Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ramalama8
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area, the Patpong Night Market and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 26, 14, 6:13 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by whackyjacky View Post
4 X ? I find this hard to believe. I guess you've been exceptionally unlucky. If you don't want to throw a cheap Thai sim in your phone, keep the Ren's # with you. Your diver has a phone.
My phone runs through our company server. It's not as simple as throwing a SIM card into the phone. I work for a financial services company, with private financial information possibly contained in email files on my phone. Throwing a SIM card into my phone would violate privacy laws and the agreement I signed with my employer. They will not provide it, as there is no compelling business reason.

And yes, it happened four out of the four times I've taken cabs so far. The first time was at the airport. The second time, I was able to get the driver to the intersection Ratchadamri and Ploachit and walked from there, as the cab was on the SW corner of the intersection and couldn't easily make the right turn. The third time, the driver drove to the BTS line (Silom) followed it to Siam Station and followed the Sukumvit line to the hotel. The last time, I gave up and asked the driver to take me to the InterContinental and walked over the BTS walkway to here. Whether you find it hard to believe, it happened, and, based on my experience, appears to be the norm.
Old Mar 26, 14, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
There is a sign in the back of the cab reminding you the tolls are your responsibility and that there is a 50TB fee added to what's on the meter when traveling to/from the airport.
Mostly correct. The 50Baht is only valid FROM BKK (assuming you get a taxi downstairs at the meter stand).

Originally Posted by whackyjacky View Post
Most driver's CANNOT read a map. Show one to him and he'll just short out.
Indeed... and humorously stated.

My phone runs through our company server. It's not as simple as throwing a SIM card into the phone. I work for a financial services company, with private financial information possibly contained in email files on my phone. Throwing a SIM card into my phone would violate privacy laws and the agreement I signed with my employer. They will not provide it, as there is no compelling business reason.

And yes, it happened four out of the four times I've taken cabs so far. The first time was at the airport. The second time, I was able to get the driver to the intersection Ratchadamri and Ploachit and walked from there, as the cab was on the SW corner of the intersection and couldn't easily make the right turn. The third time, the driver drove to the BTS line (Silom) followed it to Siam Station and followed the Sukumvit line to the hotel. The last time, I gave up and asked the driver to take me to the InterContinental and walked over the BTS walkway to here. Whether you find it hard to believe, it happened, and, based on my experience, appears to be the norm.
Surely with your financial world pay you can afford a 500 Baht Nokia stupid phone and a 50 Baht SIM. Just sayin'.
Old Mar 26, 14, 7:12 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Why don't you just disable dataroaming abroad? Did you really mean you keep your phone in airplane mode during the whole trip and nobody can call you and you can't call anybody?
Old Mar 26, 14, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Surely with your financial world pay you can afford a 500 Baht Nokia stupid phone and a 50 Baht SIM. Just sayin'.
Not here on their business, and it's not one of the countries for which we are approved to use phones. And I'm not important enough to demand phone service when I'm in a foreign country that's not on the approved list.

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
Why don't you just disable dataroaming abroad? Did you really mean you keep your phone in airplane mode during the whole trip and nobody can call you and you can't call anybody?
It's just not that important to me to get calls. I lived for years without a cell phone, and actually like the fact nobody can call me. Heck, work doesn't even know where exactly I am, but they know they can reach out to my sister if need be in touch with me and email doesn't work. She can instantly get in touch with me.

ADDED: Fifth cab tonight that had never heard of the Ren and had trouble with the address. At least this one picked up his phone and called someone who gave him directions. The friend I was with said, "Marriott Renaissance" so we almost wound up way down the street.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 26, 14 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 26, 14, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
ADDED: Fifth cab tonight that had never heard of the Ren and had trouble with the address. At least this one picked up his phone and called someone who gave him directions. The friend I was with said, "Marriott Renaissance" so we almost wound up way down the street.
I suspect the problem is that you are not pronouncing "Renaissance" in a way that a Thai language speaker expects. In many countries, borrowed words take on unique sounds.

It is pronounced something like "Ray nay ong".

Maybe that might help. Easiest though is get a cheap phone, as someone else suggested.
Old Mar 27, 14, 3:29 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by tide View Post
I suspect the problem is that you are not pronouncing "Renaissance" in a way that a Thai language speaker expects. In many countries, borrowed words take on unique sounds.

It is pronounced something like "Ray nay ong".

