilton across the river.

Abroad the Hilton boat just passing under Saphan Taksin
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:40 pm

You're correct. I don't know your Bangkok as I am not the occasional tourist, but a 25 year permanent resident who first came to the City of Angels 50 years ago and seen the city change dramatically.

Except for the JW Steakhouse for prime rib, Man Ho for Peking duck with XO sauce or lunch at CY where I'm treated like Norm I don't go to hotel restaurants as you seem to enjoy. (I do however go to a French Rest recommended by the staff of the French Embassy which is literally impossible to find unless you know someone).

And street food has been significantly cut by the Governor's order so the places you recommend are likely no longer in business.

I'm sure Normandie has a published dress code, although Thais are so non confrontational they may choose not enforce it with long noses (farangs), but doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But, in the end, enjoy your Bangkok as I enjoy mine
Good for you, I do enjoy my Bangkok immensely thank you! But it's a pure assumption that I am "the occasional tourist", not that there is anything wrong with occasional tourists. The OP, however, is on his first visit to Bangkok and asked for assistance. You offered the wrong information (1- The riverside Hilton & ROS are same area as the Grand Palace. 2- that they need a formal attire to dine at the riverside area) and I corrected the record. You seem upset and resorting to unnecessary personal attacks. FYI, I was told that I was handsome and tidy and did not need a jacket at Le Normandie. So, the bottom line is if you are chic, polite, respectful and with a smile, you will be treated with graciousness and pleasantries.

Eating breakfast in a hotel as part of my benefits is hardly "seem to enjoy hotel restaurants" even though some Bangkok hotels do offer good food. Good food can be had anywhere including Foodland on Suk Soi 5 or Big C Ratchadamri. Not a long-nosed nor a confrontational person, I have enjoyed my meals at Plaza Athenee Reflexions and Le Beaulieu (currently closed). NY Steakhouse at the JWM was great when managed by Khun George (or Robert before that) with personable service but now there are many steakhouses that offer the same or better quality chops and service. Prime at the Millennium Hilton offers the same concept and was developed by the same restaurateur as the NY Steakhouse. I usually enjoy my Thai food in the side sois of Banglamphu (thanon Tanao area). OP should avoid pretentious places like Bo.Lan and Soul Food Mahanakorn due to short visit as you will need a reservation.

Beefsteak Tomato Salad at the New York Steakhouse, JWM - July 2009

At Chote Chitr (same location since the early 1900s) - Namphrik platu (fried short-bodied mackerel and shrimp paste-based dip) with cha-om omelet. December 2010.

* There is a reason why I place dates under my photos: to alert viewers about how long it has been since the snap just in case these places are closed or have moved which seems like a common occurrence in Thailand.

Assisting other travelers is "the icing on the cake" here, the subject matter of this website is travel, a fun and an enriching activity ... I will leave it at that and look forward to learn from your experiences!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:16 am
Suspended

must be nice coming to Thailand and staying in a tourist cacoon but to set the record straight

(1) you are confusing me with another poster who was talking about the location of the ROS & Hilton relative to the Grand Palace

(2) the non existent dress code at the Normandie is easily read -
https://www.mandarinoriental.com/ban...e/le-normandie
and again, just because non confrontational Thais don't enforce it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and

(3) if you have actually experienced Thailand then you must have heard the word "farang" used - it literally translates to white man with long nose (as the first folks Thais saw long back when were French/Dutch) so there was no intent as alleged to be other then what you, and anyone else who is not Thai, are termed here but again, you would know this if you weren't in your tourist cacoon

Good for you, I do enjoy my Bangkok immensely thank you! But it's a pure assumption that I am "the occasional tourist", not that there is anything wrong with occasional tourists. The OP, however, is on his first visit to Bangkok and asked for assistance. You offered the wrong information (1- The riverside Hilton & ROS are same area as the Grand Palace. 2- that they need a formal attire to dine at the riverside area) and I corrected the record. You seem upset and resorting to unnecessary personal attacks. FYI, I was told that I was handsome and tidy and did not need a jacket at Le Normandie. So, the bottom line is if you are chic, polite, respectful and with a smile, you will be treated with graciousness and pleasantries.

