Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:56 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Will08
What are you in BKK for, Work or pleasure? I have had a quick read through some of the answers and they all seem to be focused on a business trip mindset, certainly in terms of grabbing food in the hotels/lounges. If you are in BKK for pleasure I would go for location over everything else. There are so many great places to eat in BKK that it is almost a waste utilising lounges.
I’m here for leisure. I eat the hotel breakfasts but don’t use the lounges for anything other than soft drinks and fruit. So far I’ve been to Nahm, Bo.Lan, Canvas, Paste, Jay Fai, and Jay Oh Chula. Any recs? Also any thoughts on the location of the W Hotel? I am somewhat familiar with the Ratchaprasong area that is about 5 minutes north of the St. Regis.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Matches my opinion. Would be at the bottom of my list of Bangkok Marriotts.
The service is so oddly volatile. The maid staff is so sweet and amazing but that’s about it. I am also not a fan of the low ceilings in the M suite. The drop down with recessed lighting in the foyer and bathroom is 7.5 feet high at most. I reckon the main living area is at 8.5 feet. I also don’t understand why this relatively new hotel has carpet floors and outlets on only one side of the bed.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Any recs? Also any thoughts on the location of the W Hotel?
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Sathorn is a lot less busy than Sukhumvit, but the W Hotel has excellent rooms, outstanding suites. No lounge though, which deters most that enjoy having lounge access. The area has plenty of good local eateries, my favorite guay jap/crispy pork and kao ka moo restaurants. Guay Jub Mr. Joe, Charoen Saeng Silom - Pork Knuckle, Tuang Dim Sum are all good places to eat in the area. No shortage of higher end cuisine as well, with the House on Sathorn, Supanniga Eating Room, Blue Elephant, Eat Me, etc.
I have plenty more recommendations around the W area since I spend the most time in that area, if you are interested.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I have plenty more recommendations around the W area since I spend the most time in that area, if you are interested.
Thanks for this! Would love all recommendations, especially with a covid context! I am flexible on price. Happy to pay for food if it’s good.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am also not a fan of the low ceilings in the M suite. The drop down with recessed lighting in the foyer and bathroom is 7.5 feet high at most. I reckon the main living area is at 8.5 feet.
That's what I remember most of the about the rooms. Low ceilings.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:12 pm

Thanks for this! Would love all recommendations, especially with a covid context! I am flexible on price. Happy to pay for food if it’s good.
Unless the new restrictions changed things, everything was open. Alcohol might have been limited but I rarely drink alcohol and never pay attention to it.

On the higher end, some other restaurants I have enjoyed in the Sathorn/Silom area: Salathip, Le Normandie, Celadon, Nahm, Ocken.

I prefer the local lower end eateries, personally. Some more in the area I liked: Thien Duong, Alphabet Cafe, Eats Payao. Plenty of random good food vendors around the Sathorn Tower at lunch and most of the day at Chong Nonsi too. On the weekends it is more quiet with the lack of office workers, most street vendors don't set up, as usual.

And something quirky in case you need a colorful place to take selfies: the Unicorn Cafe, a few minutes walk from the W. The food there is colorful and pretty much everything was sickly sweet, but unique place. The boyfriends/husbands are typically just hanging out while the girlfriends/wives take selfies.
Sohan, Kacee and WasKnown like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:28 pm

Unless the new restrictions changed things, everything was open. Alcohol might have been limited but I rarely drink alcohol and never pay attention to it.

On the higher end, some other restaurants I have enjoyed in the Sathorn/Silom area: Salathip, Le Normandie, Celadon, Nahm, Ocken.

I prefer the local lower end eateries, personally. Some more in the area I liked: Thien Duong, Alphabet Cafe, Eats Payao. Plenty of random good food vendors around the Sathorn Tower at lunch and most of the day at Chong Nonsi too. On the weekends it is more quiet with the lack of office workers, most street vendors don't set up, as usual.

