Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New York City EDITION [Master Thread]

New York City EDITION [Master Thread]

Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
Plat got us nothing except a late checkout (which was granted without hesitation). The no points for incidentals stopped me from spending in any of the hotel restaurants. Doesn't seem like a very smart policy to me.
Is this the case for this hotel only, or for Edition as a brand?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
What an odd Resort Fee. Is it really $35 + $50 + $40 = $125 in daily credits for a $35 resort fee? I got this email today for my upcoming 5-day stay:

Lastly, please note that our property now provides the following daily credits to your room through a daily $35 destination fee. The credits are a daily credit and do not accumulate. We hope you enjoy each of the below benefits.

$35 Food & Beverage credit for our Lobby Bar

$50 Spa credit

$40 Laundry and dry cleaning services

Unlimited local, long distance, & international calls
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
Is this the case for this hotel only, or for Edition as a brand?
It was true for the brand as a whole. I know that's changed for RC with the new T&C, don't recall what status is with Edition.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Catskilltraveller
I must say that we are huge fans of the New York Edition. We have stayed at most of the Hilton, SPG and Marriott options in the city. That includes Ritz on Central Park South. Edition wins hands down
​​​​​
The Edition is frequently available under $400 per night on an FHR rate (which will give you actual benefits, unlike Marriott status). At that price point, 60k for an award is not a good deal at all. In fact, the paid FHR rate would have to be over $500/night for the award to pencil out.

I personally did not like this property at all, though I love the location, which is IMO among the best in Manhattan.
Two very different opinions (from a different thread FWIW) on the same property! Care to explain why each of you likes and dislikes the hotel? Thanks for whatever you can share.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by bhrubin

​​​​​

Two very different opinions (from a different thread FWIW) on the same property! Care to explain why each of you likes and dislikes the hotel? Thanks for whatever you can share.
I stayed at this hotel in Feb of this year for a night. I was not mightily impressed by the hotel - although I found it better than the RC Battery Park.

I posted my review on Marriott Insiders:

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...edition-review

A couple more reviews if you are interested:

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/54664

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...-new-york-city
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
It was true for the brand as a whole. I know that's changed for RC with the new T&C, don't recall what status is with Edition.
I stayed earlier this month at Bodrum EDITION and did not get points on my incidentals so it does not look like anything has changed with EDITION post August 18th.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by bhrubin

​​​​​

Edition hotels are heavily stylized, expensive, and offer few elite benefits. You have to like the style to like the hotel. The service can be good, but it can also be a bit aloof. I know this is the NYC thread, but I've stayed at the London property and loved it. However, you will notice the London property isn't much discussed or highly rated by Flyertalk members. Both hotels are highly ranked on TripAdvisor (above most other Marriott or Starwood options) but they don't get a lot of love here.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Edition hotels are heavily stylized, expensive, and offer few elite benefits. You have to like the style to like the hotel. The service can be good, but it can also be a bit aloof. I know this is the NYC thread, but I've stayed at the London property and loved it. However, you will notice the London property isn't much discussed or highly rated by Flyertalk members. Both hotels are highly ranked on TripAdvisor (above most other Marriott or Starwood options) but they don't get a lot of love here.
Yeah, I care less about the breakfast benefit (or lounge access) and care far more about the actual luxury experience (and even the chance to get upgraded since I'm Ambassador status). The truth is that the hotel is a very nice W-esque luxury experience and has upgraded me once already to a suite and upgraded my sister once when I gave them an award night! So the elite recognition is stellar for the purposes that matter to me. But more important is that the hotel be luxurious and offer excellent service.

I already know that the Edition is very W-esque, which obviously appeals to some (including us) and not others. I've also stayed at the London Edition (where I didn't get upgraded at all but very much enjoyed the stay and service). I like this New York Edition much more than the W properties in NYC. But not nearly as much as I love the StR and Chatwal!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by ralphs
What an odd Resort Fee. Is it really $35 + $50 + $40 = $125 in daily credits for a $35 resort fee? I got this email today for my upcoming 5-day stay:

Lastly, please note that our property now provides the following daily credits to your room through a daily $35 destination fee. The credits are a daily credit and do not accumulate. We hope you enjoy each of the below benefits.

$35 Food & Beverage credit for our Lobby Bar

$50 Spa credit

$40 Laundry and dry cleaning services

Unlimited local, long distance, & international calls
Update: I was not charged the resort fee nor did I partake in the benefits. The front desk didn't mention it at all, and I thought it best to let sleeping dogs lay.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Update: I was not charged the resort fee nor did I partake in the benefits. The front desk didn't mention it at all, and I thought it best to let sleeping dogs lay.
Is this resort fee a new thing for this property? We are staying there in January and notice it's included on the reservation.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by iamalexchung
Is this resort fee a new thing for this property? We are staying there in January and notice it's included on the reservation.
How new, I can't say. My Hen and I stayed at the NYC Edition for 5 nights on points last month. We were charged $35 a day (plus taxes, 8.875% state sales and 5.875% occupancy) for each day. We stopped at the bar for three of those days. Each bar bill was reduced by $35 and we were charged for the difference (for example, our bar bill on the first day was $35.13, our folio showed a charge of 13 cents along with the fee of $35+taxes). I had three t-shirts laundered (at $10 a shirt + taxes). This laundry bill did not show off on the folio at all (the FDC said because the total owed was under $35).

The bar has a very limited food menu and the drink prices are in the high teens for a glass of wine. Two drinks plus tax and you'll be over the $35. Also this fee does not carry over to the ClockTower restaurant. One has to use the $35 at the bar, laundry service or for a massage. We basically ate outside the Edition for dinner, and came back for after dinner drinks and ice cream.

The Edition is a fine hotel, but not over the top great. It is nothing like the old Waldorf Astoria Towers, with their outstanding level of service. The door men were there, sometimes. There was a different bar tender each of the three evenings we stopped by the bar. Some pours were generous, others not as much. It looked like a lot of locals use the bar, many customers were using credit cards to pay their bills, not a room charge.

For public transportation, the location is is one of the best in NYC. Two different subway lines and a uptown and cross town bus line within a block of the hotel. The park across the street has a young children's play area and for NYC is well kept. Our room was next to a young couple with an infant. I could hear the child from the hallway, but not inside our room. There is a grocery nearby and several diners, where you can get a breakfast for about $10.

The Edition is definitely a hotel to consider in NYC if you are its price point.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iamalexchung
Many of the Marriott and SPG NYC properties have added a destination (not resort) fee within the past year.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ae...&lk=1000323402

Ugh.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How can they afford to provide UNLIMITED INTERNATIONAL calling ? Can you call expensive destinations such as Comoros or Chad for hours ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.