Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads

Broad summary of the Hong Kong Marriott brands is as follows:

Luxury
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong - Superb full harbour views, good quality restaurants on-site and the world's highest bar (Ozone, that has up to a 20% discount for elite members that actually makes it reasonable value). Negatives would be price and location is in Kowloon (i.e. not ideal for tourists).
St Regis Hong Kong - New (in 2020), great quality rooms, excellent service in the hotel and restaurants, views are more standard and location is a little less convenient, but on the Island in Wan Chai and near the Exhibition Centre. Hotel restaurant l'envol offers quality French service and food and has two Michellin stars. Near the newly opened (2022) Exhibition MTR station with walking under cover (one stop from Admiralty or Hung Hom), or walk from Wan Chai (approx 10 minutes).

Mid-range
JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong - Ideally placed for tourism and likely business, built in an MTR complex with a luxury mall underneath. Small rooms with a good view of either the harbour or a hillside, but compensated with an excellent lounge and breakfast. Somewhere to spend time outside of the room. Not hugely changed since 1980 but a classic hotel with excellent on-site restaurants and a newly renovated/larger lounge than the version prior to COVID.
W Hong Kong - Quirky, next to the Ritz Carlton and with an outdoor pool. On-site restaurants are more limited but in a good location. A nice alternative to the Ritz if you want to explore Kowloon, or are under 30. Good weekend champagne brunch.
Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel - More of a convention centre hotel, but with nice uninterrupted harbour views and reasonable room sizes. A little far from public transport but with walkways to get you to Wan Chai or Exhibition Centre MTR stations fairly rapidly (mostly under air-con).
Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - Huge hotel that historically had a separate "Towers" side (now being removed) and one of the worst lounges in the Marriott network (now improved) with poor elite recognition, but relatively large rooms and close to public transport, museums, shopping in Kowloon and the star ferry. Has had an ongoing refurbishment from late 2022 that appears to be addressing historic quality problems, but this is underway as the wiki is updated. As of March 2023, the "lounge" is on the second floor opposite the reception desk. It's open noon to 6:30pm only, with cocktails/food from 4:30pm-6:30pm and guests are allowed in for only one hour (enforced). There is no lounge opportunity for evening dessert/coffee.
Le Meriden Cyberport - Large rooms, nice staff, in the middle of nowhere (by HK standards) and very consistent brand standard, including a lounge. You will need to get a taxi to any sight or location unless you are visiting the tech companies in the area. Refurbished and reopened in November 2022, and has a shuttle to the Airport Express MTR/Central once an hour.
Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel - Next to the airport, far away from the city (on the MTR or Airport express via a shuttle bus) but excellent evening buffet and ideal to explore Lantau or visit friends (aircrew) in Tung Chung. You can't walk to the airport due to ongoing construction work, even if it looks like it is only a 5 minute walk, it isn't.
Hong Kong Ocean Park Marriott Hotel - Huge pool and ideal for children. Rebranded to a resort to limit elite benefits. Worthwhile for a long weekend away or when visiting Ocean Park. Close to the (less convenient) Ocean Park MTR for tourists. Good restaurants on-site, not much in the local area.
Sheraton Hong Kong Tung Chung Hotel - New hotel that opened in December 2020, more designed for shopping or being close to the airport (via taxi or hourly shuttle bus), good facilities and pool. Far away from the city centre in a residential area.

Boutique
The Mira Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Not so close to public transport (approx 10 minute walk from Tsim Sha Tsui MTR), limited elite recognition but good for the bars of Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) and Kowloon. A better place to head to after a day of shopping in Kowloon or a heavy night out in TST.
Mira Moon Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Close to the shopping of Causeway bay, good rabbit based romantic hotel with sizeable bathrooms and real baths but limited restaurant facilities in-house. Refurbished in July 2022.
The Park Lane Hong Kong, Autograph Collection - New, and not yet opened. In 2025 it is expected that we will get a new Autograph, a conversion from the current Park Lane Hotel, Pullman. The hotel has a great bar and view. Let's see what happens

Value
Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin - generally agreed to be the best value Marriott in town with an excellent executive lounge, great value rooms and good elite service. However far from town (45+ minutes on public transport) and designed for those who want to visit Sai Kung or relatives in the new territories.
Hong Kong Island Hotel | Courtyard Hong Kong - Reasonable location and good value business hotel that isn't that far from central or the MTR, but is ultimately not very distinctive. Offers a good breakfast for elites and a small executive lounge more focused on drinks than food.
Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, a Member of Design Hotels™ - Excellent value and close to Ocean Park. Near the MTR and with a well respected local Mexican restaurant. Offers a 3 hour social hour (free flow with food) if you book direct, a hidden gem. At points has been fully vegetarian as well.
Four Points by Sheraton Hong Kong, Tung Chung - A combined building with the Sheraton Tung Chung, so very similar with some shared facilities but more basic rooms.

