Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Paris, France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Paris, France

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Is there a go-to recommendation for "first time in Paris" hotels? Looking to use my Citi Prestige 4th Night Free benefit.

The past couple of posts seem to recommend the Renaissance Republique; for the timeframe I'm looking at in mid-February, it's approx. $261 (USD)/night -- is that in a good neighborhood for exploring, doing the touristy stuff, etc.? Proximity to public transit a plus.

Would say, the Westin or the W be worth a $100-150/night premium? Are there any other properties I should be considering? Budget is flexible, up to ~$400/night or so.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Is there a go-to recommendation for "first time in Paris" hotels? Looking to use my Citi Prestige 4th Night Free benefit.

The past couple of posts seem to recommend the Renaissance Republique; for the timeframe I'm looking at in mid-February, it's approx. $261 (USD)/night -- is that in a good neighborhood for exploring, doing the touristy stuff, etc.? Proximity to public transit a plus.

Would say, the Westin or the W be worth a $100-150/night premium? Are there any other properties I should be considering? Budget is flexible, up to ~$400/night or so.
The republique metro station is in front of the hotel, so I find getting around very convenient. I got an lnf rate of around 180 euro. At that rate I would happily stay there and use the cost saving on the many great restaurants Paris has to offer.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Identifying a "good" neighborhood in Paris is highly subjective because they have such different feels.

For a first time visitor, the Westin is considerably more centrally located than the Republique in terms of major tourist sites. Whether that's worth the extra money (and being located in an area that's more touristy and has less of a local feel), really depends on personal preferences.

I personally wouldn't feel great about paying $400/night in February if that's what the Westin is charging.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by shevboyz
The republique metro station is in front of the hotel, so I find getting around very convenient. I got an lnf rate of around 180 euro. At that rate I would happily stay there and use the cost saving on the many great restaurants Paris has to offer.
​​​​​​
Ah, good to know!

Originally Posted by Kacee
Identifying a "good" neighborhood in Paris is highly subjective because they have such different feels.

For a first time visitor, the Westin is considerably more centrally located than the Republique in terms of major tourist sites. Whether that's worth the extra money (and being located in an area that's more touristy and has less of a local feel), really depends on personal preferences.

I personally wouldn't feel great about paying $400/night in February if that's what the Westin is charging.
Mm, I don't mind spending some time on public transit or walking. My personal interest is more exploring various cafes, eating, and so on. My companions on the other hand, they'll probably want to go hit up the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc.

$400 is pretty steep, especially compared to the $260 the Republique is charging, though the 4NF benefit eases the sting somewhat (though with upcoming 2x/year uses of 4NF I figure it makes sense to try and maximize the benefit).

Is MR Gold basically worthless at both properties, like in the US?
aa4ever likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

The Renaissance Republique is a good award-redemption value and its location is 15–20 minutes, by foot, from most Paris sights. I wouldn't pay $400 cash for other properties, if only because the savings can be spent on a good bottle of French wine and a nice dinner.

Of course, others prefer the Westin; the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection; and other properties, but most of those preferences are based on elite status and upgrades on award stays. If it's a cash stay, I'd stay at the cheapest property with a good room and reasonably decent location. I suspect you'll be outside exploring for much of the day.

Maybe Le Dokhan's, Tribute Portfolio is worth considering.

You should definitely check each and every property to see if there are any member rates worth booking instead of the general rates. I'm willing to bet that there are rates that include breakfast or something.

If I do a dummy search on Marriott.com for 11–15 February 2019, I see the Renaissance Republique has a members rate of 265 euros per night, including breakfast, for a "larger room" with a queen-sized bed. Since you won't get breakfast as a Marriott gold that's a good value. Meanwhile, the Westin has a rate of 288 euros per night for a king-sized room for the same dates without breakfast included. The Marriott Opera Ambassador is 226 euros per night, including breakfast, for a king, queen or twin room. At the Marriott Champs Elysees, breakfast is included with a rate of 278 euros per night for a king or queen room.

So, basically, you have a lot of options for hotels and rates. It would definitely pay to search each property.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Nov 8, 2018 at 12:01 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mm, I don't mind spending some time on public transit or walking. My personal interest is more exploring various cafes, eating, and so on. My companions on the other hand, they'll probably want to go hit up the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc.
You'd probably prefer Republique's location, your friends the Westin.

For four nights in Paris, you might also look at renting an apartment.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Renaissance Republique is a good award-redemption value and its location is 15–20 minutes, by foot, from most Paris sights. I wouldn't pay $400 cash for other properties, if only because the savings can be spent on a good bottle of French wine and a nice dinner.

