Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadianidol
I know Reforma tower is newer than Danubio Tower.
The main tower facing Paseo de la Reforma is the original wing of the hotel, dating to 1962.

The tower at the back of the property, facing Calle Rio Danubio, was added after Sheraton took over, in 1969.

I don't know which tower has been renovated more recently, but the Danubio tower is definitely the newer one, if only marginally.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Off for four nights over this weekend. Will keep some good photos and answer any questions, if anyone has any.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by loganre17
Off for four nights over this weekend. Will keep some good photos and answer any questions, if anyone has any.
Status and what were you upgraded to?
If you have suggestions on what tower / floor / direction I should specifically request, Id appreciate that. I am Titanium and staying three nights second week of March.
Breakfast better in the club lounge or restaurant?
Anything nearby walking you highly recommend?
Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by vivrant
If you have suggestions on what tower / floor / direction I should specifically request, I’d appreciate that. I am Titanium and staying three nights second week of March.
Thanks!
I just returned from a four night stay for a President's Day long weekend. Very inexpensive rate ($70-$87 a night) for a weekend long stay rate. I used a Suite Night Award and was upgraded to a Corner Suite. I might have been upgraded without it, nonetheless, I had expiring Suite Nights to burn. The Corner Suite had a full view of the Angel de la Independencia statue itself, but not much surrounding it as it was in the rear of the building with a side view towards the statue. Nonetheless, I found the room just fine. It wasn't large and wasn't two separate rooms, but there was a separate living area with its own TV, chair, and sofa. Furnishings are the classic Sheraton style and not the most modern. Only minor complaint was the shower. The water wasn't as hot as I'd like it about one third of the time. The shower head also tended to soak much of the bathroom regardless of what I did with the curtain. They had refillable dispensers for soap and shampoo. While I don't remember the brand, it was much improved over the old Sheraton amenities and I'd take them any day over what they used to offer in the disposable bottles.

Club Lounge was open. Staff was serving the food from behind glass partitions due to Covid procedures. Both evening snacks and breakfast were good. I didn't make a meal of the evening snack. I probably could of, but coming to CDMX for lounge food is a waste. Complementary wine and beer (Corona only) were served through 8:30pm. Service overall was quite good. They do give you a $0 check to sign and add your room number to at the end of both breakfast and the evening snack. I added a few dollars tip each time.

My choice for this visit was between the Hilton Reforma and the Sheraton. In the end I mixed the Sheraton because it was about $200 less for the entire stay. I'd say the Hilton Reforma is a bit newer and slightly nicer. While they are both in a good location, I'd say the Sheraton is more convenient as it's central to almost every place you would want to visit. The Marriott Reforma is across the street, but I didn't like the reviews that mentioned most rooms have no view at all, and it sounds like upgrades are currently non-existent. When I return, I'll probably stay at the Sheraton again (or alternatively the Hilton). Great service, great location.

Sorry did not take any pictures.

Also, if you are visiting soon, while everything in open in Mexico City, there are still very noticeable covid procedures. Masking indoors of course. I also found almost all locals wearing masks outdoors. Many places (including the hotel) have temperature checks - although at the hotel they usually didn't enforce. There was even one place where I was sprayed down with disinfectant. Many establishments have some sort of shoe disinfection mat. Masks I understand but it doesn't seem like they got the message that Covid doesn't spread on surfaces. Nor are temperature checks all that effective.

Nonetheless, most everything was open including restaurants and bars.

Dave
vivrant likes this.

Last edited by dave456; Feb 21, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by vivrant
If you have suggestions on what tower / floor / direction I should specifically request, Id appreciate that. I am Titanium and staying three nights second week of March.
Thanks!
Booked basic room, as a titanium complimentary upgrade to Alcove suite at checkin on the 16th floor. Breakfast is only in the club lounge, full buffet style served by staff. Happy hour with corona and wine from 6:30 - 8:30.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:57 pm

Here's some pictures from my long weekend stay. Overall, a very pleasant stay. Obviously, Sheratons are decently outdated now.

I paid approx 75 USD/night, and with double EQN and additional 1k/night, it made sense. Great location, especially easy to navigate to in the night.

Booked lowest room and was upgraded to an "alcove suite" as a titanium. Club lounge had breakfast (buffest served to you) and happy hour (6:00 - 8:30) which had Corona and house wine, along with some hors d'oeuvres.

Welcome gift was a passport cover or 1k points. The nice Mexican snack thing was a great touch.

skrosvik likes this.