And something quirky in case you need a colorful place to take selfies: the Unicorn Cafe, a few minutes walk from the W. The food there is colorful and pretty much everything was sickly sweet, but unique place. The boyfriends/husbands are typically just hanging out while the girlfriends/wives take selfies.
Thank you so much for the recommendations!
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Our last MMPO stay in January for 6 nights was amazing. Booked a double room for 1,111++ THB and an M-Suite for 2,222++ and got the following:

- Upgraded to 2 suites facing each other at the end of the 31st floor
- Daily breakfast at Goji for all 4 of us was sublime
- Happy hour was moved to the hotel lobby which offered a less clustered ambiance as opposed to the M-Lounge on the 27th floor, and we actually liked this move.
- Treated to a Thai dinner set for 4 on the final night at Siam Tea Room.
- Outstanding treatment, service, and amentias (including welcome Titanium gift) and no cut backs of substance due to Covid or lack of guests
- Park was open at the time and the comped shuttle to Emporium (Phrom Phong BTS station) was operational every 30 minutes if we needed it.
- Thai clientele on the weekends but otherwise no Chinese, Korean, or Indian tour guests - quite and serene!
- Prompt communications by management in case there was a local outbreak.
- Total daily cost was around $130 all in for BOTH suites and we earned at least $120 worth of points at checkout

Happy Hour at the M-Club lounge at the hotel lobby

Breakfast at Goji

Management communication

Thai set dinner - Restaurant manager was very accommodating and we were able to substitute for items from their main dinner menu

I'm 6'2" and our suite ceiling was of a normal height with floor to ceiling windows.
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Our last MMPO stay in January for 6 nights was amazing. Booked a double room for 1,111++ THB and an M-Suite for 2,222++ and got the following:

- Upgraded to 2 suites facing each other at the end of the 31st floor
- Daily breakfast at Goji for all 4 of us was sublime
- Happy hour was moved to the hotel lobby which offered a less clustered ambiance as opposed to the M-Lounge on the 27th floor, and we actually liked this move.
- Treated to a Thai dinner set for 4 on the final night at Siam Tea Room.
- Outstanding treatment, service, and amentias (including welcome Titanium gift) and no cut backs of substance due to Covid or lack of guests
- Park was open at the time and the comped shuttle to Emporium (Phrom Phong BTS station) was operational every 30 minutes if we needed it.
- Thai clientele on the weekends but otherwise no Chinese, Korean, or Indian tour guests - quite and serene!
- Prompt communications by management in case there was a local outbreak.
- Total daily cost was around $130 all in for BOTH suites and we earned at least $120 worth of points at checkout

Happy Hour at the M-Club lounge at the hotel lobby

Breakfast at Goji

Management communication

Thai set dinner - Restaurant manager was very accommodating and we were able to substitute for items from their main dinner menu

I'm 6'2" and our suite ceiling was of a normal height with floor to ceiling windows.
I am glad you had such a lovely experience there! Personally, my experience differed.

The ceiling height of the M suites is about 8.5 feet/2.59 meters in the living area and 8 feet/2.44 meters in the foyer/bathroom where there is recessed lighting. Standard ceiling height in the US is 9 feet/2.74 meters. However, many cheaper urban hotels in the US also skimp out on ceiling height. I was just surprised to encounter this in Asia.

It’s just my opinion but I believe ceiling height reveals quite a bit about the quality of a building’s construction. The low ceilings match my overall opinion of the Bangkok Marriott Marquis: mass produced for a lower quality. I still do not understand why the floor is carpeted given the building’s young age. Also, why is there an outlet on only one side of the bed? The floor to ceiling windows are nothing special in my book. It’s not a big deal but they are either single paneled or double paneled with two very thing sheets of glass. I am not sure if this is the standard for Bangkok construction but I would be pretty concerned about longevity if I saw this in a Manhattan condo.

