Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
And it just increased from a Cat. 2 to a Cat 4 during construction
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
still not ready

the sheraton is stil not ready.
we spent there 3 nights, hotel is still under construction.

meridien is a great hotel, we got upgraded to a suite there.

dp
Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Sheraton Algarve and Sheraton Lisboa reviews

Sheraton Algarve Hotel and Resort (2 nights – 4K points + $60/night)
This was my first Starwood property stay on this trip and I had been looking forward to it after reading the posts on the excellent service and beautiful grounds. We arrived at the hotel around 6:30pm after a 25 minute drive from the airport (about €30-€35). The hotel itself it is a relatively large complex and right outside the gates there are a number of restaurants and shops. As other posters have suggested, be sure to visit the grocery store there to buy your food, drink, snacks, etc. as the hotel prices are quite expensive (e.g. a 1L bottle of water at the hotel is €6.50, but at the store it’s €0.41 – a HUGE difference!) Reception wasn’t busy at all but it took a bit for the receptionist to get over to us to begin check-in. Very friendly service and seemed genuine. I had read previously about Platinum members receiving upgrades to the duplex suites with ocean views and hopeful that we would get the same. Desk agent said that we were upgraded to a junior suite with garden view and when I inquired about the duplex suites she said they were all sold out. I pressed her a bit but with no luck. The General manager was walking around the lobby and came over and greeted us (by name) and said that she was very sorry that no rooms were available tonight, but that they would upgrade us tomorrow night after a big convention group left. I received the Platinum amenity choice card, but since there was no points option I chose the in-room movie (which I ended up not using )

The Junior Suite with garden view we had for the first night was very nice, and well decorated. The style at the hotel is elegant but a bit dated, though they have LCD TVs and other modern amenities installed. Disappointing that neither room had hotel wireless in it, but that on the second night I was able to get the Vodafone wireless, but it was a very inconsistent and weak signal. The next morning we got a call about 11:00am from the front desk saying we could switch to the Duplex Suite whenever we were ready and they would move all our bags for us. The duplex suite was very nice – the upper level had a kind bed with a Romeo and Juliet style balcony facing the ocean and the bathroom was at the back; the lower level had a living room with terrace overlooking the ocean complete with chairs and a decent sized W.C. near the entrance. This room had not been redone as recently as the Junior Suite (e.g. lacked an Ethernet cable, no rainforest showerhead, etc.) but did have the nice view and was much larger. All-in-all I think that we would have stayed in the Junior Suite until they upgrade the duplex suites with more modern amenities. When they do upgrade the duplex suites and redo them, they will be definitely be my first choice. In the meantime, I’d be curious to try an Ocean view Junior Suite, though I’m not entirely sure this property has any.

Room service was expensive but the food was pretty good overall – though I would definitely checkout the restaurants outside the property as the quality difference is marginal, but the price difference is quite large. Part of the Platinum recognition was that breakfast was included each day – the buffet was good, but I wouldn’t necessarily pay for it and probably would have just went with ala carte, ate off property, or bought something at the grocery store, had it not been included.

As for the facilities, the hotel grounds are large and there are at least two (maybe three?) pools – outdoor and indoor. The fitness room was decent but not great, though between that and the trails throughout the property you should be able to keep a relatively strong workout routine. The beach is a bit of a trek, down stairs or an elevator and then a meandering boardwalk through the orange cliffs that the property sits on. Unfortunately it rained and was overcast for a good portion of our stay so we didn’t spend that much time at the beach, but from what we saw when we were there it looked pretty decent.

All-in-all the property is pretty nice and the service is great, but it is getting a bit dated. I’d love to see them redo all the rooms (similar to what they did at the Sheraton Kauai) and then I think this property would be top notch – that said, at 10,000 points/night year round, and a pretty consistent points/cash option, it’s a great deal, especially considering that the lowest rate I found during our stay was €205 for a standard room/night.

Sheraton Lisboa Hotel and Spa (2 nights - €125/night)
If there was a problem child property of the trip, the Sheraton Lisboa was it. We arrived by train from Faro at about 5:00pm – and for reference, this hotel is a good distance cab ride from the Lisbon-Oriente train station, so I would suggest getting off at one of the earlier stops in Lisbon closer to the city center. On the plus side, it’s a 5-10 minute cab ride from the airport, which is very nice.

