FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1675152-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-bangkok-thailand.html)

goingbananas Jul 31, 2014 11:59 am

Upgrade success at the BKK Marriott

I am heading to Bangkok in two weeks and normally stay at the JW Marriott. This time, I am staying at the Marriott Sukhumvit 57 for a change. How is the upgrade success there? I am a Lifetime Platinum.

Thanks...

nachosdelux Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by goingbananas (Post 23288808)
I am heading to Bangkok in two weeks and normally stay at the JW Marriott. This time, I am staying at the Marriott Sukhumvit 57 for a change. How is the upgrade success there? I am a Lifetime Platinum.

Thanks...

I am zero for 3 at the JW BKK for upgrades as a Plat. Stays were 1-3 nights each.

FWIW, I have always received a nice upgrade at the BKK Ren in the 5 or so stays there, including free (award) stays.

The REN is my first choice by far.

EDIT I need to read more closely, you were asking about a different property, at which I have not stayed. Sorry.

goingbananas Jul 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 23289015)
I am zero for 3 at the JW BKK for upgrades as a Plat. Stays were 1-3 nights each.

FWIW, I have always received a nice upgrade at the BKK Ren in the 5 or so stays there, including free (award) stays.

EDIT I need to read more closely, you were asking about a different property, at which I have not stayed. Sorry.

No worries....My success rate at the JW was "0 fer" as well.

dfe Aug 1, 2014 2:44 am

After 47 consecutive stays at the JW I completely gave up on them (which would be a different thread) and now use the Ren and CY as my preferred choices. However, to the point in early May I had booked the CY but the day before arrival a huge protest march was announced from Lumpini to Ratchaprasong coming up Ratchadamri which threated to block access to the CY and potentially the Ren would also be in a mess.

I immediately switched to Suk 57 and on checking in I was given a full suite upgrade on the 39th floor. This with less than 24 hours adv. booking. As usual it probably all depends on occupancy and status. I am currently Plat Premier. Based on that very nice experience I have booked another 3 day stay on 08/15--and we will see what that brings. I am not thrilled with the location (as some others are), but the hotel has made dramatic improvements since I first stayed there about a month after initial opening which I considered to be way, way too soft.

sim510 Aug 1, 2014 4:03 am

No upgrade for me at the soi 57 location, unless you consider executive floor an upgrade for a platinum. I just checked out yesterday morning from a 3 night stay. The lounge is a nice size, and plenty of food for breakfast. Don't count on making much of a meal at night though.

I also do not like the location of this Marriott. Too far away from lower Sukhumvit, although the sky train is a short walk.

The bathtub with a view is awesome. The loo also has a view, but if you are very tall or carry much weight, there is very little knee room in front of you while sitting. You might have to sit side saddle!

ellie_nz Aug 1, 2014 4:50 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 23289015)

How do the lounges compare? I'm choosing between the JW and Ren for a stay this month. I've stayed at the JW loads and love the lounge so am a bit vary of moving to the Ren!

nachosdelux Aug 1, 2014 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ellie_nz (Post 23292544)
How do the lounges compare? I'm choosing between the JW and Ren for a stay this month. I've stayed at the JW loads and love the lounge so am a bit vary of moving to the Ren!

Both lounges are excellent. The JW is larger, and has an outside patio area. The REN has a better view. There are more food options at the JW, but both have made to order eggs for breakfast. I have found the staff/service in the REN lounge to be outstanding.

Since BKK is such a great food city, I prefer to eat out for lunch, then have snacks and drinks in the evening at the lounge. You can make a nice meal if you want - you will not go hungry or be disappointed with either choice.

CJKatl Aug 2, 2014 6:07 am

nachosdelux is spot on, but I'll add one thing... At peak times, it's hard to get a table at the Ren's CL. This is usually not a problem at the JW because they have so much seating in the main room, the hallway and outside.

With that said, the rooms at the Ren are nicer, IMO. As others have pointed out, too, the UGs seem to be more plentiful at the Ren. SkyTrain access is easier at the Ren, too. You don't have to walk on the dirty, broken sidewalk. I'd probably choose it over the JW. If you isolate the CL, though, the JW wins.

GBBob Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

I have a question about locations of properties in Bangkok. I'll be there for one night ( is that a song?) and my customer is staying at the Manderin Oriental on the river. Can anyone advise which Marriott property would be closest to that? The Gold Desk couldn't help and I just don't know Bangkok that well. Much thanks in advance for any advise!

eastnortheast Aug 19, 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by GBBob (Post 23388288)
I have a question about locations of properties in Bangkok. I'll be there for one night ( is that a song?) and my customer is staying at the Manderin Oriental on the river. Can anyone advise which Marriott property would be closest to that? The Gold Desk couldn't help and I just don't know Bangkok that well. Much thanks in advance for any advise!

In my opinion, it is pretty much a wash. Assuming you are looking at the JW, the Ren and the Couryard, all are about the same distance. The Courtyard may be nominally closer and have a bit easier access if you take a taxi from your hotel --> Mandarin as you can avoid some of the Sukhumvit traffic

GBBob Aug 19, 2014 9:33 am

Originally Posted by eastnortheast (Post 23388432)
In my opinion, it is pretty much a wash. Assuming you are looking at the JW, the Ren and the Couryard, all are about the same distance. The Courtyard may be nominally closer and have a bit easier access if you take a taxi from your hotel --> Mandarin as you can avoid some of the Sukhumvit traffic

Perfect...thank you very much

TRAVELSIG Aug 19, 2014 10:23 am

Originally Posted by GBBob (Post 23388288)

If you are going to stay at an MR hotel and need to be close to your client- stay at the REN, walk around the corner and catch the BTS to the Pier, or the Courtyard (same instructions as above except instead of walking around the corner walk up to the Four Seasons and then turn left) and then catch the (complimentary) shuttle to the MO. Alternatively- stay at the MO and save your self a load of stress or at the nearby Shangri-La, PEN, or Sheraton which are all very nearby.

Kalboz Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 23388760)
If you are going to stay at an MR hotel and need to be close to your client- stay at the REN, walk around the corner and catch the BTS to the Pier, or the Courtyard (same instructions as above except instead of walking around the corner walk up to the Four Seasons and then turn left) and then catch the (complimentary) shuttle to the MO. Alternatively- stay at the MO and save your self a load of stress or at the nearby Shangri-La, PEN, or Sheraton which are all very nearby.

For a one night stay, I'd do the alternative! :)

Kacee Aug 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 23388760)
Alternatively- stay at the MO and save your self a load of stress or at the nearby Shangri-La, PEN, or Sheraton which are all very nearby.

For one night, this is absolutely the right call.

I love the Shangri-La (riverfront balcony room) and regularly pass on Hilton/Marriott benes to stay there. The balcony overlooking the Chao Praya is magical.

You will save close to an hour of travel time in each direction and get to stay in one of the world's great hotels for something like 6700 THB.

Mandarin is next door.

GBBob Aug 20, 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 23392756)
For one night, this is absolutely the right call.

I love the Shangri-La (riverfront balcony room) and regularly pass on Hilton/Marriott benes to stay there. The balcony overlooking the Chao Praya is magical.

You will save close to an hour of travel time in each direction and get to stay in one of the world's great hotels for something like 6700 THB.

Mandarin is directly across the river. Ferries every five minutes or less.

You guys convinced me...shoot pre-pay rate of $167 at Shangri-la...I love my Marriott points, but not THAT much:)