Last edited by loganre17; Feb 28, 2022 at 9:33 am
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:46 pm

[QUOTE=dave456;34012475My choice for this visit was between the Hilton Reforma and the Sheraton. In the end I mixed the Sheraton because it was about $200 less for the entire stay. I'd say the Hilton Reforma is a bit newer and slightly nicer. While they are both in a good location, I'd say the Sheraton is more convenient as it's central to almost every place you would want to visit. The Marriott Reforma is across the street, but I didn't like the reviews that mentioned most rooms have no view at all, and it sounds like upgrades are currently non-existent. When I return, I'll probably stay at the Sheraton again (or alternatively the Hilton). Great service, great location.
[/QUOTE]

The Hilton Reforma is misleadingly named. It's not on the Reforma, it's actually just on the edge of the Centro Historico, across from the Alameda Central park and the Palacio de Bellas Artes. It used to be the Sheraton Centro Historico, which was a more accurate name. I stayed at an Airbnb next door last time I was there and went inside to look around.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
At the hotel for 5 nights now....I think I pay little under 100 USD per night. Not bad for a weekday stay. I second the review above. A very pleasant hotel, but it is extremely outdated. Barely working bathroom fixtures from the 70s and furniture from the late 80s, I guess. Having said that it's very comfortable. Was upgraded to a corner suite on the 17th floor with commanding views of the Reforma and the Angel Monument. The suite has a separate living area, with it's own roomnumber. Two full bathrooms. Large sitting group, coffee machine, and ample space. Bed is great as usual, but the duvet is one of the thickest/heaviest I have encountered at any hotel, I think. And it's sooooo firmly tucked away far under the mattress - I had a Constanza moment last night. Water, ample amounts of wet wipes and masks, larger bottles of mouth water and so on provided too, which is a nice touch.

The staff is nice. They forgot to service my room today, but housekeeping came immediately when reminded. Lounge has breakfast till 11 AM, which I appreciate. Both breakfast and evening snacks are served to you, like mentioned above. I much prefer self service though, so hopefully they will resume that in the not too distant future. Loads of very loud people in the lounge, but that's not the hotels fault. Corona and wine served to your table, the staff are very attentive and as soon as one beer is finished they bring another one. The white wine is horrendous, so I do see why they want to get rid of that. The food, both breakfast and evening snacks, were nice I find it quite silly that you have to sign bills before leaving the lounge (both at breakfast and in the evening) - I have only experienced this at some very few hotels in Asia. Everything is free anyway....

The pool is only open till 7 PM, so haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

But most of all, I love the location of this hotel, all the hustle and bustle of this sprawling capital city just outside the door. Having said that, I enjoyed my stay at the defunct Sheraton Centro Historico too (many years ago), but Maria Isabel is nicer

Last edited by skrosvik; Feb 28, 2022 at 8:32 pm
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: Miles&More
Guys im jus staying in this hotel. And there're still Covid rules, especially in the Lounge. I do not like that. You get also this silly bill. Do you really tip them? Breakfast and Lounge is a benefit. Why tip? I find it very stupid and silly. In the end this means, its not free, tip is also a charge.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vanheslig
Guys im jus staying in this hotel. And there're still Covid rules, especially in the Lounge. I do not like that. You get also this silly bill. Do you really tip them? Breakfast and Lounge is a benefit. Why tip? I find it very stupid and silly. In the end this means, its not free, tip is also a charge.
The covid rules in January (my last visit) were pretty minimal - i.e., you pointed and they served your food. Better than chanchos with dirty hands touching all the utensils.

It is a benefit, but these people work for low wages and have generally been extremely nice and over accommodating, on my several visits. (I know, not your problem, and I don't want to get into the politics of tipping.) So I generally leave them some $ and they remember me from day to day, and go out of their way to be kind. I have found the lounge staff to be some of the best of any mid-range SPG/Marriott property anywhere I've stayed. Leaving them MXN $50 or $100 (for 1 or 2) doesn't' affect my life and truly makes their day.
Tanic and lamphs like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:33 am

Its the same over at the Marriott across the street. They make you sign every time you use it with a zeroed out bill and a tip line. I tipped cash at the end of the stay because it would have been difficult to reconcile and expense each tip line item on the final bill.

according to the Marriott on the lounge sheet, its for internal tracking of usage .
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Stayed here over the holiday weekend. Loved the location. Our room "upgrade" wasn't much of one but given the holiday weekend and a busy hotel I can understand not getting a suite. Just wish it had been a king bed vs two fulls. The view was fantastic though.

Great service, did the free breakfast with my status one morning and it was pretty solid (didn't come here to eat hotel food so didn't bother taking advantage every day).

Will definitely be back to Mexico City, may try another part of town next time now that I know my way around a bit.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Stayed here over the holiday weekend. Loved the location. Our room "upgrade" wasn't much of one but given the holiday weekend and a busy hotel I can understand not getting a suite. Just wish it had been a king bed vs two fulls. The view was fantastic though.

Great service, did the free breakfast with my status one morning and it was pretty solid (didn't come here to eat hotel food so didn't bother taking advantage every day).

Will definitely be back to Mexico City, may try another part of town next time now that I know my way around a bit.
Are the Covid rules over in the hotel now? I last went to MEX in Aug 2021 and had to deal with a bunch of rules. And the reviews further up, including in July of this year, still talk about them. Granted I usually stay at Le Meridien and not the Sheraton but I've got a reservation at the Sheraton for next month.

-RM
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Are the Covid rules over in the hotel now? I last went to MEX in Aug 2021 and had to deal with a bunch of rules. And the reviews further up, including in July of this year, still talk about them. Granted I usually stay at Le Meridien and not the Sheraton but I've got a reservation at the Sheraton for next month.

-RM
None at the hotel. Only place I really saw any rules were the airport and museums.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Another fantastic upgrade as usual...

Delete

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.