Typical responses from those who live in Hong Kong:
I want the best hotel money can buy: Ritz Carlton (views) or St Regis (service)
I want to save money: Ovolo Southside (qirky) or Courtyard Sha Tin (far away)
For business: JW Marriott (Hong Kong Island) and W Hotel (Kowloon)
Airport Stopover: The Sky City Marriott is in the airport complex (accessed via shuttle bus) but realistically you could head to the Ritz Carlton or W Hotel on the airport express in under 30 minutes. Alternatively the Sheraton Tung Chung, and cheaper Four Points may offer more reasonable rates and are only 10 minutes taxi to the airport in an area where a lot of Cathay staff live, or use the airport shuttle bus (link).
Theme parks: Disney is not close and arguably the Sky City Marriott or Sheraton Tung Chung/Four Points Tung Chung are closest, but would need a taxi. Staying at the W or Ritz Carlton may be preferable and using the MTR to get to the park (one change). For Ocean Park you have the Ocean Park Marriott (Resort) or Ovolo Southside within walking distance or the JW Marriott is only one MTR(metro) stop away and more central for other sights.
Staycation: Ritz Carton (on-site restaurants), St Regis (service, two good if pricey restaurants), Courtyard Sha Tin (bargain) or the Ocean Park Marriott (pool for children)
Space: Le Meriden Cyberport, but only because it's in the middle of nowhere (though this is subjective, as it's about 20 minutes in a taxi to central)...
Undiscovered gem: Maybe the Ovolo Southside but ultimately this is Hong Kong so you can't really expect a bargain, it's an efficient capitalist market after all!....

**Staying in China**
Note (pre-COVID) you could save serious (USD100s+) by staying in Shenzhen though this would involve crossing an international border and would only work for those who wanted to visit China and had a visa. With the border reopening this is an option, for example the St Regis Shenzhen is typically great value with free-flow executive lounge privileges on the 100+ floor or staying at the Four Points in Shenzhen is less than a round of drinks in Hong Kong and offers an unlimited dim-sum lunch for less than 20USD pp. Getting a visa isn't as easy as pre COVID though, and the China "visa on arrival" scheme can be over subscribed, leading to long queues. If you have a China Visa though this could still be an option, though it will take approximately 2 hours to get from the Shenzhen StR to the centre of Hong Kong (made up of approximately 20 minutes metro in Shenzhen, up to one hour of border/visa processing time, then 40 minutes on the MTR to Admiralty station)

**Quarantine FYI**
In December 2020 the Hong Kong government agreed a list of quarantine only hotels for what became part of the world's strictest quarantine regimes with at points any person entering HK needing to spend 3 weeks in a hotel. A number of Marriott hotels took part in this programme at varying points until hotel quarantine was removed in late 2022. The "new" Four Points in Tung Chung didn't open for normal guests until after the end of quarantine, and at time others were on/off the list, including the high end W, then the Ocean Park Marriott, Renaissance, Ovolo, Mira Moon and so on. Of the Marriott brands, only the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton never took part.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Stay for one night few days ago at the Marriott airport. My expectations were not high, after all, it's an airport hotel. As a PP...trust me, I was wrong. For a rate of only 1400hkd, we had a private transfer from the airport, upgraded to a renovated and very nice suite...nice welcome amenities in the room......choice of breakfast in the lounge or downstairs plus the welcome points. Lounge is pretty huge. They have a frequent shuttle to Tung Chung...meaning access not only to the city plus a decent choice of shops and food outlets in Tung Chung. For that price, I think it's the best choice by far in HK. Ok it is further...but at the end, way way better than the Meridien Cyberport. They will see me again with the quality of this last and first stay!
mcgahat and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'd like any views on this property as well. As a PP would I get lounge access and breakfast like most other CYs in Asia?
I spent two nights here in September. As a PP I was upgraded to an Corner Harbourview Room on the 20th floor. You will have lounge access as a PP. In lieu of the 500 welcome points I had breakfast both days in the MoMo Cafe. Extensive buffett with made to order egg & noodle stations. The restauant reopened after a major renovation

The hotel also has a complimentary shuttle bus that runs almost hourly to Hong Kong Station which is perfect if you want to do In City check-in and take the train to the Airport.

