Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:16 am

Post deleted

Last edited by nick.imrie; Oct 26, 2010 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nick.imrie:
I agree that the GM is fantastic, but what did you do to get the special attention from her? Do tell!
</font>
Indeed, that would be telling... (I think she's very skilled actually).

Thanks again and very best of luck for the job, might tempt me over to Le Meridien.

By the way, Lisbon is quite simply the most fantastic city I have been to in a long time... the people are great and restaurants and bars are wonderful. I envy you!
Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:04 am

This is an excellent hotel – as Plat was upgraded to a large suite in the Towers section, with lots of extra amenities (local delicacies, flowers, water, port, etc). At the time the lounge was closed for refurbishment. There is a nice top floor bar and a good restaurant for breakfast (with great local pastries). Location is also pretty good – taxis are very cheap anyway (a huge El Corte Ingles is minutes away, look out for the deli department in the lower ground floor, great for lots of Portuguese specialities).

Recently, the management team has undertaken a new drive to revamp the Towers, which may mean that upgrades are no longer provided to the Towers level but to some of the superior rooms / suites, with access to the lounge (if open, check). But who knows, you might get lucky… In any case I’m pretty sure you will have a great stay.

Not sure if you know Lisbon already but would advise, upon arrival for you to go to the Tourist information desk at the airport, where you can purchase a pre-paid taxi ride to the hotel – makes it a lot easier, considering some rather common taxi practices in town… It’s not significantly more expensive than just getting a cab and you have no surprises (and you can pay with a CC, so that’s another bonus).

Overall my only gripe was with the concierge who proved quite poor at recommending good restaurants… but great hotel made even better by the very low rates available (about 100 euros). Also note the current Amex 2-for-1 promo (www.starwood.com/amex ).

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 7:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canista:

Not sure if you know Lisbon already but would advise, upon arrival for you to go to the Tourist information desk at the airport, where you can purchase a pre-paid taxi ride to the hotel – makes it a lot easier, considering some rather common taxi practices in town… It’s not significantly more expensive than just getting a cab and you have no surprises (and you can pay with a CC, so that’s another bonus).
Hope this helps.
</font>
I was there in April. The pre-paid taxi ride was around 14 euros. When I got back to the airport from the hotel, the taxi fare was around 5 euros.

I agree that it is a good hotel and was quite satisfied with the service.

Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:02 pm

I stayed at this hotel in early May. I had a towers level room with a river view which is actually a nice city view. The room was average size but I was given port and fruit which was replenished daily and I'm only a preferred member, not gold or platnum.

The hotel overall is nice though the lounge was closed for renovations and no alternative was provided. I agree with previous posters that having a drink at the rooftop bar is nice but don't order white port.. I tried it there and it is terrible.

It is not in the heart of lisbon though the metro is a block away and taxis are always outside and a cheap ride to the center. Lisbon is an interesting place to see though I think you've seen it all after 2-3 days. I would recommend a trip to nearby Sintra for a day which has nice castles.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 6:59 am

I agree with the comments in the posts.
I have been twice in this hotel, it's nice hotel and the location is O.K.
They have two "types" of rooms, some are nice renovated rooms, others are worn out. So ask for a renovated room. And ask for an upper floor with a view over Lisbon.
I like to cool my own wine in the refrigerator. Watch out when you do this at this hotel. The fridge has sensors, when you move a Coke or so, a sensor sends a signal to the computer to charge it on your bill.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Planning on staying in Lisbon for conference in September. Currenty debating between this property and the Marriott (both on the executive floor). I have no status with either program.

I was discouraged by the comments on tripadvisor.com. Can anyone provide recent insight regarding this property? Thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
One of the tripadvisor postings was mine (the one from 2002 about taking a standard room because all are the same size and the lounge is rubbish). The only redeeming feature is the pool which, for a late July trip, will be useful to you.

For tourists, the location is rubbish. You want to be within an easy stroll of the main square. I would recommend you look at the NH Liberdade which looked good from the outside and gets a good tripadvisor review. It also has a pool, I believe, and is cheap.