I had booked a Superior double room and had seen that they had upgraded me ahead of time to the Club level room, but according to the website they had suites available as well. At check-in I asked about upgrade to a suite and the desk agent said they had none available. I pressed her on it (since I had checked the website just a few hours before) and she said there were none. I then asked her if I wanted to buy a suite, that there were none – and she said that was true. At that point I told her I was going to call the Platinum concierge and see if there were suites available and she said I was welcome to and if I “needed the number”. I pulled out my cell phone and called the Platinum line and confirmed that there were indeed suites available and then gave the phone to the desk clerk so that she could confirm it as well. The Platinum concierge confirmed it with her and then the agent called her manager; after she got off the phone she the admitted there were suites available, but that I was not allowed to be upgraded to one. I pressed further and then her manager showed up and apologized saying “we don’t normally give suite upgrades to Platinum members, but in this case we will make an exception.” The whole ordeal took 20-25 minutes but the added effort was more than worth it upon seeing the suite – two rooms, recently remodeled with a very modern feel – similar to many newer Westin or Le Meridien properties. The living room had a good sized desk, a love seat, two chairs, and a WC (no shower). The bedroom had two twin beds, plus a chair and small table. The windows in the living room had electronically controlled blackout shades which gave it a very theatre room-like feel, whereas there were electronically controlled blinds on the window separating the bathroom and the bedroom – serving a similar function to the “magic window” at the Princeville.

Unfortunately while the facilities were very nice the service and soft product was definitely lacking. Our room came with a free breakfast, either a full buffet in the restaurant downstairs or a continental service in the lounge upstairs. The full buffet was disappointing, with cold eggs, undercooked meat products, and very poor service. I had to ask twice for coffee to be brought to the table and they still took 10 minutes to get it to me. The executive lounge had good food presentation in the evening, but was relatively limited compared to other properties I visited (only one or two hors d'oeuvres for the food, and only champagne and wine for the alcohol. Room service was also slow and poor; I called down one evening and they said that they would call me back “in a while” – I still hadn’t heard from them 20 minutes later and so I called back, again being told they would call me back immediately.

To top off the problems, one week later I still have only received the points for one night of charges, and no Platinum amenity points, in spite of the fact I asked for and clarified both upon checkout. Overall, I’d say this hotel is a decent value at the rate I paid, but only if you can get upgraded to a suite. The service was consistently pretty poor and had I not received the suite I would have been a lot less forgiving. Next time I will definitely try Le Meridien, which is about a 15-20 minute walk and seemingly a bit more central.

These were the only two Starwoods we stayed at in Portugal, and the reports on the Rome properties to come later.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:33 pm

Location: Europe, Asia, South America, wherever life takes me.
Programs: SPG (...)
Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa (Lisbon, Portugal) > bad service

(...)

Last edited by SPG.pt; Mar 31, 2008 at 3:50 pm Reason: Sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest difference.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
yeah

Originally Posted by SPG.pt
> I'm currently staying at the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa. (Lisbon, Portugal)

> My tonight experience in the "Lobby bar" at the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa (Portugal), has not been an example of the Starwood Hotels highest quality guests service.

The associates in service in the bar was absent and when he came back he made question to clarify me that the bar would go to close briefly. Although questioned 2 times about the closing hour, it kept as reply "close briefly".

I enter in the bar at 12:30 AM (I know the bar closes at 1:00 AM) and I paid the account at 12:45 AM. With so much "affection", it does not admire me that the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa (Portugal) "Lobby bar" was so empty!

> Hotels Management must have containment of costs, but finish with a secular tradition in the Worldwide Hotels industry, as it is the "small chocolate" of good night, is not elegant in a five stars hotel... as the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa (Portugal)!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
AC.
SPG Platinum,
30 stays in the first 6 months, 2007.
its a bad hotel.

go to the meridian!

dp
Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by derpelikan
its a bad hotel.

go to the meridian!

dp
I have not stayed at the Meridien but I really quite like the Sheraton Lisboa. The room design is clean and modern, the bathrooms are great and I have had no problem with service over the last 8 months (approximately 5 stays). My only 2 annoyances are that apparently this hotel now has no standard suites (at least that was what I was told last week) and thus I have never had a suite upgrade (although I have been upgraded to a club floor each visit) and the club lounge can be frequently unattended and it is not really configured for self service drinks.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone stayed here in the past few months?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Stayed here Dec 26-Jan1

Stayed on my wife's Gold...were upgraded to a SPG floor with a great view of the bridge and river.

Did not have access to the club lounge so can not comment on that portion of the hotel. We found the service quite acceptable, altho indeed the lobby bar service was quite slow. The service on the top floor bar was fast and attentive. As was the service in the restaurant on the top floor (can't remember the name). We also had excellent service AND food in the lobby restaurant. If you want the view go to the top floor, if you want the food go to the lobby.

Room was modern and comfortable with nice bathroom and amenities (included a scale which always makes my wife happy). We received a large bottle of water every day.

