Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queens Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Mridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Mridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:38 am

Can someone tell me which one they prefer more: Marquis or Renaissance?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by flyerjc23
What would you recommend instead of taxi/uber then? I am planning these types of transportation as I am traveling with my mom who can't walk very far and doesn't like public transport
The Ren. Period. End of discussion. It is one building away from the BTS and you can access the train by using the escalators or elevators in the building next door. Even with the train's elevators being difficult to navigate it is still better than being in a car. Your mom will only need to take a taxi once and the BTS once to realize which is the better choice. While there may be some instances where you will need to take a taxi, when you can take the BTS you will save so much time and aggravation. If walking the length of one building is too much, not to be flippant, but maybe Bangkok is not a good destination. The sidewalks are uneven in many places and there isn't Western type access for the handicap in many places. The last time I took a taxi from the Khaosan Rd area to the Marquis it took over ninety minutes because the driver went way out of the way. It should be 10 km, but it was forty! If you are tourists on a first trip who don't know the area, you will wind up being talked into flat fares because the drivers won't believe you will get out of the cab if they don't turn on the meter. You will likely also be driven all over the city by drivers trying to increase the fare. Uber doesn't pickup in many places when the traffic is bad. You will want to use public transportation or go at least once by yourself, learn your way around and go back with her another time.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Personally, I think the Marquis is over-hyped in this forum, but of course it all depends on what the customer values in a hotel and how they tend to spend their time.
I stayed in the Marquis very shortly after it opened. The hotel was spectacular. More recent posts suggest the hotel has sadly not been able to keep up that quality of service. People seem to still like the hotel, but the hype seems to be from those of us who stayed a year or so ago.

And you will likely agree that if the OP's mom has mobility problems there will likely be issues walking from the Marquis to the BTS. The hotel has a tuk-tuk for the route, but using it requires a timing and logistics effort that is more than most want to coordinate on vacation.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: most of them
Not to mention the climate which can be oppressive even for fit people. (And in the current smog problems...)

Grabcar is another option, but still a car. However you would avoid some issues with taxis going out of their way and overcharging.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What would you recommend instead of taxi/uber then? I am planning these types of transportation as I am traveling with my mom who can't walk very far and doesn't like public transport
Map out where you want to go, then choose a property. Cars, while slowed by traffic, also relieve you of navigational duties and provide air conditioning.

Don't forget the Starwood properties, too.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Map out where you want to go, then choose a property. Cars, while slowed by traffic, also relieve you of navigational duties and provide air conditioning.

Don't forget the Starwood properties, too.
So you recommend taxi/uber then?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Grabcar is another option, but still a car. However you would avoid some issues with taxis going out of their way and overcharging.
No necessarily... Many people report issues with GrabTaxi on this thread, including the most recent post. When traffic is bad you cannot use the app to call a cab, you may still have the meter argument and there is no guaranty you will avoid the other issues that you do avoid with Uber.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
If walking the length of one building is too much, not to be flippant, but maybe Bangkok is not a good destination.
Bingo. Bangkok is not an easy city to navigate, even for those with no mobility issues. And glennaa11's comment about the heat making things even harder is spot on.

For someone with mobility issues, the best call might be to pick one of the more resort-style hotels (SGS, Pen, etc.) and plan to spend most of your time on property.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
And you will likely agree that if the OP's mom has mobility problems there will likely be issues walking from the Marquis to the BTS. The hotel has a tuk-tuk for the route, but using it requires a timing and logistics effort that is more than most want to coordinate on vacation.
Yes, new information. Definitely the Ren out of the two the OP is considering.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Bingo. Bangkok is not an easy city to navigate, even for those with no mobility issues. And glennaa11's comment about the heat making things even harder is spot on.

For someone with mobility issues, the best call might be to pick one of the more resort-style hotels (SGS, Pen, etc.) and plan to spend most of your time on property.
I couldn't even imagine my mother in Bangkok, as she also has some issues with walking more than a couple blocks. I think it's going to be quite a hassle for the OP to rely on door-to-door transportation in Bangkok.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Perfect Stay at the Renaissance

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

518/8 Ploenchit Road Bangkok, Thailand TH 10330

Perfect Stay at the Renaissance (13 Photos)

Being that it was our first time in Bangkok, we choose to stay at the Renaissance due to its central location.  Many things are walkable from here or easily connected by public transportation.  Our flight into Bangkok arrived at around 10 pm and we decided to call an Uber for the ease of it.  The trip cost just under 9 USD and took 43 minutes.  For reference, we took the BTS/Airport train back to the airport and it cost nearly nothing and took about 40 minutes (the Chit Lom station is virtually connected to the hotel and the transfer at the airport station is very straight forward).  