I have also stayed at the Eden Apartotel, which shares the 'best location' prize with the NH. The one-bedders here are great value and come with a lounge and kitchen and face the square (the studios face the back). Lovely building and a pool on the roof. Its cheap as well and was in good nick when I stayed 4 years ago, although it is now under new management and may have slipped. See viphotels.com, or book through Expedia etc.

Lisbon is so (relatively) cheap, however, that you may also want to splurge on the Four Seasons or the Lapa Palace.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:23 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I stayed at the Sheraton Lisbon 3 times late last year at rates that averaged just a hair over the $100 mark. For this price I was upgraded to one of the renovated Towers rooms and to a suite (after asking) the last time. The rooms, while not large, are reasonably sized and I found them quite comfortable. The beds are very firm (as were all other Portuguese hotels beds I stayed in) and they have a down comforter. The bathrooms are full marble and fairly nice with Molton Brown toiletries. The lounge was small, but nicely done and professionally staffed. The tables are nicely set for breakfast in the morning… you can even have made to order eggs.

The location is a bit out of the way, but I would not call it “rubbish”. I just bought cheap day tickets on the transit system (including the trams – a must in Lisbon) and hopped a bus to wherever I wanted to go. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes or stay on the bus for more than 5 minutes (except when they went on strike). Very easy.

The hotel is a real eyesore from the outside, but the it has a certain dated charm about it on the inside. It is something of a time warp… in a positive sense. I felt like I hade just arrived that morning on a Pan Am 707.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
We stayed there last April and were upgraded to a Tower suite. Excellent room with a very nice view of the river. The Tower lounge offers a HOT and COLD buffet breakfast and wine and port along with some light munchies in the evening during their happy hour. Staff in the lounge were extremely friendly and most helpful in selection of restaurants and things to do around town. Highly recommend it. ^
Old Sep 14, 2004, 8:59 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Hey, any newer info? I just booked for November, but I was thinking maybe the Four Seasons may be a better choice after some tripadvisor reviews...
Old Sep 15, 2004, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As the old joke goes, the best thing about staying in the Sheraton Lisbon is that you can't see the Sheraton Lisbon from your window ......

More seriously - even without the pool (too cold in Nov, I reckon) and despite my comments in an earlier post, it is worth using a few SPG points to stay here, or to pay and stay if you need the stay credits. If money is changing hands and you don't need the stay credit, however, I would look elsewhere. I looked at the highly rated NH a few weeks ago and it was offering weekend rooms at just Euro 75. It's not as if you're losing many SPG points because the rates are low here anyway.

Last edited by RJB; Sep 15, 2004 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:09 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
I stayed at the Sheraton Lisboa 11/04 and had a decent stay. The lounge is nice, the breakfast is good - they have a cook do omlettes in the spg tower lounge. The location is pretty good - there is a subway stop across the street so you can get where you need to go pretty quickly.

If you're lucky enough to get the suite it's pretty nice. Otherwise you get a regular room on a high floor. The regular rooms are nice but small. The suites are pretty nice. If you're a tower guest you have to check in on the 24th floor in the lounge.

The amenity for plat was a bottle of port. They also had a free 375 of port on the desk when you get to your room. And they have port in the lounge when you check in. They also put fresh fruit in your room daily.

I even posted a few pics of the regular room - 2412 - on Tourist From Hell.

http://www.touristfromhell.com/index..._album&album=2

I'll post the suite pics later. Nonetheless, it's a good hotel with a good value, I'd definitely stay there again. They do take care of their plats.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:21 pm

The Sheraton Lisboa is a decent place.

The best amenity is a bottle of port. You check in in the lounge in the tower - not the front desk. It's the second to the top floor in the hotel. They have a good breakfast in the lounge.

The problem I had is that I really had to bully them into the upgrade. They thought it was enough to put me in a tiny room because it was on an upper floor. I knew there were suites open and argued until they put me in one.

Also they kept a fresh fruit bowl fresh in my room every day.

I posted a few pics on TFH - These are pics of a standard tower room.

I took pics of the suite but I didn't post them.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by nologic
What should I expect...saying there next Wed. night.

Any suggestions for 1 night alone on the town in Lisbon?
What are you up for? Barrio Alta is cool. Head down to the water from there for more colorful sights.

Last edited by stimpy; Jan 22, 2005 at 10:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.