Service was excellent and friendly efficient staff. I enjoyed my stay and will be back in a few weeks.

James

My Room CY Hong Kong.
dsquared37 and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
IMO there is only one place to stay in HK ... the JW , as platinum I am upgraded 90%+++ of the time, great lounge and gym
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Lani1
IMO there is only one place to stay in HK ... the JW , as platinum I am upgraded 90%+++ of the time, great lounge and gym
Would clear out nearly all of my points for 2 nights for 2 basic rooms so decided against it, plus thought I'd rather be on the Kennedy Town end of the island to explore that quieter area.
But yes, the JW looks fantastic.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Hong Kong recomendaiton

In looking through the various threads regarding Hong Kong many focused on the higher end hotels; I'm looking for a cat 4 or 5 hotel for a 5 day stay in March, 2019.

Details: My wife and I plan a visit; I've been to Hong Kong a couple of time; it's her first visit. We won't be doing any night life, etc. Two main objectives are Disneyland (never been) and just enjoying the ambiance of Hong Kong. We'll be taking public transportation during the trip with some walking tours, etc. I'm Platinum Premier Elite and this will be a points stay. As long as we have easy access to the subway I'm not particular which area we are in. Appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 marriott design hotels, not sure if any cat 4/5, having web issues
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by BruceWG
In looking through the various threads regarding Hong Kong many focused on the higher end hotels; I'm looking for a cat 4 or 5 hotel for a 5 day stay in March, 2019.

Details: My wife and I plan a visit; I've been to Hong Kong a couple of time; it's her first visit. We won't be doing any night life, etc. Two main objectives are Disneyland (never been) and just enjoying the ambiance of Hong Kong. We'll be taking public transportation during the trip with some walking tours, etc. I'm Platinum Premier Elite and this will be a points stay. As long as we have easy access to the subway I'm not particular which area we are in. Appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
I don't think Disneyland is worth going unless: 1. This is the first Disneyland you have been to (I went to all except the one in Japan and Shanghai), 2. You have kids that you need to take them for the rides, 3. You are an avid Disney fan that you have to visit all the parks.

If you want to go then SkyCity will be a good choice (I believe it's a cat 4), they have a shuttle taking you directly from the hotel to the park and then back at 8pm (after the fireworks I believe). I used the shuttle to the park and left before the fireworks to avoid crowd. There's a shuttle to Tung Chung MTR station where you can either head into the city or visit Lantau island.

I think the LM Cyber Port is also Cat 4 and it's in a very quite and beautiful area. They have shuttle to IFC where you can take the MTR or Airport express train to the airport.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
I don't think Disneyland is worth going unless: 1. This is the first Disneyland you have been to (I went to all except the one in Japan and Shanghai), 2. You have kids that you need to take them for the rides, 3. You are an avid Disney fan that you have to visit all the parks.

If you want to go then SkyCity will be a good choice (I believe it's a cat 4), they have a shuttle taking you directly from the hotel to the park and then back at 8pm (after the fireworks I believe). I used the shuttle to the park and left before the fireworks to avoid crowd. There's a shuttle to Tung Chung MTR station where you can either head into the city or visit Lantau island.

I think the LM Cyber Port is also Cat 4 and it's in a very quite and beautiful area. They have shuttle to IFC where you can take the MTR or Airport express train to the airport.
Thanks for your input. I guess we would fall into category 3 above We've been to the domestic parks and Paris Disneyland and I've also been to the Tokyo park. Thinking it would nice to add HK to the list and fares for next spring or fall are quite good right now. However I've heard similar feedback about the park from a few others so still giving it some thought.

Bruce
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BruceWG
Thanks for your input. I guess we would fall into category 3 above We've been to the domestic parks and Paris Disneyland and I've also been to the Tokyo park. Thinking it would nice to add HK to the list and fares for next spring or fall are quite good right now. However I've heard similar feedback about the park from a few others so still giving it some thought.

Bruce
Hi,

Slightly OT but there are a couple of Disneyland shops in the departures area of HKG so even if you decide not to go to the park you can buy Disney souvenirs at the airport. ( going to HKG disneyland in 2 weeks to see the christmas decorations)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went there last Feb. as it was the cheapest entertainment for the kids ($/hour) during Chinese New Year. They are now able to enjoy the rides - last time they went to Disneyland in CA my oldest was 3 and my youngest was 8 months old. There's no magical feeling in the park like WDW and Disneyland CA, music was loud (they already turned it down and it was crazy when I went there with the kids when the oldest was 2 - they kept using their hands covering their ears because it was just too loud). They liked the parade but again it's nothing like the US parks.

