Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New York City EDITION [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York City EDITION [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The high room rates are driven by the design (which some people like) and public spaces - like all Edition hotels.
No, I understand what's driving it. I just don't understand people who are willing to pay those rates for this design and these rooms. I can't imagine paying the kinds of rates this property regularly commands if it was coming out of my own pocket.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I concede that hotel experiences can vary widely even within the same property based on room type, etc. Personally, I had a great experience. The room was in good condition (esp. compared to what I got at the JW, yikes), had a desk and fast internet, responsive front desk and housekeeping. Maybe I'm just a weirdo who likes clean and simple designs?

I wouldn't pay the cash rate, but if we're just strictly talking about location and quality of hard/soft product in the city compared to the alternatives, I'd pick the NY Edition over pretty much anything else at this point (in the full service category), except maybe the new Ritz or LM on 5th. Haven't tried those yet, but they are new.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Dining credit

Does anyone know if the dining credit actually applies by day or if they total at check out? Like if I stay 2 nights and have $70 in credit, can I just spend it all on 1 meal? Or do I need to do $35 each day?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Does anyone know if the dining credit actually applies by day or if they total at check out? Like if I stay 2 nights and have $70 in credit, can I just spend it all on 1 meal? Or do I need to do $35 each day?
It's a daily credit. Does not carry over.

Note that the tabulation is done manually at checkout (from what the bartender told me) so if you try to wait until past midnight to pay the bar tab, it still counts for "that day" (i.e. not "the following day" if you wanted to try and game the system).
------
Edit: while I'm at it, some photos of a different room I had on a subsequent stay (40th floor).
Spoiler

Bit of mildew around the shower glass, and could hear the elevator noise, but was otherwise a really killer view from what amounts to basically being inside the clock tower. I'm appreciative of the FDA giving me this room considering they were fully booked out that night by some bank, and I'd originally only booked a queen. Bunch of young finance looking types in the lobby at check-in.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Last edited by Polytonic; Jan 7, 2023 at 5:17 pm
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
CS

Originally Posted by Polytonic
It's a daily credit. Does not carry over.

Note that the tabulation is done manually at checkout (from what the bartender told me) so if you try to wait until past midnight to pay the bar tab, it still counts for "that day" (i.e. not "the following day" if you wanted to try and game the system).
------
Edit: while I'm at it, some photos of a different room I had on a subsequent stay (40th floor).
Spoiler

Bit of mildew around the shower glass, and could hear the elevator noise, but was otherwise a really killer view from what amounts to basically being inside the clock tower. I'm appreciative of the FDA giving me this room considering they were fully booked out that night by some bank, and I'd originally only booked a queen. Bunch of young finance looking types in the lobby at check-in.
The property is right next to Credit Suisse, a major global bank, so thags likely what it was.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:44 pm

No recognition of titanium status, no upgrade despite availability on the website. Room was TINY, smallest hotel room I've ever been in, some of the rooms above look bigger than the standard room I received. I treated a friend to lunch at the Clocktower and his steak/eggs were both overcooked, he was too polite and didn't want to send it back. Not a happy experience. The front desk person is very good at saying "no". Like at least pretend to check if you can upgrade the room.

Apparently management does not care about repeat business, because I can't imagine going to a hotel that cares so little about loyalty status. There's no breakfast, no upgrade, tiny rooms. The slightest effort to upgrade me and I would return or at least not think poorly of the hotel.
Old May 26, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Currently staying here for five nights as a titanium member. Seemed like a good deal for 251k points. Booked a superior room and received… a superior room. Did ask nicely at checkin about another room type but was politely informed in a friendly manner that there was nothing left to upgrade to - of course, it is standard practice in the US to not preassign elites room upgrades the night before or the morning of the stay, and attempt to sell every possible upgraded room before elites arrive (very different to Europe, Australia and the Middle East). Late checkout at 4pm granted without quibble and was actually offered in the prearrival email.

Superior room view is small but fairly nice and the room design is far more sensible than the TS EDITION. Very quiet room. Good view of Empire State Building. Air con works well. Bed is comfortable. Location is excellent.

Apparently the Clocktower restaurant is not eligible for earning Marriott Bonvoy points, as it’s third party. Rather dubiously, I have also been informed via chat that only the room rate earns points, and not the Lobby Bar or room service.

Please can anyone confirm if non room rate charges earn points?
Old May 26, 2023, 6:37 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I did not receive any points on spend in the lobby bar but I also did not care to challenge it with Marriott directly.

I have spent over 100 nights at this hotel. They do upgrade repeat guests up to the Loft Suite, which is a pretty nice room. However, there are serious maintenance issues with the bathrooms that cause leaks from the floors above. This results in very ugly water damage in every loft suite I’ve stayed at.

