Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What is the alternate amenity provided by the property to Platinums at this property? (since wifi is given to Plats)
I'm headed there on Wednesday - have the same a question out to my Ambassador. Will let you know!

You should also check your initial confirmation - they have raised the resort fee since I booked (I think in October)? My reservation is showing the new $35 charge.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What is the alternate amenity provided by the property to Platinums at this property? (since wifi is given to Plats)
Stayed there 2 weeks ago. The alternative amenity for Plats is $5 off the resort fee. Was given a crappy suite with worn out furniture.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by jammanxc
Was given a crappy suite with worn out furniture.
I think the Villa side of Mission Hills has been more recently renovated than the standard hotel side. That said, after having stayed at both hotels, the Desert Willow (despite the last little bit of construction) is definitely the nicer of the two Westins in the Palm Springs area.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by jammanxc

Stayed there 2 weeks ago. The alternative amenity for Plats is $5 off the resort fee. Was given a crappy suite with worn out furniture.
At least you got a suite - I don't think I got any elite recognition. This was quite a stay from the last time (three or four years) where they had really good recognition. 'there is a relatively new manager.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Completed a stay here. Nice service and was upgraded to a large suite right near the lobby. Was upgraded to full breakfast buffet (not continental) each morning while checking in. Grounds are nice and tennis courts are a huge plus imo. Rooms are dated (although bed is comfy) and shower in my room was poor. It was a handicap room so likely a different setup than most. But the shower head was worthless.

Resort fee is a complete rip-off at $32 (less the $5 alternate plat amenity it's $27). Still egregious. No benefits unless you golf. If you don't and you're Plat - you're paying for nothing and worse don't even earn Starpoints on resort fees.

Also note - Uber in the early AM is a 20 minute wait - and taxis are no better. Plan ahead if using either to the airport.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
Originally Posted by doggiefizzle

Would definitely return. We have a trip scheduled to the Desert Willow later this year so it will be interesting to see how the two resorts compare.
I'm curious, did you end up going to the Desert Willow and if so, how did the two properties compare? I've been to the Westin Mission Hills many time, but never to the Desert Willow property.

Last edited by cherribabe; Oct 1, 2018 at 9:02 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by cherribabe
I'm curious, did you end up going to the Desert Willow and if so, how did the two properties compare? I've been to the Westin Mission Hills many time, but never to the Desert Willow property.
Sorry for the delayed response - I've stayed at the Desert Willow twice since my stay at Mission Hills. I believe the Desert Willow property to be superior, especially now that most of the construction at the property has finished. Food is similar, but the pools/grounds/rooms at Desert Willow are a bit nicer. If I can find a decent rate at either property (Villa side), I'd consider staying pretty much any time of year at either place, but if prices are showing the same (or on a points redemption), I'd choose the Desert Willow over Mission Hills.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I will be staying here with 3 friends in October, any recent reviews or feedback on the property and surrounding area and things to do/expect?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:46 am

Got a snail mail offer for 5 day, 4 night stay for $299 at the Mission Hills Resort Villas. Need to attend a 90 minute timeshare meeting for 15k bonvoy points, or $75 resort credit, which I don't mind at all. First time doing one of these timeshare deals, I booked nights in April during easter break. Traveling with my wife and 5 year old who loves swimming. Can't wait.

Last edited by hamburgl4r; Oct 17, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hamburgl4r
Got a snail mail offer for 5 day, 4 night stay for $299 at the Mission Hills Resort Villas. Need to attend a 90 minute timeshare meeting for 15k bonvoy points, or $75 resort credit, which I don't mind at all. First time doing one of these timeshare deals, I booked nights in April during easter break. Traveling with my wife and 5 year old who loves swimming. Can't wait.
Got the pitch, declined, got offered a better deal, declined, and received the points. Easy. And well done booking near a holiday.
samosa likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Anyone stayed here more recently? There is a killer promotion of $119/night for 7nights+ (no timeshare pitch required), and we often do XMas in PSP.
Granted is COVID times, etc., but I remain believing that global hotel chains will be rightfully terrified of liability so should be far safer than air bnb, etc.

Any more current views on this place?
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
When I last stayed at the Westin Rancho Mirage it was 2007 and in the peak of high summer and with temperatures approaching 115 Fahrenheit there was nothing quite like the feeling of jumping into the Westin's enormous pool at this hotel.

13 years later and I feel that the hotel has somewhat lost its sparkle in the intervening years, although the fact everyone is living through a global pandemic certainly doesn’t help to enhance ones experience of the property.

In 2007, the area around the western was completely deserted and it felt like a desert retreat. Now there are plenty more properties that have been built alongside and although it doesn’t quite feel like it is in the middle of nowhere, this is still a peaceful place to spend a few days.

Upon checking in to the hotel I was given a golf course view. As a Titanium member I was expecting something a little more that just a basic room and would have loved a suite. I had been spoiled silly in 2007 when I was given the Presidential/Chairmans suite. However, nowadays it seems hotels seem to think that simply offering you a better view is an upgrade. I disagree with that mentality.