Eating breakfast in a hotel as part of my benefits is hardly "seem to enjoy hotel restaurants" even though some Bangkok hotels do offer good food. Good food can be had anywhere including Foodland on Suk Soi 5 or Big C Ratchadamri. Not a long-nosed nor a confrontational person, I have enjoyed my meals at Plaza Athenee Reflexions and Le Beaulieu (currently closed). NY Steakhouse at the JWM was great when managed by Khun George (or Robert before that) with personable service but now there are many steakhouses that offer the same or better quality chops and service. Prime at the Millennium Hilton offers the same concept and was developed by the same restaurateur as the NY Steakhouse. I usually enjoy my Thai food in the side sois of Banglamphu (thanon Tanao area). OP should avoid pretentious places like Bo.Lan and Soul Food Mahanakorn due to short visit as you will need a reservation.

Beefsteak Tomato Salad at the New York Steakhouse, JWM - July 2009

At Chote Chitr (same location since the early 1900s) - Namphrik platu (fried short-bodied mackerel and shrimp paste-based dip) with cha-om omelet. December 2010.

* There is a reason why I place dates under my photos: to alert viewers about how long it has been since the snap just in case these places are closed or have moved which seems like a common occurrence in Thailand.

Assisting other travelers is "the icing on the cake" here, the subject matter of this website is travel, a fun and an enriching activity ... I will leave it at that and look forward to learn from your experiences!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:10 am

must be nice coming to Thailand and staying in a tourist cacoon but to set the record straight

(1) you are confusing me with another poster who was talking about the location of the ROS & Hilton relative to the Grand Palace

(2) the non existent dress code at the Normandie is easily read -
https://www.mandarinoriental.com/ban...e/le-normandie
and again, just because non confrontational Thais don't enforce it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and

(3) if you have actually experienced Thailand then you must have heard the word "farang" used - it literally translates to white man with long nose (as the first folks Thais saw long back when were French/Dutch) so there was no intent as alleged to be other then what you, and anyone else who is not Thai, are termed here but again, you would know this if you weren't in your tourist cacoon
Get a grip! We all know what Farang means - what's the big deal! Here is what you said:

but I wouldn’t recommend staying along the river unless you feel the need to wear a coat and tie to get coffee in the morning or want to find a restaurant for dinner as Charon Krung is more of a business district along with a few bad street food places
So, you think Ratchadamri is the real center of Bangkok, really? And you call me "staying in a tourist cocoon", ha! Charming Bangrak, Chinatown, Charoen Krung, Ratanakosin, and Banglamphu are where the real historic Bangkok is located. There are many other neighborhoods, but Ratchaprasong, Sukhumvit and their outlines are where you will find most of the expats and tourists in their cocoons, a fake Bangkok of sorts.

As I replied earlier, if the OP wants a chaotic stay, then Sukhumvit and its atypical scenes is in order. Otherwise, stay by the river for a fantastic stay!

Once home to the legations and business houses of most European powers, Charoen Krung lost its role as the centre of European commerce and diplomacy in the 1950s. Now just the French and Portuguese embassies remain on their original sites on the riverbank, both delightful colonial structures with arches, louvred shutters, and shady upper balconies. The Hong Kong & Shanghai and Chartered Banks each had their original offices here in the consular and residential European area with its verandahed houses, flagstaffs, tennis lawns and flowering trees which has long vanished. What Somerset Maugham described as the 'trim, green, old fashioned and dignified British legation' is now the site of the squat Central Post Office, its roof bristling with antennae.

One vestige of the commercial past is the handsome building of the venerable East Asiatic Company on the riverbank. Next is the Assumption Cathedral built in 1910 to replace an original structure dating from around 1820. The East Asiatic was formed by Dane Captain HN Andersen in 1884, and for a time he also owned the Oriental Hotel that lies next door.

