FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1675152-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-bangkok-thailand.html)

yosithezet Jun 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz (Post 31188671)
Bangkok is not a running city! I'd skip the run altogether in Bangkok - it's only 2 days afterall because of the pollution, the heat, and it gets dark fairly quickly (sun usually sets before 7 PM) making doubly unhealthy to breath as you will be competing for oxygen with the trees.

Definitely worth checking the AQI in BKK before going out for a run. An N95 mask may be advisable.

But I’m curious what you mean by competing for oxygen with the trees.

Kalboz Jun 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 31190446)
Definitely worth checking the AQI in BKK before going out for a run. An N95 mask may be advisable.

But I’m curious what you mean by competing for oxygen with the trees.

A bit of OT from my school days ... which was in another lifetime! ;)

It's more enduring to jog during daylight time than nighttime. Plants (including trees) breathe during the day using CO2 in photosynthesis which produces oxygen as a bi-product. The process reverses when there isn't enough light as plants intake oxygen and give off CO2.

Thinking again about how hot and polluted Bangkok is, dunno if it makes much difference!

vnfilm1 Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm

This is my first time to stay at Marriott Bangkok brand . I am only has Silver status with Marriott. Can someone please advise the following:

a) Between Marriott Marquis and JW marriott , which one has deluxe room better and the staff service better toward hotel guest with low rank loyalty
b) Which hotel has local street food near by
c) Does anyone know how much JW Marriott charge a fee for using executive lounge per person
d) Will upgrade to executive room level ( with a fee guarantee) an executive lounge access
e) I read on line that JW Marriott currently go thru renovation for all rooms, have it done yet . If I choose to stay at JW Marriott, which floor # I can request at check in in order to secured a renovation deluxe room.
f) How much is a buffet breakfast fee at the restaurant at this hotel

Please advise and thank you

broadwayboy Jul 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Partial help here....

a) Between Marriott Marquis and JW marriott , which one has deluxe room better and the staff service better toward hotel guest with low rank loyalty. JW Marriott, assuming you get a renovated room.
b) Which hotel has local street food near by Definitely JW. Go to Sukhumvit Rd - less than one minute walk and turn left.
c) Does anyone know how much JW Marriott charge a fee for using executive lounge per person. No.
d) Will upgrade to executive room level ( with a fee guarantee) an executive lounge access. I would imagine so.
e) I read on line that JW Marriott currently go thru renovation for all rooms, have it done yet . If I choose to stay at JW Marriott, which floor # I can request at check in in order to secured a renovation deluxe room. When I was there last month, I think I was on the 16th F and rooms above me were being renovated. All lower floors have been completed.
f) How much is a buffet breakfast fee at the restaurant at this hotel. Don't know the exact THB, but should be around or under THB1000

I have just spent one night at Marriott Marquis - the club lounge has great evening food, but location does not for me. It also a HUUUGE hotel which can feel a bit underwhelming especially when tour buses come.

Kacee Jul 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy (Post 31314998)
Which hotel has local street food near by? Definitely JW. Go to Sukhumvit Rd - less than one minute walk and turn left.

actually there is a line up of street food vendors on Soi 22 between Sukhumvit and the Marquis.

I'm not sure either of these would be my first choice among Marriotts in Bangkok. In same price range, I would probably opt first for Marriott Sukhumvit, Ren, or perhaps Surawongse.

Dr. HFH Jul 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy (Post 31314998)
c) Does anyone know how much JW Marriott charge a fee for using executive lounge per person. No.

Shouldn't the answer to this question be Yes? :D

vnfilm1 Jul 18, 2019 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31315473)
actually there is a line up of street food vendors on Soi 22 between Sukhumvit and the Marquis.

I'm not sure either of these would be my first choice among Marriotts in Bangkok. In same price range, I would probably opt first for Marriott Sukhumvit, Ren, or perhaps Surawongse.

Thank you ALL for giving me your inputs .
Do you mind sharing why you choose these hotels . Surawongse seems a new hotel compared JW Marriott, but I just wonder why JW Marriott is in a higher category and cost more.

Kacee Jul 18, 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by vnfilm1 (Post 31315746)
I just wonder why JW marriott is in a higher catergory ad cost more.

Many of us wonder the same thing.

The lineup of Marriott/SPG properties in Bangkok is really excellent. What's important to you? What kind of area do you want to be in? Will you be staying at the hotel or touring around Bangkok?