Having come from the Ritz Carlton Rancho Mirage the place felt like something of a letdown which of course is unfair given that the two hotels are not directly competing with one another other than the fact they are showcased under the same diverse Marriott umbrella.

One thing I had forgotten since my stay more than a decade ago is that to reach the rooms on the second floor of the buildings there is no elevator access whatsoever!

Traveling with several pushchairs this made me ask for a new room immediately after checking in after discovering that we were not on the ground floor level.

Upon entering the room which was much larger than the one I had enjoyed at the Ritz Carlton, several things were noted that made me question whether all the marketing over cleanliness really was happening and if it was simply to appeal to worried customers.

We found a hair on the wall of the bathroom and some other kind of dirt that looked relatively fresh on the walls. Upon calling the cleaning staff to investigate, they did not seem terribly concerned.

The room itself was comfortable and the Westin Heavenly Bed still provides a good night sleep, however as styles and decor have changed and modernised I am increasingly uncomfortable at stepping on carpets in these kinds of hotel rooms. Surely wooden floors are both far easier to clean and more hygienic all round? Upon pointing out the problems with the cleanliness of the room to the front desk they immediately applied $50 credit to our bill which was gladly received and I was impressed with the speed at which they sought to rectify the problem.

The pool area is large enough to cater for all the current number of customers who were on the property at the time, but the deckchairs were definitely not spaced 6 feet apart as current California guidelines require.

I am happy to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt as with many families traveling in large numbers one must take a level of personal responsibility in order to maintain proper social distancing at this strange time.

Staff around the pool were all fully masked and many of them are wearing gloves too but they became quite officious towards customers who approached the bar without masks and demanded they return to their deckchairs and put them on before re-approaching the bar to place their drink and food orders.

Again, I can totally understand the point of view of staff as they do not want to get sick either but you can at least be nice about it!

We ordered some food while sitting around the pool and it was delivered as if it were takeout food and handed to us in a brown paper bag in plastic boxes. Compare this to the Ritz down the road and where were were served our dishes as one would normally receive them on a tray! Remember how things used to be before the global pandemic? I’m not sure why one method is better than the other.

One strange occurrence is that weekend breakfast on the Sunday morning wasn’t served until 8:30 am!

No matter how relaxing a holiday you might be having when you have young children with you 8:30 feels like a lifetime away!

When brunch was finally open the menu was almost entirely eggs based and there were no options for those that just want a simple plate of fruit or some smoked salmon. This was a little disappointing however the Titanium breakfast amenity provided a hefty discount on the overall tab.

Unlike at the Ritz, valet parking is not mandatory I didn’t find the $15 parking charge for self-parking too obnoxious.

The golf course and surrounding grounds are beautifully landscaped and the entrance to the hotel is impressive.

It brought back some nice memories for me upon arriving at the hotel, and at a suitable price points of around $180 a night I felt that overall it was good value for money.

The compulsory resort fee of $37 includes $20 food and beverage credit, 2 alcoholic drinks and free bike rentals for those that wish to jump in the saddle.

Since my original visit to the hotel in 2009, Palm Springs as a resort town has moved on and developed immensely.

There are now other more enchanting and enticing properties that I would prefer to stay at.

I am encouraged to hear that a full refurbishment of the rooms is scheduled to take place in summer 2021 and I do not see myself returning to the property until this renovation has been fully completed.

Just by way of comparison - here is my review from 13 years ago - July, 2007.

A dose of summer heat in luxurious surroundings was what was required and we found it here at the Westin.

The hotel was in tip-top condition and our room was huge with two sinks in the bathroom and closet area and a separate shower area. It was also exceptionally good value for money at just over $110 a night.

One thing to bear in mind is that the complex itself covers a vast amount of area and there are 3 pools to choose from. The central/main pool behind the main building is by far the nicest – complete with waterslide and bar area. We had no trouble getting an umbrella to sit under each day, but there does appear to be something of a shortage. After 10 minutes in the sun, you will be seeking shade and be glad to know that there is some nearby.

At one point I was thinking if I would have been better off to have picked Le Meridian, however after taking a look, if it’s pool and a sunbed you’re after, the Westin has to be the place. Le Meridian was very “alternative” and the pool area looked dated – like something out of the 50s. It is clear that in this sense, very little updating has gone on. The pool itself was tiny. I was glad that we had chosen to stay at the Westin. It was an oasis of luxury and relaxation in the middle of the harsh, hot California dessert.
svo242 likes this.

Last edited by Johnny Rocket; Nov 25, 2020 at 12:48 am
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
I looked a bit through this thread and didn't see the answer (though at 16 pages I may have missed it). Are the amenities the same whether you stay at the villas or hotel?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I wrote about my stay here in November 2020 - it wasn't great unlike when I stayed in 2007.

My review on Trip Advisor (as posted above) has now been removed as the hotel has 'undergone a renovation'.

'We would like to let you know that The Westin Rancho Mirage Golf Resort & Spa has recently gone through a major renovation. As a result, all reviews and photos posted before the change including yours, have been removed in accordance to our policy.'

I would be very interested to hear how true this is! The pics on the trip advisor website from December 2021 look virtually the same... yet they have now been able to clear away all their growing terrible reviews and pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.