To be fair, the Goji breakfast is quite nice and the housekeeping staff are consistently delightful. However, everything else about the hotel lags behind its competition. The service is not very warm and my check-in process was very disorganized. The location’s proximity to small Japanese restaurants is nice and I love the EmQuartier’s Helix. However, the shut down of Queen’s Park makes the location almost unbearable; it takes 17 minutes to walk around the park and get to EmQuartier. I would rather not live my life around a shuttle schedule.

It is definitely still better than any Marriott in the US by a wide margin. However, I do not feel the product is competitive in Bangkok when there are so many good alter for just a slightly higher price. While it is consistently one of the cheapest Marriott options in Bangkok, you get what you pay for. I do not think I am a difficult person to please and the 2 other reviews I have left on this forum we’re overwhelmingly positive.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It’s just my opinion but I believe ceiling height reveals quite a bit about the quality of a building’s construction. The low ceilings match my overall opinion of the Bangkok Marriott Marquis: mass produced for a lower quality. I still do not understand why the floor is carpeted given the building’s young age. Also, why is there an outlet on only one side of the bed?
Note that the construction dates to the 70s; hotel was originally The Imperial Queen's Park. It was updated and reflagged in approx. 2016. It was the largest hotel in Thailand (now apparently surpassed by Ambassador City in Patong per a quick google search).

However, the shut down of Queen’s Park makes the location almost unbearable; it takes 17 minutes to walk around the park and get to EmQuartier. I would rather not live my life around a shuttle schedule.
Yes, the location is inconvenient. In addition to the long walk to Sukhumvit/BTS, when traffic in the soi backs up, it can take forever to get in or out. My first (and only) stay, it took over 10 minutes for my taxi to reach the hotel entry after turning off Sukhumvit (this was around midnight).

While it is consistently one of the cheapest Marriott options in Bangkok, you get what you pay for.
Nail on the head. On that note, I'll add that I found the quality of the food in the lounge subpar. On the positive side, they did upgrade me to an M suite on a points stay, and the check-in staff was quite gracious. But there are too many better options in Bangkok.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Don't get me wrong, I did have a disagreement with MMQP management about the inability to use Megatix vouchers for the 11/11 rate under which we were booked. The rate T&C did not specifically exclude the Megatix vouchers as their other offers did. Rather, it prohibited using or combining other offers in conjunction with the said 11/11 rate. The disagreement arouse when management decided that Megatix vouchers were in fact considered "another offer". Lucky for me, I wanted to resolve the issue before buying the vouchers and thus did not commit any funds to such a losing proposition but nevertheless was unable to get an additional 35% discount - disappointing but not end of the world situation. To be all fair however MMPQ service, amenities, and treatment were all top notch and in our experience nothing to complain about - both the soft and hard product were excellent. The reason we only stayed 6 nights and not 16 nights is that there were too many other exciting offers in Bangkok and we also needed to requalify for Hyatt Globalist - our HR stays were equally excellent.

I do enjoy all kinds of breakfast food, but when in Rome … after flying 1/2 way around the world and going through 15 days of quarantine, I partake and enjoy the local fare as much as I can which is currently Goji strong suit. I do also appreciate that to each his/her own and that YMMV!

My typical breakfast: grilled pork collar (Kor Moo Yang) with sticky rice and noodles

Grilled pork and chicken with salad - green curry with rice portion in the background
unclepants, Kacee and WasKnown like this.

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 29, 2021 at 9:59 am
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:12 pm

It’s just my opinion but I believe ceiling height reveals quite a bit about the quality of a building’s construction. The low ceilings match my overall opinion of the Bangkok Marriott Marquis: mass produced for a lower quality. I still do not understand why the floor is carpeted given the building’s young age. Also, why is there an outlet on only one side of the bed? The floor to ceiling windows are nothing special in my book. It’s not a big deal but they are either single paneled or double paneled with two very thing sheets of glass. I am not sure if this is the standard for Bangkok construction but I would be pretty concerned about longevity if I saw this in a Manhattan condo.
A bit of history here …