You should definitely check each and every property to see if there are any member rates worth booking instead of the general rates. I'm willing to bet that there are rates that include breakfast or something.

If I do a dummy search on Marriott.com for 11–15 February 2019, I see the Renaissance Republique has a members rate of 265 euros per night, including breakfast, for a "larger room" with a queen-sized bed. Since you won't get breakfast as a Marriott gold that's a good value. Meanwhile, the Westin has a rate of 288 euros per night for a king-sized room for the same dates without breakfast included. The Marriott Opera Ambassador is 226 euros per night, including breakfast, for a king, queen or twin room. At the Marriott Champs Elysees, breakfast is included with a rate of 278 euros per night for a king or queen room.
Aha! I forgot to click through to look at member rates. Thanks for the reminder!

My target dates are 15-19 February, and it looks like the Westin is $381 rack, but $305 (USD) prepaid for King bed. That's actually not bad ... Oddly the site sends me to SPG-branded everything. More IT quirks I suppose.

Originally Posted by Kacee
You'd probably prefer Republique's location, your friends the Westin.

For four nights in Paris, you might also look at renting an apartment.
I looked at Airbnb and such, but my traveling companions aren't so thrilled with that idea. They'd rather just stick with the hotel option.

Outside of hotel location, is there anything significantly different between Republique/Westin/etc. in terms of service or room quality? Other than the occasional Sheraton post-acquisition (does that even count?), my primary experience with Marriott hotels is basically the SF JW and a various smattering of Courtyards in the US.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Aha! I forgot to click through to look at member rates. Thanks for the reminder!

My target dates are 15-19 February, and it looks like the Westin is $381 rack, but $305 (USD) prepaid for King bed. That's actually not bad ... Oddly the site sends me to SPG-branded everything. More IT quirks I suppose.

I looked at Airbnb and such, but my traveling companions aren't so thrilled with that idea. They'd rather just stick with the hotel option.

Outside of hotel location, is there anything significantly different between Republique/Westin/etc. in terms of service or room quality? Other than the occasional Sheraton post-acquisition (does that even count?), my primary experience with Marriott hotels is basically the SF JW and a various smattering of Courtyards in the US.
The Renaissance Republique is about three years old whereas the Westin is an older property that many say needs a renovation. I thought I read it will be leaving Marriott once the renovations are complete. If the Republique is cheaper for your dates I'd book there and use the nightly savings to eat and drink well.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
The Tribute (Tribute was/is an SPG brand) home sharing program just expanded to Paris: for 4+ nights its worth taking a look at: https://www.tributeportfoliohomes.com

Not the same value as hotels, but you can earn and redeem MR/SPG points with these rentals.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:37 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:35 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:26 pm

To close the loop -- I ended up booking the Republique. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

I briefly contemplated booking the W, but I had a hard time justifying the nearly $500 incremental cost (over a stay of four nights) especially considering I'll be out and about most of the time anyway.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

My go to hotel in Paris is the Rive Gauche. I’ve stayed there numerous times and never had a bad state. However if my March visit I need to change dates and the only thing it’s allowing me to book on points is an executive room with an exorbitant euro per night Adam. ( Even though there are regular rooms available for cash) So my options now are the new courtyard Gare de Lyon or Renaissance Republic

I’m tempted to stay at the courtyard just because over five nights it’s 40,000 points less. But so far reports on this hotel are minimal. Anyone got any updates? . Anyone know anything about the area? It’s not one I’m real familiar with.

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:33 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:36 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any thoughts on Ren Republique vs. Marriott Opera Ambassador?

Opera would allow me to walk to my place of work, I like and know the area, but is also more expensive (45 EUR/night) and feels a bit older

Ren seems very cool, I like staying close to Marais, but requires the Metro for me (not a huge deal just one add'l thing to plan in)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by markle
I stayed there two weeks ago and was very happy - as a plat I was upgraded to a corner room on a high floor and had spectacular views. Rooms are well-appointed. Minor grumble was that they don't do room service - but food in the restaurant was good.

I didn't see much of the immediate area, but it's right on top of a metro / RER station, and easy to get pretty much anywhere.
Thanks!

And now this hotel is not taking redemption bookings. The entire reason I am loyal to Marriott is to use my points in Europe. Both of my Paris choices are not allowing me to book. I am not really a happy traveler right now

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Nov 20, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.