If you do want to go - I think HK Disneyland has Mickey 90s birthday until Feb. 2019. We will be going around that time (will use a legacy TP cert for SkyCity unless something better pops up) and my kids are already talking about wanting to go to Disneyland (we used to take them to Ocean Park but then I don't like seeing animals in captivity - took them to whale watching in the US and we finally saw whales in Monterey; plus the kids only want rides so Disneyland would be better - it's smaller and it means that they can get around quickly to run from ride to ride). Dumbo is also very popular in Hong Kong (just like WDW and Disneyland and Paris) - My husband and I had to queue for 45 minutes at WDW during magic hour!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Want to report that nothing has changed at Marriott SkyCity or Courtyard Sha Tin when it comes to elite treatments.

SkyCity now has a sheet for Welcome Amenities to choose from.
1) 1K pts
2) some wine and snack options

I dont recall seeing this in Jan 2017.

Elites continue can have breakfast at the lobby restaurant and continue to sign the chit but not getting the charge.
Lounge can be very full in some days during our 7 nights stay using the TP cert. Foods continue to be meh but reasonably enough to fill you up if needed.

Courtyard Sha Tin surprised us with the quality of MoMo Cafe buffet breakfast - it is better than the SkyCity because other than the noodle station not offering any meat protein (soybean products only), they have better veggie choices to make cooked dish, better dim sum (many varieties comparable to ordinary restaurants), similar cold Western breakfasts from smoked salmon/cold cuts to cereals and breads, leafy salads and fruits. They dont have veggie juices but they have unsweetened soy milk while SkyCity's is sweetened. Overall we like MoMo far more than SkyCity's.
The evening offerings at Courtyard Sha Tin actually have better hot dishes. What they lack is the variety of alcoholic options, but the foods are more edible and actually quite tasty the only night we had it - some Shanghainese style pork bun and another thing I dont remember now, plus a pasta with creamy sauce aside.

There is a new mall by the mtr station just opened a few months ago - there are lots of eateries, within 5 min walk from the hotel. Buses are far more convenient than Metro though. Aside from the A41P from airport, you can also take 87D to Nathan Road (hotel shuttle goes to TST only). You can also take 680 to Admiralty. Metro requires 3 transfers to go anywhere inside city.

At 12.5K with very good elite benefits, Courtyard now becomes a no brainer to us whenever we pass thru Hong Kong, which we do that often.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Happy
At 12.5K with very good elite benefits, Courtyard now becomes a no brainer to us whenever we pass thru Hong Kong, which we do that often.
That's an awfully good deal for Hong Kong.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's an awfully good deal for Hong Kong.
It would very well go back up next year now the flyertea folks talked about it often. Neither CY Hong Kong nor SkyCity is good enough to justify their 100% more cost at 25K. Though for those who rely on metro these 2 Cat 4 are easier for them to use the public transportation.

CY Sha Tin is better for the buses. There are 21 bus routes with their stops right in front of the hotel / across street. So much more convenient than taking the metro and is at about the same time needed to go into city center. Buses are never full, upper deck is comfortable and can be viewed as a mean to see the non-tourist sides of HKSAR.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't been to CY for quite some times now, last time it freaked me out that not all the rooms in the hotel has heating system and it was only 10 degree C in Hong Kong (I think it was February). Upgrades are hard to get because I was told that their GM told the FDC to upsell rather than giving out comp. upgrades. I was there when the hotel lounge was renovating and that's why I could have breakfast at the Momo's. It's nice to see that they are offering that again - but I don't know when that's going to last - it seems that the CY swings a lot in what they do.

SkyCity is better if you are more than 2 in a room - they have bigger rooms with 2 double beds - the beds in a double double room in the CY are smaller.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Haven't been to CY for quite some times now, last time it freaked me out that not all the rooms in the hotel has heating system and it was only 10 degree C in Hong Kong (I think it was February). Upgrades are hard to get because I was told that their GM told the FDC to upsell rather than giving out comp. upgrades. I was there when the hotel lounge was renovating and that's why I could have breakfast at the Momo's. It's nice to see that they are offering that again - but I don't know when that's going to last - it seems that the CY swings a lot in what they do.

SkyCity is better if you are more than 2 in a room - they have bigger rooms with 2 double beds - the beds in a double double room in the CY are smaller.
Believe you're talking about the other CY in HK which is the CY HK rather than the CY Sha Tin mentioned above, just for clarity's sake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.