Check In

IMG_20180204_001159.jpg

When we arrived at the hotel our bags were swept away to our room and we were greeted at the elite desk with a glass of coconut water infused with pandan leaf (very refreshing post-flight).  We were offered to check in via the club lounge, but being that it was late, we just wanted to get it done.  As platinum members, we were not proactively offered an upgrade, and when we inquired - after a series of phone calls - we were given a room “one class up” from our reservation.  I believe our upgrade was just a higher floor.  We had a choice for our local welcome amenity (one food item/person, one beverage/person) and we had the mango sticky rice for two. 

IMG_20180203_230911.jpg

Amenities

In addition to the welcome amenity, we were offered a 15-minute head/neck/shoulder massage each, as well as one piece of laundry/day (can be used cumulatively).  Our nightly turndown service included a fun, rotating local snack (I’m not sure if this is the standard or just for elite members).  We also had full access to the concierge lounge and fitness center.

IMG_20180206_154750.jpgIMG_20180206_102007.jpgIMG_20180204_191702.jpg

The lounge serves breakfast, high-tea, and nightly canapes/cocktails (see current hours on the check-in letter).  There are also both sweet and salty snacks and non-alcoholic beverage available throughout the day.  The high-tea was British-style with scones and tea sandwiches.  The evening reception was more focused on cocktails (served by the attentive bar staff) than it was food, but there was still plenty to nibble on.  They had two sandwich varieties, three-four hot dishes, cheese, salad and three desserts.  Where the breakfast was of fantastic quality, I found the evening lounge food to be just okay.  The sandwiches were actually pretty good, but the hot foods were mostly fried and the cheese was pretty “meh”.  The desserts, on the other hand, were fantastic.  My favorite was an almond tart they had on our first night - delicious!  I’m not a cocktail person, but I did try a mojito which I found to be too sweet to drink (though others were drinking them just fine).  The beer was Singha, which is my favorite Thai beer, and they also had a red, white and sparkling wine. 

IMG_20180204_182221.jpgIMG_20180204_175301.jpgIMG_20180206_182504.jpg

Room

The standard room is larger than most - especially the bathroom - and we found it to be more than adequate in size.  I was worried from photos that the room might be out-of-date, but I thought that it was chic and modern.  The bed was comfortable, firm, but not too firm and the sheets were excellent.  My favorite part of the room was probably the extra deep soaking tub - a treat after a long day. 

IMG_20180203_225501.jpgIMG_20180203_225520.jpg

Dining

Others have reported only being allowed to take their Platinum breakfast in the lounge at this hotel, but we were offered breakfast in either the lounge or restaurant at check-in and had no issues with breakfast charges on our bill at check-out (only our tip was charged).  This option is not indicated in the welcome letter, so this may be subject to change (we booked using points/free night cert, so breakfast was not included in our rate).  The breakfast in the lounge looked complete, but I highly recommend taking your breakfast at Flavors restaurant if offered.  It may have been the best hotel breakfast buffet we’ve experienced.  The food was not just high in quantity, but also in quality.  We loved the made-to-order juice (watermelon ginger was fantastic) and noodle options.  I’m pretty sure we ate our weight in passion fruit and mangosteen. 

IMG_20180207_074921.jpgIMG_20180207_072541.jpgIMG_20180205_074035.jpg

Gym

The fitness center is well equipped but too small for the massive hotel.  It was extremely hot on the day we went, but the view was lovely.  The pool is indoor and not too crowded.  The spa was nice but was overpriced for Thailand.  Our complimentary massage was done in the pool area, and despite the noise, it was wonderful.

Overall

The Renaissance Bangkok ended up being my favorite hotel of our trip (even above the beloved Grand Hyatt Hong Kong).  The service was exceptional and they made us feel special our entire stay.