Originally, MMQP was called the Imperial Queen's Park Hotel and owned by the Thai billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi who also owns Thailand's Chang beer brand, the Plaza Athenee, the Okura Prestige Hotel Bangkok and is the biggest landowner in Thailand. The original structure was opened in 1993, and closed in 2014 to be reflagged as a Marriott Marquis. The property was re-opened in late 2016 as MMQP still owned by the same TCC Group and under the leadership of Bob Fabiano who many of you know from being a great GM at other Marriott properties worldwide. So I don't think there is much that they can do about the rooms, their space allocation, and their structure as they were already cast in concrete! Since Fabiano's retirement, the standards has deteriorated a bit as the tour groups increased but the place remains a great property and I dare say a Jewel in the Crown in value & quality!

Imperial Queens Hotel before the rebranding - note the old lobby structure.

Sohan and WasKnown like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
A bit of history here …

Originally, MMQP was called the Imperial Queen's Park Hotel and owned by the Thai billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi who also owns Thailand's Chang beer brand, the Plaza Athenee, the Okura Prestige Hotel Bangkok and is the biggest landowner in Thailand. The original structure was opened in 1993, and closed in 2014 to be reflagged as a Marriott Marquis. The property was re-opened in late 2016 as MMQP still owned by the same TCC Group and under the leadership of Bob Fabiano who many of you know from being a great GM at other Marriott properties worldwide. So I don't think there is much that they can do about the rooms, their space allocation, and their structure as they were already cast in concrete! Since Fabiano's retirement, the standards has deteriorated a bit as the tour groups increased but the place remains a great property and I dare say a Jewel in the Crown in value & quality!

Imperial Queens Hotel before the rebranding - note the old lobby structure.

Wow, thank you very much for sharing the history of the hotel! I did not know that but it does make more sense now.
Kalboz likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:44 am

The St. Regis Bangkok is my favorite Bonvoy hotel in the city now. I will check out W hotel soon but I don’t expect this opinion to change.

IMO, this is the only Bonvoy offering that is competitive with the Rosewood, Waldorf Astoria (which is not giving suite upgrades to HH Diamond members), Four Seasons, and Park Hyatt. Honestly, I am not sure I would pick the STR BK over those options if they were all priced the same. Given current pricing however, I think the STR is a no brained especially for someone that only has Hyatt Explorist status.

The rooms are so lovely. The age of the rooms is apparent but they have aged much more gracefully than some of the US Ritz Carltons have. The soft product is amazing. My purpose for traveling to Thailand was rather unique. I let them know about it ahead of time and they did such a wonderful job of making our experience special so far.

Also, the ceilings are quite high. Perhaps 11 feet? No need to measure this time!

Just one question: is there anywhere I can go to buy their St Regis Bear?
unclepants likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:24 am
kkl

The St. Regis Bangkok is my favorite Bonvoy hotel in the city now. I will check out W hotel soon but I don’t expect this opinion to change.

Just one question: is there anywhere I can go to buy their St Regis Bear?
think they used to sell them at the lobby cafe? Ask concierge

property is 10 years old,
hopefully a small refurb soon.

wooden hard floors and furniture are dinged but hardware still held up fine
Old May 8, 2021, 1:35 am

Thank you everyone in this thread that helped me pick the perfect hotels for my time in Bangkok! In terms of the Marriott hotels I stayed at, my ranking would definitely be:

1. St. Regis
2. Renaissance
3. W
4. Marriott Marquis

I enjoyed a lovely stay at each of these properties though the St. Regis was the perfect combination of a nice room, a good location, and excellent service. I care more about the room quality than the quality of the breakfast/lounge/cocktail hour, so I passed on the SGS. Next time, I would love to try the Athene and the JW Marriott. If anyone is interested in staying at non-Marriott properties, I also highly recommend the Four Seasons and the Rosewood (which is especially cheap right now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.