Surawongse is brand new and gets really excellent reviews. The location may be an issue, and it's not that close to public transit. The Ren has a fantastic location in Ratchaprasong, near several high end malls and adjacent to Chit Lom BTS. Marriott Sukhumvit (Soi 57) is farther down Sukhumvit, on the edge of the trendy Thonglor district. It has a well regarded rooftop bar.

And we haven't even touched on the SPG options, several of which are IMO even better.

vnfilm1 Jul 18, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31315788)
Many of us wonder the same thing.

The lineup of Marriott/SPG properties in Bangkok is really excellent. What's important to you? What kind of area do you want to be in? Will you be staying at the hotel or touring around Bangkok?

Surawongse is brand new and gets really excellent reviews. The location may be an issue, and it's not that close to public transit. The Ren has a fantastic location in Ratchaprasong, near several high end malls and adjacent to Chit Lom BTS. Marriott Sukhumvit (Soi 57) is farther down Sukhumvit, on the edge of the trendy Thonglor district. It has a well regarded rooftop bar.

And we haven't even touched on the SPG options, several of which are IMO even better.

Thank for more insight of these Marriott Hotels in Bangkok. My main focus is to see a little bit of Bangkok, visit shopping terminal 21, taking a ride on a public river boat ( up and down the river) and enjoy local street food. I probably spend some time at hotel just to relax . Most important is a clean safe room hotel with a nice view and near the local street food stall and grocery market. Also, easy to catch a meter taxi when needed and clean and safe local Thai massage place for a good massage.

If you have an email to contact Surawongse hotel, can you please share.

Dr. HFH Jul 18, 2019 5:09 am

Originally Posted by vnfilm1 (Post 31315943)
Thank for more insight of these Marriott Hotels in Bangkok. My main focus is to see a little bit of Bangkok, visit shopping terminal 21, taking a ride on a public river boat ( up and down the river) and enjoy local street food. I probably spend some time at hotel just to relax . Most important is a clean safe room hotel with a nice view and near the local street food stall and grocery market. Also, easy to catch a meter taxi when needed and clean and safe local Thai massage place for a good massage.

If you're interested in being convenient to T21, the Westin is right next to it, and the SGS across the street accesses T21 by an elevated walkway directly from the lobby into T21, so no crossing the street. Both of these hotels have their loyal fans on FT, and there's plenty of discussion about which is better. IMO neither one is "better"; they're different, and it depends on your personal taste and what you're looking for.

Kacee Jul 18, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31316305)
If you're interested in being convenient to T21, the Westin is right next to it, and the SGS across the street accesses T21 by an elevated walkway directly from the lobby into T21, so no crossing the street.

There's also a supermarket (Tops) below the Robinson's adjacent to the Westin. Westin has a lounge, SGS does not. (Personally, I don't see much need for a lounge in BKK . . . YMMV.) From either, you could access the river by BTS (Saphan Taksin), which would require changing lines at Siam. If you stayed at Surawongse, they provide a shuttle to Saphan Taksin. It would take a while to get to Terminal 21.

Dr. HFH Jul 18, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31316727)
If you stayed at Surawongse, they provide a shuttle to Saphan Taksin. It would take a while to get to Terminal 21.

OT to this JW thread, but I thought that the Surawongse shuttle was to Sala Daeng.

Kacee Jul 18, 2019 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31316913)
OT to this JW thread, but I thought that the Surawongse shuttle was to Sala Daeng.

I don't have first hand knowledge. The hotel says (per an online response) that they will go to various stops, including Saphan Taksin.

broadwayboy Jul 20, 2019 1:25 am

Haha, it should be, No, I don't know :-)

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31315506)
Shouldn't the answer to this question be Yes? :D

broadwayboy Jul 20, 2019 1:26 am

Just stayed at Marriott Surawongse - the shuttle only goes to Sala Daeng BTS according to the FD agent.

Side note - stayed at JW, Queen's Park and Surawongse - VERY IMPRESSED by the spread at the Exec Lounge evening hours. MUCH MUCH nicer than Hilton BKK or even Conrad Bangkok! I would even say it's better than Grand Hyatt's!

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31317050)
I don't have first hand knowledge. The hotel says (per an online response) that they will go to various stops, including Saphan Taksin.