Liked the location...could access the metro thru the back door of a near by small indoor shopping center.

We used room service a few times, but the menu was limited. We had a terrific view of all the fireworks on New Year's Eve from our window in our room.

Would recommend this hotel to others.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent, thanks. So I'll do one night here and one night at the Meridien and will have something to compare. Superb!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:24 pm

Club lounge here is decent, with good selections of snacks and alcohol. I really like the style of the hotel (not sure if its a remodel, or that was how it was built?) There is a nice little mall in the bottom of the hotel and a larger one across the street should you need to purchase any clothes, etc.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mysteryman2007
Club lounge here is decent, with good selections of snacks and alcohol. I really like the style of the hotel (not sure if its a remodel, or that was how it was built?) There is a nice little mall in the bottom of the hotel and a larger one across the street should you need to purchase any clothes, etc.
It is a remodel, it has changed dramatically from my first stay in 2004.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:10 pm

Question Parking fees at the Sheratons Lisbon and Porto

Is it true that parking is free at the Sheraton Lisbon?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have just had a unique experience at the Sheraton Lisboa.

We arrived early yesterday (09:30) and were told that no rooms were available unless we paid an early check in fee I said that we would just store our bags with them until our room was ready but in the meantime could we use the club lounge and I was told yes. Check in was completed and we went to the lounge.

We had a coffee and some light nreakfast in the club lounge and then left to do some sightseeing (since in over 10 trips to Lisbon I have seen little outside of hotel rooms and offices). Upon our return at 15:30 we received our room key and went to our standard club room (as is the norm since this hotel never provides suite upgrades). We had a nice if rather expensive (at €250) dinner and after breakfast this morning went to check out from the property.

My room charge had around €40 added for "room service breakfast". I queried this as we had no even been resident yesterday when this charge was made. It appear that this charge was levied for the lounge breakfast. I was very annoyed at this but was told that since I could only check in from 2pm thsi charge was normal, despite no attempt whatsoever to notify me of this charge in advance or to seek my consent for the charge at the time it was levied.

I can understand the broad point that lounge use should be for residents but in over 10 years experience acroos a variety of chains I have often been directed to the lounge when I have been unable to complete check in after an early arrival and never once have experienced a charge for use of the lounge in these circumstances.

The front office manager also sought to justify the charge, but after much argument on my part removed it.

I spent almost €500 on a one night stay and object strongly to this behaviour, I have stayed at this property around 8 times (7 of which have been in the last year and most in the reverse situation where I have arrived at midnight).

To make things worse there appeared to be no doorman at the property (unlike all previous visits). On 4 occasions I had to wander around the corner to find a taxi rank to take a cab. Unlike at the former Meridian (now Tiara) Park Atlantic, where the doorman was superb.

It very much appears that allowing reasonable flexibility for regular customers is not a feature of this property and I will ensure that I stay at alternative properties in future whenever I visit Lisbon.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
mixed blessings at the Sheraton Lisboa

I stayed there last month for the first time after remodeling (the hotel, not me)and it's really impressive how drastically things went. It is quite a good makeover, really. The leather doors at Club floor are an especially nice touch - I do not know if this lavishness has been extended to the lower floors.

To complete previous information, the club lounge is mostly covered in black tiles, and most morticians I know would consider this a great working environment. Snacks are scarce and wine is piss-poor, but at least there is now a lounge, so let's not bite the hand, even if this hand is, as most of this property's staff, either busy elsewhere or intrusive... and I mean that metaphorically.

Training seems to be this property's main problem. I went through a surreal check-in experience (the way my Platinum card was scrutinized, I started believing that forgery was the plague of Starwood properties: you see, "the system said I was Gold"). Three people on the phone were absolutely clueless about simple issues I wanted solved (how do you prevent the TV set from flashing messages in the middle of the night being the more annoying one). Housekeeping called and knocked while I tried to make the best of my late check-out by taking a nap - with the "Do not disturb" sign on the door. Check out gently informed me that such a series of unfortunate events never happened, and that everything would be super next time. I seriously considered punching him.

A little bit of escalating from Satisfaction Questionnaire to Hotel Manager to Customer Service (due to the lack of reaction from said Manager) triggered a super-nice response from the hotel, however, as I received a gift certificate for two week-end nights in a junior suite, which I booked this summer. I will therefore be able to report on the elusive suite upgrade...

So, mixed blessings, really... But as usual the quality of Starwood Customer Service makes the difference. As a result, I will have pay for stays in Evora and Porto on top of Lisbon, which I would never have booked otherwise. Cunning move!
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I have just had a unique experience at the Sheraton Lisboa.
"unique" is being generous. i think the act was ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.