Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by catocony
From my BKK experiences, the restaurants have some more options but lot more kids and families milling around. If the lounge breakfast - omelet stations, pancakes, half a dozen hot dishes, a half dozen cold dishes, Thai breakfast food (which looks like Thai lunch and dinner food to me but I digress), a wide variety of cereals, fruits, breads and drinks is a forced march, then sign me up. At least at the Marriott props, I think the lounges are the better option for breakfast over the restaurants, and I usually do have a choice of the two.
And in my experience if there is anything downstairs but not in the CL they will bring it up for you. I once asked if there was nova, was told no, said thanks for the answer and five minutes later it was brought to my table without my asking for it. That was the Soi 57 property. Another time the Marquis did not have the Thai Schweppes Lime soda but after I inquired it also appeared.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 3:29 am Reason: Removed personal attack FT Rule 12.2
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
I appreciate that. This is just a further chapter in the "lounge vs. restaurant breakfast" debate, which depends on personal preference and will never be conclusively resolved
If you're staying in a Starwood prop, just take the breakfast option. 1,000 points is not much these days, valued at less than US$10.00. If you want that instead of restaurant breakfasts for a duration of your stay, then take the points. Otherwise, just take the breakfast, which is the logical choice.

Starwood guys complaining about losing out on a few points is really silly. Unless you value the restaurant breakfast at less than 50 cents US or something, there isn't much of a decision to make.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Which hotels have switched to points *or* breakfast in Bangkok? I know Le Meridien has because that's primarily where I stay. The St. Regis always did have this policy IIRC so no change there.

The hotels with lounges will always have and continue to give an adequate if not lavish breakfast in the lounge plus points.

So, which hotels in Bangkok have actually downgraded their Platinum treatment for breakfast apart from LeM? If they are an outlier and enough of us point this out to their friendly management then they may revert the policy because it's clearly discretionary based on evidence elsewhere. If we get this overturned then the Sheraton Hua Hin's hostile actions can be our next target.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Which hotels have switched to points *or* breakfast in Bangkok? I know Le Meridien has because that's primarily where I stay. The St. Regis always did have this policy IIRC so no change there.

The hotels with lounges will always have and continue to give an adequate if not lavish breakfast in the lounge plus points.

So, which hotels in Bangkok have actually downgraded their Platinum treatment for breakfast apart from LeM? If they are an outlier and enough of us point this out to their friendly management then they may revert the policy because it's clearly discretionary based on evidence elsewhere. If we get this overturned then the Sheraton Hua Hin's hostile actions can be our next target.
I would love it if we either kept the wiki in this thread going while adding Marriott properties or start fresh with a new thread!

Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012

Wonder if @barelyelite is up for the challenge!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kacee
At three different venues, no less (four on weekends).
What's the fourth on weekends?

Which hotels have switched to points *or* breakfast in Bangkok? I know Le Meridien has because that's primarily where I stay.
That's disappointing....
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's disappointing....
True but they have introduced soft drinks and cake in the afternoon for Platinums. Talking to them, I got the impression they thought they *had* to offer points *or* breakfast after August 18 so introduced the afternoon tea as a sweetener. In fact, there's enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that hotels still have broad discretion to improve on the basics of status recognition where desirable because of local competition - which is absolutely the case in Bangkok - or just because they want to attract guests with status who book direct. In the meantime, the cash value of the 1000 points compared to two lavish breakfasts a day with sparkling wine for the duration of your stay at LeM is so wide that the decision isn't really much of one no matter how irksome.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have removed a number of off-topic and very snarky posts from several posters. Please, before posting, read your text and if it doesn't directly refer to the topic at hand, then don't post it. If you don't like something someone else posted, don't respond to it. If you feel a post is breaking a FlyerTalk rule, then use the RBP button to notify one of the moderators.