The Oriental first opened its doors in 1876 on the site of a guest house that had burnt down in 1865. The old wing seen today was built 11 years later when Andersen opened the 'new' Oriental. Designed by an Italian architect, it boasted "forty commodious and well furnished" rooms in 1887. It was then the city's finest hostelry and so it remains today gaining the title "Best Hotel in the World" in 1980 and holding it for a decade.

It was once the only hotel with a riverside location but several others have recently joined it. The Shangri-La was completed in 1986 and the Royal Orchid Sheraton soon after. Further downstream is the Menam and across the River the Sofitel Riverside. None can match the Oriental for its historical romance and air of quality or its guest list which over the century has included Joseph Conrad, James A Michener, Gore Vidal, Noel Coward, and Somerset Maugham to mention but a few. There is indeed a distinct literary flavour to Oriental with its Authors Wing featuring suites named after famous writers.

The Royal Orchid Hotel is linked to a shopping complex called River City. This is the modern centre for the city's antique trade with and abundance of stores and regular antique auctions are held here. In the shadow of river City lie the Assumption Church and the Old Moslem Cemetery.

East along Charoen Krung, past the Sathorn intersection, lies Wat Yannawa with its unique building in the form of a Chinese junk. It was built by King Rama 3 to remind the people that the prosperity of the city originated in commerce. During the reign of King Rama 1 the bulk of state revenue came from junk trade with China, but by King Rama 3's time, trade was increasingly dominated by Western steamships. The temple is popular with Chinese residents of the district.

Despite the new road, Bangkok was still very much a city built on water. As Charles Buls, world traveller and former mayor of Brussels could write on a visit in 1900, "Thousands of small boats circulate in all directions, loaded with fruits, vegetables, betel nuts, and pink lime. Ferries transport bare-chested passengers, from bank to bank. Busy steamers bring pale Chinese merchants to their offices. The floating houses have become stores and display their wares toward the river. Light gondolas, a standing oarsman at the rear, just as in Venice, bring buyers."

The river was the only source of water until 1914. At the Protestant Cemetery on Charoen Krung, the headstones speak of other perils. "John Adams, only son of John Adams Esquire, born in London in 1859, died suddenly of heat apoplexy in Bangkok on 13 April 1891, aged 32 years.".

Charoen Krung remained Bangkok's longest street until the 1930s but by that time the city was spreading north away from the river. Meanwhile, as the Europeans established their base around Charoen Krung, the ascension to the throne of King Mongkut's son King Chulalongkorn heralded the transformation of another part of the city fringing the royal quarter. The area was named Dusit, meaning heaven in Buddhist mythology.

The old customs house - on the river banks Charoen Krung area

East Asiatic Company next to the Oriental Hotel

Assumption Cathedral close to State Tower

The old French Embassy

The historic Portuguese Embassy - ROS guests are allowed to use its swimming pool

The historic Siam Commercial Bank at Talad Noi 5-minutes walk from the ROS: Italian architect, Annibale Rigotti (1870 – 1968) designed this Bank at Talad Noi on the banks of the Chao Phraya just next to the Holy Rosary Church, Samphanthawong, the old quarter of Bangkok. The construction lasted from 1906 – 1910.

The Protestant Cemetery:

Banglamphu District
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:13 am
Suspended

Further fake posts (since you went 0-3 on the previous one) as I never stated anything about Rajadamri being the center of Bangkok, which has over 30 districts with claims to be the center by many of them.

Note - the Land Department considers Rajaprasong the CBD for purposes of tax imposition.

But that being said, to get around the city using SkyTrain (BTS) to avoid our horrendous traffic, one might say that the interchange BTS at Siam would be a good place to be called the center (I bought Rajadamri because I could easily get to either/both the Silom and Sukhumvit lines as I won’t drive in central Bangkok) and anyone coming to Bangkok for only a few days who doesn’t want to get caught in the traffic to get around would prudently opt for a property near to BTS.

As for your examples of sights to see, while I assume you’ll find 1 out of a 1000 opting for your choices the other 999 will be going elsewhere.

