Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queens Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Mridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Mridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:10 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm assuming exec lounge at both properties are open daily, but if you could confirm I can update the date in the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Yes indeed, both open ... even have photos for hours of operations!

Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:29 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Just a heads up: I stayed in the Bangkok Ren last night. While this is one of my favorite hotels, the construction next door starts at 7:30 am, even on Sunday. The noise is noticeable, but not ear shattering. If you are a light sleeper and want to sleep in, you might want to avoid this hotel for right now.

I'm at the FS now. At first blush it's a very nice hotel, although I do prefer the JW/Ren/CY location. Maybe I'll change my mind during the week. Will post more later. If anyone wants to know anything about this hotel, let me know and I can ask. I was upgraded to a high floor two room suite. It appears almost half the rooms are these suites. The CL is very nice, like the Ren, but not at the same level as the spectacular JW.

My hotel split was unintentional. On my ATL-ICN leg, I realized my flight got into BKK on Sat, not Sun, and I didn't have a hotel reservation. There is no WiFi on the A380, so I panicked until we landed. During the one hour layover, I quickly ran to the Prestige Lounge and took the first thing that popped up on the Marriott site. The FS was not available for the extra night. I guess that's why one shouldn't decide to go to Asia on one day's notice.
YMMV--I am at the Ren right now -- have been for two nights--in an end corner room butted right up against the construction site and have heard very little noise day or night--certainly not disturbing. In fact I have been in the room all morning and have heard virtually nothing.

This is my 16th stay here over two + years and the high rise construction next door has been going on the entire time. Has never been a problem for me, but fair enough to give the warning to those who might be unaware.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dfe
This is my 16th stay here over two + years and the high rise construction next door has been going on the entire time. Has never been a problem for me, but fair enough to give the warning to those who might be unaware.
My advice might have been slightly off the mark. When I was there in March, the construction was active, but I did not notice it as much as I did this time. My assumption was the construction had been slowed at that time because of the protests or they were just at a noisier phase now. Now I'm thinking it might be something different.....

In March, I was on the same floor as the CL, facing away from BTS, on the side of the hotel. This time, I was on the 12th floor, in a corner room, with the crane a couple feet outside the window. What floor are you on? Might it be that people should be advised that higher floors are a good idea right now? Obviously, you and I were there at the same time, early Sunday morning, and I definitely heard a constant sound like a hammer hitting metal, which I did not hear the last time, when I was on a higher floor. You couldn't have just slept through what I was hearing without noticing it. Helen Keller would have noticed it.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:38 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
I'm curious--how did you come to the conclusion that one-half of the rooms are full two-room suites. Of what rooms-- the whole hotel, your floor or what?

I stayed at the Marriott Suk 57 last year during the soft opening when larger rooms and suites for upgrades were still under construction and the Lounge was not open, but returned twice this year. Got a full suite on 39 on my first visit. On second visit I was assigned a room on 39 close by and assumed it was a suite only to find out that it was a standard room. Asked for an upgrade which was granted but on a different floor. If one-half of the rooms are suites I seriously doubt that they would have been unable to find a suite for me (as a PP) prior to registration.

The lounge is differentiated from the Ren by the fact that they have a cook preparing a single different hot dish each day but I think the other offerings are quite limited. IMO overall the lounge is inferior to the Ren, but to each his own.

After about 50 stays I gave up on the JW a couple of years ago for several reasons--but one the primary reasons was the boring repetitious lounge offerings night after night. If it was sliders night you knew exactly what you were going to get--sliders, quesadillas, broccoli w/cheese sauce; same with Chinese night and Japanese night over and over. Maybe they have changed, but it was enough to drive me away.

The option for breakfast buffet in the 57th Street restaurant trumps the Ren's lounge offering.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by dfe
I'm curious--how did you come to the conclusion that one-half of the rooms are full two-room suites. Of what rooms-- the whole hotel, your floor or what?
I'm on the 37th floor. The room map for the floor on the back of the door indicates 6 of 13 rooms on the floor are suites, four being corner, two-room suites. I made the assumption the floor layouts were standard up and down the floors of the hotel. Maybe they aren't, but that would mean there are some very small rooms if my room is actually two rooms on some floors. From the outside, it appears every corner has the hallway windows connecting the living room to the bathroom, and the tub window on each corner.