It would be a solid hotel if it weren’t for those maintenance issues. IMO it has the best location amongst the other nicer Marriott properties in NYC by a wide margin.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Currently staying here for five nights as a titanium member. Seemed like a good deal for 251k points. Booked a superior room and received… a superior room. Did ask nicely at checkin about another room type but was politely informed in a friendly manner that there was nothing left to upgrade to - of course, it is standard practice in the US to not preassign elites room upgrades the night before or the morning of the stay, and attempt to sell every possible upgraded room before elites arrive (very different to Europe, Australia and the Middle East). Late checkout at 4pm granted without quibble and was actually offered in the prearrival email.

Superior room view is small but fairly nice and the room design is far more sensible than the TS EDITION. Very quiet room. Good view of Empire State Building. Air con works well. Bed is comfortable. Location is excellent.

Apparently the Clocktower restaurant is not eligible for earning Marriott Bonvoy points, as it’s third party. Rather dubiously, I have also been informed via chat that only the room rate earns points, and not the Lobby Bar or room service.

In my experience, I've always received very generous treatment from this hotel as a repeat guest. I've gotten some pretty great rooms despite the hotel being fully booked out by finance types.

I did not receive points on charges at the lobby bar, but the $35 destination fee should more than cover a drink or food item a day.

Originally Posted by WasKnown
I did not receive any points on spend in the lobby bar but I also did not care to challenge it with Marriott directly.

I have spent over 100 nights at this hotel. They do upgrade repeat guests up to the Loft Suite, which is a pretty nice room. However, there are serious maintenance issues with the bathrooms that cause leaks from the floors above. This results in very ugly water damage in every loft suite I’ve stayed at.

It would be a solid hotel if it weren’t for those maintenance issues. IMO it has the best location amongst the other nicer Marriott properties in NYC by a wide margin.
Oh interesting, I thought the water damage in my most recent room was a one-off. I noticed a lot of mildew and brown gunk around the shower area which was mildly off-putting, but for New York I've seen much worse.

I agree with you on the location--this is one of my favorite properties in the city.
Old May 26, 2023, 11:21 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Oh interesting, I thought the water damage in my most recent room was a one-off. I noticed a lot of mildew and brown gunk around the shower area which was mildly off-putting, but for New York I've seen much worse.

I agree with you on the location--this is one of my favorite properties in the city.
I’ve noticed some sort of water damage in almost every room I’ve seen at this hotel and certainly every Loft suite. It’s a shame. If they maintained the hotel to a basic standard, they could get by just on the location alone. I’ve mentioned the water damage to management multiple times. It’s been more than a year and a half since I first brought it up and it seems like the issue is not addressed. It may be a structural/fundamental issue due to how old the building itself is.

The hotel still has no real relationship with EMP despite the entrances being within spitting distance of each other (almost literally).
Old Sep 17, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
2 night stay on points

Got the room type booked but was upgraded to a high floor (30th) room. Very quiet - no street noise. Fantastic design of the whole hotel. Lobby coffee in the morning was great. Enjoyed the bar a couple times. Only issue was housekeeping never came even though we specifically called to request it and the request was confirmed via phone. As others have mentioned the location is excellent. Would absolutely return anytime I’m in NYC.

Update: the hotel proactively made the housekeeping issue right by calling me, apologizing, and offering points which they deposited the next day. Awesome service recovery. Can't wait to go back to this hotel.

Last edited by Nash_Andrew; Sep 21, 2023 at 1:49 pm Reason: Update about housekeeping issue
Old Sep 22, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Need to stay near the Flatiron, between the LM Fifth Ave and Edition, for roughly the same redemption cost, which would you recommend? Leaning towards LM for three reasons, 1) no destination fee, and with status I get some benefits at LM (don't care too much about breakfast, since it's NY) 2) edition is somewhat polarizing that it is a little worn and LM is relatively new 3) closer to Penn station. Still looking for thoughts as I don't see a thread on LM.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by safari ari
Still looking for thoughts as I don't see a thread on LM.
Le Méridien New York, Fifth Avenue [Master Thread]
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Need to stay near the Flatiron, between the LM Fifth Ave and Edition
Geography seems a bit off there. If you need to be near the Flatiron, the NY Edition is literally a block away.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Need to stay near the Flatiron, between the LM Fifth Ave and Edition, for roughly the same redemption cost, which would you recommend? Leaning towards LM for three reasons, 1) no destination fee, and with status I get some benefits at LM (don't care too much about breakfast, since it's NY) 2) edition is somewhat polarizing that it is a little worn and LM is relatively new 3) closer to Penn station. Still looking for thoughts as I don't see a thread on LM.
I haven’t done the LM, but the EDITION would be ideal location wise, as Kacee has pointed out. I enjoyed my five nights on points at the NY EDITION in May, even though I received the typical North American EDITION elite treatment of no real upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.