So, you think Ratchadamri is the real center of Bangkok, really? And you call me "staying in a tourist cocoon", ha! Charming Bangrak, Chinatown, Charoen Krung, Ratanakosin, and Banglamphu are where the real historic Bangkok is located. There are many other neighborhoods, but Ratchaprasong, Sukhumvit and their outlines are where you will find most of the expats and tourists in their cocoons, a fake Bangkok of sorts.

As I replied earlier, if the OP wants a chaotic stay, then Sukhumvit and its atypical scenes is in order. Otherwise, stay by the river for a fantastic stay!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Your analysis is spot on. As long as you know the CL is good but not as great, the rooms as smaller and the walk to the BTS is farther, you are good to go. The walk to the BTS isn't horrible, nor as bad as the Marquis walk because from the CY there are good sidewalks. The price differential is enough to make it worth your while. As was mentioned above, the MoMo breakfast is better than the lounge breakfast at the Ren.
Very helpful, thank you. I'm feeling better about my CY choice now, as breakfast is the one benefit I care the most about for this stay.

I was a little concerned about the location, but it seems like its less than a 10 min walk to the BTS. I'm more likely to walk long distances than use transportation when I travel. Realizing that Bangkok weather may not cooperate, a short walk seems like a good compromise.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Keep in mind that sidewalks are very crowded in BKK. A walk of a few blocks can take quite a bit longer than you think.

As to where to stay, lets have an honest moment. If you're going to Bangkok for partying and women, you'll want to stay somewhere along Sukhumvit. There are a variety of Marriott and Starwood properties over a 3.5 mile stretch of the street. Pick a property that's close to where you want to go and/or close to the Skytrain and/or the MRT.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by JBord
Very helpful, thank you. I'm feeling better about my CY choice now, as breakfast is the one benefit I care the most about for this stay.

I was a little concerned about the location, but it seems like its less than a 10 min walk to the BTS. I'm more likely to walk long distances than use transportation when I travel. Realizing that Bangkok weather may not cooperate, a short walk seems like a good compromise.
The walk isn't bad, even in the hottest months. One time I had a cell phone issue and walked to Siam Paragon to get it fixed. That walk wasn't bad or long, either. The Ren and JW have easy access to the SkyWalk, although you do have to walk a bit on Sukhumvit to get there, including through the dirty underpass. Them SkyWalk is covered and away from traffic, but the CY walk isn't terrible by any means.

The CY is an excellent choice. As I previously posted, the biggest problem with hotels in Bangkok is there are so many good choices. It's hard to call any choice the best. You'll enjoy whichever property you wind up staying in.

Originally Posted by catocony
Keep in mind that sidewalks are very crowded in BKK. A walk of a few blocks can take quite a bit longer than you think.

As to where to stay, lets have an honest moment. If you're going to Bangkok for partying and women, you'll want to stay somewhere along Sukhumvit. There are a variety of Marriott and Starwood properties over a 3.5 mile stretch of the street. Pick a property that's close to where you want to go and/or close to the Skytrain and/or the MRT.
While your statements about Sukhumvit may be accurate, and the term "honest moment" is awesome, I am a fan of the Sukhumvit area and I definitely am not going to Bangkok for women. Trust me on that. I'm more the type who would avoid an area to make sure I wouldn't accidentally see a naked woman. Need I be more specific?

BTW, if you are looking for the male version of that part of Bangkok, you might consider the LM on Silom. It is steps from those partying areas. Not my favorite hotel, nor do they have a CL, and the walk to the BTS requires going through some seedier areas, but it's within the thick of that scene.

As for sidewalks, while you are correct, it should be noted that the sidewalks you use from the CY to the BTS are very wide, well repaired and relatively lightly used by Bangkok standards. And have virtually no parked motorbikes. While you may need to walk on the alley where the CY is actually located, it is also relatively lightly traveled.
Kalboz and happygolucky_nomad like this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Oct 17, 2017 at 5:52 pm Reason: Clarified JW is not directly on the SkyWalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.