Chip (hhoope01)
Co-Moderator Marriott/Starwood/RC forum

Last edited by hhoope01; Dec 4, 2018 at 9:13 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:08 pm

True but they have introduced soft drinks and cake in the afternoon for Platinums. Talking to them, I got the impression they thought they *had* to offer points *or* breakfast after August 18 so introduced the afternoon tea as a sweetener. In fact, there's enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that hotels still have broad discretion to improve on the basics of status recognition where desirable because of local competition - which is absolutely the case in Bangkok - or just because they want to attract guests with status who book direct. In the meantime, the cash value of the 1000 points compared to two lavish breakfasts a day with sparkling wine for the duration of your stay at LeM is so wide that the decision isn't really much of one no matter how irksome.
A hotel can always go above the minimum, although some properties will say they can't. A lot of complaints about lounges and bennies come after you stay at some properties that go above and beyond the mandatory offerings, then you stay at a place that just does the minimum. It can set a false expectation for most of us, which is why it is important to remember that the minimum isn't something to really complain about. That said, the Marriott properties in BKK generally go well beyond the basics. Both the Ren and Courtyard allow Plats and higher to take breakfast in either the lounge or the restaurant. That's a real nice perk IMHO, but they certainly don't have to do it, and you get your welcome points/gift on top of that.

I encourage the Starwood guys to try out some of the Marriott props. The lounges are all really good, and you could almost get away with eating only in them the whole time in BKK. Breakfasts are heavy, mid-day and afternoon tee offerings can be substantial, and the evening fare can be extensive to the point of being a full meal. Restaurants are cheap and plentiful in BKK, but good grub and an open bar in the lounge is a nice thing for those of us who are up until 2:00 - 3:00 AM most nights there. The evening stuff is really a late lunch.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Still full breakfast + points at the SGS at least...
I will be able to check this out in a few days. So far this week, at the Athenee and at the Le Meridien Surawongse, I was offered that new choice.
I have stayed at both properties many times over many years and always had suite upgrade, breakfast and points, as well as 'upgraded' complimentary garment pressing perks.
But, to be honest, I was expecting some negative changes as soon as the Marriott takeover was announced.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
It looks that Le Meridien Chiang Mai (wrong thread, I know, but it is relevant to my earlier point) still has the points AND the breakfast at the lounge (not sure if it is offered at the main restaurant, but it is usually not an attractive option at this property).

The "AND" might only works if you had been a guest prior to the change.

The W Bangkok never offered the points and the breakfast (at least to most Plat. guests ;-) ), so I'll see in a week if there is a change there.

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:40 am
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The lounges are all really good, and you could almost get away with eating only in them the whole time in BKK.
This summarises how different people appreciate different things in one sentence
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:36 am

I would add that it a convenient hotel as a base to visit Chinatown.

Additionally, the area around the hotel is kind of happening with some trendy bars and shops.

The big plus of the ROSH remains the river view.

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I find the ROS very convenient. Now, I'm not trying to tell people where to book or which hotel to like. But, I stay there a lot and want to clear up some points.

I don't like the river boats, or shuttle boats, but they are available, as discussed above.

The hotel is a 40THB taxi ride from both the MRT and the BTS.
The MRT is my preferred transit, and about 1km away at Hua Lumpong. I like it because the route there and back is relatively traffic free and they have access to Asoke without changing trains.
The closest BTS, in my opinion is at Sala Daeng, less than a km away (I do understand why some people go to Saphan Taksin).

It's not far from MBK, SIAM Square, etc. and Central World, but it's not walking distance. Now the ICON mall is across the street.

They are very close to an Expressway on ramp, but the traffic is terrible in that direction.

Taxis are a pain. It's easier to go from the ROS than it is to get to it... because the one way street that they exit onto is often jammed up. But, there is a shortcut, if you come from the train station. It requires getting out of the taxi at River City, though, about 50 meters from the hotel.

The rates at the ROS are cheaper because they have 750 rooms to sell.

Now, I don't think they are the best choice. In fact, in my stays since the merger, they seem to have gotten a bit worse. The lounge is lovely, but it's far from awesome. For me, it's the staff that make the difference!
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
That said, the Marriott properties in BKK generally go well beyond the basics. Both the Ren and Courtyard allow Plats and higher to take breakfast in either the lounge or the restaurant.
CY yes but in ~10 stays at the Ren I've been relegated only to the lounge. Occasional inquiries have been met with the same answer, "only if it's included in your room rate".
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:27 am

Many of us reported earlier this year that we were explicitly told at check-in that we could go the restaurant or lounge for breakfast. I did the restaurant one morning just to check it out, but I preferred the lounge.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I stayed at the Marriott Sukhumvit on Soi 57 last week. I was given the choice of restaurant or CL for breakfast. I preferred the CL. The choices were somewhat more extensive downstairs but the CL was FAR more relaxing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.