Perfect Stay at the Renaissance

Would you like to write a review on the Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBord
I couldn't even imagine my mother in Bangkok, as she also has some issues with walking more than a couple blocks. I think it's going to be quite a hassle for the OP to rely on door-to-door transportation in Bangkok.
Yeah, just crossing Sukhumvit often requires walking two blocks, climbing a steep narrow set of stairs, then back down on the other side.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Location Being that it was my first time in Bangkok, I choose to stay at the Renaissance do to its central location. Many things are walkable from here or easily connected by public transportation. My flight into Bangkok arrived at around 10 pm and I decided to call an Uber for the ease of it. The trip cost just under 9 USD and took 43 minutes. For reference, I took the BTS/Airport train back to the airport and it cost nearly nothing and took about 40 minutes (the Chit Lom station is virtually connected to the hotel and the transfer at the airport station is very straight forward). Check In When we arrived at the hotel our bags were swept away to our room and we were greeted at the elite desk with a glass of coconut water infused with pandan leaf (very refreshing post-flight). I was offered to check in via the club lounge, but being that it was late, I just wanted to get on with it. As platinum members, we were not proactively offered an upgrade, and when we inquired - after a series of phone calls - we were given a room one class up from our reservation. I believe our upgrade was just a higher floor. We had a choice for our local welcome amenity (one food item/person, one beverage/person) and we had the mango sticky rice for two. Amenities In addition to the welcome amenity, we were offered a 15-minute head/neck/shoulder massage each, as well as one piece of laundry/day (can be used cumulatively). Our nightly turndown service included a fun, rotating local snack (I m not sure if this is the standard or just for elite members). We also had full access to the concierge lounge and fitness center.The lounge serves breakfast, high-tea, and nightly canapes/cocktails (see current hours on the check-in letter). There are also both sweet and salty snacks and non-alcoholic beverage available throughout the day. The high-tea was British-style with scones and tea sandwiches. The evening reception was more focused on cocktails (served by the attentive bar staff) than it was food, but there was still plenty to nibble on. They had two sandwich varieties, three-four hot dishes, cheese, salad and three desserts. Where the breakfast was of fantastic quality, I found the evening lounge food to be just okay. The sandwiches were actually pretty good, but the hot foods were mostly fried and the cheese was pretty meh . The desserts, on the other hand, were fantastic. My favorite was an almond tart they had on our first night - delicious! I m not a cocktail person, but I did try a mojito which I found to be too sweet to drink (though others were drinking them just fine). The beer was Singha, which is my favorite Thai beer, and they also had a red, white and sparkling wine. Room The standard room is larger than most - especially the bathroom - and we found it to be more than adequate in size. I was worried from photos that the room might be out-of-date, but I thought that it was chic and modern. The bed was comfortable, firm, but not too firm and the sheets were excellent. My favorite part of the room was probably the extra deep soaking tub - a treat after a long day. Dining People have reported only being allowed to take their Platinum breakfast in the lounge at this hotel, but we were offered breakfast in either the lounge or restaurant at check-in and had no issues with breakfast charges on our bill at check-out (only our tip was charged). The breakfast in the lounge looked complete, but I highly recommend taking your breakfast at Flavors restaurant. It may have been the best hotel breakfast buffet we ve experienced. The food was not just high in quantity, but also in quality. We loved the made-to-order juice (watermelon ginger was fantastic) and noodle options. I m pretty sure we ate our weight in passion fruit and mangosteen. Gym The fitness center is well equipped but too small for the massive hotel. It was extremely hot on the day we went, but the view was lovely. The pool is indoor and not too crowded. The spa was nice but was overpriced for Thailand. Our complimentary massage was done in the pool area, and despite the noise, it was wonderful. Overall The Renaissance Bangkok ended up being my favorite hotel of our trip (even above the beloved Grand Hyatt Hong Kong). The service was exceptional and they made us feel special our entire stay.
Was this a fairly recent stay? Is the lounge only accessible to Platinum members or gold members too?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
doing the renaissance 14 days in a few months... will report back
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
PS what upgrade can expect as Platinum??
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
So you recommend taxi/uber then?
I have actually been to Bangkok with my Mother (who has some mobility issues) on more than one occasion . I must say that I would recommend staying at the SGS which has a very convenient access to the BTS (Skytrain system) and to the Terminal 21 mall. As always in BKK during rush hours expect to sit a car/cab for a very prolonged time ...at off hours traffic flows smoother ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.