Maybe that might help. Easiest though is get a cheap phone, as someone else suggested.
best is to say "go to Ratchaprasong", that's what they know. And even if that's a problem, "BTS Chit Lom" should do it.
Old Apr 7, 14, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Plt, AA Plt, SPG Plt, MRW Plt
Will be in Bangkok for NYE. Female going solo, wanting to stay at the nicest Marriott that is close to the train/stuff to do. Having a descent restaurant for me to ring in the new year is a huge plus. Looks like most people go Ren or JW. The photos of the Marriott with the roof bar/pool look pretty nice. Thoughts? Which should I choose...booking today
Old Apr 7, 14, 7:45 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by asundevil99 View Post
Will be in Bangkok for NYE. Female going solo, wanting to stay at the nicest Marriott that is close to the train/stuff to do. Having a descent restaurant for me to ring in the new year is a huge plus. Looks like most people go Ren or JW. The photos of the Marriott with the roof bar/pool look pretty nice. Thoughts? Which should I choose...booking today
if you go for NYE and want to spend the night at the hotel, best to go for Marriott Sukh 57, neither of the other Marriotts does come with a similar rooftop bar; though views of the fireworks will be much better from one of the riverside hotels / skybars.
Old Apr 7, 14, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asundevil99 View Post
What may be nice is to stay at the REN and then walk over to Red Sky which is on top of the Centara hotel (10 minute walk by skybridge). Red Sky usually has quite a big New Years eve party although I think it is very expensive. Alternatively as others have noted- it may be nicer to be on the river- although it is not a Marriott I think the F&B outlets and the riverfront location of the MO would make for an extremely memorable NYE in Bangkok.
Old Apr 7, 14, 11:03 am

Very good feedback...so the Sukh 57 is better for a bar scene, Ren for rooms/"luxury" feel? I am more focused on the hotel/location, it just so happens to be NYE. I don't see myself really leaving the hotel that night.
Old Apr 7, 14, 1:55 pm

I believe the Ren will be a good location for NYE. If you stay in, you can go up to the pool area and watch fireworks from there as I believe Central World has a big display each year and they should be viewable from the pool. The staff at the Ren are great and the location is very convenient for getting to the BTS or the malls.
Old Apr 7, 14, 3:38 pm

Thanks all for the feedback, just booked the Ren in Bangkok and JW in Phuket to avoid the category hike happening tomorrow.
Old May 5, 14, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Need help on which Marriott property to choose for 2 nights in Bangkok, as part of my SE Asia honeymoon trip. As a Platinum member, I'm looking for the best benefits with good location to do sightseeing. I'll be booking using points, which are about the same for the JW, Ren, and Marriott. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 6, 14, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by haahwee View Post
Need help on which Marriott property to choose for 2 nights in Bangkok, as part of my SE Asia honeymoon trip. As a Platinum member, I'm looking for the best benefits with good location to do sightseeing. I'll be booking using points, which are about the same for the JW, Ren, and Marriott. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Both the Ren and JW are terrific properties. You would be happy with either. The JW CL is spectacular. The Ren's is very good. The Ren has a slightly better location. You don't have to walk the filthy sidewalk under the overpass to get to the train. If it's raining, you can make it to the train barely having to be outside. The Ren rooms are, IMO, a little nicer, and people report getting more UGs at the Ren. As a Plat, I was on the CL floor, but in a regular room. As a PP, the Ren UGd me to a sweet suite.

All things being equal, I'd go with the Ren. But, again, both properties are awesome.

IMO, the FS is a little too far. But only a little.
Old May 6, 14, 1:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We stayed for 7 nights at the Marriott Bangkok Sukhumvit 57 in April, 6 of them were award stays. Out of the 7 nights, we were upgraded 6 nights 4 of which into a 3-bedroom apartment! As a Gold, we were given complete executive benefits of breakfast at either the 57 Cafe restaurant in the lobby or the lounge on the 40th floor. We tried the breakfast downstairs once but preferred the breakfast at lounge to avoid the crowds and have a relaxing breakfast experience. Afternoon teatime from 3 to 5 PM was great, and so was the happy hour at the lounge. Hot station at breakfast and happy hour. Hot station closed at 8 PM during happy hours though. Dessert and booze open bar remained open until 9:30 PM. I invited several FT friends to the lounge and was never nickled or dimed about their presence.

The room, oh wow, the room was amazing! 3 bedrooms & 2 1/2 bathrooms, living room, dining room, full kitchen ... etc. etc. etc. Very clean and comfortable.

Search this Thread