Originally Posted by dfe
lounge is differentiated from the Ren by the fact that they have a cook preparing a single different hot dish each day but I think the other offerings are quite limited. IMO overall the lounge is inferior to the Ren, but to each his own.
Having done the Ren and FS CLs one day after the next, my inclination was actually the opposite. There appeared to be more selections here, and the CL is a little larger. The chef is in a small island station, as opposed to behind a window at the Ren. The two CLs seem very similar, with, IMO, a slight advantage to the FS, but neither is close to the JW's CL. It's in a different league. That was my point. For those who want the best CL, the JW is the obvious choice. For anyone who wants an excellent CL, either the Ren or the FS will be fine.

Originally Posted by dfe
After about 50 stays I gave up on the JW a couple of years ago for several reasons--but one the primary reasons was the boring repetitious lounge offerings night after night. If it was sliders night you knew exactly what you were going to get--sliders, quesadillas, broccoli w/cheese sauce; same with Chinese night and Japanese night over and over. Maybe they have changed, but it was enough to drive me away.
Granted, anyone would get bored with that repetition after fifty stays, but someone making a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Bangkok will look at those offerings as fresh, and someone making that once-in-a-lifetime trip will likely avoid sliders, quesadillas, etc., and want more Asian choices. Heck, I just tried a longgen, which is my new favorite fruit. (OT: Anyone know where to get them in ATL? I've never seen them at the DeKalb Farmer's Market, where I shop weekly, but maybe I just haven't noticed them. Maybe they're over by the figs, passion fruit and berries. They're not by the Durian for sure.)

Originally Posted by dfe
The option for breakfast buffet in the 57th Street restaurant trumps the Ren's lounge offering.
For those willing to pay for the buffet in the 57th Street restaurant it is a viable option, but even at 20% off for Plats, it's pricey. I was at the Ren when the CL was not serving breakfast and Plats were given complimentary access to the Flavours buffet. It was awesome, but I'm not sure if I'd want to fork over that much money for breakfast each day when the CL is serving a nice breakfast for free. Even when it was free, by the fourth morning, it was getting to be a little much. Perhaps doing the breakfast buffet once a stay would be a viable option, but I cannot see most people wanting to pay for all that each day.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:28 am
dfe
In memoriam

My advice might have been slightly off the mark. When I was there in March, the construction was active, but I did not notice it as much as I did this time. My assumption was the construction had been slowed at that time because of the protests or they were just at a noisier phase now. Now I'm thinking it might be something different.....

In March, I was on the same floor as the CL, facing away from BTS, on the side of the hotel. This time, I was on the 12th floor, in a corner room, with the crane a couple feet outside the window. What floor are you on? Might it be that people should be advised that higher floors are a good idea right now? Obviously, you and I were there at the same time, early Sunday morning, and I definitely heard a constant sound like a hammer hitting metal, which I did not hear the last time, when I was on a higher floor. You couldn't have just slept through what I was hearing without noticing it. Helen Keller would have noticed it.
I'm on 17, and as I said in a corner room facing two sides of construction, probably just like your room. Like you the top boom of one crane is right outside my window, but the crane itself makes absolutely no noise and all the the construction on that part of the project is at ground level. On both days (and today inside the room all day) I have heard only a little bit of noise--certainly nothing at all disturbing. The project is at full bore and swarming with workers, but I simply have not experienced any disturbing noise. I think that the Ren is pretty well insulated. In fact I spoke with the Rooms Manager in the lounge this evening and he said that they have had virtually no complaints about construction noise. Construction is now at about 25 stories out of 55 on the front phase. Don't know what the back phase will be since it is still at about ground level. In any event construction will continue for some time.

As I said YMMV--but fair warning. If one is at all concerned probably best to ask for a room away from the construction, but I have never found that necessary.

Oh well enough of this.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by dfe
As I said YMMV--but fair warning. If one is at all concerned probably best to ask for a room away from the construction, but I have never found that necessary.
I will freely admit to being more sound sensitive than most, but not all. Absolutely, for those that aren't the Princess with a Pea, the slight noise is offset by the fact the Ren is presently much less expensive than the JW or FS.

Now if the rain and lightening would only let up, I could head out and stop reading and posting on FT and FB!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:43 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
The club lounge at both properties (Suk 57 & the Renaissance) are comparable and neither is inferior by any mean in comparison to the other or any other Bangkok property in terms of F&B offerings. The Renaissance lounge can also make you hot egg and other dishes to order (such as fried rice) during breakfast.

However, the atmosphere is brighter at the much higher lounge at Suk 57 (I believe 40th floor vs. 21st at the Ren?) with white marble throughout rather than that grim black rubber look of the Renaissance (which is already worn out an looks like tires were cut-up and plastered on the walls!!!).

Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
... The two CLs seem very similar, with, IMO, a slight advantage to the FS, but neither is close to the JW's CL. It's in a different league.

Granted, anyone would get bored with that repetition after fifty stays, but someone making a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Bangkok will look at those offerings as fresh, and someone making that once-in-a-lifetime trip will likely avoid sliders, quesadillas, etc., and want more Asian choices. Heck, I just tried a longgen, which is my new favorite fruit.
In your opnion what puts the JW CL in a different league ?

With the construction going on , wonder if I need to switch from REN to JW
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by windwalker
In your opnion what puts the JW CL in a different league ?

With the construction going on , wonder if I need to switch from REN to JW
Let's start by saying each is entitle to his/her own opinion....

The JW CL is enormous. There is a main seating area, with very comfortable chairs and a long bench with huge pillows. There is another seating area in the hallway just outside this room and outdoor seating on a deck. There is an island with chefs working in the middle preparing fresh entrees. There are more attendants. Just outside the front door, there are a couple desks with actual Concierges making whatever arrangements you need. The other hotels are much smaller CLs, although both are large by US standards. Both have many food options, but not quite as much as the JW. At the other two, the servers double as the people helping you at the desk.

BTW, I like the rooms at the Ren and FS better, and have been upgraded consistently at both. I have not been upgraded at the JW, beyond having a CL level room. (I got a corner room at the Ren this time, not a suite, but I made my reservation at six in the evening, after rooms had likely been assigned for the night.)

With that said, it's a little harder to get to the BTS from the JW. The shortest walk is under a pretty messy highway underpass. It's not on the SkyWalk. It's one stop over on the BTS, and you cannot access the BTS without walking outside the entire way. It is, though, relatively easy access.

The JW lobby is a little larger and a little grander. It is next to a small complex, connected by a covered bridge, that has a few inexpensive, good restaurants and a supermarket, which is nice.

The FS is beautiful. The service is impeccable. I'm not sold on the location, but I like the bustling, touristy area. Not everyone does. If you are looking for a more laid back area that is more Thai than touristy, the FS is a winner for you. It is close to a BTS station, but you do have to cross one wicked busy intersection by walking into the middle, standing on an island while cars and scooters whiz by within inches until you can navigate the other half of the crosswalk. At no point do cars stop in both directions allowing you to cross the entire street at once. There is no pedestrian walk signal.

Putting the construction at the Ren to the side, I'd choose whichever of the three properties is cheapest. Each has plusses and minuses. I'm on points this week. The FS was 80k, while the other two were 120k, so I'm at the FS. If I were paying out of pocket, I'd likely be at the Ren. It's got the lowest rate this week. All three are excellent hotels. If any were in Pittsburgh, Dallas, Chicago or LA it would be, hands down, my favorite hotel in that city.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Originally Posted by dfe

I've been staying since 2011 and the nights were so predictable! But there might be hope! On a visit last month there was a BBQ night with steak and they were making an evening cocktail which was tasty. I don't recall either of these before but I didn't get a quesadilla night which was my fave!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ellie_nz
I've been staying since 2011 and the nights were so predictable! But there might be hope! On a visit last month there was a BBQ night with steak and they were making an evening cocktail which was tasty. I don't recall either of these before but I didn't get a quesadilla night which was my fave!
They started the Wednesday night BBQ a couple of months ago. I think it is pretty good, and they generally have senior staff wandering around that night to interact with the guests.

The nightly cocktail is a neat idea and they used to have a special Sunday brunch cocktail. Agree that the food offerings can get repetitious, but as someone pointed out, the number of guests that are there frequently enough to notice is probably quite a small proportion of the overall number of guests.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
I am pleased the Wednesday BBQ is back on at the JW. I was there when they did the first one last year. It is a welcome change to the usual samples from the inhouse restaurants plus a good chance to chat with some of the managers.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I am pleased the Wednesday BBQ is back on at the JW. I was there when they did the first one last year. It is a welcome change to the usual samples from the inhouse restaurants plus a good chance to chat with some of the managers.
I'm here right now...

IMG_0069

I've stayed at the Ren and Suk 57. The JW evening lounge has superior food in my opinion. The fact that there is someone cooking right in front of you is a nice plus. Just now the server asked the chef/cook to keep my beef a little longer on the grill because I wanted medium well instead of medium rare. Not often will you see that in a lounge.

Will
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Checked in this morning to the 57
VERY nice, received a corner room, 3209
Lounge is very nice, we ate/drank out fill

Can anyone recommend a nice resturant within walking distance?
prefer Thai

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.